Tips For The Newly Graduates

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

during my fresh grad days and after my licensure exam, I saw to it that I had about a month's rest which I deserve after going through those grueling reviews, long hours of memorization and years of studying.. then after, it was of to my destiny (whatever that was).. I remember going through every newspaper to scan every prospective jobs available relevant to what I've finished and then listing them down.. with a number of options in hand, I went to Makati and personally handed my cv to each and everyone of these prospective employers.. I recall having to walk for hours so as not to spend to much on transpo fare while trying to find each of these offices.. doing this while perspiring under the heat of the sun and in my long sleeves and tie.. undergoing nerve wrecking interviews then rejections..

bottomline is you have to be mentally and physically prepared to what you're getting into.. a good nights sleep before D day, having an idea about the company and their job requirement.. making a well-rounded cv and looking your best are just a few of those things which will be of help.. as fresh grads we are beaming with hopes and sometimes tend to become idealistic of what work we should land into.. minsan mas maganda na di tayo masyado mapili unless of course your one of the topnotchers in your field.. with determination and a little luck, you'll eventually get that nod from an employer and even land your dream job.. then comes another picture; keeping your work and succeeding in it which is another story

nowadays it is very helpful if you know how to use the internet in searching and applying for a job..

Habaan ang pisi pagnagtrabaho ka na.....maraming nagkakahighblood later on in people's lives dahil sa kunsomisyon sa opisina.

Always be prepared to be betrayed. You are all vying to be promoted. In the end, it's every man for himself

Start from the entry level....kung gusto mo maging boss agad e di magnegosyo ka

Kung pwepwede mag grad studies ka na.....

kung may board ang course mo, definitely dapat review right after graduation. tapos exam na habang fresh pa lahat ng info sa utak mo. after that pahinga muna. wag masyado magmadali hanap ng work dahil chances are you'll be working for the next 30 years of your life.

for job hunting naman, dapat mamili carefully ng papasukan. dapat ung job na kukunin nyo is related sa field nyo and naka-linya sa career path na gusto nyo sundan. call centers are a good short term jobs for improving your english and communication skills. however, one should not stay there for too long. hanap dapat agad ng better work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm about job interviews. It's all about selling yourself. Tell the interviewer what is it that you really want in life and be bold about your statement. State your strengths and even weaknesses. Tell them what you expect the company to give you and what can the company expect from you. Don't show them that you need them to live. Show them that THEY need you.

It doesn't matter if you're from a sucky 3rd rate college or from the top 3 of the country (Lasalle, Ateneo, UP). If you have the confidence about the job and you really know what you're doing, go go go lang! :D

About salary, don't expect a high starting salary UNLESS they were the ones who are inviting you to join their company. Know your real worth by canvassing. Apply other companies as well even if you don't like their job to get a good grip on what's the median salary for your job. There's no harm in trying naman diba? hehehehe. Malay mo you could use that to bid with your prospect employer.

About applying naman sa ibang country. Mejo alangan tayo kasi 3rd world tayo eh unless you're really good at what you're doing. Try getting job experience first before getting into greener pastures. Singapore is one of the major filipino brain suckers if you're in the I.T. field pero mostly yung mga may experience yung kinukuha nila.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

APPLYING/INTERVIEW:

1. Your picture on your resume must be a FORMAL one...hindi yung pang-friendster! at hindi rin cardboard ang gamit na paper.

2. Have a background check on the company you're applying at.

3. Business attire (NOT jeans/shirt/flat sandals/open-toe sandals/rubbershoes).

4. Be punctual.

5. Check your physical appearance...hair, nails, buttons, etc..

6. Bring pen and paper.

7. Maintain eye contact during interview.

8. English as much as possible.

Additional:

1. Know your where you are good at.

2. Dont't jump from one job to another or from one company to another...it's going to cause you a bad record.

3. Wag mag-expect kaagad ng mataas na salary...tataas din naman yan e.

Edited by Season_Girl
  • 1 month later...

1) For any interview, first or 100th, be yourself, be honest, highlight your strengths and skills

2) Use a recruiter when looking for a job in addition to classifieds, you'll interview once at the recruiter and they'll send your resume' to many employers

3) First job is just a stepping stone, get your foot in the door, do an awesome job, and if you don't like it, start looking again while you're still there

4) Remember to ask about salary and especially benefits before accepting offer, don't be afraid to ask for a day or two to think it over

5) Emphasize your hard work ethic and ability to be on time and present everyday

6) Ask about the company, people love to talk about their jobs

7) Neat, conservative appearance

8) Bring copy of your resume' to interview with references

9) The day after interview, send thank you note to interviewer

10) Don't get discouraged, the interviews you think go badly will often be the jobs you get, it's a numbers game, just keep going and you'll find something

11) First job will be hard, low paying, grunt work. Accept it and later you'll get your success

12) Listen to people who have more experience than you

13) Don't be afraid to form your own opinions, just keep them to yourself in most cases until you're sure they're valuable enough to share

14) Show up to work a little early, leave a little late

15) Always say good morning to the boss, and good night, they appreciate it in most cases, it's lonely at the top!

16) Don't constantly bring problems to the boss, if you must, have a solution in mind to share

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to add to the previous post. It helps if you can formulate set replies to standard questions like "Describe yourself" or "How do you see yourself 5 years from now?"

Rehearse your replies in front of the mirror. That way you can see your facial expression.

STAY IN SCHOOL FOR THE LONGEST TIME, no kidding! there's no rush in stepping into the real world, because the real world sucks and its gravitates on money,carnal pleasure,and of course more pleasure. The real deal is the moment you get out of school, you go back to square one, you dont have any money and you'll be living at your parents expense! You couldnt afford to pay the motel..and buy your gf fancy dinners. STAY IN SCHOOOL! its cool.

APPLYING/INTERVIEW:

1. Your picture on your resume must be a FORMAL one...hindi yung pang-friendster! at hindi rin cardboard ang gamit na paper.

2. Have a background check on the company you're applying at.

3. Business attire (NOT jeans/shirt/flat sandals/open-toe sandals/rubbershoes).

4. Be punctual.

5. Check your physical appearance...hair, nails, buttons, etc..

6. Bring pen and paper.

7. Maintain eye contact during interview.

8. English as much as possible.

Additional:

1. Know your where you are good at.

2. Dont't jump from one job to another or from one company to another...it's going to cause you a bad record.

3. Wag mag-expect kaagad ng mataas na salary...tataas din naman yan e.

i completely agree.

just to add, nothing beats being confident about who you are and the character/talent/skill you can offer to the company.

Bring with you at least a little bit of knowledge about what you are applying for. Try to impress them with your knowledge and broadness. Do not act childish and be always try to look professional. Finally, look confident and exciting. Nobody likes a boring person.

Edited by eternalchaos
invest in smart office clothes as early as college.

start going to the gym, you wont have time to work out once you start working

don't burn bridges with college or highschool friends.

ang tips ko sa newly graduate ay maghanap agad ng trabaho

para hindi makalimutan ang pinagaralan.

When applying for work... dont forget:

1. Ur resume of course!!! with scanned picture. Never place a picture na cut out lang from other photos!! have your pic in a studio.

2. Black ballpen or black sign pen (never use blue)

3. Keep ur resume clean and do not fold it.. unless u will submit ur resume in an envelope. fold it nicely.

if you do not have an envelope.. place it in a clean folder or brown envelope.

4. for a two pages resume... never use a clip paper.. staple it or just leave it unstapled.

5. Bring extra 2x2 or 1x1 pictures. If you have other credentials such as: TOR, Diploma.. bRING IT!

6. Wear business attire clothes. keep ur fingernails clean. hair combed and avoid wearing too much jewelries (esp for ladies)

7. You should know what u have written in your resume.

8. Be yourself and show your Best!!! Good luck!!

Pag may kulang pa... add na lang kayo!!!