San Miguel Beer

i think it'd be a very exciting game, especially with air21's run 'n gun style of play. air21 has had very good acquisitions in the off season, all of whom can play the running game. smb (or magnolia) can run with them now that smb has some young players. but smb would not keep it a fast paced game, probably only when LA's on the court. they'd still stick to a half court game since it would be to their advantage. siot is smart enough not to engage air21 in a running game all throughout.

my prediction would be SMB winning with a 10- to 15-point margin. :D

i overestimated magnolia's chemistry. they had a slow start and a bunch of turnovers. buti na lang they got the groove of things during the third canto all the way to the end. they recovered from a rusty start and they started making their shots in the end. at least the 9-point lead was close to the 10-15-point margin i predicted. great start for the beverage masters!!!

THREE FIGHTS AND A FIGHT FIGHT BLUE AND WHITE!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

EIGLE, HONTIVEROS SHINE AS MAGNOLIA TAKES OPENER

Faster-paced ballgame leads to highest-scoring season curtainraiser since ‘92

Sunday, 14 October 2007

Dondon Hontiveros picked up his offensive rhythm in the third quarter and the Magnolia Beverage Masters took the cue to mount a second half charge that keyed a 121-112 victory over the Air21 Express Sunday night in the opener of the 2007-08 Smart PBA Philippine Cup at the Araneta Coliseum.

Hontiveros, cold as ice in the first half with only two points, drove the Express crazy in the third that saw him scattering 12 points on 4-for-4 shooting from the perimeter and 4-of-5 from the stripe.

His explosion practically changed the complication of the game and put an end to the Beverage Masters' three-game losing spell at the hands of the Express last conference.

Hontiveros, who missed the entire 2007 Fiesta Conference along with Danny Seigle to serve the RP Team, finished with 15 points. He tied the game at 67 midway in the third with two free throws, then completed a three-point play 13 seconds later as Magnolia took the lead for good at 70-69.

"The basics are all there but when the going gets tough we can always count on Danny Ildefonso, Danny Seigle and Dondon Hontiveros,” said Magnolia coach Siot Tanquingcen of their second half surge.

"We had to deal with it. We have to play the way the refs call it. Everybody's playing with the same set of rules anyway," offered Tanquingcen when asked to comment on the new rules implemented by the league this season.

The implementation of the new rules quickened the flow of the game, and the big opening day crowd lapped up every moment of the action-packed encounter.

It also opened a lot of offensive opportunities for both teams and the result was a high-scoring curtainraiser that featured a combined 17 triples and 30 fast break attempts and nearly 50 percent shooting from both teams.

The league's highest scoring opener was established in 1992 when Presto defeated Swift, 120-118.

Seigle scored 28 points on 10-of-16 shooting and Enrico Villanueva had 21 points for Magnolia, which had six players scoring in double digits.

Larry Fonacier, Lordy Tugade and Ildefonso each had 11 points for the Beverage Masters who shot 48 percent from the field.

Ervin Sotto pulled the Express within 89-93 early in the fourth quarter but Magnolia quickly countered with a 10-0 run to ripped the game apart.

Air21 actually dictated the tempo in the first half due largely to the 3-point shooting of Nino Canaleta and Aris Dimaunahan, who both went 3-for-4 from the trifecta zone.

Their tireless effort to run the court also paid handsomely for the Express, who enjoyed a 56-52 lead at halftime.

But things turned sour for Air21 in the third quarter as the Express began missing from the field and eventually drowned in a series of turnovers.

Canaleta led all scorers with 32 points and Arwind Santos added 21 points for the Express, who committed 20 turnovers. (DBC)

The scores:

Magnolia 121 - Seigle 28, Villanueva, R. 20, Hontiveros 15, Fonacier 11, Tugade 11, Ildefonso 11, Tenorio 9, Racela 8, Eman 5, Gonzales 3, Wilson 0.

Air21 112 - Canaleta 32, Santos 21, Arboleda 15, Dimaunahan 9, Se 8, Cruz 7, Sotto 6, Intal 5, de Ocampo 4, Kramer 3, Baluyot 2, Chia 0.

Quarters: 25-32, 52-56, 86-81, 121-112.

Siot used an 11 man rotation and benched espinas, calaguio and villanueva while pena is on the injury list. on the long run, his problem will always be how to balance the time with all the good players he has on hand. starters normally play at least 30 mins a game to get their momentum.

Air 21 will win hehehe

next time ;)

Siot used an 11 man rotation and benched espinas, calaguio and villanueva while pena is on the injury list. on the long run, his problem will always be how to balance the time with all the good players he has on hand. starters normally play at least 30 mins a game to get their momentum.

I wished binigyan ng exposure si Espinas and Villanueva!

sana si Gonzales na lang binangko!

next time ;)

I wished binigyan ng exposure si Espinas and Villanueva!

sana si Gonzales na lang binangko!

is jonas really that good?

he was not able to perform well during his college years in feu [ati sa pbl

puro hype lang to in my opinion

but he has good fundamentals and is tall for a pg

hirap sa smb, lahat pang starter ang caliber!

is jonas really that good?

he was not able to perform well during his college years in feu [ati sa pbl

puro hype lang to in my opinion

but he has good fundamentals and is tall for a pg

hirap sa smb, lahat pang starter ang caliber!

only way we'll find out if gets the needed confidence and exposure to play in the PBA...

only thing I like about him is he has the materials to be a good PG

as you said he has the built and height... he can slash and shoot from the outside...

he needs to be able to use his mind more...

I agree with you guys, sana mabigyan din ng playing time si Espinas. Sayang ang pagiging NCAA MVP nya if he cant prove his worth with limited playing time. Nawawala ang confidence. Ipapasok lang yan kapag foul trouble na big guys ng Magnolia.

or sana ma trade nalang siya sa ibang team na pwede siyang makapag laro. the way magnolia looks now, espinas will never get the playing time he would need to prove his worth.

cabagnot amp! wag na yan. :thumbsdownsmiley: hehehe! mas ok pa si jonas villanueva dyan, walang attitude problem. he may not have excelled in uaap or pbl but he would be a decent backup for LA. besides, larry would be playing some point, which is what i've heard. pwede na si jonas, kung kailangan ng defense for the bigger PGs. ;)

Sayang nga si Gaby......Baka naman pwede makuha yan kapalit 2nd round draft pick ng Purefoods :D

Kaso sister team eh.....Kailangan pa isa non-SMC team....

Sa inyo na nga pala si Atoti.....Wala ba naiinis sa inyo kay Atoti.... :D

Pag naka-dunk yan itataas na naman yung jersey nya.....

Edited by edc