What Has Love Taught You Lately?

1. Love means letting go of expectations.

Sure, we all want people to behave the way we want them to. We want them to be more affectionate. Or more outgoing. Or smarter. Or more ambitious. All of these things are expectations. Expectations are just your requirements for “acceptability” of loving someone. But true love has no expectations. It simply loves “as is.”

2. Love doesn’t play the victim role or blame others.

Love doesn’t think others are “out to get them.” Love doesn’t think their loved ones are wrong. Love works together. It takes responsibility. It forgives and allows other people’s actions to be their journey. Love doesn’t take things personally.

3. Love includes letting go.

Love doesn’t equal possession. Just as the saying goes, “If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it’s yours. If it doesn’t, then it never was.” There is truth to that. Love allows people their freedom. It doesn’t hold tightly and crush their wings in attempt to keep them. True love doesn’t want to possess. It is willing to set you free if you want to be.

4. Love doesn’t require you to continue a relationship.

You may love someone very much. But you may not be compatible with them. Or they may drive you crazy with their continued disregard for your feelings. You can still love them, but that doesn’t mean you have to be with them. Love doesn’t mean that you have to stay, and stay, and stay. You can leave the relationship and love them anyway.

5. Love has no room for jealousy.

Like possession, jealousy doesn’t equal love. We think that if we’re not jealous of our loved ones that it means that we don’t love them. True love has confidence in the quality of the relationship. It knows that the other person is happy and content coming back to you, and only you.

6. Love is the absence of fear.

You can put all emotions on a continuum. On one end, you have love. Then appreciation. After that, it’s joy, happiness, contentment, and satisfaction. On the opposite end of the continuum of love is fear. Other fear-based emotions include, hatred, insecurity, jealousy, or greed.

7. Love is not needing and wanting.

One of the things we try to teach kids is that there is a clear difference between a want and a need. Needing someone is a feeling based in fear. You fear that you can’t live without them, so you need them. And remember, fear is the opposite of love. Wanting someone in your life gives them the freedom to leave, but still shows them you love them.

8. Love is an action, not just a feeling.

Humans tend to be addicted to intense emotion – especially when it feels good. So when we’re in love, we want to feel that way forever. But guess what? That higher than “Cloud 9” feeling goes away after a while. That doesn’t mean you don’t love the other person anymore, it just means that it’s not new anymore. So that’s where the action needs to kick in. Show the person you love them. Don’t just assume they know.

9. Love is unconditional.

The word ‘unconditional’ means that there are no expectations or limitations set. To love unconditionally is a difficult thing, and most humans aren’t good at that. But true love really does love without trying to change the other person.

10. Love means putting other people’s needs equal to – or before – your own.

While people may be inherently selfish for survival purposes, this does not serve us well in relationships. If you don’t put other people’s needs at least equal to your own, they will grow resentful. Real love truly, genuinely cares about other people’s happiness and will go to great lengths to make people feel valued.

• 2 weeks later...

Ganito daw sya...

Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful or conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people’s sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes.

Daw.... I try

Ganito daw sya...

Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful or conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other peoples sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes.

Daw.... I try

1 Corinthians.. forgot the verse number.. but yeah, kaya mahirap magmahal.

Once we're smitten with someone, the whole world seems like a better place. We lose ourselves in loving someone and just can't help but be happy. It's one of the best feelings in the universe.

Once we had our hearts broken, things quickly change for the worse. You're focused on the pain of rejection/betrayal and you find yourself stuck in a dark place and you feel like no one can help you. I've been there. It seems like everything sucks. It only goes to show that our world is as bright of as gloomy as we make it out to be.

Just remember that it is a kind of pain we can learn a lot from. It can either destroy us or make us a better version of ourselves. It's ok to be bitter, and push people away, and being afraid to love again. But it's not ok to stay there forever. 'Moving on' to me doesn't mean that we don't feel anything for our ex anymore, for me it means that we learned something important for our personal growth and that we are finally ready to give the love we never received.

So what has love taught me? The world is only a beautiful place if we choose to believe it.

Tinuruan n'ya kong maging kalma lang. Na kung mararamdaman ko s'ya eh dapat h'wag akong maging selfish. Yung magtiwala ako sa nararamdaman ko. Natutunan kong pakawalan yung taong mahal ko para sa kapakanan n'ya. Dahil yun ang sa tingin kong makakabuti para sa kanya. Natutunan kong magtiis kahit masakit dahil yun ang tama.

• Like (+1) 2

Love has taught me to not throw around the words "I LOVE YOU" nor even "I LIKE YOU" so carelessly, or with reckless abandon.

We Filipinos are a race so obsessed with the concept of "loving and being loved". We even tend to glorify the absurd, poetic reaches of it; letting it slide that some actions are actually incomprehensibly self-destructive, or even disrespectful.

I believe our cultural connotation is dastardly wrong. That is ROMANCE. Love can carry it, but by itself, it is not love.

Romance is you-and-me-against-the-world,

Love is being at peace with the world to help your togetherness.

Romance is trying-to-move-hills-and-mountains

Love is in crossing those obstacles, acts with certainty

Romance is being ready to die for the one you love

Love is to live for one's beloved.

Let us be careful in what we think and what we believe in, especially with something like love. It's more serious than we think. We think that we are expressing it just by saying it; no, those are empty words. Empty songs. Empty poems and empty acts wrought in desperation to feel noticed and fulfilled, because we humans are naturally attention-seekers. Infatuation, in its vise-like grip, has blinded reasoning and meaning in exchange for exuberant emotion.

So before I say those three words again, I will give [her] the fruits of love and let the words make manifest only in affirmation.

Edited by Sinestro
  • Like (+1) 1