San Miguel Beer

• 5 months later...

I saw the game, was it a collapse or were they just a bunch of choke artists?

how can a defending champion (winner of 2/3 last season) and WITHOUT their BEST PLAYER be choke artists just because they squander a 12pt lead?

it happens, specially VERSUS ALASKA (in any teams against them)

The lost of Arwind added to their misery, it is still a VALIANT and great EFFORT na nahirapan pa din ang ACES, hindi walk in the park ang panalo nila.

you're talking about what they did from 2 tournaments ago, i was referring to what they did this game. they don't have their best player and yet they were leading big. how could a defending champion, who was doing pretty well thru 3 quarters score only 16 in the 4th quarter. Not to mention their defense disappeared in the 4th letting Alaska score 34 points. The last game against Rain or Shine, they won with defense and came back to win that game. Where was this defense against Alaska?

Take note, they didn't have their best player either in that Rain or shine game because of injury. I don't think it should be an excuse just because they don't have Fajardo it's supposed to make it more difficult for them to win.

If they showed any effort at all, they should have been more active defensively. The shots on offense can go hot or cold but you can make up for it with your defensive effort. 34-16 in the 4th. This stat was also glaring to me, San Miguel is the bigger team here, why were they outrebounded 46-28? Alaska was crashing the boards. They got 19 offensive boards to 8. Arwind got 15 rebounds against Rain or Shine, he didn't hit double digits in this game. Personal fouls are not an excuse to get rebounds.

Even with the lost of Arwind they were still doing good but for some reason, they stopped playing.

You said Alaska's win was no walk in the park. Scoring 34 points against 16 seemed easy to me.

Edited by hahnz

you're talking about what they did from 2 tournaments ago, i was referring to what they did this game. they don't have their best player and yet they were leading big. how could a defending champion, who was doing pretty well thru 3 quarters score only 16 in the 4th quarter. Not to mention their defense disappeared in the 4th letting Alaska score 34 points. The last game against Rain or Shine, they won with defense and came back to win that game. Where was this defense against Alaska?

Take note, they didn't have their best player either in that Rain or shine game because of injury. I don't think it should be an excuse just because they don't have Fajardo it's supposed to make it more difficult for them to win.

If they showed any effort at all, they should have been more active defensively. The shots on offense can go hot or cold but you can make up for it with your defensive effort. 34-16 in the 4th. This stat was also glaring to me, San Miguel is the bigger team here, why were they outrebounded 46-28? Alaska was crashing the boards. They got 19 offensive boards to 8. Arwind got 15 rebounds against Rain or Shine, he didn't hit double digits in this game. Personal fouls are not an excuse to get rebounds.

Even with the lost of Arwind they were still doing good but for some reason, they stopped playing.

You said Alaska's win was no walk in the park. Scoring 34 points against 16 seemed easy to me.

"You said Alaska's win was no walk in the park. Scoring 34 points against 16 seemed easy to me."

-This only came from the 4th qtr., they were down on most parts of the game, even compton and manuel said so during their interviews that this was a tough win. Maybe you didnt watch the ENTIRE GAME

"Arwind got 15 rebounds against Rain or Shine, he didn't hit double digits in this game. Personal fouls are not an excuse to get rebounds."

- REALLY??? Arwind is the 2nd best rebounder in SMB, how can you get more rebounds if your not playing due to foul trouble MOST OF THE GAME????
"Take note, they didn't have their best player either in that Rain or shine game because of injury."
- They have him, they only lost him midway the game due to the injury. No Junmar + No Arwind na yan, dapat lang nanalo talaga ang ACES, nakakahiya naman kung tinalo pa sila.
What cost them the game is their INTERIOR defense, REBOUNDING (in which ARWIND and JUNMAR does more) and unlikely TURNOVERS because of the famed alaska pressure defense. Having De Ocampo guarding Manuel and no Arwind to mind Abueva is too much for SMB.
If they did not show any effort, 1Q pa lang sana tambak na sila at hindi na lumamang ng 12 sa 4Q.
Edited by daphne loves derby

-This only came from the 4th qtr., they were down on most parts of the game, even compton and manuel said so during their interviews that this was a tough win. Maybe you didnt watch the ENTIRE GAME

My point is, San Mig was playing their game for all 3 quarters. They are the superior team so why the big letdown in the 4th? Of course you would expect Alaska to make a run but i noticed even if San Mig called a timeout to make adjustments, the players didn't make any changes to how they were playing. No effort on their defense at all in the 4th.

- REALLY??? Arwind is the 2nd best rebounder in SMB, how can you get more rebounds if your not playing due to foul trouble MOST OF THE GAME????
Of course you can get still be active on the boards without making any more fouls. Your defense can be affected of course because you lose the aggresiveness. But rebounding is basic box out. I've seen players who were in foul trouble and yet still be effective rebounding the ball. He could have affected the outcome of the game by being active on other aspects of his game like his rebounding instead of thinking about his fouls. The fouls probably got to his head so he lost focus.
"Take note, they didn't have their best player either in that Rain or shine game because of injury."
- They have him, they only lost him midway the game due to the injury. No Junmar + No Arwind na yan, dapat lang nanalo talaga ang ACES, nakakahiya naman kung tinalo pa sila.
My point exactly, they started the game without Fajardo and yet were leading almost the whole game until the 4th quarter came along. Even with Arwind in foul trouble. They were leading. Doesn't that tell of how superior the San Mig team is compared to Alaska. San Mig lost this game on their own not because of Alaska. They could have prevented the rebounding effort and got more active on defense they would have won. That's why i say they choked.
What cost them the game is their INTERIOR defense, REBOUNDING (in which ARWIND and JUNMAR does more) and unlikely TURNOVERS because of the famed alaska pressure defense. Having De Ocampo guarding Manuel and no Arwind to mind Abueva is too much for SMB.
They were playing defense but what happened in the 4th quarter? You can't make excuses for not playing defense. Because they were doing a good job until the 4th quarter came. So what happened? No consistency. Rebounding, San Mig came into the game knowing that Fajardo was going to be out, so don't you think they should have come up with a plan to tell the players to help out and crash the boards? i noticed guards were standing outside and were relying on their frontcourt to bail them out with the rebounds. How can you rebound the ball if there is only one red shirt in the paint against 4 white shirts? Turnovers can happen during the course of the game so you make in game adjustments, why didn't they make adjustments when they called timeout knowing that the pressure defense was going to come? If there was no Arwind where was Espinas? Isn't he supposed to pick up the slack and take on Abueva?
If they did not show any effort, 1Q pa lang sana tambak na sila at hindi na lumamang ng 12 sa 4Q.
Im not saying there was no effort or else they wouldn't be leading that big. I'm saying they are the superior team. Even without Fajardo they were leading. But what happened to that effort in the 4th? Where was the defense? There was no effort in the 4th. They gave up the momentum and didn't do anything to stem the tide. Were they relaxing because they knew they were leading?

IMHO, for no obvious reason, the SMB game is to feed junemar at the highest point, unluckily junemar suffered from injury because of the heavy minutes given to him. When junemar is out the adjustment came late and the smb needs to gamble everything.

Halos lahat ng plays ng SMB is designed for Junemar kaya when he left ang ending "nga nga" sa adjustment...