San Miguel Beer

Japeth sure to be No. 1?

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 3:49:00 AM | 11 Comments

If Japeth Aguilar decides to apply for this year's PBA draft, he's sure to be the No. 1 overall pick which belongs to Burger King. But if he doesn't, the honor will no doubt go to La Salle's Rico Maierhofer.

Burger King coach Yeng Guiao has been pursuing Aguilar for months -- even when he was still in the US. There's a special bond that links Guiao to Aguilar's family, particularly his father Peter who once played in the PBA.

Guiao has promised Peter he will take care of his son's playing career. That promise is sacred, from one Capampangan to another. Peter works in a factory in Chicago and of course, would like nothing but the best for his son. Aguilar will play on the national team that Guiao is coaching in the Jones Cup next week and may also be tapped for the Powerade squad seeing action at the FIBA-Asia Championships in Tianjin on Aug. 6-16.

SBP executive director Noli Eala is also involved in the Aguilar sweepstakes. Eala is making a pitch for Aguilar to join the Smart-Gilas developmental team that Serbian coach Rajko Toroman is building for the Asian Games in Guangzhou next year and the 2011 FIBA-Asia Championships, the qualifying tournament for the 2012 London Olympics.

If Aguilar joins Smart-Gilas, he will be restrained from applying for the PBA draft. Eala, however, said Aguilar will not be prevented from signing a contract to play in Europe, the NBA D-League or the NBA itself. Since Aguilar is only 22, Eala said he will be just right for the PBA in three years.

Aguilar wasn't particularly dominant in his first game with Powerade, collecting eight points, six rebounds and four blocked shots in 24 minutes against the Soldiers for Christ at the San Juan Arena last Thursday. He looked his best playing alongside fellow Capampangan Arwind Santos as Powerade won, 100-94, but Asi Taulava, he's not -- at least, not yet.

At the moment, Aguilar isn't the franchise player his drumbeaters are insisting he is. The drumbeaters are of course doing a disservice to Aguilar because they're putting a lot of unnecessary pressure on the kid.

If he plays for Burger King next season, Aguilar isn't likely to produce big numbers. In time, he'll dominate but at the start, he's expected to be a building block in the Whoppers' future. Besides, Guiao isn't the type to build a team around one player -- he's an equal opportunity coach and that's been the trademark of his success in the game.

Is Aguilar better than Ranidel de Ocampo or Jay-R Reyes or Kerby Raymundo or Eric Menk at this point? Is he ready to be a force in the PBA right now?

Burger King has three picks in the first round -- No. 1 (from Barako Bull in the Gabby Espinas trade), No. 4 (its own) and No. 9 (from Talk 'N' Text in the multi-player trade involving Yancy de Ocampo, Leo Avenido, Mark Andaya and Abby Santos).

The second overall pick is Shell's property. But alas, the Shell franchise no longer exists -- it was sold to Rain Or Shine management. The sale did not include the draft pick which would've increased the buying price for sure. The pick was originally Coca-Cola's but it eventually landed with Shell.

Since Rain Or Shine bought the Shell franchise, the owners sought an opinion from the PBA Board on whether they could exercise the draft right -- even if there were papers proving the pick was excluded from the deal.

According to PBA chief statistician Fidel Mangonon, it is a league rule that once a franchise is disbanded, whatever rights to a draft pick are forfeited. The rights are not transferable unless negotiated before the disbandment.

For the record, here's the order of the first round picks -- No. 1 Burger King (from Barako Bull), No. 2 none (forfeited by Shell), No. 3 Purefoods, No. 4 Burger King, No. 5 Rain Or Shine, No. 6 Alaska, No. 7 Sta. Lucia Realty, No. 8 Barangay Ginebra, No. 9 Burger King (from Talk 'N' Text) and No. 10 San Miguel Beer.

If Aguilar doesn't apply, Burger King will likely tap Maierhofer who's clearly ready for the pros. In fact, scouts are claiming he'll make more of an impact as a rookie than Aguilar if the former Western Kentucky center joins the draft. Maierhofer is used to playing major minutes before loud Filipino audiences -- in the UAAP and PBL. Aguilar isn't. What Aguilar has over Maierhofer is the invaluable training he got with the Hilltoppers.

But in a one-on-one duel, it's not certain that Aguilar can make mincemeat of Maierhofer. In fact, the betting is Maierhofer won't make it easy for Aguilar and might just win. Maierhofer is familiar with the Filipino style of play -- fans like to call it "abilidad" -- while Aguilar has still some catching up to do. Joaquin M. Henson, "Sporting Chance" - The Philippine Star

Noong 90's may (naging sort of an) agreement ang PBA at BAP, kung aling team ang mag-champion sa isang particular conference 'yun ang ipapadala sa isang Asian tournament, it happened na smb won the conference title at sila nga ang ipinadala, kaso may kinuha din sila from the amateur rank then like Kenneth Duremdes, Rey Evangelista (at Marlou Aquino yata), nasama pa si Dong Polistico (who was with smb back then) sa RP Team noon hehe..

A reawakening for Siot

SPORTING CHANCE By Joaquin M. Henson Updated July 21, 2009 12:00 AM

It was life as usual for San Miguel Beer coach Siot Tanquingcen the morning after he delivered the PBA Fiesta Conference title to the league’s only remaining pioneer franchise and the bespectacled 36-year-old former UST guard couldn’t ask anything more.

“Both my kids were sick so my wife (Rica) and I were taking care of them,” he said the other day. “We were up at 3 a.m. then at 5 a.m., making sure they’re okay.” Tanquingcen was just happy to be home with his family after the gruelling grind. The celebration? That can wait, he said.

Zeke, 3, is the Tanquingcens’ first-born. The other child, also a boy, is Uchi, only eight months old.

“I’m really lucky because my wife grounds me,” said Tanquingcen of his UST accounting classmate. “She’s not really a basketball enthusiast so when I get home from a game, we don’t talk about the game much, just general things. She balances me. I’m basketball-oriented. I think if Rica was just as basketball-oriented, we’d have a problem. She’s a good complement for me. She doesn’t watch the games in the stadium because she gets more nervous than me.”

Tanquingcen, a CPA, confessed that some years back, he never paid too much attention to God.

“I’ve learned a lot during my coaching journey,” he said. “I got to know how important God is in our lives. When I moved to Ginebra, my welcome was five losses in a row. I was down. That was when I turned to God. Then, when I moved back to San Miguel, we lost six straight. God was teaching me a lesson. He wanted me to be patient, that the timetable wasn’t up to me but Him. That’s why when we went down 2-3 in the Finals, I wasn’t so worried. The things I could control, I would try to. But the things I couldn’t control, I left to God.”

Tanquingcen said winning his first title for San Miguel, after bagging two with Ginebra, was something special.

“It’s a long time coming,” he went on. “I dedicate this victory to God, (San Miguel chairman) Mr. (Eduardo) Cojuangco, my dad (Wilson) and coach Ron (Jacobs). This is especially for Boss Danding who never lost faith in our team. He did everything to make us better, from bringing in Chip (Engelland) to improving our nutrition with Dr. (Sanirose) Orbeta. He gave us his personal moral support. He built this team. He’s the best team owner anyone could wish for.”

As for his father, Tanquingcen said his support has never waned through the years. “When I was a kid, he would always come to watch my games - he wouldn’t tell me he was there, he’d be somewhere in the back and he’d leave right after,” he said. “I know my dad is always there for me. He doesn’t watch in the stadium, just on TV like Rica, but I wouldn’t be where I am without him.”

Tanquingcen’s father is the long-time sports editor of the Chinese Commercial News.

Someone else whom Tanquingcen owes is Ambassador Cojuangco’s brother Henry. “I would like to thank Boss Henry as well for taking a chance on me when he batted for me to take over Ginebra in 2004,” he said.

The championship was San Miguel’s first since the 2005 Fiesta Conference and only second in the last 19 conferences.

“I don’t know if it’s a coincidence but I think this was destiny,” he said. “Our team finally came together as a unit. We went through a lot of adversity and that tested our character. Playing Ginebra in the Finals was a big challenge. We wanted to prove that we could uphold San Miguel’s tradition of excellence, that we could play with pride. San Miguel won its Grand Slam in 1989 then came the lean years. But in 1999, San Miguel was back with Danny Ildefonso and Danny Seigle. Things began to taper off again but now, in 2009, San Miguel is back as the PBA champion with a new group.”

Tanquingcen said he saw the team mature not during the games but at practice.

“The glue was everyone’s willingness to sacrifice and help each other out,” he said. “This wasn’t about the guys who got playing time but how we prepared for every game. Take Wesley (Gonzales) who started out strong for us this conference but gave up his spot when (Marc) Pingris came back. Wesley proved his professionalism by sharing everything he knew with Ping, talking to him, motivating him. Then there’s Chris (Calaguio). He gave all our guards hell at practice because he’s physical and he shoots really well. He made everyone compete against him. Ken (Bono) and Sam (Eman) did their share, too. Ask Mick (Pennisi), Danny I, Dorian (Peña) and Jay-Wash (Washington), they’ll tell you from what they show at practice, they could start for any team in our league. They can contribute but they’ll just wait their time. We’ve got so much talent on this team that we just have to share minutes.”

“I’ve learned a lot during my coaching journey,” he said. “I got to know how important God is in our lives. When I moved to Ginebra, my welcome was five losses in a row. I was down. That was when I turned to God. Then, when I moved back to San Miguel, we lost six straight. God was teaching me a lesson. He wanted me to be patient, that the timetable wasn’t up to me but Him. That’s why when we went down 2-3 in the Finals, I wasn’t so worried. The things I could control, I would try to. But the things I couldn’t control, I left to God.”

Lakas talaga ng dasal natin. :hypocritesmiley:

Arwind to SMB!

By: Zean Macamay & Gerry Ramos

Arwind Santos is now with San Miguel Beer, and Marc Pingris may soon find himself playing for Purefoods again.

Santos, a versatile player who made a run at winning the MVP for the 2008-09 season, was formally released Monday night by Burger King to San Miguel Beer in exchange for Pingris, one-time UAAP MVP Ken Bono and a first-round pick in 2010.

No less than Burger King team manager and incoming board chairman Lito Alvarez confirmed the off-season trade yesterday barely 24 hours after he and officials from the San Miguel Beer camp led by board governor Robert Non met.

The deal was already the center of talks even before the 2008-09 Fiesta Conference ended. But the exchange only materialized Monday night in an exchange that gave the Beermen more youth while giving the Whoppers a defensive demon in Pingris and a threat from the long court with Bono.

Pingris, though, may not hang around with Burger King that long.

The one-time Finals MVP and master intimidator is expected to be shipped to Purefoods, which has already openly expressed its desire to re-acquire him and bring back the core of the unit that won the 2006-06 Philippine Cup.

Alvarez himself said that he has no other choice but to unload players. Currently, Burger King has 15 after coach Yeng Guiao requested Larry Rodriguez from Red Bull. The Whoppers also have three first-round picks on Aug. 2, including the No. 1 pick which they are expected to capitalize by acquiring Japeth Aguilar.

“Ang dami na naming mga players” said Alvarez. “And then we have three picks pa sa Draft. So we have no other choice but to unload players.”

Although admitting that the Giants are keen on getting back Pingris, Alvarez said that nothing yet is final.

“They (Purefoods) really want Pingris,” said Alvarez. “But I don’t want players anymore in exchange, ang dami na namin. Maybe future picks na lang. But as of now, wala pang final decision. Maraming teams ang interested.”

The move by the Beermen to let go one of the finest defensive players in the league is seen as decision for the upcoming return of Danny Seigle and Lordy Tugade to the ball club.

San Miguel won the recent Fiesta Conference over sister-team Ginebra, its depth and talent very much superior in the deciding Game 7. It was the Beermen’s 18th title and the third for coach Siot Tanquingcen.

Although the Beermen may have lost a demon on defense, they have in return acquired a player who is perhaps one of the most well rounded in the game. Santos finished runner-up to Jay-Jay Helterbrand in the MVP race last season, and likewise ended second to Kelly Williams the season before that.

Bono, on the other hand, gives Burger King added perimeter options. If he stays with the Whoppers and get the playing minutes from Guiao, he could inject a defensive problem with other teams and play an important role coming off the bench for Gary David.

Previously, Samigue Eman, the former No. 2 pick behind Joe DeVance, Chris Calaguio and Bono were the ones rumored to be traded for Santos. At the last minute, though, the Beermen decided to give away Eman, who still a work in progress, and Calaguio, a superb player off the bench.

Bono and Pingris sent to Air21 in exchange for Arwind Santos. Air21 is planning in offering Pingris to Purefoods for a first round draft pick.

Sayang naman si pingris pinakawalan ng smb, it is given that arwind santos is a scorer pero he ain't no great shakes pagdating sa depensa and smb has loads of scorers. Looks like pingris is going the same route noong kagaya unang pasok n'ya sa PBA (sa Air21 muna then pf then smb), balik pf s'ya pag nagkataon, pingris definitely played his best season noong nasa pf pa s'ya. Langya ang dami palang makukuha ng burger king sa 1st round ng draft this season..