• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

PacMan's Corner

menime

I think while Manny has captured his 8th title in 8 weight classes, somehow I just don't like the idea that he won a couple or more of those via a catch weight limit. I mean say for this last title bout against Margarito the weight limit for the title should be 154 but they agreed to fight at 150. If you want to be recognized as a champion for the 154 lbs weight class, then face the consequence of having to face an opponent weighting the max allowed for the division even if you are under the weight limit.

But if it's for a non title fight, there is no problem at all for fighting at a catch weight.

I think while Manny has captured his 8th title in 8 weight classes, somehow I just don't like the idea that he won a couple or more of those via a catch weight limit. I mean say for this last title bout against Margarito the weight limit for the title should be 154 but they agreed to fight at 150. If you want to be recognized as a champion for the 154 lbs weight class, then face the consequence of having to face an opponent weighting the max allowed for the division even if you are under the weight limit.

But if it's for a non title fight, there is no problem at all for fighting at a catch weight.

I think he needs to defend the title against a legitimate contender in the light middle weight division @ 154 lbs to legitimize his claim of an 8th title.

If he does and still at a catch weight, it would not do him any good.

Just look at it this way if he was able to defend the 147 title against Clottey at 147 why oes he need to fight Cotto for the title at a catch weight for the 147 belt? Just because Cotto is better than Clottey so he want some leverage?

Edited by peithe