The Football Thread

Labuyo

3-3

oleguer was red carded before halftime. so when real madrid scored midway sa second half, i thought wala na pag-asa ang barca. but a brilliant individual goal by messi tied it up at the very end.

that was a good game...what i couldn't stand was solar sports putting in some ads while the game was played...sure it was a replay but they still should not put adverstisements (twice) in each half...it destroys the flow of the game especially if you haven't seen the live feed and dependent on the replay...you do not see espn or star sports interrupting the replayed games for ads...besides, who wants to see james yap eating star margarine?

honor the game

Guest bleeding_angel

HERE IS THE LATEST ARTICLE ON THE BECKHAM MOVE:

Beckham bids farewell to Man United fans and Old Trafford

By ROB HARRIS, Associated Press Writer

March 13, 2007

MANCHESTER, England (AP) -- Manchester United turned David Beckham into an international star, and on Tuesday he bid an emotional farewell to Old Trafford before he leaves European soccer for the United States.

Beckham joined United in 1989 at 14, debuted in 1992, and transferred in 2003 to Real Madrid. He will join Major League Soccer's Los Angeles Galaxy after his contract with the Spanish club expires June 30.

"The time I spent at this club was the best time in my whole football career," Beckham told the 74,000-sellout crowd at halftime of a charity match.

Injury forced him to withdraw from a star-filled European side that faced United to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the European Union and the Red Devils' half century of play in continental soccer. Man United won 4-3, getting two goals from Wayne Rooney and one each from Wes Brown and Cristiano Ronaldo. El-Hadji Diouf scored twice for Europe and Florent Malouda had a goal.

Since he moved to Spain, the 31-year-old Beckham had returned to the stadium in northwest England as the captain of England's national team but hadn't been able to personally thank United for 14 years that brought the club many trophies.

"I've waited four years to actually come back and to actually say thank you to the fans and the people of the club," he said.

Beckham won six English Premier League titles and the European Champions League during his United career.

He told fans he was grateful for the strong support shown in his toughest time -- after he was ejected during England's World Cup match against Argentina in 1998.

"I think I wouldn't have got through many things without the people in this stadium," he said.

On the field, he publicly supported United manager Alex Ferguson, who struck Beckham's eye with a football boot on the eve of his departure.

"Everybody knows here that you've got the best manager in the world at this club," he told the crowd to rapturous applause.

United leads the Premier League by nine points and remains in contention for the Champions League and The Football Association Cup.

"I think this team is going to be incredible, and I think they're going to go on and win many things, not just this year but throughout many years to come," he said. "So good luck and thank you."

Updated on Tuesday, Mar 13, 2007 7:29 pm EDT

HERE IS THE LATEST ARTICLE ON THE BECKHAM MOVE:

Beckham bids farewell to Man United fans and Old Trafford

By ROB HARRIS, Associated Press Writer

March 13, 2007

MANCHESTER, England (AP) -- Manchester United turned David Beckham into an international star, and on Tuesday he bid an emotional farewell to Old Trafford before he leaves European soccer for the United States.

Beckham joined United in 1989 at 14, debuted in 1992, and transferred in 2003 to Real Madrid. He will join Major League Soccer's Los Angeles Galaxy after his contract with the Spanish club expires June 30.

"The time I spent at this club was the best time in my whole football career," Beckham told the 74,000-sellout crowd at halftime of a charity match.

Injury forced him to withdraw from a star-filled European side that faced United to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the European Union and the Red Devils' half century of play in continental soccer. Man United won 4-3, getting two goals from Wayne Rooney and one each from Wes Brown and Cristiano Ronaldo. El-Hadji Diouf scored twice for Europe and Florent Malouda had a goal.

Since he moved to Spain, the 31-year-old Beckham had returned to the stadium in northwest England as the captain of England's national team but hadn't been able to personally thank United for 14 years that brought the club many trophies.

"I've waited four years to actually come back and to actually say thank you to the fans and the people of the club," he said.

Beckham won six English Premier League titles and the European Champions League during his United career.

He told fans he was grateful for the strong support shown in his toughest time -- after he was ejected during England's World Cup match against Argentina in 1998.

"I think I wouldn't have got through many things without the people in this stadium," he said.

On the field, he publicly supported United manager Alex Ferguson, who struck Beckham's eye with a football boot on the eve of his departure.

"Everybody knows here that you've got the best manager in the world at this club," he told the crowd to rapturous applause.

United leads the Premier League by nine points and remains in contention for the Champions League and The Football Association Cup.

"I think this team is going to be incredible, and I think they're going to go on and win many things, not just this year but throughout many years to come," he said. "So good luck and thank you."

Updated on Tuesday, Mar 13, 2007 7:29 pm EDT

Bye bye Idol.

the only reason why i'm rooting for manchester united is because of their old guards - giggs, scholes, neville, solskjaer, and that swede who goes by the name of henrik larsson... if only the brats could learn from these guys...

as for roma... what is there not to love from these guys and who would have thought that they'll be in the european quarterfinals?... still, they owe a lot to juventus... ^_^

Edited by teio
as roma is dangerous but i think manutd can take them on and win :D

i miss becks pin point crosses and free kicks lalo na't pag magkasabay sila ni giggs on both wings & with scholes and keane in the middle, one of the best midfields in the game..

Yup, gone are the days. Now, it's about "theatrical" skills and temper management from hard- headed youngsters. :D

the only reason why i'm rooting for manchester united is because of their old guards - giggs, scholes, neville, solskjaer, and that swede who goes by the name of henrik larsson... if only the brats could learn from these guys...

as for roma... what is there not to love from these guys and who would have thought that they'll be in the european quarterfinals?... still, they owe a lot to juventus... ^_^

Yup! Kung walang scandal na nangyari, malamang Juve at AC Milan pa rin ang nasa top ng table. The Bianconerri will be back next season... kaya humanda na silang lahat. B)

i don't think larsson will be playing more champions league games...his last was againts lille...he will be joining his swedish team by march

in fairness to rooney and c.ronaldo, they are starting to mature and get better, they wouldn't be on top of the EPL and in the CL quarterfinals if not for the play of these guys,time can only tell whether they will turn out the way giggs, scholes, neville, beckham and keane..but with what i'm seeing right now with these two, they will be great players (even better than they are right now..)...

sir alex should've bought the services of larsson way before, he is one quality player, knows how to position himself in positions where he can help not only himself but also his teammates to score, great passing for a forward, he doesn't look old when he plays, a good move by sir alex to loan him even for just 3 months..

its sad what happened to ac milan and juventus, what great teams with great players, but they deserved the punishment...i'm sure they will be back at the top level by next season..

interesting column on brazil and dribbling:

COLUMN-Soccer-Dribbling becomes a sin in Brazil

By Brian Homewood

RIO DE JANEIRO, March 16 (Reuters) - One of the most abiding moments of the 2002 World Cup was Brazilian winger Denilson taking the ball into the corner and dribbling around in a circle chased by half the Turkey team.

Brazil were leading 1-0 in the semi-final with seconds left and commentators and fans went wild with delight, hailing Denilson's irreverence and cheeky skills as a classic piece of Brazilian play.

Yet when Brazilian players are on the wrong end of similar trickery, they fail to see the funny side.

Had Denilson tried a similar trick in his homeland, there is a good chance his antics would have provoked a brawl and it is even possible the game would not have finished.

Incredibly, for a country that produced players such as Garrincha and Pele, dribbling is often considered a provocative humiliation of an opponent, a breach of fair play and even an insult to the victim's manhood.

Ten days ago, Corinthians players bitterly criticised Palmeiras midfielder Jorge Valdivia for dribbling too much during a derby against them.

Valdivia, a Chilean international, inspired Palmeiras to a 3-0 win and afterwards received a thinly-veiled warning from Corinthians coach Emerson Leao.

"I'm worried about what might happen to him in the future because he has technique but he exaggerates," said Leao after his team had taken it in turns to kick the Chilean.

"I worried that something more serious might happen to him in the future."

KEEPY-UPPY PROVOCATION

Corinthians and Palmeiras share a bitter rivalry -- it can only take a few "Oles" from the crowd to spark trouble -- and have already provided an extreme example of what can happen.

Back in 1999, the sides met to decide the Paulista championship in a two-leg final.

With Corinthians enjoying a three-goal aggregate lead and only a few minutes to play, forward Edilson decided it was time for some famed Brazilian trickery and nonchalantly began playing keepy-uppy in midfield.

The gesture incensed the Palmeiras players, who chased him off the field. A vicious brawl ensued, with players exchanging punches and karate kicks, and the referee abandoned the match.

Edilson did nothing outside the laws of the game, yet he was punished rather than the brawlers.

The following day, Vanderlei Luxemburgo, then Brazil coach, dropped him from the squad for the Copa America.

Since then, the dividing line between what is considered a legitimate dribble and an attempt to belittle the opposition has become ever thinner.

Another startling incident happened in 2002 when Coritiba striker Jaba performed a couple of cheeky stepovers against Santos -- and in doing so gave away a free kick.

"The rule says that a player cannot endanger an opponent or himself," said referee Leonardo Gaciba.

"He wasn't being objective so I awarded a free kick to protect him. If somebody had broken his leg, they will say that I was not clamping down on violence."

The same year, the second division match between Sport Recife and Botafogo-Ribeirao Preto was abandoned in the last minute when a Sport player was chased off the pitch by opponents for more ball-juggling.

ROBINHO BULLIED

That was the year in which Robinho, now with Real Madrid, burst on to the scene and he also had to cope with threats and bullying.

"Players get angry when they get dribbled all the time," said Gremio goalkeeper Danrlei after his side lost 3-0 to a Robinho-inspired performance. "He could end up having his leg broken."

Former winger Edu, who could send the crowd into raptures when he played for Santos in the 1970s, is baffled by current attitudes.

"The dribble is a tool which makes the team more offensive," he told the Estado de Sao Paulo newspaper.

"The intelligent dribble...is the essence of football. And now, even this they want to take away," he said.

"The problem is that in modern football, there are few players who can do it. When one appears, everybody jumps on top of him. During my career, I never heard anyone complaining about my dribbling."

Sao Paulo were the latest victims of the war on dribbling when striker Leandro was criticised by rivals Santos following Sunday's 1-1 draw.

"That's his way of playing," said coach Muricy Ramalho. "He likes to attack and in today's football, with so little space, the dribble is a way of taking someone out of the game."

"But it seems that today, you can't do a nice dribble any more."

interesting column on brazil and dribbling:

COLUMN-Soccer-Dribbling becomes a sin in Brazil

By Brian Homewood

RIO DE JANEIRO, March 16 (Reuters) - One of the most abiding moments of the 2002 World Cup was Brazilian winger Denilson taking the ball into the corner and dribbling around in a circle chased by half the Turkey team.

Brazil were leading 1-0 in the semi-final with seconds left and commentators and fans went wild with delight, hailing Denilson's irreverence and cheeky skills as a classic piece of Brazilian play.

Yet when Brazilian players are on the wrong end of similar trickery, they fail to see the funny side.

Had Denilson tried a similar trick in his homeland, there is a good chance his antics would have provoked a brawl and it is even possible the game would not have finished.

Incredibly, for a country that produced players such as Garrincha and Pele, dribbling is often considered a provocative humiliation of an opponent, a breach of fair play and even an insult to the victim's manhood.

Ten days ago, Corinthians players bitterly criticised Palmeiras midfielder Jorge Valdivia for dribbling too much during a derby against them.

Valdivia, a Chilean international, inspired Palmeiras to a 3-0 win and afterwards received a thinly-veiled warning from Corinthians coach Emerson Leao.

"I'm worried about what might happen to him in the future because he has technique but he exaggerates," said Leao after his team had taken it in turns to kick the Chilean.

"I worried that something more serious might happen to him in the future."

KEEPY-UPPY PROVOCATION

Corinthians and Palmeiras share a bitter rivalry -- it can only take a few "Oles" from the crowd to spark trouble -- and have already provided an extreme example of what can happen.

Back in 1999, the sides met to decide the Paulista championship in a two-leg final.

With Corinthians enjoying a three-goal aggregate lead and only a few minutes to play, forward Edilson decided it was time for some famed Brazilian trickery and nonchalantly began playing keepy-uppy in midfield.

The gesture incensed the Palmeiras players, who chased him off the field. A vicious brawl ensued, with players exchanging punches and karate kicks, and the referee abandoned the match.

Edilson did nothing outside the laws of the game, yet he was punished rather than the brawlers.

The following day, Vanderlei Luxemburgo, then Brazil coach, dropped him from the squad for the Copa America.

Since then, the dividing line between what is considered a legitimate dribble and an attempt to belittle the opposition has become ever thinner.

Another startling incident happened in 2002 when Coritiba striker Jaba performed a couple of cheeky stepovers against Santos -- and in doing so gave away a free kick.

"The rule says that a player cannot endanger an opponent or himself," said referee Leonardo Gaciba.

"He wasn't being objective so I awarded a free kick to protect him. If somebody had broken his leg, they will say that I was not clamping down on violence."

The same year, the second division match between Sport Recife and Botafogo-Ribeirao Preto was abandoned in the last minute when a Sport player was chased off the pitch by opponents for more ball-juggling.

ROBINHO BULLIED

That was the year in which Robinho, now with Real Madrid, burst on to the scene and he also had to cope with threats and bullying.

"Players get angry when they get dribbled all the time," said Gremio goalkeeper Danrlei after his side lost 3-0 to a Robinho-inspired performance. "He could end up having his leg broken."

Former winger Edu, who could send the crowd into raptures when he played for Santos in the 1970s, is baffled by current attitudes.

"The dribble is a tool which makes the team more offensive," he told the Estado de Sao Paulo newspaper.

"The intelligent dribble...is the essence of football. And now, even this they want to take away," he said.

"The problem is that in modern football, there are few players who can do it. When one appears, everybody jumps on top of him. During my career, I never heard anyone complaining about my dribbling."

Sao Paulo were the latest victims of the war on dribbling when striker Leandro was criticised by rivals Santos following Sunday's 1-1 draw.

"That's his way of playing," said coach Muricy Ramalho. "He likes to attack and in today's football, with so little space, the dribble is a way of taking someone out of the game."

"But it seems that today, you can't do a nice dribble any more."

lesson learned: don't be fancy

ManUtd with a 4-1 thrashing of Bolton, 2 goals by Rooney & another 2 from Park, a late penalty for Bolton from Gary Speed..Chelsea keep pace with a 3-0 win over Sheffield United..sad for ManU that their skipper, Gary Neville is out for 3weeks due to an ankle injury..konti na lang Champion na ulit Red Devils ko (if ManUtd win their games up to Mar31, they will be crowned as the new champions of the EPL :D )

Wawa si Ben Foster ng Watford, nakagoal sa kanya si Paul Robinson (gk ng Tottenham) from 75yards away, napahiya tuloy ang bata, mali judgement sa bounce ng ball..

I watched EL Classico, what a game, Messi with a hat trick, that kid is good..

watched the tottenham-watford game, ben foster (gk) totally misjudged the ball's bounce, it was paul robinson's 2nd goal of his career..

did anybody watch the replay of chelsea&tottenham, what a wonder strike by shevchenko for his 13th goal of the season, too bad he can only do it during the FA cup & not in the EPL or the CL, Chelsea would be a formidable opponent if both Drogba & Sheva were playing good..

nice win by the Red Devils over Middlesborough, stupid challenge by woodgate to c.ronaldo for a penalty..

FAcup semis:

Watford vs. ManUtd

Chelsea vs. Blackburn

Eventual finalists? ManUtd vs Chelsea, that would be a great final..

Arsenal lost 1-0 to Everton, Liverpool have a 0-0 draw to Aston Villa, the Reds just 1 pt behind the Gunnars in the EPL standings..

argh... wala na PSG sa uefa cup... :(

Yup. Relegation threatened na nga, na-silat pa sa 2nd leg ng UEFA cup. What a bad season for PSG.

anyone have the vid where the goalie scored a goal?? :cool:

anyone have the vid where the goalie scored a goal?? :cool:

I think its in www.metacafe.com already.

Yep ang ganda nang FA cup finals kung CFC vs MANU. Pero uncertain kung sino ang mananalo. 50-50 chance eh depending if both sides play well. but the odds are against MANU on that one. mas maraming wins ang CFC over them the past few meetings.

Pero pag BLA VS MANU its 65-45 to united :P

Anyone seen the REAL Madrid VS Gymnastic game?

abakit parang hirap na hirap ang real sa mga ito diba they are i think bottom of the La Liga? hayzzz....