knockout stage round of 64:

Johann Chua vs. Yukio Akagirayama (former world 9-ball champion)

Jeffrey Ignacio vs. Jason Klatt

Antonio Gabica vs. Ruslan Chinakov

Oliver Medenilla vs. Karol Skowerski

Dennis Orcollo vs. Mishel Turkey (the crowd favorite due to home court advantage - the lone Qatari elims survivor)

Raymund Faraon vs. Warren Kiamco

Carlo Biado vs. Lee Vann Corteza (I've seen these two play money games, so expect fireworks!)

semifinalist WPA World 9-ball championship:

Wu Jia Qing vs. Ko Pin Yi (youngest World 9-ball champion vs. current world 10-ball champion)

Shane Van Boening vs. Ko Pin Chung

yes, you read it right...no kababayans on the list...all filipinos were eliminated...Dennis Orcollo reached the quarterfinals but The South Dakota Kid Shane Van Boening dismantled our nations last hope at the tune of 11-1.

Can we see a brother vs. brother finals (Ko Pin Yi vs. Ko Pin Chung)?

Can Shane Van Boening shut all critics and finally become a world champion?

Can the youngest world 9-ball champion Wu Jia Qing make a repeat?

Who will make 9-ball history?

very late update due to the weekend break:

Congratulations to Ko Pin Yi for winning the 2015 WPA World 9-ball championship.

He defeated Shane Van Boening in the finals and completed a revenge against the man who eliminated his brother Ko Ping Chung.

Winning the world 10-ball and the world 9-ball championship in the same year is a historical achievement.

Edited by deathscythe0402

It's Chinese Taipei vs. England B in the finals of 2015 World Cup of Pool.

This is the first time Chinese Taipei reached the finals and the tandem of Ko Pin Yi and Chang Yu Lung really make wonders. who again? Ko PIn Yi? the current world 10-ball champion? the current world 9-ball champion? again in the finals, this time in the world cup of pool? oh yes you read it right...it's him again in one of the grandest stage of pool. They will be up against Mark Gray and Daryl Peach, the guy who beat Roberto "Superman" Gomez in the finals of the 2007 world 9-ball championship. Ko Pin Yi has proven that this is his year and here is another way to put an exclamation to it...oh by the way, i will not be surprised if he will win the US 9-ball Open probably this October.

The Philippine tandem of Carlo Biado and Warren Kiamco reached only the second round of the tourney...we were beaten by Team England B.

Good luck to both of the finalists!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did anyone read the article about billiards on fhm?

It is an interesting read...

And very true...

Sponsors are backing out and players avoid tournaments in our country because they were not paid their prize...

Professional players now become coaches in other countries, retire and run for office (marlon manalo i think is a barangay captain in mandaluyong) or go back to hustling amateur players..

Where are ronnie alcano, jeff de luna, gandy valle, and the others? Well django and bata are now enjoying the fruits of their glory days...

I only hear about dennis orcullo in recent news articles

sorry for the late reply and update...

IT's TRUE...many pros and organizers are avoiding our country now in terms of hosting tournaments

the clear proof was the 2015 World 10-ball Championship which was held this early this year at Gen. Santos wherein Ko Pin Yi of Taiwan bagged the prize and the glory.

after that event, right and left complaints came out.

first, the security (some pro players did not participate due to fear of security...correct me if im mistaken Neils Feijen)

second, the tables used (old and used)

third, the flooring (no carpets)

fourth, the officiating (Shane Van Boening got pissed in his last match, walking out of the tournament)

fifth, the prize (there was a misunderstanding between the organizer and players regarding the prize and the tax by WPA, again correct me if im wrong the organizer in terms of prizes in this tournay was a relative of Manny Pacquiao....simple mismanagement? or what? you be the judge to that)

this is sad for the progress of Philippine billiards.

Filipino cue artists were hired to coach other billiard players in other countries...perfect example...Antonio "Gaga" Gabica ...

aside from being coaches and since not much big tourneys here in our country...our very own greats were forced to go abroad to join....depending on their managers/sponsors. Dennis Orcollo, Jeffrey Ignacio and Warren Kiamco were among those active i can surely say that are being actively sponsored now. Dennis Orcollo is with Bugsy Promotion. Jeffrey Ignacio is with Star Paper. Warren Kiamco and Carlo Biado, honestly i don't know their sponsors unlike Efren and Django who were sponsored by Puyat in their peak. Lee Vann is with Jonathan Sy but now I don't know.

One thing for sure eventhough you cannot see them most of time in the tournament these could only be the reason:

1. no financial support/ no sponsor

2. loss in the qualifying match

3. not invited to join because their WPA ranking is not sufficient enough for them to qualify. example - World Pool Masters

if i miss something feel free to share.

Ronnie Alcano, Jeffrey de Luna and other pros were active in money games....watch you tube...type money game billiards...then pick..enjoy

for live actions...i can always see Lee Vann Corteza at AMF Billiards in Cainta and Sta. Lucia East Billiards Center.

Renemar Revo David, Nokoy Lining, Boy Ducanes and Jericho Banares - you can sometime find them at Sta. Lucia East.

Jeff de Luna and Jeff Ignacio, Warren Kiamco, Raymund Faraon, JUndel Mazon, and Johann Chua at Star Billiards.

Feel free to share everyone :)

Where are ronnie alcano, jeff de luna, gandy valle, and the others? Well django and bata are now enjoying the fruits of their glory days...

I only hear about dennis orcullo in recent news articles

Pahabol:

Ronnie Alcano was with Bugsy Promotions but Manny Pacquiao hired him as his coach/trainer. They even paired up in some tournaments. I'm not sure if Perry dropped him in the Bugsy line up.

Gandy Valle - as far as i know he is retired. just correct me if im wrong guys, i welcome feedbacks.

Marlon Manalo - i don't know about his political career but one thing for sure, he is not active in joining big tournaments. He also have a billiard hall in Mandaluyong as his business but now i don't know.

Snooky Villanueva - i can seldom see him at Sta. Lucia East playing money games. but as i can see age is his best rival now.

Efren Reyes - active in playing money games around the country. yes enjoying the fruit of his legendary career. i wonder if the IPT already paid him the full 200,000 USD as the prize money he won in the IPT King of the Hill against Mike Sigel. wow!

Django - like Bata active in money games around the country.

Jeff "The Bull" de Luna - i'm not sure if he is also managed by Star Paper like Baba. but actively playing in big tourneys.

Dennis Orcollo is always hot in the news when pool is the topic. Being a former world 8-ball champion and being formerly ranked number 1 in the world by WPA, Dennis has bagged numerous titles and championships including the dramatic 2013 World Cup of Pool wherein he was paired with Lee Vann Corteza. i love continuously watching the winning rack of that tournament. He also won the gold in the SEA games. And before the start of the WPA world 9 ball championship this year he was heavily favored to bag the crown and they said he was overdue to win that event. unfortunately he lost in the semis to SVB.

Now that Django and Bata hanged their cue. Dennis Orcollo, Carlo Biado, Warren Kiamco and Jeffrey Ignacio were the flag bearers of our country when it comes to bringing back billiard supremacy.

Mark the date: December 7, 2015 --- Mosconi Cup

Team USA: Shane Van Boening, Mike Dechaine, Justin Bergman, Skylar Woodward, Corey Deuel

Team Europe: Niels Feijen, Darren Appleton, Nick Van Den Berg, Karl Boyes, Albin Ouschan

which country will claim the trophy and most of all the pride and honor?

My fearless forecast: Team Europe.....3 world champs in the roster, meaning, this cue artists know how to win big time! and i give them the credits for that. but of course, the ball is round, anything can happen ;)

2015 Mosconi Cup

Team England ended the day with a slim 3-2 lead over Team USA.

Europe 4-5 USA (team game)
Boyes / van den Berg 5-4 Deuel / Dechaine
Ouschan / Appleton 1-5 Van Boening / Woodward
Darren Appleton 5-1 Van Boening

The games have just started and there is no safe lead this early. The pressure keeps on rising every game, we could expect a high intensity matches in the coming days :)

very late update: (sorry, busy sched)

Team Europe emerge as the victors of this tournament. the last day showcases cliffhanger matches including the battle of the mosconi rookies Ouschan vs. Woodward, wherein, Ouschan hold his nerve, sank the final 9-ball for the match and the tournament.

I hope next year, Team USA will bring back their legends to reclaim the glory. however, like team Europe their pros undergo a point system to determine who will join their team for the mosconi cup. forget about that point system team USA.

BRING OUT THE BIG GUNS! (Strickland, Archer, Morris, Van Boening, Bergman for mosconi cup 2016)

• 1 month later...

usapang tungkol sa bilyar.

my favorite billiard players ---- Efren "Bata" Reyes

san madalas magbilyar ------ BEC Magallanes

san madalas ang pustahan-- Rak em up Makati

pre san ung rack em up sa makati? balita ko mayroon ding bilyaran sa makati na lagi pinupuntahan ng mga pro at malakas din ang pustahan. ung bilyaran sa may tapat ng makati cinema square?

di ako sure kasi ang layo ng makati sa place ko...kaya di ko rin alam ung name ng bilyaran na un sa tapat ng makati cinema square...

feel free to feed our mind :)

Derby City Classic on the way...one of the prestigious tournaments in the sport.

Bata, Django, Carlo, Warren, The Lion, Jeffrey I., Superman and Robocop all joined this event.

Last year it was The Lion Alex Pagulayan who bagged the all around champion of this tourney.

Let's find out who will be this year....

My forecast - either Bata or Carlo Biado :D