• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

How Do Filipinos View Balikbayans?

• 2 weeks later...

Pre kung babasahin mo uli ang last post ko, malilinawan mo na wala akong PhD...mga co-workers ko merong PhD, pero Sir ang tawag nila sa kin.

Maybe I misspoke but my main point here--the notion that Filipino immigrants here are second class citizens in the U.S. is wrong... nasa diskarte mo lang yun pre.

akala ng pinoy pag galing sa abroad ang isang tao pinupulot

lang ang pera kahit ako ganyan din ang attitude dati

ngayon ako naman nasa abroad anak ng putakte

sobrang hirap pala..at tama lang ang sweldo mo para mabuhay

kelangan mo pa ng part time job para kumita ng ipapadala

Yup, kurog21 is right. Those pinoys who haven't been abroad don't know how hard it is. Pag umuwi ka and di mo naabutan ng pera, madamot ka na or kuripot ka. Di lang nila alam na you're working 14 hours a day to para may maipadala sa Pinas.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been going to Manila at least once a year ever since I graduated from College and started working in the US. Each time I go home,, I am welcomed by a huge celebration by friends and far relatives who by most standards are struggling financially and are living difficult lives. Naturally I would always bring them pasalubongs and cash handouts regularly to help them out and show my gratitude. Eventually, I started to feel that they're only happy to see me because of the money and the goods I bring them, like they're seeing me, a balikbayan as a money tree. I could not have been more wrong.

Sadly, I haven't escaped the recent financial downturn and have lost large amounts of money due to failed investments. I still decided to go back to Manila for a badly needed vacation. This time though, I brought back no pasalubongs and just enough cash for my needs. I told everyone in advance of my situation and that I can't bring them back anything. To my surprise, I still got the same huge welcome celebration I've been accustomed to. Afraid that people didn't understand what I had said earlier and that I had brought nothing for them, I eventually started apologizing. The response I got was something I would have never expected and was truly heartwarming.

Someone sensed my unease and proceeded to lecture me on why they've been welcoming me to the Philippines every time I go home. It wasn't because of the money and goods that I brought back. They were happy because through me, through my accomplishments, and through my relative success in life, they saw hope - that someone from their family, someone who they grew up with can achieve so much in life. It's true what they say that when you put others before yourself, then their well being is your well being, and their happiness is yours. I never really understood what that meant until that time.