Trance, Rave, House Music, Progressive...

hotchic_primrose

Kulay did hit the UK Dance Charts then... and yes there was a version done by FatBoy Slim whose real name is Norman Cook (who was once a member of the defunct new wave group The Housemartins)

mr hitman, i just need to ask. how do you suggest we be able to promote and spread awareness of pinoy electronica artists outside of manila?? i would like to hear your opinion on this sir.

Edited by kikmeister
mr hitman, i just need to ask. how do you suggest we be able to promote and spread awareness of pinoy electronica artists outside of manila?? i would like to hear your opinion on this sir.

A difficult question for a difficult situation....

Unfortunately, while Pinoys may have the talent and skill and enthusiasm, the record companies here are still focusing on the masses. What sells most and what profits most is what they will sign up the talent for. "Banda-mania" is still going strong. And the audience for house/trance is still very small considering the entire market. Record companies do not feel that there is a market base that will generate enough profits to support and outpace the cost of producing (reocrding/mixing/mastering/engineering), manufacturing (CD pressing, printing, CD case) and marketing (promos/events/concerts if any) of a house/trance CD. This is why record companies are only willing to come up with a few CDs which feature house/trance on a compilation basis. Other CDs like HK and MOS are simply imported or pressed here as the production costs are eliminated. Only manufacturing and some marketing is done for the CD to make profits.

Since no record company is willing to tread on what to them is the road least taken, the Pinoy electronica artists do not have the wings to fly. Investment is needed to produce the CDs to market (and easy availability) can be done via websites like www.juno.co.uk or other dance CD sites.

Until a record company dares to invest on what is unknown territory, Pinoy electronica will remain very underground.

Unfortunately, while Pinoys may have the talent and skill and enthusiasm, the record companies here are still focusing on the masses. What sells most and what profits most is what they will sign up the talent for. "Banda-mania" is still going strong. And the audience for house/trance is still very small considering the entire market. Record companies do not feel that there is a market base that will generate enough profits to support and outpace the cost of producing (reocrding/mixing/mastering/engineering), manufacturing (CD pressing, printing, CD case) and marketing (promos/events/concerts if any) of a house/trance CD. This is why record companies are only willing to come up with a few CDs which feature house/trance on a compilation basis. Other CDs like HK and MOS are simply imported or pressed here as the production costs are eliminated. Only manufacturing and some marketing is done for the CD to make profits.

Since no record company is willing to tread on what to them is the road least taken, the Pinoy electronica artists do not have the wings to fly. Investment is needed to produce the CDs to market (and easy availability) can be done via websites like www.juno.co.uk or other dance CD sites.

Until a record company dares to invest on what is unknown territory, Pinoy electronica will remain very underground.

difficult?? sounds like fun.. i was thinking of organizing such a project with the jaycees (JCI), but im still pondering on what would be the most effective strategy to achieve that goal. i was hoping you could offer some suggestions since you've been in the scene a lot longer than i have perhaps. maybe not mainstream, but noticeable enough i guess.

difficult?? sounds like fun.. i was thinking of organizing such a project with the jaycees (JCI), but im still pondering on what would be the most effective strategy to achieve that goal. i was hoping you could offer some suggestions since you've been in the scene a lot longer than i have perhaps. maybe not mainstream, but noticeable enough i guess.

Back in days in our small Iligan City,1998, we had some underground House(Techno Pala kasi hinde pa in ang house noon..har har har) Parties, what we did was , since we cant afford to rent a place and we might throw away some money if it wont click,we made a deal with this low profile not classy bar that in every ticket sold he gets 5 pesos, ticket's costed P50/ mura probinsyano kami at bisaya pa..anyways, we printed 1000 flyers, really fancy and sexy ones, we distributed them all to whom we thought might go, teen ages girls , yuppies , gays , rockers etc etc,,,,the bar's capacity was only 75 persons!!! 25% percent of 1000 is 250,,,,figure it out...

Then when the night came, it turn out 400 peeps!!..the place was packed, the airconditioner was cooking us, but the vibe was there....

One problem, we werent able to control the crowd....

sheyt, i miss those days!!!!

Hooking up with the jaycess is a nice idea, just dont tell them this culture will always be connected with exstacy since its the reality.

Just answer these basic questions:

1. Do you think people will buy your CD?

(why buy JAY -R when you can have USHER, why spent my money on the local electronica groups like DRIP or those TERNO records artists when I can download GROOVE ARMADA, ok? why would I buy ANTON RAMOS CD when I have been a fam DJ JOSE PADILLA? )

2. Do you think you are the true school Electronica Artists? baka next year hinde na uso ang House music at hinde ka na rin in. I remember my classmates before, when Grunge was BIG, they were really into it, now i see them listenning to EMO BANDS and this local group Cuese.

reality bites....

I suggest you invest in a recording studio...equipment, real estate, the whole shabang...

When you have a recording studio, invite the local electronica artists to record their stuff in your studio and perhaps have a contract signed up with you.

Then press CDs and sell them... marketing costs and other considerations should be considered as well

This is the only thing I can think of to have Pinoy electronica more exposure

2. Do you think you are the true school Electronica Artists? baka next year hinde na uso ang House music at hinde ka na rin in.

I humbly disagree that house music is just a fad or "uso".

Like it or not, house music is a direct descendant of 70s disco. It was basically born in Chicago in the 80s and has evolved to several genres today.

In the 80s to the early 90s, 12" remixes were the thing to have for DJs and evident in dance floors whether it's Stargazer, Louie Y's, Zig Zag, St. Michael's, Rumors, Faces, Mars, Equinox, Euphoria and other "discos" and "dance clubs" at the time. While the start of house music began with remixing popular songs, the mid 80s saw house developing into its own genre and the late 80s to early 90s saw house music stand out on its own.

Several house sub-genres came out in the 80s such as acid house, ghetto house, electronica and "techno" and in the 90s, progressive house and chill out/ambient came out. At the start of the 21st century, new sub-genres were evolved, namely beach house and "bar groove"

Chicago, Detroit, New York, London and Ibiza were very important places for house music. These four spots greatly contributed and developed what house music is today.

House music has been there for over 20 years. Not many Pinoys know this. But if Pinoys were dancing in the 80s and 90s at the clubs, they just didn't know it was house music they were dancing to. They just called it "disco". And house music will remain and evolve because people will always go out to the club and dance.

Local DJs just have this nasty habit of hiding/not divulging titles of their music so that they "retain" exclusivity. That's a nasty practice. If a local DJ really wants exclusivity of a track, I suggest make his own music or sampled music, produce it and make CDs out of it, just like Tiesto, Kaskade and a whole lot of DJs around the world. In this day and age of the Internet, the imagined 'exclusivity' is no longer attainable. Knowledgeable DJs know where to get their stuff and know what will "click" on the dance floor, and when to stop playing a certain track due to age or overplayed or simply does not get the crowd jumping or climbing up ledges.

"A DJ is a cynic of all music but first, he is here to make you dance." - Bob Sinclar

As for me, as a former DJ and as a listener, even if I don't dance, I have always liked house music. It makes me tap my feet to the beat and lifts my spirits on any given day or night.

Edited by hitman531ph
I humbly disagree that house music is just a fad or "uso".

Like it or not, house music is a direct descendant of 70s disco. It was basically born in Chicago in the 80s and has evolved to several genres today.

In the 80s to the early 90s, 12" remixes were the thing to have for DJs and evident in dance floors whether it's Stargazer, Louie Y's, Zig Zag, St. Michael's, Rumors, Faces, Mars, Equinox, Euphoria and other "discos" and "dance clubs" at the time. While the start of house music began with remixing popular songs, the mid 80s saw house developing into its own genre and the late 80s to early 90s saw house music stand out on its own.

Several house sub-genres came out in the 80s such as acid house, ghetto house, electronica and "techno" and in the 90s, progressive house and chill out/ambient came out. At the start of the 21st century, new sub-genres were evolved, namely beach house and "bar groove"

Chicago, Detroit, New York, London and Ibiza were very important places for house music. These four spots greatly contributed and developed what house music is today.

House music has been there for over 20 years. Not many Pinoys know this. But if Pinoys were dancing in the 80s and 90s at the clubs, they just didn't know it was house music they were dancing to. They just called it "disco". And house music will remain and evolve because people will always go out to the club and dance.

Local DJs just have this nasty habit of hiding/not divulging titles of their music so that they "retain" exclusivity. That's a nasty practice. If a local DJ really wants exclusivity of a track, I suggest make his own music or sampled music, produce it and make CDs out of it, just like Tiesto, Kaskade and a whole lot of DJs around the world. In this day and age of the Internet, the imagined 'exclusivity' is no longer attainable. Knowledgeable DJs know where to get their stuff and know what will "click" on the dance floor, and when to stop playing a certain track due to age or overplayed or simply does not get the crowd jumping or climbing up ledges.

"A DJ is a cynic of all music but first, he is here to make you dance." - Bob Sinclar

As for me, as a former DJ and as a listener, even if I don't dance, I have always liked house music. It makes me tap my feet to the beat and lifts my spirits on any given day or night.

Yo Hitman, I just want to remind those wannabees not to k*ll the scene.

What I am trying to ask was, some people might view house music as a fad or trend, and i consider house music not a fad too,but not all house music lovers out there are hardcore. Believe it or not, grunge genre died but there are still underground grunge band in seattle.

The best way to keep it real , is to educate people regarding house music, and I salute you for that HITMAN.

Anyhows, this December 8, I will be at UNDERGROUNDLOGIC's party,

I am inviting any dj's out there to jam with me, pm me aight.

• 2 weeks later...
guys quick question lang

is there any difference between "techno", "house music", "trance", etc etc etc

or are they all just the same?

I suggest you do some backreading, bro. I think there has been some posts regarding this.

But one quick answer: yes, but picture this: techno music is chocolate while trance and house is M&M/Mars and Hersheys. Get it??? :cool:

I suggest you do some backreading, bro. I think there has been some posts regarding this.

But one quick answer: yes, but picture this: techno music is chocolate while trance and house is M&M/Mars and Hersheys. Get it??? :cool:

oh great thanks... i'll do that back reading thingy