Mac Users Of Mtc (apple: Go Ahead, Take A Bite!)

just a question, is there any other way to sync iphone 3g to other mac even to a pc - meaning syncing iphone 3g to two machines, one pc then a mac. i've seen some answer from google but its difficult for a regular non-techie guy like me.

Please be more specific about the kind of syncing you wish to do:

1. Sync some categories on one computer and other categories in another (i.e., movies and pics in one computer, contacts, calndar, and tasks in another)
  2. Sync your iphone to two itunes programs running on different computers
  3. Sync the same categories on the same computer (i.e., so that contacts, tasks, and calenders are the same at home and at work)

I have the X1600 on an older MBP too. Question lang. Do you experience out of memory situations when you are really pushing the hardware? When I do some video renderign or encoding while watching a movie (while waiting for it to finish) I notice that once the system temp (I use SMC Fan control which has a temp monitor on the menubar) hits over 80°C the video gets flaky. Usually, it pixellates. Sadisplay lang naman. If you force quit the player usually the other apps are not disturbed.

I have been doing this ever since I got this laptop and it is only in 10.5.5 that it happened.

Today is the first day on 10.5.6 and I have really pushed the laptop. Video render, plus Xgrid transcode of another video off the network, plus Photoshop CS4. Everything was cool this time.

I hope it was just a glitch in 10.5.5. But it wold be interesting to hear if anyone was getting the same experience.

naka 4GB mem ka na ba bossing? i am using 10.5.6 medyo ok naman even sa games...

pero try mo itaas ng kaunti yung ilalim ako gamit ko gigabyte aluminum cooler.. dont use yung may fan... useless yun kung pabuga papunta sa laptop...

yung problem na ganyan dahil sa overheat issue...

planning to sell mine para to buy the latest.. hehehehe. magkano pa kaya ito?

2.33ghz plus 4gb mem!

quick question which is driving me nuts! how do i switch between tabs with mac in Safari? switching programs is cmd-tab (like alt-tab for windows) but for the life of me, i cant figure out what switch tab in safar is...

thanks!

stupid me.. hehe

In Safari, you switch tabs with "SHIFT-CMD-[" and "SHIFT-CMD-]" to go between previous and next tabbed pages.

And no, it is not a stupid question because it is Apple who are stupid. Under the WINDOWS menu it only lists tab switching as CMD+square bracket and left out the SHIFT key. I guess you have to be a Mac OS user for 23 years to know what the popular 'next' and 'previous' key combinations are. I had to try about three to discover this. Of course I could have Googled it but where's the fun in that?

Hi mac guys! What's the disadvantage of buying refurbished macbooks? Is it worth the savings?

personally, id rather buy from a secondhand macbook if the owner purchased extra applecare warranty, at least a year. in case something happens, its covered. and the fact that the owner purchased applecare says something: that he really cares for the machine, and expect that the machine is well taken care of (at least from experience) we got a 2nd hand Macbook and thankfully it has applecare still. a couple of friends of mine also got 2nd hand macbooks with extended applecare.

if youre getting refurbished macbooks, just make sure its a reputable seller who will at least give you some warranty on the item.

good luck!

by the way, if you wanna check out 2nd hand macbooks, try philmug.com or philmug.ph

personally, id rather buy from a secondhand macbook if the owner purchased extra applecare warranty, at least a year. in case something happens, its covered. and the fact that the owner purchased applecare says something: that he really cares for the machine, and expect that the machine is well taken care of (at least from experience) we got a 2nd hand Macbook and thankfully it has applecare still. a couple of friends of mine also got 2nd hand macbooks with extended applecare.

if youre getting refurbished macbooks, just make sure its a reputable seller who will at least give you some warranty on the item.

good luck!

by the way, if you wanna check out 2nd hand macbooks, try philmug.com or philmug.ph

I was waiting for someone to respond to the original question as sort of an experiment and my theory has been borne out. It is time to define what a refurbished Macintosh or "refurb" is.

Refurbished Macs are not to be scorned, they are still Macs and most you'll find out there are only one or two models old. It's not like buying a used Mac, think of it as a certified pre-owned car. These are computers that people have recently owned but had some problems with. Apple sent them a new computer to compensate them and then fixed the damaged one. This formally damaged computer, having now undergone a complete inspection by Apple, is ready for the market. So a refurbished Mac is born. These are completely functioning, guaranteed to have no faults and given a one year warranty from Apple. You can also get Apple Care for these Macs. In fact, you can even buy a refurb online from the Apple Store under the "special deals" section.

The difference between a refurb and a prime condition second hand Mac is that the refurb is guaranteed to be slightly used. Apple would not exchange a well-used Mac unless something catastrophic happens to it that is not the owner's fault. But usually, as in most electronic devices, if your Mac doesn't actup in the first two months of ownership or so, its going to be usable to the end of its warranty period.

Refurbs make sense just make sure you don't buy a model that is too old. They are priced consistently in the sense that their value does not carry any overblown emotional/sentimental notion of price as the passionate owner of a second hand machine is wont to have.

Please be more specific about the kind of syncing you wish to do:

1. Sync some categories on one computer and other categories in another (i.e., movies and pics in one computer, contacts, calndar, and tasks in another)
  2. Sync your iphone to two itunes programs running on different computers
  3. Sync the same categories on the same computer (i.e., so that contacts, tasks, and calenders are the same at home and at work)

hey boom, thanks for your response, to be specific, two itunes running on two different computers, i sync my old music and ringtones from this mac and then the applications and the rest of the movies in the other (friend's mac- in the states now). i want to sync back to my mac without erasing the applications and movies i got from the other both thru itunes.

hey boom, thanks for your response, to be specific, two itunes running on two different computers, i sync my old music and ringtones from this mac and then the applications and the rest of the movies in the other (friend's mac- in the states now). i want to sync back to my mac without erasing the applications and movies i got from the other both thru itunes.

The following is from the Apple support site (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1202):

Using iPod with multiple computers

• Last Modified: September 11, 2008

• Article: HT1202

• Old Article: 61675

Summary

You can manage your iPod with different computers as long as the computers are running the same operating system (Mac OS X or Windows) and you have set the iPod to "Manually manage music."

Products Affected

iPod nano, iPod shuffle, iPod mini, iPod, iPhone, iPod touch

Using an iPod formatted for Macintosh on a Windows computer is not supported. Using an iPod formatted for Windows on a Macintosh computer is not supported. To determine your iPod's hard disk format see "iPod: How to determine iPod's hard disk format." To change the iPod format you will need to restore iPod using iTunes. For more information on the how to restore iPod with iTunes see "Restoring iPod to factory settings."

Modes

By default iPod is set to "Automatically sync songs to my iPod" sometimes called automatic mode. In order to transfer music from multiple computers iPod must be set to "Manually manage music" sometimes referred to as manual mode.

Automatic Mode

When iPod is set to automatic mode iTunes automatically updates iPod's music library whenever you connect iPod to your computer. iTunes transfers new songs you've added, and erases songs you've removed. However, the first computer you connect iPod to is its "home" computer, and the music library from that computer is copied to iPod. When you connect iPod to another computer, an alert box appears with this message:

"The iPod "iPod" is synced with another iTunes library. Do you want to erase this iPod and sync with this iTunes library?"

"An iPod can be synced with only one iTunes library at a time. Erasing and syncing replaces the contents of this iPod with the contents of this iTunes library."

If you want to delete the music library on iPod and make the second computer iPod's "home" computer, click Erase and Sync. iTunes will delete all songs and playlists on the iPod, and then will copy the music library and playlists from the new home computer to iPod.

Manual Mode

If you want to keep the music library on iPod, but copy songs or playlists from the music library on the second computer, click Cancel to this dialog box, and then set iPod to manual mode.

You change the iPod synchronization mode to manual mode in iTunes:

1. Open iTunes, if necessary.

2. Select iPod in the Source pane.

3. Click the Summary tab.

4. Click "Manually manage music and videos" to enable that option.

5. Click OK in the resulting dialog box.

6. Click Apply.

It is normal for iPod to take a few seconds to change from automatic mode to manual mode.

When in manual mode, to add songs or playlists drag them from iTunes to the iPod icon in the sidebar. To remove songs or playlists select them on the iPod in iTunes and hit the delete key. You can also create playlists directly on the iPod.

Important:
Synchronization generally occurs only in one direction, from your computer to your iPod. However, if you are legally allowed to transfer song files, you can use your iPod as a hard disk. An exception is the transfer purchases feature, which allows you to restore purchased iTunes content to an authorized computer from your iPod.

Note
: iPod shuffle is intended for use with a single computer. You cannot load music from multiple computers or iTunes libraries onto iPod shuffle like you can with other iPods.

==========

I hope this is what you were looking for.

The following is from the Apple support site (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1202):

Using iPod with multiple computers

• Last Modified: September 11, 2008

• Article: HT1202

• Old Article: 61675

Summary

You can manage your iPod with different computers as long as the computers are running the same operating system (Mac OS X or Windows) and you have set the iPod to "Manually manage music."

Products Affected

iPod nano, iPod shuffle, iPod mini, iPod, iPhone, iPod touch

Using an iPod formatted for Macintosh on a Windows computer is not supported. Using an iPod formatted for Windows on a Macintosh computer is not supported. To determine your iPod's hard disk format see "iPod: How to determine iPod's hard disk format." To change the iPod format you will need to restore iPod using iTunes. For more information on the how to restore iPod with iTunes see "Restoring iPod to factory settings."

Modes

By default iPod is set to "Automatically sync songs to my iPod" sometimes called automatic mode. In order to transfer music from multiple computers iPod must be set to "Manually manage music" sometimes referred to as manual mode.

bossing my guess as to why plugging in a mac formatted ipod / iphone to a windows based itunes or vice versa requires restoring the factory settings is because of the filesystem of the devices which is not compatible with the platform where the itunes was installed. formatting an ipod / iphone on mac uses HPFS or ZFS while windows uses NTFS.

bossing my guess as to why plugging in a mac formatted ipod / iphone to a windows based itunes or vice versa requires restoring the factory settings is because of the filesystem of the devices which is not compatible with the platform where the itunes was installed. formatting an ipod / iphone on mac uses HPFS or ZFS while windows uses NTFS.

Of course. I was assuming that two Macs or two PCs were involved. If you wanted to use one of each, it is not possible unless you have a utility that allows HFS+ to be accessed on Windows (like MacDrive) or NTFS to be accessed in OSX (like Paragon).

Well, I did say that two computers have to be running the same OS…

Of course. I was assuming that two Macs or two PCs were involved. If you wanted to use one of each, it is not possible unless you have a utility that allows HFS+ to be accessed on Windows (like MacDrive) or NTFS to be accessed in OSX (like Paragon).

Well, I did say that two computers have to be running the same OS…

ah ok. but will itunes able to integrate seamlessly with paragon in case i will plugin a wind0w$ formatted ipod ?

ah ok. but will itunes able to integrate seamlessly with paragon in case i will plugin a wind0w$ formatted ipod ?

I have not tried it out. But an external NTFS drive is seen by a Max with Paragon installed. If you have it in manual mode, itunes will try to seek out its markers in an ipod but there is really no way of knowing until to try it out. This is just a theory I have. Now, if the itunes marker in the ipod specifically identifies the unit as something formatted got another OS then its not going to work.

Found this on the net. First read it at the yahoo page.

^GSPC 858.16 -15.93

^IXIC 1,529.88 -28.46

Who said Macs are immune to viruses? Some malware makers aim to bust that myth with a Trojan horse that's being downloaded across the Internet.

Mac security software firm Intego identified a Trojan on Wednesday that affects computers running Mac OS X. The malware was found on some pirated copies of Apple's new iWork 09 productivity suite on peer-to-peer sites. iWork is Apple's answer to Microsoft Office.

"The installer for the Trojan horse is launched as soon as a user begins the installation of iWork, following the installer's request of an administrator password," Intego said. "This software is installed as a start-up item (in /System/Library/StartupItems/iWorkServices, a location reserved normally for Apple start-up items), where it has read-write-execute permissions for root." In Mac OS X 10.5.1 or earlier, there will be no password request.

Foolish Behavior

Once installed, the virus, called OSX.Trojan.iServices.A, connects to a remote server, where a cybercriminal is alerted that the virus is installed. At that point, criminals can begin connecting to the infected Mac to perform various actions. The virus may also download additional data to an infected Mac.

Anyone who downloads a pirated copy of iWork 09 is not only breaking Apple's copyright, but risks becoming infected, according to Graham Cluley, a senior security consultant at Sophos. Like much of the Windows malware we see, he said, that Trojan horse is designed to turn computers into bots (Web robots), which hackers can abuse for whatever nefarious purpose they like, including sending out spam or stealing identities.

"Of course, you would be crazy to download any commercial copyrighted software from a (BitTorrent) site, but that doesn't seem to stop lots of people from doing precisely that," Cluley said. "It's particularly absurd when you realize Apple makes available for free download a 30-day trial version. And so it's understandable that some Apple fans might think that only an idiot would be hit by this Trojan horse."

Mac Users: Wake Up!

Beyond the initial poor decision, security researchers say there is a point here. Hackers are increasingly looking with greedy eyes at the Apple user community -- a community Cluley said is acting much more recklessly when it comes to defending against malware than their Windows-using cousins.

"Yes, the amount of malware for Mac is tiny compared to Windows. But it's growing, and it's being written for the purposes of creating botnets and making money," Cluley said. "Mac users would be foolhardy not to take threats like this seriously."

In December, an Apple knowledge-base article said running antivirus software on a Macintosh is a good idea. Apple encouraged it, saying the widespread use of multiple antivirus utilities makes it more difficult for virus writers. Apple recommended Intego VirusBarrier X5, Symantec Norton AntiVirus 11 for Macintosh, and McAfee VirusScan for Mac. Apple later pulled the article, however.

Noteworthy is the fact that although Apple is known for a virus-resistant platform today, in the 1980s and early 1990s the Mac was among the top platforms for spreading malicious code. That changed with the introduction of Windows 95 and the Internet. Security researchers recommend Mac users stay protected with security software.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/64230;_ylt=AoAS...uTZtRxds3cjtBAF

Found this on the net. First read it at the yahoo page.

^GSPC 858.16 -15.93

^IXIC 1,529.88 -28.46

Who said Macs are immune to viruses? Some malware makers aim to bust that myth with a Trojan horse that's being downloaded across the Internet.

Mac security software firm Intego identified a Trojan on Wednesday that affects computers running Mac OS X. The malware was found on some pirated copies of Apple's new iWork 09 productivity suite on peer-to-peer sites. iWork is Apple's answer to Microsoft Office.

"The installer for the Trojan horse is launched as soon as a user begins the installation of iWork, following the installer's request of an administrator password," Intego said. "This software is installed as a start-up item (in /System/Library/StartupItems/iWorkServices, a location reserved normally for Apple start-up items), where it has read-write-execute permissions for root." In Mac OS X 10.5.1 or earlier, there will be no password request.

Foolish Behavior

Once installed, the virus, called OSX.Trojan.iServices.A, connects to a remote server, where a cybercriminal is alerted that the virus is installed. At that point, criminals can begin connecting to the infected Mac to perform various actions. The virus may also download additional data to an infected Mac.

Anyone who downloads a pirated copy of iWork 09 is not only breaking Apple's copyright, but risks becoming infected, according to Graham Cluley, a senior security consultant at Sophos. Like much of the Windows malware we see, he said, that Trojan horse is designed to turn computers into bots (Web robots), which hackers can abuse for whatever nefarious purpose they like, including sending out spam or stealing identities.

"Of course, you would be crazy to download any commercial copyrighted software from a (BitTorrent) site, but that doesn't seem to stop lots of people from doing precisely that," Cluley said. "It's particularly absurd when you realize Apple makes available for free download a 30-day trial version. And so it's understandable that some Apple fans might think that only an idiot would be hit by this Trojan horse."

Mac Users: Wake Up!

Beyond the initial poor decision, security researchers say there is a point here. Hackers are increasingly looking with greedy eyes at the Apple user community -- a community Cluley said is acting much more recklessly when it comes to defending against malware than their Windows-using cousins.

"Yes, the amount of malware for Mac is tiny compared to Windows. But it's growing, and it's being written for the purposes of creating botnets and making money," Cluley said. "Mac users would be foolhardy not to take threats like this seriously."

In December, an Apple knowledge-base article said running antivirus software on a Macintosh is a good idea. Apple encouraged it, saying the widespread use of multiple antivirus utilities makes it more difficult for virus writers. Apple recommended Intego VirusBarrier X5, Symantec Norton AntiVirus 11 for Macintosh, and McAfee VirusScan for Mac. Apple later pulled the article, however.

Noteworthy is the fact that although Apple is known for a virus-resistant platform today, in the 1980s and early 1990s the Mac was among the top platforms for spreading malicious code. That changed with the introduction of Windows 95 and the Internet. Security researchers recommend Mac users stay protected with security software.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/64230;_ylt=AoAS...uTZtRxds3cjtBAF

1. I was ruminating weeks ago whether to post this or not. I decided not to thinking that the only Mac users that will be affected are the ones that prefer to download software and use it for free AND the ones stupid enough to 1) enter his admin password during and installation of a program that he should already know to be of dubious origin; and 2) to click on an application icon whose behavior he knows nothing about. No sympathy required.
  2. Intego is a security company that likes to cry wolf. Whenever they raise the alarm over a trojan like this, they always fail to make it clear THAT THE INFECTION/TRANSMISSION PROCESS REQUIRES A STUPID MAC USER for it to be successful. So, this being MTC, I say, practice the same safe sex practices you use when you fornicate as when you insert software in your Macs and you should be okay. Show me someone who is HIV positive and I'll show you a computer user that has a virus-ridden laptop.

Jayar, are you a Mac user?