• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After downloading via torrents (say a movie file) ...... how long does one usually keep it seeding ????

At least as long as you arent done downloading.

Remember, the more you upload (seed), the faster you can download even after you had finished your download. Do keep seeding for atleast 10%-30% depending the size of the file. Otherwise, trackers will note you as inefficient.

At least as long as you arent done downloading.

Remember, the more you upload (seed), the faster you can download even after you had finished your download. Do keep seeding for atleast 10%-30% depending the size of the file. Otherwise, trackers will note you as inefficient.

Ethically, you must at least upload the same size as what you have downloaded. 1:1 ratio. Share what you get. :)

I presently have more than 50 movies or tv series being seeded (so long as my home PC is on) ...... some have already gone passed the 1:1 ratio, Should I take that off the torrent or should I just leave it there seeding?

So far, I don't notice any significant drop in downloading speed, its more dependent on the number of seeds present at a particular time. There are times that with a good number of seeds I'm able to get DL speeds of up to 225 kbps.

Hmmmmm so there really are trackers keeping watch eh.

Edited by asmodeus

I presently have more than 50 movies or tv series being seeded (so long as my home PC is on) ...... some have already gone passed the 1:1 ratio, Should I take that off the torrent or should I just leave it there seeding?

So far, I don't notice any significant drop in downloading speed, its more dependent on the number of seeds present at a particular time. There are times that with a good number of seeds I'm able to get DL speeds of up to 225 kbps.

Hmmmmm so there really are trackers keeping watch eh.

Actually, the "rule" about you getting more download speed if you upload/seed more is up for debate. I download tens of gigabytes of stuff a month but I seed for no more than 1 week per torrent with a ratio far lower than 1:1. I also throttle down the upload bandwidth really low on my machine so I won't have a lot of disk I/O performance hit on my end. But the sneeky rule about speed is that "know thy seeder". You get significant downloads speed if you know which seeders have fast network connections such as T1, T2, etc.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

B) any tips on how to increase my download speed...before i usually reach up to 140kbps when downloading via torrent...now i cant even get way past 40kbps...is there any issues with the new version of utorrent...since i havent changed any settings in my laptop...any inputs... B)

if you are using at least version 2, try running the speed test again in the setup guide. it will automatically adjust your settings to your current internet speed.

• 1 month later...

Actually, the "rule" about you getting more download speed if you upload/seed more is up for debate. I download tens of gigabytes of stuff a month but I seed for no more than 1 week per torrent with a ratio far lower than 1:1. I also throttle down the upload bandwidth really low on my machine so I won't have a lot of disk I/O performance hit on my end. But the sneeky rule about speed is that "know thy seeder". You get significant downloads speed if you know which seeders have fast network connections such as T1, T2, etc.

only the private trackers keep track of your seed ratio. Public trackers do not.

• 4 months later...