PacMan's Corner

menime

Guest megalodon
Mayweather bro

Pare, remember that Pacquiao's recent opponents had problems dealing with his speed and lateral movement. In a battle of speed, I'd pick Pacquiao over Mayweather. Marquez became slower when he went up in weight unlike Pacquiao who is comfy at welterweight.

Edited by megalodon

Roach belittles Floyd

There was one guy out there who was hardly moved by Floyd Mayweather’s masterful beating of Juan Manuel Marquez over the weekend at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

“Mayweather beat the best lightweight in the world,” said top trainer Freddie Roach, who didn’t even bother to watch the 12-round bout on pay-per-view, insisting that he knew what was going to happen.

“That’s exactly what happened,” said Roach, referring to the lopsided victory posted by Mayweather over the relatively smaller and much slower Mexican.

A noted observer of the fight game, Pacquiao conditioning coach Alex Ariza, said there was no way Mayweather was light when he answered the bell for Marquez.

“He was 158 (or even) 160 lbs),” said Ariza, stressing that even if Mayweather was three divisions heavier, “he couldn’t knock Marquez out.”

Ariza said that while Mayweather was hardly challenged by Marquez and Pacquiao went through rough times with Marquez, it doesn’t follow that Mayweather is going to pick Pacquiao apart.

“It’s different and you can’t compare,” said Ariza.

Ariza said the Mayweather-Marquez bout was a product of “poor matchmaking.”

Meanwhile, Roach and Ariza will arrive at 5:55 a.m. on Tuesday on board a Philippine Airlines flight from Los Angeles.

From Manila, Roach and Ariza will be brought to Baguio City so they could be there in time for Pacquiao’s afternoon workout at the Cooyeesan Hotel, where a well-equipped gym will play host to the fighter’s four weeks of training in preparation for the November 14 clash with Miguel Cotto of Puerto Rico.

Marquez: Pacquiao does better than I did against Mayweather

Juan Manuel Marquez has a liquidity problem and it’s not related to his urine.

No, in the wake of losing 12 out of 12 rounds against a sometimes dazzling Floyd Mayweather Saturday night, the Mexican counter puncher’s obvious problem is he is still drinking promoter Golden Boy’s Kool Aid.

Why else would Juan Ma be babbling about fighting the Manny Pacquiao destroyed Ricky Hatton, a “punched ticket” who keeps talking as though he is retired, next?

I can’t say I feel sorry for Marquez because, as I wrote, he made his deal with the devils and took down at least $3 million for his trouble. But I do empathize with his new situation.

Face facts, he and Pacman will never engage in a third bout. These two trains are headed in different directions and running on different tracks.

I can also understand JMM not returning to 135 pounds so I guess the rest of his fading career will be at 140 pounds.

At least Marquez showed some independent thinking in speaking to HBO’s Jim Lampley, an interview the figher apparently initiated by going over to the broadcast position.

Asked how Pacman would do against the hand and foot speed of Mayweather, Marquez made sense.

“He’d do better,” Marquez said. “Manny is a guy who attacks and Mayweather is one who uses defensive techniques.”

Point well taken from a Hall Of Famer whose accomplishments were based or opponents to make mistakes and then quickly capitalizing on them.

But Marquez-Hatton? That smells like leftover meatloaf to me.

Maybe they can peddle it in the UK, I don’t know.

Maybe Juan Ma can stay at Mayweather’s house, the one he claims he is buying in England because the fans over there have shown him so much love and respect.

Marquez might like that warm British beer.

It might remind him of his training potions.

Bos: If Cotto evades early dynamite, he beats Pacquiao

There’s no one, other than myself, whose boxing opinions I value more than that of legendary matchmaker Johnny Bos.

Add Bos to the growing list of ring experts who think that Manny Pacquaio’s ride of glory may get derailed by Miguel Cotto on Nov. 14.

Why does Bos’ voice matter? Because unlike, let’s say Manny Steward who was bucking to be hired as Cotto’s trainer, Bos has no agenda, no self interest in the fight between the Pinoy Idol and durable Puerto Rican.

To hear Bos tell it, there will be two fights and, if Cotto can survive early, his chances of victory will increase exponentially.

“I see Cotto’s danger period being the first two rounds. He can’t let Pacman explode on him quick like he was able to do against Ricky Hatton. I don’t put much stock in those victories over Hatton and de la Hoya because Ricky ruined himself with alcohol and Oscar was stupid in making the weight three weeks out from the fight date with Manny,” Bos said. “Cotto is a different type of animal as opposed to those two basket cases.

“If Miguel can be wary and careful for the first two rounds, then I think he will be in the fight all the way and can beat Pacquiao. Cotto is bigger and stronger if not quicker than. But he has to watch out for first or second round lightning by Manny.”

Through 40 plus years in boxing, Bos has pegged more than his share of upsets. Like all of us, he has also been dead wrong from time to time.

What alarms me and should alarm any Pacfan is that Bos’ sentiments seem to be sweeping through the ranks of American boxing guys who do know a left hook from a fish hook.

Cotto is a danger man, to use the British expression, for anyone.

Bos knows boxing.

Bos says Pacquiao is in peril after six minutes of action are tolled.

Maybe Pacquiao should redouble that regimen in Baguio.

Bos is not a guy who cries wolf.

PBF was OVERWEIGHT even at welterweight. Had to pay 600K USD as a fine. Marquez shouldn't have fought him with that kind of disadvantage. He hit PBF a couple of times, but had no effect. The guy was just too big. But MAN that DEFENSE was masterful. Boring, perhaps, but I kept thinking, how can PACMAN get through that defense? PBF protects his jaw with his shoulder. And was too fast on his feet.

nice point skitz...

just an observation...Mayweather is one slippery boxer...but why not fake a punch to his head and every time he lunges his head go directly to the body...and when he's already gasping for air in the middle rounds b'coz of shots to the body...his mobility will be less making himself open to Head attacks...hehehe :thumbsupsmiley: ...

but before that there's Cotto...I think Manny should avoid the Ropes with this guy...he's a solid Body Puncher...negating the Speed of his past 3 opponents...Manny should dance with him at the center of the Ring... :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by ungas143
PBF was OVERWEIGHT even at welterweight. Had to pay 600K USD as a fine. Marquez shouldn't have fought him with that kind of disadvantage. He hit PBF a couple of times, but had no effect. The guy was just too big. But MAN that DEFENSE was masterful. Boring, perhaps, but I kept thinking, how can PACMAN get through that defense? PBF protects his jaw with his shoulder. And was too fast on his feet.

i was thinking the same thing. from a mainstream fan point of view floyd is rather boring...but boring or not you have to admire his skills. really makes me wonder what would happen if they were to face each other in the ring...i honestly can't see puckyaw winning by any other way except KO/TKO. and if floyd was to win, it would probably be a unanimous decision

he paid the fine not because he is overweight in the welterweight (he only weighed 146 lbs, a pound below the limit)... he paid a penalty to jmm because they agreed that whilst the welterweight limit is the actual limit, anybody who would weigh above 144lbs would pay USD300k per pound over the limit...

but the pacman can handle mayweather even if he weighs that much... mayweather has yet to meet somebody who has hand speed thats actually speedier than his renowned speed in eluding punches... he said that he can see punches coming but that will never happen when he's up against pacquiao...

First things first! pacman has to defeat cotto otherwise his marketability in going up against mayweather will drop dramatically. on the other hand, if pacman goes on to defeat cotto, then he has all the leverage of asking for high heavens and all his demands could be granted. this includes purse, share of ppv and weight limit which is always a topic of debate.

he paid the fine not because he is overweight in the welterweight (he only weighed 146 lbs, a pound below the limit)... he paid a penalty to jmm because they agreed that whilst the welterweight limit is the actual limit, anybody who would weigh above 144lbs would pay USD300k per pound over the limit...

Thanks for the correction. Damn those ABS-CBN coverage team for giving out the wrong info! Lol! Si Dyan kasi, wala ng inatupag kundi lumandi kay DelaHoya. Leche.

I do not like PBF. Hate his guts. But I'll tip my hat off to the man. Should Manny topple Cotto (which I hope he does in spectacular fashion), this one MEGA-FIGHT vs. PBF will be the ultimate test for Manny. Should he win, then YES, there is an argument to be made, he is ONE OF THE GREATEST FIGHTERS EVER (again IF he wins).

I do not like PBF. Hate his guts. But I'll tip my hat off to the man. Should Manny topple Cotto (which I hope he does in spectacular fashion), this one MEGA-FIGHT vs. PBF will be the ultimate test for Manny. Should he win, then YES, there is an argument to be made, he is ONE OF THE GREATEST FIGHTERS EVER (again IF he wins).

Just a thought: Which fight do you think will be more exciting? Pacquiao/Cotto or Mayweather/Cotto? Regardless of the fact that Pacquiao's the pound for pound king and PBF is the former pound for pound king.

its all about the reach! pacman can handle mayweather...pacman can withstand punches...i have never seen mayweather take hits on his face..

PACMAN being able to withstand punches specially against BIGGER opponents still has to be proven ... he was never " fully tested" in his battle against Diaz, Dela Hoya and Hatton. These guys hardly landed a solid blow.

I beg to disagree. The best basis for this is Oscar Dela Hoya himself. If you compare Manny's performance over Floyd's performance against Dela Hoya, you'll notice a big difference. It favors Manny by a long-shot.

Not too quick on this one ... YES Floyd and Pacman both had their individual battle with Oscar but under different circumstances. When Floyed faced Dela Joya @ 154 the former have to go up in weight. This Dela Joya then was at his comfort zone in terms of weight so to speak. Floyd who is not really known to be a great knockout artist had difficulty knocking Oscar out and settled for a decision. On the other hand Oscar need to go down to 147 vs Pacman. As we probably all know it is easier to gain weight than to loose weight. As such, this really took its toll on Oscar when he fought Manny. He was just too weak during fight night.

My view here is that at 147 lbs Floyed will be stronger that Pacman but at the same time he could match up with Manny's speed therefore Floyd will have an advantage. There is also the reach advantage making it more difficult for MAnny to come close and hit the target.

Against Juan Marquez the fight was supposed to be at 144 lbs but Floyd weight in at 146 then came in at around 160 ... we saw the results.

its all about the reach! pacman can handle mayweather...pacman can withstand punches...i have never seen mayweather take hits on his face..

PACMAN being able to withstand punches specially against BIGGER opponents still has to be proven ... he was never " fully tested" in his battle against Diaz, Dela Hoya and Hatton. These guys hardly landed a solid blow.

I beg to disagree. The best basis for this is Oscar Dela Hoya himself. If you compare Manny's performance over Floyd's performance against Dela Hoya, you'll notice a big difference. It favors Manny by a long-shot.

Not too quick on this one ... YES Floyd and Pacman both had their individual battle with Oscar but under different circumstances. When Floyed faced Dela Joya @ 154 the former have to go up in weight. This Dela Joya then was at his comfort zone in terms of weight so to speak. Floyd who is not really known to be a great knockout artist had difficulty knocking Oscar out and settled for a decision. On the other hand Oscar need to go down to 147 vs Pacman. As we probably all know it is easier to gain weight than to loose weight. As such, this really took its toll on Oscar when he fought Manny. He was just too weak during fight night.

My view here is that at 147 lbs Floyed will be stronger that Pacman but at the same time he could match up with Manny's speed therefore Floyd will have an advantage. There is also the reach advantage making it more difficult for MAnny to come close and hit the target.

Against Juan Marquez the fight was supposed to be at 144 lbs but Floyd weight in at 146 then came in at around 160 ... we saw the results.

Just a thought: Which fight do you think will be more exciting? Pacquiao/Cotto or Mayweather/Cotto? Regardless of the fact that Pacquiao's the pound for pound king and PBF is the former pound for pound king.

Manny is not only the pound for pound best fighter, he is also the ROUND FOR ROUND THE MOST EXCITING FIGHTER. Any fight with Pacquiao will be exciting. And this is where Mayweather loses a lot of the ticket-selling power -- he is DEFENSIVE (boring).

Well yes you do have a point. A good one at that. I just made a comparative contradiction to the poster above.

It would be great kung m22loy ang Fight of the Century Pacman VS Moneyman but in real world of boxing impossible na mangyari due to the fact na both knew na number 1 sila pareho dhil d2 wlang papayag na mging dehado sa hatian.

Gustuhin man natin mangyari ito... sa palagay ko sa Playstation or X-Box na lng natin sila pwedeng paglabanin hehehe... At kung m22loy man ito dadaan ito sa napakahabang proseso.....

Ok nman kya ang kalalabasan ng training ni Pacquiao sa Baguio?

if panalo si pacman kay cotto, sa march 15, 2010 ang date ng Pacman vs Mayweather

ang problema ay yung hatian nila sa pera

both parties will not agree on a 50-50 sharing

so if hindi muna matuloy, baka mangyari ay Mayweather vs Mosley and Pacman vs Bradley

saka uli sila mag-negotiate sa Pacman vs Mayweather if manalo sila sa mga laban nila

In my opinion the only fighter around who can beat both Pacman and Mayweather is Paul "the Punisher" Williams

Mayweather will avoid Williams as much as possible and Pacman even if he wants to fight Williams,

it will be too much of a mis-match/dis-advantage for the Pacman, Williams is 6'3", fast feet and with hands as fast

as the Pacman and has no problem moving up and down in weight class