Suggest A Good Read...

• 2 weeks later...

i'm a big fan of this series.

fantasy ang genre.

"The Dresden Files is a series of fantasy/mystery novels written by Jim Butcher. He provides a first person narrative of each story from the point of view of the main character, private investigator and wizard Harry Dresden, as he recounts investigations into supernatural disturbances in modern-day Chicago."

"In the world of The Dresden Files, magic is real, along with vampires, demons, spirits, faeries, werewolves, and other mythical monsters. Harry Dresden works to protect the general public, who are ignorant of magic and the dark forces conspiring against them. This makes it difficult for Harry to get by as a working wizard and private eye. The Chicago PD's Special Investigation unit, when led by Murphy, regularly employed Dresden as a consultant to help solve cases of a supernatural nature."

from Wikipedia

i like the wit and humour of the books.

i currently have all the books available on paperback. so that's eleven books in total. from Storm Front until Turn Coat.

EDIT: and i'm also pretty sure all you bastards and pervs would like "i hope they serve beer in hell" by tucker max.

Edited by Labuyo

i'm a big fan of this series.

fantasy ang genre.

from Wikipedia

i like the wit and humour of the books.

i currently have all the books available on paperback. so that's eleven books in total. from Storm Front until Turn Coat.

EDIT: and i'm also pretty sure all you bastards and pervs would like "i hope they serve beer in hell" by tucker max.

Have all Dresden paperbacks too and ive enjoyed each one until White Night. I stopped at that book for now to read the Millenium Trilogy (Steig Larsson's books) that I highly recommend too!

Looking forward to Storm Front and Turn Coat.

The paperback release date of Changes, the latest book in this series is still unknown. Dang.

i've heard somewhere that the Millenium Trilogy by Steig Larsson isn't really just a trilogy? tipong naudlot daw kasi nga tigok na yung author?

i'm really, really piqued by this series right now and i'd like to know if those of you who've read all the books in the series think it's a complete/finished piece of work?

after reading the last book, does it feel like tapos na yung kwento (or at the very least eh may closure na)?

speaking of waiting for paper back editions, i've been hearing that meron na daw paper back edition ng last olympian ni rick riordan?

meron na nga ba nito sa pinas? i've checked sa national, fully booked at power books, wala pa daw.

i've heard somewhere that the Millenium Trilogy by Steig Larsson isn't really just a trilogy? tipong naudlot daw kasi nga tigok na yung author?

i'm really, really piqued by this series right now and i'd like to know if those of you who've read all the books in the series think it's a complete/finished piece of work?

after reading the last book, does it feel like tapos na yung kwento (or at the very least eh may closure na)?

speaking of waiting for paper back editions, i've been hearing that meron na daw paper back edition ng last olympian ni rick riordan?

meron na nga ba nito sa pinas? i've checked sa national, fully booked at power books, wala pa daw.

from what i read, he submitted the three manuscripts and died, so all along i was thinking that it was a completed piece of work.

im still reading book 2 - got sidetracked by true blood LOL. the first book was a bit hard to get into - as in the pacing was slow and the descriptions a bit too descriptive. it picks up after a few chapters. the second book was very different - it was quicker paced but i feel like there are too many things going on at the same time.

i have trade paperback editions of book 1 and 2, havent bought book 3 because i dont see any paperbacks around yet. my sister has the hardbound of book 3 so ill probly borrow and read that and just buy the paperback when it comes out. i dont really like buying and/or reading hardbound books: they are more expensive than paperback, its also harder to read in bed because a hardbound book is so heavy and cumbersome. i like trade paperbacks - slightly bigger than your regular paperback and a bit more durable.

the paperback release date of the last olympian is jan 25 2011 - havent seen any paperback of that one yet.

Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions

is a 2008 book by Dan Ariely, in which he challenges readers' assumptions about making decisions based on rational thought. Ariely explains, "My goal, by the end of this book, is to help you fundamentally rethink what makes you and the people around you tick. I hope to lead you there by presenting a wide range of scientific experiments, findings, and anecdotes that are in many cases quite amusing. Once you see how systematic certain mistakes are--how we repeat them again and again--I think you will begin to learn how to avoid some of them"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

if you're after a sci-fi/fantasy book that doesn't resort to overused story plots.

Sergey Lukianenko's tetralogy (Day/Night/Twilight/Last Watch) is a winner.

despite the fact that the version you'd most probably be reading will be translated from the original russian, i'm betting you'd get the impression that this isn't your usual story borne out of a formula.

I agree this series is a fresh take on overused themes. The way I read between the lines, it's almost philosophical in nature and more mature than other sci-fi's... ;p

The movie (in Russian) also looks amazing, kaya lang hindi ko pa natatapos since the copy I had before ran out of subtitles in the middle. I heard the Twilight watch is currently in production - or was it released?

TO k*ll A MOCKINGBIRD

I read it just a week ago. It was an affecting experience - reading this book in the south with both black and white kids who'd been raised in the south.

I love the setting and characters - but I'm always drawn to that setting and those sorts of characters.

'The Heart is a Lonely Hunter' is a favorite along the same lines-for some reason that's the book we were assigned to read when I was in highschool- and not 'To k*ll

A Mockingbird, so I'd never read 'To k*ll A Mockingbird' in school. And I've never watched the movie.

I think it's on the assigned reading list for highschools even over here now (in the UK) along with 'Of Mice and Men'.

That's saying quite a lot - that they're representative of the American experience during that time and stand above others of that genre.

I'm sure Harper Lee would be proud to know her work stands alongside John Steinbeck's as a perceived 'classic'.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Remains of the Day

Amazing read but very excruciating to just go through it. It's probably the most boring book I've read but once you get to the end, you understand why the first 90% isn't too exciting.

Written by Kazushi Ishiguro (hope spelled it right). He's a japanese guy living in Britain

• 5 weeks later...