Book Or Movies?

• 7 months later...

with regards to movies that are based on books, most of the time mas masarap pa rin basahin yung book version kesa panoorin ang movies. exceptions: bourne series, kasi yung movies did not follow the books anymore. another exception: the god father series...the book totally sucks

Edited by clam_eater

Read, it's good for you. Books inspire thinking, dreaming, and imagining. And no work of Spielberg or Cameron can rival the beauty of your imagination.

"Up until then, whenever anyone had mentioned the possibility of making a film adaptation, my answer had always been, ‘No, I’m not interested.’ I believe that each reader creates his own film inside his head, gives faces to the characters, constructs every scene, hears the voices, smells the smells. And that is why, whenever a reader goes to see a film based on a novel that he likes, he leaves feeling disappointed, saying: ‘the book is so much better than the film."

- Paulo Coelho [The Zahir]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Both have their own merits, I think.

With movie adaptations, the director and scriptwriters can expand the book's dimensions. They can, for instance, put a scene or dialogue which would connect the missing dots in the book, and they can even change the book's flavor a bit so it would fit into the current generation. Also, movie adaptations can make people curious enough to read the book. As a medium in itself, though, movies make for a good audio/visual experience. You can see the characters' facial reactions, their hand/body movements, the places they go through, and such. And of course, aside from the realistic sound effects which add mood and suspense, the soundtrack can make the movie memorable.

Now the written word, though a slow medium in itself, actually makes you think as you read and decode each word. Not only does reading expands your vocabulary, it also gives you control. You are not bombarded with information. You can read and process the data at your own pace. And as one poster here said, it's much more difficult to portray abstract things, like thoughts and ideas, in movies. Just imagine how hard it's gonna be to make a movie adaptation of Robert Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Edited by Lord Superb
  • 1 month later...

Books = para sa mga nag-iisip

Movies = para sa mga indi kayang mag-isip

**Personal observation ko sa mga movies na adapted from books lately. Last good one was the Lord of the Rings series. Even Harry Potter sucked onscreen. Layo ng entertainment value from books. Except of course kung tamad or wala kang pasensya sa pagbasa, or masyadong maikli ang attention span, or course books won't cut it for you.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I liked the movie TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY because of its atmosphere, Gary Oldman and scenes of London, but I love the book most definitely. It is one of my favorite thrillers and I have read it several times since college.

Ang daming binago sa movie. The climactic shootout in the forests in Brno in the book wins hands down over the wimpy shootout in the movie, which was done in of all places a coffeebar in Budapest. That movie scene was so disorienting for someone who loved the book. Parang mali.

• 2 weeks later...