The Football Thread

Labuyo

out of the 4 teams i rooted for in the champions league, only 2 survive.

the most disappointing was olympiakos, finishing bottom of the group without a win. i guess rivaldo's european swan-song was not mean to be.

cska moscow did cause a commotion taking 4 points from arsenal but ended up short. at least they have a chance to win the uefa cup once again.

barcelona barely made it. they are sorely missing the pace and work-rate of eto'o. gudjohnsen is a class striker, but he is totally different from eto'o. if eto'o does come back next year, barca will be hard to deal with. they could go with the speed of eto'o or the guile of gudjohnsen.

lyon is simply the best team in europe right now based on performance. they are what, maybe 50 points ahead of everyone in france? and they made real madrid look like fake madrid. i would say they are the favorites to make it to the final. hanep if they meet chelsea or barcelona next round. i'd bet on lyon, especially if fred is available na by then.

out of the 4 teams i rooted for in the champions league, only 2 survive.

the most disappointing was olympiakos, finishing bottom of the group without a win. i guess rivaldo's european swan-song was not mean to be.

cska moscow did cause a commotion taking 4 points from arsenal but ended up short. at least they have a chance to win the uefa cup once again.

barcelona barely made it. they are sorely missing the pace and work-rate of eto'o. gudjohnsen is a class striker, but he is totally different from eto'o. if eto'o does come back next year, barca will be hard to deal with. they could go with the speed of eto'o or the guile of gudjohnsen.

lyon is simply the best team in europe right now based on performance. they are what, maybe 50 points ahead of everyone in france? and they made real madrid look like fake madrid. i would say they are the favorites to make it to the final. hanep if they meet chelsea or barcelona next round. i'd bet on lyon, especially if fred is available na by then.

Though not a Lyon fan, I really hope they'd make it at least at the semi-finals. I have three teams left (Arsenal, Valencia, Barca). Kaya lang mukhang tagilid lahat umabot sa semis. If Valencia's injured list won't stop, they'll surely be out soon. Arsenal should play better football or they won't make it. And for Barca, maybe Ronaldinho should not cease in giving his best, so far he's getting his groove back.

Edited by dj_flip03
aww walang team dito that tickles my fancy.

last time,I rooted for Sao Paolo coz of Ceni,hes a weird GK,he scores too! :P

yeah, ceni is definitely unique. he just recently won player of the year in brazil's annual awards. he is actually currently joint topscorer for sao paolo this year (all of them from free kicks and penalty kicks). he has 68 top flight goals so far in his career, making him the highest scoring goalkeeper in history.

barcelona is definitely the favorite, but internacional has some very good players. their best player is fernandao, who leads the attack. but the one getting the most attention is 17 yr old striker alexandre rodrigues da silva, or pato as he is more known. he is a possible future star for brazil.

8pts pa din lead ng ManUtd :) go Red Devils!!!

sa isang interview sbi ni jose mourinho may conspiracy daw ang Arsenal w/ ManUtd, kasi the Gunnars played a more conservative style or more defensive minded during their game in which they drew 1-1,

Arsenal are now 18pts behind & Chelsea 8 Pts..

Jose Mourinho si such a poor loser tsk tsk tsk..

8pts pa din lead ng ManUtd :) go Red Devils!!!

sa isang interview sbi ni jose mourinho may conspiracy daw ang Arsenal w/ ManUtd, kasi the Gunnars played a more conservative style or more defensive minded during their game in which they drew 1-1,

Arsenal are now 18pts behind & Chelsea 8 Pts..

Jose Mourinho si such a poor loser tsk tsk tsk..

Grabe naman talaga mag-isip tong si Mourinho.

kawawa naman si allan pardew....... :(

So, who's gonna replace him? Sven? :cool:

odds are high that it's gonna be another allan taking over at upton park. this time it's allan curbishley, the former charlton manager who was a west ham midfielder during his younger days.

kawawa lang si allan pardew in the sense na he was assured that he's got the new owner's support when magnusson took over almost a month ago.pero what followed were disastrous losses to wigan and bolton kaya ayun...nasibak tuloy sya. it's not really the manager's fault, maraming west ham players na performing below par this season...e.g. harewood,reo-coker,mullins. nadagdagan pa nung dumating yung 2 argentinians, imbes na makatulong,nakasama pa.

di bale.....their next game is against man united, malamang babawi ang hammers sa premiership leaders ( ha ha ha). peace tayo, red shirt!

on a different note, nakasabay ko last week habang nagpapark ako, si bobby zamora (west ham striker) nauto ko na magpakuha ng picture. ang bait mga brods,wala ere sa katawan. di katulad ni shrek rooney na isnabero nung makita ko last year.

odds are high that it's gonna be another allan taking over at upton park. this time it's allan curbishley, the former charlton manager who was a west ham midfielder during his younger days.

kawawa lang si allan pardew in the sense na he was assured that he's got the new owner's support when magnusson took over almost a month ago.pero what followed were disastrous losses to wigan and bolton kaya ayun...nasibak tuloy sya. it's not really the manager's fault, maraming west ham players na performing below par this season...e.g. harewood,reo-coker,mullins. nadagdagan pa nung dumating yung 2 argentinians, imbes na makatulong,nakasama pa.

di bale.....their next game is against man united, malamang babawi ang hammers sa premiership leaders ( ha ha ha). peace tayo, red shirt!

on a different note, nakasabay ko last week habang nagpapark ako, si bobby zamora (west ham striker) nauto ko na magpakuha ng picture. ang bait mga brods,wala ere sa katawan. di katulad ni shrek rooney na isnabero nung makita ko last year.

well, yan talaga problema if you are the manager. "the buck stops here", as they say. you are responsible for the team's performance, whether its your fault or not.

barcelona is definitely the favorite, but internacional has some very good players. their best player is fernandao, who leads the attack. but the one getting the most attention is 17 yr old striker alexandre rodrigues da silva, or pato as he is more known. he is a possible future star for brazil.

Brazil's Pato helps Internacional into world club final

by Talek Harris

December 13, 2006

TOKYO (AFP) - Brazilian wonderkid Alexandre Pato has produced a dazzling display as Internacional beat Egypt's Al Ahly 2-1 to reach the Club World Cup final.

The yellow-booted Pato, 17, scored once on Wednesday and had a goal disallowed before being taken off injured in the second half.

Angolan striker Flavio headed an equaliser after half-time only for Pato's 19-year-old replacement, Luiz Adriano, to find the winner on 72 minutes.

Pato, nicknamed 'The Duck', was straight into the action and found the net after nine minutes only for his header to be disallowed for offside.

He then directed a firm header over the bar before opening the scoring in the 23rd minute courtesy of a defensive bungle.

The youngster couldn't control a through pass but when the ball came back off an Ahly defender, he turned unmarked and swept it into the bottom right-hand corner.

The African champions came back strongly with playmaker Mohamed Aboutrika slamming a swivel-and-shot against the post and Emad El Nahas forcing a spectacular save from Inter 'keeper Clemer with a driving free-kick.

On half-time Pato was picked out by a long pass but shot weakly, while Mohamed Shawky missed with an acrobatic bicycle-kick at the other end.

After the break Pato turned on the style, juggling the ball on his shoulder and heel as he charged down the wing.

But Inter switched off at the back and found their lead erased when they gave away the ball from a defensive throw.

Tarek Said crossed to the unmarked Flavio whose diagonal header looped past Clemer in the Inter goal on 54 minutes.

Inter's woes appeared to increase when Pato was carried off clutching his right ankle on 63 minutes. Braga later said the injury was only minor.

But his replacement Luiz Adriano soon restored Inter's advantage with a glancing near-post header from Ceara's corner just eight minutes after he took the field.

Pato earned rave reviews in his debut for Inter last month, scoring with his first touch, setting up two more goals and heading against the post in less than an hour.

Interest from foreign clubs, including Arsenal, prompted Inter to give him a new three-year contract at five times his previous wages with a 20 million dollar buy-out clause.

Inter qualified for the tournament when they won their first South American title in August, beating Sao Paulo 4-3 in the two-legged final.

Sao Paulo won last year's Club World Cup with a 1-0 win over Liverpool in the final.

Updated on Wednesday, Dec 13, 2006 11:39 am EST

Well I guess Alan Curbishley will do better than Pardew as he did with Charlton before he stepped down.

PSG are through to the last 32 in the UEFA Cup via goal difference, galing!!! La pa ring kupas si Pauleta. I wonder who among the UEFA CL kickouts will they be meeting on the KO round..?

i hope west ham improves and gets out of ther relegation zone...and yung c carlos tevez at javier mascherano magaling yun...its either cguro hindi pa cla maka adapt tlga or hindi ganun ka effective yung previous manager in handling them. curbishley i believe can turn things around for them and the team. :)

Champions League Draw:

FC Porto (POR) v Chelsea (ENG)

Celtic (SCO) v AC Milan (ITA)

PSV Eindhoven (NED) v Arsenal (ENG)

Lille (FRA) v Manchester United (ENG)

AS Roma (ITA) v Lyon (FRA)

Barcelona (ESP) v Liverpool (ENG)

Real Madrid (ESP) v Bayern Munich (GER)

Inter Milan (ITA) v Valencia (ESP)

its a good draw for man utd. lille is probably the weakest team left. madami din na "juicy" encounters: liverpool and barcelona, the 2005 champions against the 2006 champions; chelsea and porto, jose mourinho up against the club he guided to the summit in 2004; and the best match-up real madrid and bayern munich, two european heavyweights.

Champions League Draw:

FC Porto (POR) v Chelsea (ENG)

Celtic (SCO) v AC Milan (ITA)

PSV Eindhoven (NED) v Arsenal (ENG)

Lille (FRA) v Manchester United (ENG)

AS Roma (ITA) v Lyon (FRA)

Barcelona (ESP) v Liverpool (ENG)

Real Madrid (ESP) v Bayern Munich (GER)

Inter Milan (ITA) v Valencia (ESP)

its a good draw for man utd. lille is probably the weakest team left. madami din na "juicy" encounters: liverpool and barcelona, the 2005 champions against the 2006 champions; chelsea and porto, jose mourinho up against the club he guided to the summit in 2004; and the best match-up real madrid and bayern munich, two european heavyweights.

malas din ng roma...lyon pa...celtic may chance din..kakalat ang milan ngyn...

Ang pinaka aabangan ko dito is the VALENCIA vs. INTER MILAN match. These two clubs were bitter rivals since 2001!Remember the last time they "squared-off" at each other (2004-05 CL), when Adriano got red carded? Baka magka-sapakan na naman dito.

The Liverpool - Barca match is also one helluva match (malamang midfield battle to).

By the way, sa UEFA Cup naman - I'm looking forward to the W.Bremen - AJAX match. Sana umulan ng goals!!!!(in favor of AJAX, of course!) :cool: Plus, Klose will probably be gone (rumored to be transfering to Juve!!!) by that time. Kaya sana di bitawan ng AJAX si Huntelaar.

Maganda din yung laban ng B.Leverkeusen - Blackburn Rovers.

Also, PSG will face AEK Athens, haha, kaya nila to!!!

I hope we'll get to see some good signings this coming transfer season.

Real bought another striker?! (Gago from Boca Juniors), well I guess kelangan nga nila since most forward are already ageing.

Miccoli back to Juve and then signing Klose??? Ayos to in preparation of the Bianconeri's return to Serie A!!!