On 12/11/2021 at 7:15 PM, jonsnow3000 said:

For those who do not have time to study heavily on the stock market, you may opt to invest on index funds first and just do peso-cost averaging. Your goal should be long-term so you can mitigate the volatility of the market.

i beg to disagree. Here's why:

*Index funds is basically designed to mimic top 30 names (blue chips). So what you buy in here is in terms of NAVPU.

All hindsight, since it already happened (history).

Let's say you bought sometime around jan 29, 2018. from there, market tops and went down by 25.25% (bottomed at oct 2018, then recovered 24.6% at july 2019 (market tops again and went down). so in summary, at this time you still have a loosing position by 7.38%. 

Then again, from july 2019 it drop 51.93% (added to your losses). Then recovered at March 2020 by 60% (today's prices of value). 

So therefore, from your initial bought price (after 3 years of waiting and investing) you are still down by 20.72%.

So what's my point in here. In Phil market, you only make money (long position), when prices go up. But when prices go down (you loose your money). Not everyone is aware that markets move in cycles. 

What's worst in this scenario is when you do peso cost averaging. Since, by doing that, you just increasing your risk on a loosing position. A stock is only good, when prices is going up (so timing is vital).

My piece of advice, if you dont have any time studying and patiently learning the business of trading/investing in the markets (normally it will a year or more), your money is better off alone in the banks.

Just like in other businesses, the odds of doing a certain business, without you having a knowledge of it has a higher probability of it not working.

Ignorance is not an edge in this business.

1 hour ago, ichiromiyata98 said:

i beg to disagree. Here's why:

*Index funds is basically designed to mimic top 30 names (blue chips). So what you buy in here is in terms of NAVPU.

All hindsight, since it already happened (history).

Let's say you bought sometime around jan 29, 2018. from there, market tops and went down by 25.25% (bottomed at oct 2018, then recovered 24.6% at july 2019 (market tops again and went down). so in summary, at this time you still have a loosing position by 7.38%. 

Then again, from july 2019 it drop 51.93% (added to your losses). Then recovered at March 2020 by 60% (today's prices of value). 

So therefore, from your initial bought price (after 3 years of waiting and investing) you are still down by 20.72%.

So what's my point in here. In Phil market, you only make money (long position), when prices go up. But when prices go down (you loose your money). Not everyone is aware that markets move in cycles. 

What's worst in this scenario is when you do peso cost averaging. Since, by doing that, you just increasing your risk on a loosing position. A stock is only good, when prices is going up (so timing is vital).

My piece of advice, if you dont have any time studying and patiently learning the business of trading/investing in the markets (normally it will a year or more), your money is better off alone in the banks.

Just like in other businesses, the odds of doing a certain business, without you having a knowledge of it has a higher probability of it not working.

Ignorance is not an edge in this business.

I agree with you that index funds prices go up and down. not completely true based on my experience. I bought Smc stocks 20 years worth 80k. after 20 years the same smc stock is worth more than 400k  . that is because of the stock dividends and appreciation of prices. the same is true with my aboitiz stocks.

3 hours ago, maskipops said:

Kamusta ba stock market ngayon, ok pa rin ba mag invest dito? I got a COL account way back in 2015 pa yata, will I still be able to revive my account with them? Appreciate any reply from anybody. Thanks

yes. your account never goes away. if you actually remember your username and password, you will be able to log in

Just now, Harding said:

siguro not applicable to all brokers. BA sec nawala records ng stockholdings ko six year ago lang . nilagay nila sa inactive.

its inactive but if you contact them, you can sell your position or have them transferred to another broker. its the duty of a stock broker to know their client and have your records updated yearly (but most do not do this). they also cannot liquidate any of your positions without your approval unless you owe them money due to a margin account or you bought something and did not pay

1 hour ago, marketmover said:

its inactive but if you contact them, you can sell your position or have them transferred to another broker. its the duty of a stock broker to know their client and have your records updated yearly (but most do not do this). they also cannot liquidate any of your positions without your approval unless you owe them money due to a margin account or you bought something and did not pay

i owe them nothing because i deal on a cash basis. maybe the owe me my cash and stock dividends. it is almost a month now and they cannot produce the record. i furnished them my last record in 2016. 

36 minutes ago, Harding said:

i owe them nothing because i deal on a cash basis. maybe the owe me my cash and stock dividends. it is almost a month now and they cannot produce the record. i furnished them my last record in 2016. 

i had a similar experience with a stock brokerage before. i told them that i will report them to the sec and the next day they were able to magically settle my account

6 hours ago, maskipops said:

Kamusta ba stock market ngayon, ok pa rin ba mag invest dito? I got a COL account way back in 2015 pa yata, will I still be able to revive my account with them? Appreciate any reply from anybody. Thanks

Hindi pa yata COL Financial nung 2015, Citisec pa ito dati, brod. It's best to contact them.

• Like (+1) 2