The Music Of The 80s - Favorites, Classics And Rarities

hitman531ph

SPANDAU BALLET was a band comprised of Tony Hadley (vocals), Gary Kemp (lead guitar), Martin Kemp (bass), Steve Norman (sax and keyboards) and John Keeble (drums).

The British band had some minor UK hits with their first two albums JOURNEYS TO GLORY (1981) and DIAMOND (1982). The group was known for the UK hits TO CUT A LONG STORY SHORT and CHANT #1 (which featured a rapping Gary Kemp)

The group was still meandering in cult status by the time TRUE was released. The first two releases of the album didn't help much. COMMUNICATION was a chart hit in the UK and LIFELINE entered the US Hot 100 but landed nowhere near the US Top 40. It was only upon the release of TRUE that blasted Spandau Ballet into international fame. TRUE was a UK #1 hit and a US #4 hit. The song had been sampled by R&B artists PM Dawn (Set Adrift on Memory Bliss 1993) and by Nelly (N Dey Say 2004).

Following the rousing smash hit TRUE came GOLD. It was a UK Top 3 hit and a US Top 40 hit. By this time, Spandau Ballet was known to be a glamorous, neat and well-dressed band.

In 1984, PARADE was released and ONLY WHEN YOU LEAVE went to the UK Top 5 but managed to peak at #29 in the US charts. Somehow, the US audience were not as keen on the band than the Brits. However, ROUND AND ROUND managed to peak at #16 at the US charts while making the UK Top 10 again. HIGHLY STRUNG and I'LL FLY FOR YOU again made it to the UK charts but not in the US Top 40.

By late 1985, THROUGH THE BARRICADES was released with the first single RAW that bombed. The second single was the title track which made the UK Top 10 but had little impact in the US Hot 100.

By 1988, Spandau Ballet released its last album HEART LIKE A SKY and didn't replicate its past successes in the US and UK. Their last single BE FREE WITH YOUR LOVE managed to land in the UK Top 20 and it proved to be the band's finale.

Tony Hadley attempted to start a solo career but didn't succeed. It seems that he was lost without Spandau Ballet backing him up.

Brothers Gary and Martin Kemp dabbled in acting when they appeared as the violent gangsters The Krays in the late 80s. Gary Kemp also appears in the 1992 Whitney Houston-Kevin Costner movie The Bodyguard

yups still one of my favorite groups........i am currently downlaoding their mp3 songs via torrent hehehehehe

some guys borrowed my tape collection and never rteturned it...thank God for the internet i could now own an mp3 version of my fave group of the '80s

To appease our Beatles fan who finds himself in the 80s section, I got videos of the Fab Four separately in their 80s hit videos, but you'll find some of them with all four of them together... :D

10 Videos. Enjoy...

No More Lonely Nights - Paul McCartney

Take It Away - Paul McCartney (Ringo Starr appears in video)

Pipes of Peace - Paul McCartney

Private Property - Ringo Starr (not really a hit, Paul McCartney appears, your eyes have to quick to see him)

Woman - John Lennon

Nobody Told Me - John Lennon

All Those Years Ago - George Harrison (all four of them together)

When We Was Fab - George Harrison (Ringo Starr appears)

Edited by hitman531ph
  • 2 weeks later...

i was just listening to my satellite radio .. 80's channel .. ive always thought the 80's was strong in european based pop/rock bands ....what with duran duran, spandau, police etc

but now that ive been listening to a lot of 80's music i think US artists were stronger .. Springsteen, Springfield, Cars, Aerosmith, MJ, GoGos, GNR etc

i always thought new wave music was really good... now that i think of it new wave is just electro heavy rock.