Mac Users Of Mtc (apple: Go Ahead, Take A Bite!)

I just finished watching Steve Job's keynote speece at the macworld expo 08. Man the rumors are true introducing the 'World's thinnest notebool' the MACBOOK AIR! whew!

the specs are quite good actually the only thing missing.. the optical drive. but wait, they have an external one or you can use other pc's or mac's optical device for burning. nice one!

more details at http://www.apple.com/mac/

just to give u an idea how thin it is... you can put it in an envelop..:P

http://images.macworld.com/images/news/graphics/131588-mbair_side.jpg

Edited by wharkooze

i totally agree. with $200 more, you can already have a MBP! :)

Wrong. Specs are NOT good! For $200 more you actually get a slower processor, a smaller hard drive and no optical drive! Obviously certain compromises had to be made to make everything fit into a much smaller form factor. It's also worth mentioning that the 80GB SSHD version costs $3000. Even the top of the line MBP doesn't cost that much!

For just $200 more you could already purchase an MBP. Or better yet, for $200 less, you could get a MacBook with better specs.

From a price perspective, the Air is not a wise purchase. Think of it as the Porsche Cayman of the computing world: more expensive than the Boxster, but no where as good as the 911. It sort of sits in a middle ground that sensible consumers will not be able to comprehend.

Guest lustfortravel
i'll still go for MBP rather than AIR, specs wise MBP is cooler. Pang chick lang to AIR, yung hindi kayang magbuhat ng medyo mabibigat na notebook.

and that is rather a sexist remark ;) i have no problems carrying anything,even your "heavy" MBP ;)

boom, thanks for the heads up on i-photo! tried it out as you suggested on some photos ( i posted in the travel thread pero amateur pic lang!) and now, i'm getting the hang of photoshop :thumbsupsmiley:

kinda off topic:

did you know that the powermac center in sm megamall was raided by the nbi today? the nbi agents were acting from a complaint made by sony-bmg records and other music companies noting that powermac is illegally downloading copyrighted songs.

seized from powermac were several computer units and accessories--worth P2 million--allegedly used in illegal downloading of copyrighted songs in MP3 format.

Edited by dickee
i'll still go for MBP rather than AIR, specs wise MBP is cooler. Pang chick lang to AIR, yung hindi kayang magbuhat ng medyo mabibigat na notebook.

Let me respond to this.

You say that the MBP is cooler, implying that the Air does not have some MBP features like:

1. A dedicated video card
  2. More USB ports
  3. A Firewire port
  4. An internal optical drive/burner
  5. A wider screen
  6. Audio in port
  7. A bigger standard hard disk
  8. Faster CPU (1.6/1.8 GHz vs 2.2/2.4 GHz)
  9. User removable battery

I will admit that what makes an MBP great is the fact that you have a laptop with the power and capability of most medium-sized desktop machines. Relative to a desktop computer this is really a cool laptop.

However, if you are the sort who just has to schlep a laptop around wherever you go just so that you can keep up with your emails and other correspondence, do presentations, or are the sort that uses a maximum of four programs heavily none of which require hardcore processor cycles like video encoding/editing you will appreciate the lightweight of the Air. The speed is irrelevant. So what if your screen refreshes two seconds slower? That's immaterial.

Now, I'll tell you what is cool about the Air. And this will be the reason why I will try to grab one as soon as it is available.

1. It is light.
  2. It is thin. It will fit right inside a regular briefcase.
  3. It has the capability to use an optical drive installed in another computer irrespective of whether it is a Mac or a Windows machine.
  4. It has that nice LED backlight that allows longer battery life with a brighter display
  5. It has a solid state hard disk (SSHD) option that will push it performance beyond MBP specs in certain applications where hard disk seek/read/write performance is the primary performance obstacle. Sure its only a 64GB drive and it costs more than the price of the Macbook Air. Well, a BMW M3, Lancer Evolution, or Impreza WRX STi also costs more than their mainstream models.
  6. Who cares about a dedicated video card? Mostly gamers. This laptop is too nice and too expensive to beused in unproductive activites like playing games. Buy a Windows laptop.

US Computer journalist Ted Landau had this to say about the Air and I fully agree with him:

"There is definitely a market for the Air, and I believe the portable will ultimately be a success. It's just that the Air market represents only a small portion of current and potential Mac users, and I am not part of that group.
For one thing, it's not designed to be your only Mac. Unless you already have another Mac (or plan to get one), you are not a member of the Air's target audience.

If, however, you are a frequent traveler who expects to use a laptop mainly to get email, surf the Web, and give a presentation while on your trips -- and you place a high premium on having as light and as thin a machine as possible -- the Air may well fit the bill.

But that's not who I am. For me, the reduction in size and weight is not worth what I would have to jettison. The Air has no optical drive of course. Beyond that, compared to my 15-inch MacBook Pro, there is no FireWire port (and thus no target disk mode), no built-in Ethernet, no removable battery, no upgradeable memory, no numeric keypad, no 15-inch screen, no microphone port, no PC card slot, a slower CPU, a slower smaller hard drive, and still unanswered questions about exactly how well it will work to wirelessly install software, backup data and troubleshoot. That’s just too much to do without. I'd have been willing to part with some of those specs, but not all of them.

You might think that such a minimalist machine would at least save you money. Nope. At $1799, it goes for only $200 less than a MacBook Pro and $700 more than a MacBook. Unless of course you want the SSD Air. That will set you back a staggering $3098. At such a price, the SSD model can only appeal to those for whom cost is largely irrelevant."

As for that sexist remark about it being a chick notebook… you don't know what you are talking about. A more accurate politically incorrect statement would be to say that it is nice because it is elitist. A lot of guys can only drool or sour grape because they can't afford it or can't bear to spend that much money on a laptop. But I wouldn't say that.

boom, thanks for the heads up on i-photo! tried it out as you suggested on some photos ( i posted in the travel thread pero amateur pic lang!) and now, i'm getting the hang of photoshop :thumbsupsmiley:

You're welcome. Remember. Use the right tool for the right job. Simple photo enhancement is can be done in iPhoto. For 80% of the photo retouching tasks, Photoshop is overkill. Like using a nuke to destroy an anthill. But next time I'll show you some advanced Photoshop tricks.

Edited by boomouse

well dami talaga fanboi addict...

for me INTEL must be credited for the great design of logic board and processor of AIR! but for the price??! to expensive better get a macbook or even asus eee if you need to portability...

honestly apple product(mb, mbp, mb air, g5 etc. is also a computer.... same processor, logic board, hardrive, memory etc..

it is not a superior product or it is not the best... it is also prone to defects..... overheats.... hangs....

ang nagiging problem lang naman e may ibang mac user na akala magaling sila or ahead sila pag naka mac (feeling superior)...

pero ang alam lang e mag internet at mag ms word.. :D

i am a mac seller even a user, alam ko narin kung paano masira ang mga mac products.... its not a perfect product....

ang problem sa AIR is yung battery... its not user replaceable! ilan ba sa atin na may ipod na natutulog na dahil sira na after a year or 2? ehehehehehe.

====

Hooray for intel for the macbook AIR!

And your point is?

for me INTEL must be credited for the great design of logic board and processor of AIR! but for the price??! to expensive better get a macbook or even asus eee if you need to portability...

Apparently you know nothing of the design history of the Air. Apple designed the logic board. It was Apple that urged Intel to produce a C2D processor in a package that was 60% smaller. Intel agreed to rework the processor packaging because Apple gave them a guaranteed order volume at a guaranteed price. Because of this, even the jologs windows computer users will benefit.

honestly apple product(mb, mbp, mb air, g5 etc. is also a computer.... same processor, logic board, hardrive, memory etc.. it is not a superior product or it is not the best... it is also prone to defects..... overheats.... hangs....

No argument that there are defective Macs or Mac being also prone to defect--that is a philosophical argument. But as a package compared to a Vista notebook, Boo! my Mac is far superior.

ang nagiging problem lang naman e may ibang mac user na akala magaling sila or ahead sila pag naka mac (feeling superior)... pero ang alam lang e mag internet at mag ms word.. :D

This sounds like sour graping from someone who can't afford a Mac. Like a Kia Pride owner laughing at the BMW owner for wasting so much money on a car that will equally take him from point A to point B.

i am a mac seller even a user, alam ko narin kung paano masira ang mga mac products.... its not a perfect product....

ang problem sa AIR is yung battery... its not user replaceable! ilan ba sa atin na may ipod na natutulog na dahil sira na after a year or 2? ehehehehehe.

Well, with an attitude like yours I wonder how many Macs you sell… And how many Ipod owners still have their Ipods running after more than two years? ehehehehe. Actually, the non-user replaceable batt on the Air isn't so much a negative to me since it is supposed to have more endurance. If all of this is giving you nightmares, gamit ka na lang ng Neo. It cheap. And you can/need to replace it every year.

honestly apple product(mb, mbp, mb air, g5 etc. is also a computer.... same processor, logic board, hardrive, memory etc..

it is not a superior product or it is not the best... it is also prone to defects..... overheats.... hangs....

ang nagiging problem lang naman e may ibang mac user na akala magaling sila or ahead sila pag naka mac (feeling superior)...

pero ang alam lang e mag internet at mag ms word.. :D

====

Hooray for intel for the macbook AIR!

If you mean that those people who uses mac are fanboi, then i'm a fanboi.

No need to comment on who made the logic board as boomouse already commented on that. Try to research more on Apple on how they influence the IT industries. The window OS that you are using now are influenced by Apple.

I also agree with you on the hardware side of a mac, parepareho lang sila compare to other brands, but Mac OS is what makes it superior. You should know that if you're an adept user of both Mac and Windows OS. Usually those who only barely scratched the surface of the Mac OS and nagsasabi na there's nothing special about the OS.

Agree ako na maymayabang na macuser na di naman alam kung anu ang ginagawa nila, but so far lahat na mga kakilala ko na macusers ay hindi ganyan, and they are the expert in their fields, IT, sounds, entertainement. And they have the rights to be superior, they have achieve a lot of things with their mac.

I'm a mac seller, technician, trainer and a user, so alam ko rin pano sila masira, and i agree its not perfect. But compare it to others... nuf said

Well, with an attitude like yours I wonder how many Macs you sell… And how many Ipod owners still have their Ipods running after more than two years? ehehehehe. Actually, the non-user replaceable batt on the Air isn't so much a negative to me since it is supposed to have more endurance. If all of this is giving you nightmares, gamit ka na lang ng Neo. It cheap. And you can/need to replace it every year.

for the record i do sell around 5-10 units of macbook and macbook pro a month..... maraming mac user na nag sabi na maraming kulang sa macbook air napakamahal pa....

This sounds like sour graping from someone who can't afford a Mac. Like a Kia Pride owner laughing at the BMW owner for wasting so much money on a car that will equally take him from point A to point B.

kia pride? BMW? duh???

isa ka na nga sa mayabang na user...

by the way even asus EEE pag nasa starbucks ako kasabay ang may mac mas marami nagtatanong sakin at lumalapit kung san ko nabili... pero sinasabi ko sa kanila ako nagbebenta for 18K. ^_^

dude same processor, same chipset kahit sa OS lang nagkaiba! O.S. lang nagkaiba...

tara meet tayo pakita ko sayo macbook pro ko at macbook ko pati mga binebenta ko...

by the way.... ok sakin kung gagamitin mo yung mac sa photo and video editing...

and by the way! you can USE MAC LEOPARD OS on a core2duo PC or laptop! way cheaper than your mac.... pero syempre di ko sinasabi sa client yun. hehehehhe.

OS at itsura lang pinagkaiba nyan hindi specs....

saka ingat din kayo may mga hacker narin sa mac... magugulat nalang kayo napalitan na name nung hardrive nyo...

di ko sinisiraan ang mac... ang akin lang e pag bibili ka ng mac wag magyayabang kung pang internet at pang show off mo lang... bilib ako sa mga photographer, videographer, music engineer at mga it professional na nagagamit yung mac on full potential... ^_^

iba kasi ang FANBOI sa mac user alone...

Apparently you know nothing of the design history of the Air. Apple designed the logic board. It was Apple that urged Intel to produce a C2D processor in a package that was 60% smaller. Intel agreed to rework the processor packaging because Apple gave them a guaranteed order volume at a guaranteed price. Because of this, even the jologs windows computer users will benefit.

hahahaha. i pity you... yes apple design the case the housing the shell!! but intel designed, re-designed, engineered their board and processor to fit on a macbook air shell(casing)..

asan ang optical drive?

all i can say.. Its the wrong product for you, but it MAY be the right product for others... o ayan... panalo ka na ha? hehehehe.

Edited by djrs

Mac users believe themselves superior - official

APPLE MAC users are more likely to be open minded and liberal than the rest of the population, according to research conducted in the run-up to the Macworld Expo in San Francisco this week.

But since we're talking about the US population, where liberal is a dirty word and summat like half the population still believes virgins can have children, this probably means little to your average European.

The study of 7,500 respondents, also revealed that people who buy Macs are " less modest, and more assured of their own superiority than the population at large." Quelle surprise!

Accordiing to Sarah Welch, of Mindset Media, which ran the study, what separates the winners from the losers in a market like that for personal computers, "is often the ability to identify and reach the right psychographic. "

By designing computers in coloured plastic cases and charging over the odds for them Apple seems to have stumbled across a magic psychographic formula.

====

i am an apple user, but i am open minded... and i am not a fanboi.... steve jobs is not my god... hehehehehe.

Guest lustfortravel

dude same processor, same chipset kahit sa OS lang nagkaiba! O.S. lang nagkaiba...

tara meet tayo pakita ko sayo macbook pro ko at macbook ko pati mga binebenta ko...

by the way.... ok sakin kung gagamitin mo yung mac sa photo and video editing...

di ko sinisiraan ang mac... ang akin lang e pag bibili ka ng mac wag magyayabang kung pang internet at pang show off mo lang... bilib ako sa mga photographer, videographer, music engineer at mga it professional na nagagamit yung mac on full potential... ^_^

hahahaha. i pity you... yes apple design the case the housing the shell!! but intel designed, re-designed, engineered their board and processor to fit on a macbook air shell(casing)..

asan ang optical drive?

all i can say.. Its the wrong product for you, but it MAY be the right product for others... o ayan... panalo ka na ha? hehehehe.

i am an apple user, but i am open minded... and i am not a fanboi.... steve jobs is not my god... hehehehehe.

sir, i am a mac user also and i use my mac for photo and video editing ( in which you said ok sa iyo pag ginagamit yung mac sa ganun). yes, there may be some people who might not know how to use their macs to their full potential but that doesn't make them mayabang or show-offs. if you must know, i also started out as not knowing anything about mac, being a windows user all my life. but thanks to the people in this thread, i was able to use my mac to its full potential.

mtc gives us the freedom to express our opinions and i know you are entitled to yours, such as the ones you made above. however, there is a thin line between expressing an opinion and being downright rude and insulting. you sir, by your comments above, have shown more arrogance than any fanboi here. please try to respect other people's opinions, too. if they are fanatics, so what? it doesn't give the non-fanatics a right to jeer at them :)

just my two cents.

@lustfortravel,

di ko naman nilahat e... yung mga client kong basketball player... gustong gusto nila mac nila... kasi pang internet at pang everyday use nila... pero never ko sila nakita nagyabang sa ibang friend.....

may ibang user po kasi ng mac na they feel superior... and the irony of it naka bootcamp or naka vmware or parallels para gamitin ang windows xp sa mac dahil di sila sanay sa mac...

why not quote boomouse instead of me?

yung mga sinabi ko base thru my own opinion and thru facts...

ano ba ibig sabihin ng fanboi, fanboy? ibig sabihin lang loyal ka sa APPLE brand... kahit ano ilabas na product nila two thumbs up ka lagi.. wala kang nakikitang negative.

compare ba naman ang kia pride sa bmw....

e kahit vista notebook pwede ng mag install ng MAC OS LEOPARD. and you save thousand of pesos!

boomouse: This sounds like sour graping from someone who can't afford a Mac. Like a Kia Pride owner laughing at the BMW owner for wasting so much money on a car that will equally take him from point A to point B.

No argument that there are defective Macs or Mac being also prone to defect--that is a philosophical argument. But as a package compared to a Vista notebook, Boo! my Mac is far superior.

macbook AIR in manila....

well i guess MBA was ahead of its time..

just like when apple introduced the GUI in the 80's with the small pointing device now we know as "mouse"

but i do admire their engineers for thinking such.. making this notebook so thin.

the way i admire them when they introduce i-pod's click wheel, the multi-touch technology, and other stuff

but the things is i can only admire them.. i have yet to buy apple/mac products just to show off..

siguro when time comes that i need to do highend video editing (canopus) or extreme photoediting (photoshop)

in the mean time i'll try to make most of my cheapo laptop.. :)

Edited by wharkooze
for the record i do sell around 5-10 units of macbook and macbook pro a month..... maraming mac user na nag sabi na maraming kulang sa macbook air napakamahal pa....

kia pride? BMW? duh???

Eh tindero ka lang pala eh. I'll admit that is a respectable number lalo kuns sa shopping mall ka na destino. Mayabang ba ako? Siguro nga. I was the first president of the first Macuser Group in Asia, the HK Macusers Group. I was the first regional desktop publishing product manager of Apple in Asia at a time when you probably were still in diapers. Since then I have owned almost 40 Macs some outstanding some really bad. I have used every Mac OS from version 1 on the Mac 512KE all the way to OS X Leopard server (on my G5 Xserve server at home). At one time, I trained every Apple distributor from the northernmost Apple distributor in Katmandu, Nepal to the southernmost one in Djakarta. From Karachi to Taiwan. In Manila I was responsible for the first DTP-based editorial production systems in major newspapers. When some guys talk of Photoshop and landmark Mac apps, I smile because I was using Photoshop versipn .93 engineering over 5 years before it ran on Windows--I was an Adobe beta tester.

Although I have been retired for almost seven years and just puttering around with businesses that have taken a life of their own and actually don't need my presence, I still enjoy working on my Macs. While my formal academic training is Quantitative and Industrial Economics, I write my own apps in COBOL, C, Pascal, Fortran, Javascript and recently, perl. I know my way around not just OS X but Windows, all versions of MS-DOS, OS2, Vax VMS, IBM AIX, MVS/XA, CICs, RPG, Pick, Novell and Linux. All of these I learned on my own as a hobby mainly while I was Technical Editor of Asian Computer Monthly a computer magazine way before anyone in Asia heard the likes of PC World, BYTE, MacWorld, or ComputerWorld.

I have been the chief information officer of an publishing company in Hong Kong where I setup a shop based on Pick OS minicomputers and generating reports using postfix polish notation off datafiles at the system level.

I have produced a CD-ROM on Philippine History which rans on both windows, Mac and Unix using PDFs with a GUI held together with Javascript and BPI bought a few thousand copies from me to give away to their major clients.

At present, each of my two kids have their own 17-inch Powerbooks, I have an MBP with a recently installed MTRON 128GB solid state drive, one of the first 8-core Mac Pros with 8 GB of RAM, two 23-inch Cinema displays, Apple TV, a slew of iPods, and that xServe server with 2TB of storage on an Airport Extreme Router working off a port on a 48-port Allied Telesyn Switch which is in turn fed the internet through a Cisco 2200 router on an E1 connection IN MY HOME.

Mayabang ba ako? Siguro nga. I did this for your benefit. Because it is the only way I can have you understand that I know whereof I speak. Yes, I probably have an addiction for things from Apple. But I don't just blab about it. I put serious money on the line and I do make an effort to share on this board rather than just grouse about what others have which I don't. You have a MBP? Salary deduction yan ano? Oh no, bonus for selling so many Macs!

by the way even asus EEE pag nasa starbucks ako kasabay ang may mac mas marami nagtatanong sakin at lumalapit kung san ko nabili... pero sinasabi ko sa kanila ako nagbebenta for 18K. ^_^

Yes. Perhaps you are better off selling an Asus.

Instead of that, why don't I invite you to my home to see my computer room…

I didn't realize I needed your approval. Sana noon ko pa nalaman.

and by the way! you can USE MAC LEOPARD OS on a core2duo PC or laptop! way cheaper than your mac.... pero syempre di ko sinasabi sa client yun. hehehehhe.

I have done it. BrazilMac's hack does work fine on most SSE3 and SSE2 Intels. But have you actually done it? Ikaw. Ikaw mismo. Nagawa mo na ba? I even have a ruggedized Augmentyx notebook (based on a Dell 640) with Leopard running. Kung magsalita obvious na hindi mo pa nagawa. Because then you would have known that you have to do a good amount of Unix console trickery and there are nuances between logic boards, processors, and graphics cards. And the install does not work with the auto updates from Apple. You have to wait for someone in the open source community to put together a distro of the most recent updates and then its up to you to make them work. Ikaw, marunong ka na ba ng BSD?

Buti hindi mo sinabi sa client mo. Baka pagawa sa iyo.

OS at itsura lang pinagkaiba nyan hindi specs....

saka ingat din kayo may mga hacker narin sa mac... magugulat nalang kayo napalitan na name nung hardrive nyo...

Ganoon? pareho ang specs? Okay. Then expalin to me please why Apple can afford to make CPUs that are silent with fans that run at such low speeds compared to the buzzsaws that are inside Windows notebooks. An MBP on battery power will survive with the two fans turning at 1,000 rpm. Ever heard of a Lenovo or Compaq or Dell on idle? Obvious yun bentilador di ba? Nakita mo na ba ang hitsura ng logic board ng Mac? Hindi mo pansin yun diperensya sa pagkakagawa ng logic board na galing sa Asus or ESI or Gigabyte? Hindi? Bulag ka.

Ano pakialam mo kung magyabang ang customer mo na bumili ng Mac? Pera mo ba yun pinangbili nila? Buti nga naka commission ka sa benta mo sa kanila diba? So what if all they know is Firefox. If they rave about it for the sake of raving about owning a Mac that is their right and should not be taken against them. Eh sa may pambili yun tao ano magagawa mo? Naiinis ka rin ba sa mga naka Rolex pero lagi naman late sa appointment? O sa mga naka BMW pero hindi marunong mag drive ng "ultimate driving machine"? Eh yun mga naka Range Rover pero hindi gets yun ibig sabihin ng "the Best 4X4XFAR" tapos puro lang sa EDSA kung tumakbo? Mainggit ka kung gusto mo pero hindi mo pwede gamitin yun pagkakaroon nila ng kung anong wala ka na batayan para laiitin sila. Well, pwede mong gawin pero pasenya ka pag may pumatol sa iyo gaya ngayon. Di ba maskit din kung tawagin kang isang hamak na ahente ng Mac?

Actually, hindi masama maging ahenta ng Mac kasi marangal na hanapbuhay yan. But you know when you are being insulted when the term is used in a tone and manner that will sound condescending and obviously intended to put you down. Well, that is how you use the term "fan boy." So skip the bullshit about just using an innocent term. You used the term as a pejorative and you deserve a response in the same spirit that you dished it out.

Kung hindi mo naiintidihan yun product positioning mo para sa Macbook Air, magresign ka na, hahanapan ka ng benta nyan at baka ma bokya ka. Malamang pa naman si Lawrence ang amo mo. Benta ka na lang ng Asus eee. Mura lang yon di ba? Pero problema pa rin. Marunong ka ba ng Linux? Anong mga distro alam mo?

Macs are hacked because some Mac users fall for social engineering tactics. There are exploits recently that detail Mac being hacked through Quicktime. But when Apple pushes out their updates, these are plugged immediately. It is very hard to do a brute force hack into OS X BSD-based unix system because this was designed to be secure from its kernel all the way to the shells. Unlike Windows which dates back to i86 code and DOS.

Matanong lang kita, yun mga bumili ng generic na Windows notebook na nagmamalaki na meron silang notebook, naiinis ka rin ba sa kanila pag nalaman mo wala naman silang alam na gamitin kundi Firefox?

Sabagay, meron kang Mac pero malamang wala ka naman alam sa labas ng user interface. alam mo lang siguro magbenta. Ah nakakainis nga.

Edited by boomouse
well i guess MBA was ahead of its time..

just like when apple introduced the GUI in the 80's with the small pointing device now we know as "mouse"

but i do admire their engineers for thinking such.. making this notebook so thin.

the way i admire them when they introduce i-pod's click wheel, the multi-touch technology, and other stuff

but the things is i can only admire them.. i have yet to buy apple/mac products just to show off..

siguro when time comes that i need to do highend video editing (canopus) or extreme photoediting (photoshop)

in the mean time i'll try to make most of my cheapo laptop.. :)

You are right. Using the right tool for the right task is the way to go. But it is a subjective concept.

On the MB Air, it has no ethernet port just wifi. No optical drive but it has Remote Disc which lets you wirelessly use or “borrow” the optical drive of a Mac or PC in the vicinity. So you can have full access to an optical drive without having to haul one around. This is really a notebook for someone who already has a computer and ideally access to a wifi network.

Remember the iMac intro a decade ago? People were denigrating it for not having a diskette drive and relying on USB instead of the standard serial and parallel interfaces. Even earlier, people scoffed at the Mac when it was first introduced calling its use of a GUI and a mouse as toy-like and not fitting consideration in a serious computing application.

I recall an anecdote of a discussion between I think Apple President John Sculley and one of the tech VPs at Apple:

VP: You know Seymour Cray, the owner of Cray computers has bought a Mac.

JS: Really? That's nice. I guess he knows that we designed the Mac II o n a Cray supercomputer. What is he using the Mac for?

VP: they said he is designing the next Cray on it. :thumbsupsmiley: