• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Tips For The Newly Graduates

I'll divide my two cents into different parts.

PART 1

Job hunting - We're in the Information Age where every knowledge or information is easily accessible and disseminated thru the internet. You need to utilize effectively and efficiently its convenience.

a. You may search for various templates of resume which you think would best reflect and present your info that is more enticing to your prospect companies.

b. When job hunting, post your resume in various job sites.

c. When selecting companies who've taken interest in your application, search for reviews of the workplace condition and benefits. Ask the questions: What is their workdays, Mon to Fri? Mon to Sat? What is their working hours, is it flexible, is it fixed hours? Is there a work from home arrangement? What are your expected salaries and benefits? Where is their workplace, is it near your residence? If it is far, are you willing to rent a place near it? What is the attitude of the bosses and employees? And others.

To sum it up, utilize properly the vast resources and knowledge available just by our fingertips. Do your research well before doing or entering into something.

Keep an eye open for opportunities.  Give yourself a timeline.  Don’t get stuck in a dead end job.  In a span of three years I had 6 jobs.  The sixth became my permanent endeavor although never in my wildest dream did I think I would go into this.  I was all set to join SMC.  Buti NA lang.

Hope any fresh grads or maybe just people looking for work will find this helpful.

Resume:
 PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!! DO NOT and I REPEAT DO NOT PUT YOUR SSS, PHILHEALTH, TIN, OR ANY GOVERNMENT ID # ON YOUR RESUME ALONG WITH YOUR SIGNATURE - I know this seems pretty obvious, but this comes up quite a lot and personally pasalamat mga nag apply sa company na winowork ko dito sa PH before cause I take the extra 10 minutes to take it out of their resumes bago i-paso. Doing all of this is just asking for identity theft guys kulang nalang ilagay nyo banking info nyo eh.

2. Standard is to keep this ideally within 1 page if fresh grad ka. Maybe 2-3 if you have experience. If fresh grad ka or first job hunting I'm sure the most difficult part is how to put anything in experiences. I would say/hope you did some kind of work in Orgs honestly and try to align responsibilities in project management etc. there in your resume. I think if walang wala talaga maybe try to put what you learned nalang from school that may align with the work/internship.

Job Hunting:
1. Pass as many applications as you can - Personally been trying to advise a lot of people with job searches since recruitment/HR professional talaga work ko now (Not PH based nga lang company ko). I often hear that people feel like they applied to "a lot" of jobs when they only applied to about 10-20. Realistically if you're a fresh grad or someone just starting out, and or transitioning ka to a new career you will have to throw yourself out there for closer to 50-100 maybe even 200+ to get a chance. Sadly unless you have experience that's really aligned with the job already, or you're reffered by a former colleague, fam member etc. Mahirap din talaga maka progress.

2. Research companies you're applying too - Linkedin, Jobstreet, Glassdoor is your friend. I mean all companies would have detrators pa din naman pero it is a good indicator pa din naman. Just be on the lookout din if totoong 5 star review binabasa nyo by seeing if may substantial feedback and comments on the company yung nag-iwan ng reviews. Meron kasi ako experience sa company pinapa-iwan lahat ng employees ng 5 star review sa BU namin pag feel nila gusto pataasin pero ayon di kami nag lalagay ng feedback AT ALL pag ganun, or yung iba gagawin 5 stars pero pag binasa mo yung pro and cons. Walang pro tapos puro cons amp haha. 

3. While researching the company make sure to also take notes. Interviews are two way streets it's impressive if you get to ask the manager things about the work naman na hindi lang about pay, benefits, etc. I know at the end of the day perang pera lang din naman tayo lahat pero ayaw naman natin na mukhang perang pera lang tayo kahit kunyari lang mag mukha tayong interested talaga sa kanila hahaha. 

4. Have a clear goal!, but don't let it be the end-all be all - One of the biggest things that I've suggested to my friends and colleagues din to great success is to look-up pa din mga high level jobs in their "DREAM" companies ESPECIALLY if di sila fit for it at the moment. Why? Basically it's for them to know ano ba mga need and top trends na hanap sa market ng mga company na yun. Ano ba yung mga certificates na need i try to get, ano ba yung usual responsibilities that I want to build into, etc. Tapos try to land opportunities that seem like they're leading you there so you can eventually land a role with the company you really want. That said don't let it dictate you forever and let it be the only thing you think about. Remember: Madaming company din dyan, madaming depts etc. Sure madami epal pero may maayos din naman. Look out for yourself and assess mo nalang baka magustuhan mo din where you land etc. Parang reach for the stars land in the clouds kung baga.

Interviews:
1. Prepare a copy of your resume lalo na pag on-line. Maybe practice ka din sa google meets by launching one in your account. I would suggest placing your camera somewhere sa laptop - PC screen if possible then you put your resume tab near it para you can look through it with your notes while having it appear like you're making eye contact still. 

2. Practice Practice Practice - Always practice what you want to say and practice with sample questions online in front of the mirror. If alam mo na may weakness ka try to dance around it if you can and lead the conversation to some of the best accomplishments you've done. 

3. Remember interviews are two way streets! - In the same way they are assessing you. You should assess them in what they're saying, Ask questions about what you find about their company in a respectful manner and see if it seems like a company you see yourself growing in. Di naman masamang mag pull-out sa process if you feel it's a bad fit.

• 3 weeks later...

-take a break bago maghanap ng trabaho. pwede na 1-2 resume. 

-wag masyadong pihikan sa pagpili ng first job. it is part of the journey being a professional.

-magtanong sa mga nakatatanda kung paano sumagot sa job interviews. in my experience, wag na wag kang sasablay sa tanong na HOW DO YOU SEE YOURSELF IN THE NEXT 5 YEARS, if ever the company hires you?

wag na wag mong sasabihin na stepping stone mo lang talaga sila or you will pursue your other goals in life na hindi related sa company.

-try to stay for at least one (1) year. it is good for your resume