• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Concerts

bluechips

Argh!!!! Just read about this one. Very, very interesting. :thumbsupsmiley:

Juan de la Cruz to play with MPO

By Pocholo Concepcion

Philippine Daily Inquirer

Posted date: April 30, 2008

MANILA, Philippines—What’s the Manila Archbishop doing in a roomful of rock musicians?

It’s quite a sight—Wally Gonzalez, Mike Hanopol, JB Leonor, Lourd de Veyra and others bowing their heads as Gaudencio Cardinal Rosales joins them at the press con for “Fiesta ng Musikang Filipino,” a series of concerts at the Cultural Center of the Philippines Main Theater from May 2 to 4.

The promoters are donating proceeds to the John Mary Vianney Galilee Development and Retreat Center for Priests in Tagaytay, which explains Rosales’ presence.

Inspirational rock

“All music is inspirational,” the Cardinal says. He probably means that even raging punk tunes or indignant protest songs actually aspire for a higher goal.

In any case, a look at the performers’ lineup for “Fiesta” should inspire cheerful thoughts: The Juan de la Cruz Band, backed by the Manila Philharmonic Orchestra, with guests Sugarfree, Up Dharma Down and violinist Lucia Micarelli (tomorrow); JDC, MPO, The Jerks, Radioactive Sago Project and Micarelli (May 3); and Wally Gonzalez and Friends, Sinosikat? and The Dawn (May 4).

The concept may look chaotic at first glance. How, for instance, would the street-noise guitar licks in JDC’s “Beep Beep” meld with the MPO’s symphonic passages? Or will the raw, bluesy sound of “Mamasyal sa Pilipinas” sound as good with violins?

“We’ve done it before,” says Gonzalez. “Twice, in fact.”

Rock operas

He’s talking about a couple of shows in 1970 that featured the original JDC (with the late Edmund Fortuno on drums, and before Hanopol and Smith joined the band) performing “Jesus Christ Superstar” and Deep Purple’s “Concerto” album with Oscar Yatco and Redentor Romero conducting their respective orchestras, also at the CCP.

However, those are rock operas, whose composers (Andrew Lloyd Webber for “Superstar” and Deep Purple’s Jon Lord for “Concerto”) had everything down in music sheets. JDC merely interpreted from original works that they heard on records.

This time, how indeed will JDC’s own songs—apparently written with a much less formal approach (although still composed, with guitar chords)—jive with classical musicians who rely on whole, half and quarter notes, and routinely play under the guidance of a conductor?

Not to worry, assures Rodel Colmenar, MPO conductor, who says that, although it’s indeed a challenge, the orchestra’s role is to enhance the original music.

He proceeds to illustrate with an example that excites: “Himig Natin” will be augmented by Micarelli’s violin.

“That sounds like you’re in heaven,” jokes Gonzalez. (Micarelli provided dramatic flourishes as a guest performer in Josh Groban’s concert at the PICC.)

The younger musicians are simply awed by the thought of playing with Gonzalez, Hanopol and Smith—considered the granddaddies who spawned Pinoy rock.

Dream come true

“As a kid I used to hope I’d get to see the Juan de la Cruz play as a group,” says Leonor. “I never did, not even the recent reunion concerts. Now I’ll get to play with them, with my own band (The Dawn) to boot. I think it will be a very moving experience for me.”

“It’s like drawing a map to know where we came from and where we are headed” quips De Veyra, who’s a nephew of Hanopol’s. “My only regret is not getting to see Pepe (who was late for the press con) and the Cardinal sit together.”

Later, De Veyra whispers that his band, Radioactive Sago Project, is set to play Anak Bayan’s “Jeepney Rock” and a Yoyoy Villame song called “Trapik.”

Now that sounds like a truly festive blast.

Galing ng gig na 2 ..

I was able to watch sago and the jerks na set .. astig!

Tsaka wasak si Luica! .. Hanglupet! :thumbsupsmiley:

Dito pala si Happy Boy!

Plug ko lang for my buddies:

INTOLERANT will be perofrming this Friday, July 25 at TEN 02 Bar along timog (near Sharky's). They'll be joined by other metalheads (dont have the list yet, but i've heard SIn, Bad Burn will be playing also).

I think one of the highlights for the evening will be a performance from our Pinoy friends based in HongKong, SHEPHERDS THE WEAK. SUggest you all try and check them out this Friday. They're a great hardcore band and they truly make us Pinoy's proud back there in HK.

I was with them over the weekend when INTOLERANT and SHEPHERDS THE WEAK performed in HK... and it was a BLAST! those Hong Kong kids (caucasians and chinese) loved both bands... hopefully, our guys from INTOLERANT (Joey Dizon, Pepo Gohu, Russel Dela Cruz and Mic Gallegos) will be able to get a crack and perform in Beijing, Shenzen and Guangzhou and tour with both Shepherds and another HK based band, KING LYCHEE.

Speaking of King Lychee, these guys will be perofrming in Sta Rosa Laguna this July 26 together with Shepherds the Weak. so to all south guys, don't miss this chance and see these HONG KONG based guys perform in our country.

Thanks for reading! I'll plug the posters as soon as i get them....

• 2 weeks later...
Honga peeps, info nman sa U2 concert o, para ma timing ko pag uwi :thumbsupsmiley: ...Cheers

hindi na ata matutuloy ang concert. read it somewhere, they were asking for a place that could house 100k persons. if ever matutuloy daw, definitely not this year.

first off im not a journey fan but im originally from the real OC thats olongapo city :lol: ,revelation was the first cd i bought from them lam nyo na kung baket ...so last night i went to see journey(arnel)in atlanta GA., its a sold out concert small venue though,i was expecting lots of middle age men/women but i was wrong maraming hottie,i was also expecting lots of pinoy pero the place is about 95% caucasian saw two philippine flags though way to represent guys,cheap trick and heart are the front act ang alam ko lang na kanta yung hits nila.

around 9pm eto na sila from the first song arnel(sana magsuot naman sya nang fmcc)he was running,jumping doing splits in the air kala ko mapapagod sya since last night asa north carolina sila but nope he keeps doing his thing,imho kung meron mang nagpunta dun na hinahanap si steve perry eh umuwi sila na bilib kay arnel,meron guy na sumigaw malapit sa akin during open arms sabi nya damn he sounds sooo goood everbody besides him clapped and nodded in agreement...meron pang comment na its unbelievable he sounds so much like him(steve perry) i wished arnel can write one song na sa kanya at mag hit nang husto para wala nang comparison dun sa isa but i know that may be wishful thinking ..they played all the hits and some from the new cd dont ask me about the playlist i just now the hits(did i mention im not a journey fan ;) ) i enjoyed the concert its nice to see a local boy makes it,i hope he is living the rock and roll lifestyle since this kind of opportunity comes only once... kakainggit

hindi na ata matutuloy ang concert. read it somewhere, they were asking for a place that could house 100k persons. if ever matutuloy daw, definitely not this year.

sayang :cry: .....they are really a fr****n cool band from the time they started until now. They may have grown in age but still their an epitome of what "cool" is