Migraine Tips

tazmanic

The best thing to do when you're having migraine is to go into a secluded place preferably a room void of nuisance... where it is quiet with dim lights and where you can relax.

Close your eyes for a few minutes and try to take a nap. It helps me quite a lot. Sometimes when I get those at school I would have my boyfriend get me a medicine a the clinic and go to an unused classroom or a quiet hallway he would then cuddle me to help me relax.

*Anyway I haven't tried this yet but some people say that having an orgasm alleviates migraines. ^-^

Goodluck

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best thing to do when you're having migraine is to go into a secluded place preferably a room void of nuisance... where it is quiet with dim lights and where you can relax.

Close your eyes for a few minutes and try to take a nap. It helps me quite a lot. Sometimes when I get those at school I would have my boyfriend get me a medicine a the clinic and go to an unused classroom or a quiet hallway he would then cuddle me to help me relax.

*Anyway I haven't tried this yet but some people say that having an orgasm alleviates migraines. ^-^

Goodluck

Hahaha. And hope you don't have an orgasmic headache :P

But sure you could try sibelium. It does work for a number of migraine patients.

But I think the key is to (1) avoid known triggers (MSG, alcohol, cigarette smoke, too much/too little sleep, chocolates, etc.) and (2) take the pain meds at the start of the headache, not when it's already severe and intolerable.

• 3 months later...
I also used to have terrible migraine attacks that goes on and off for days and sometimes even weeks (you know, the feeling that the pain is just lingering and any moment a major attack would happen). At times I would wake up in the middle of the night with tears in my left eye involuntarily flowing because of pain in the left side of my head. I've tried Ponstan SF 500 but it only works for a while and also tried Avamigran but its useless once the attack has already started. Like most migraine sufferers, my migraine is triggered by a change in weather, chocolates, coffee, too much sweets, lack of sleep, and stress.

This was a torture I had to endure way back in 1994. It was only now that I realized I haven't had a migraine attack for more than 10 years already. My doctor and I experimented with several prescription meds during that time until we found one that worked for me. If I remember correctly, it was a prescription drug called Sibelium which I had to take 2x daily for a month which solved my suffering. I had to take it even if I didn't have an attack (and during the treatment period, the migraine did not immediately stop even when I was already taking the drug). But it did work after I completed the prescription period.

Ask your doctor about it, it might also work for you.

Bro who did you see for your migraine? Since monday I've been having migraine really bad. Hindi pa naman ako sakitin so ngayon na may sumasakit sakin bad trip talaga. I really need to fight this. I can't identify pa naman what's triggering it. I'm going to see an eye doctor later and I hope yun lang yun. Thanks to everyone this thred is helping a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

i used to take avamigran but switched back to ponstan caplet. what i do is go take a shower, take ponstan caplet, go to my room and shutdown everythin (door, light, sounds), cover my head with a pillow or my eyes with a small towel and get some good sleep..after 2 hours or so, am relieved na.

• 1 month later...
Bro who did you see for your migraine? Since monday I've been having migraine really bad. Hindi pa naman ako sakitin so ngayon na may sumasakit sakin bad trip talaga. I really need to fight this. I can't identify pa naman what's triggering it. I'm going to see an eye doctor later and I hope yun lang yun. Thanks to everyone this thred is helping a lot.

If this is your first headache, it may or may not be migraine, which is a special headache type.

If it is not migraine, it is most likely tension-type or stress headache, which may explain why you can't identify a specific "trigger", although stress may also trigger migraine headaches. Treatment is obviously stress management and pain meds for symptomatic relief.

I doubt it is an eye problem unless you have acute inflammation of the eye (causing eye pain/headache), which usually is also accompanied by eye redness and/or blurred vision.

Sorry if this comes after the fact (siguro naman your headache has resolved by this time), but haven't logged into MTC in a while.

• 3 weeks later...
If this is your first headache, it may or may not be migraine, which is a special headache type.

If it is not migraine, it is most likely tension-type or stress headache, which may explain why you can't identify a specific "trigger", although stress may also trigger migraine headaches. Treatment is obviously stress management and pain meds for symptomatic relief.

I doubt it is an eye problem unless you have acute inflammation of the eye (causing eye pain/headache), which usually is also accompanied by eye redness and/or blurred vision.

Sorry if this comes after the fact (siguro naman your headache has resolved by this time), but haven't logged into MTC in a while.

Never treat repeated migraine attacks as a simple or temporary thing. I got migraine as my previous doctors told me, since my college days. Last year, attacks became more painful and unbearable. I had an immediate MRI and was diagnosed to have a Stage 4 brain cancer.. a GBM in fact...the most aggressive of all brain cancers...

It's always the best to seek professional help from doctors (neurologist or neuro surgeon)

• 8 months later...
Guest SCHIZOPRENIC

i don't know if this is just a coincidence, maybe i'll try it again kapag inatake ako ulit ng migraine, i usually in pain for 3days kapag di ko ininuman ng gamot, i don't want to be immune sa mga pain reliever. kaya umiisip ako ng ibang paraan like umisip ako ng sexual fantasies and nag ipsation ako afterwards, nawala. skelan forte binigay sa king gamot dahil yung ibufropen hindi tumatalab sa sakit ng ulo ko.

just wanna share some info to enlighten our MTC peeps about migraine headaches...

Migraine is a neurological syndrome characterized by altered bodily perceptions, headaches, and nausea. Physiologically, the migraine headache is a neurological condition more common to women than to men.

The typical migraine headache is unilateral and pulsating, lasting from 4 to 72 hours;[1] symptoms include nausea, vomiting, photophobia (increased sensitivity to bright light), and hyperacusis (increased sensitivity to noise);[2][3][4] approximately one third of people who suffer migraine headache perceive an aura — visual, olfactory — announcing the headache.[5]

Initial treatment is with analgesics for the head-ache, an anti-emetic for the nausea, and the avoidance of triggering conditions. The cause of migraine headache is unknown; the accepted theory is a disorder of the serotonergic control system, as PET scan has demonstrated the aura coincides with diffusion of cortical depression consequent to increased blood flow (up to 300% greater than baseline). There are migraine headache variants, some originate in the brainstem (featuring intercellular transport dysfunction of calcium and potassium ions) and some are genetically disposed. Studies of twins indicate a 60 to 65 per cent genetic influence upon their developing propensity to migraine headache. Moreover, fluctuating hormone levels indicate a migraine relation: 75 percent of adult patients are women, although migraine affects approximately equal numbers of prepubescent boys and girls; propensity to migraine headache is known to disappear during pregnancy.

Signs and symptoms

The signs and symptoms of migraine vary among patients. Therefore, what a patient experiences before, during and after an attack cannot be defined exactly. The four phases of a migraine attack listed below are common but not necessarily experienced by all migraine sufferers. Additionally, the phases experienced and the symptoms experienced during them can vary from one migraine attack to another in the same migraineur:

The prodrome, which occurs hours or days before the headache.

The aura, which immediately precedes the headache.

The pain phase, also known as headache phase.

The postdrome. Diagnosis

Migraines are underdiagnosed[31] and misdiagnosed.[32] The diagnosis of migraine without aura, according to the International Headache Society, can be made according to the following criteria, the "5, 4, 3, 2, 1 criteria":

5 or more attacks

4 hours to 3 days in duration

2 or more of - unilateral location, pulsating quality, moderate to severe pain, aggravation by or avoidance of routine physical activity

1 or more accompanying symptoms - nausea and/or vomiting, photophobia, phonophobia

For migraine with aura, only two attacks are required to justify the diagnosis.

The mnemonic POUNDing (Pulsating, duration of 4–72 hOurs, Unilateral, Nausea, Disabling) can help diagnose migraine. If 4 of the 5 criteria are met, then the positive likelihood ratio for diagnosing migraine is 24.[33]

Migraine should be differentiated from other causes of headaches such as cluster headaches. These are extremely painful, unilateral headaches of a piercing quality. The duration of the common attack is 15 minutes to three hours. Onset of an attack is rapid, and most often without the preliminary signs that are characteristic of a migraine.

Migraine attacks may be triggered by:

Allergic reactions

Bright lights, loud noises, and certain odors or perfumes

Physical or emotional stress

Changes in sleep patterns

Smoking or exposure to smoke

Skipping meals

Alcohol

Menstrual cycle fluctuations, birth control pills, hormone fluctuations during the menopause transition

Tension headaches

Foods containing tyramine (red wine, aged cheese, smoked fish, chicken livers, figs, and some beans), monosodium glutamate (MSG) or nitrates (like bacon, hot dogs, and salami)

Other foods such as chocolate, nuts, peanut butter, avocado, banana, citrus, onions, dairy products, and fermented or pickled foods.

:mtc:

Never treat repeated migraine attacks as a simple or temporary thing. I got migraine as my previous doctors told me, since my college days. Last year, attacks became more painful and unbearable. I had an immediate MRI and was diagnosed to have a Stage 4 brain cancer.. a GBM in fact...the most aggressive of all brain cancers...

It's always the best to seek professional help from doctors (neurologist or neuro surgeon)

i`m sorry to hear that you have glioblastoma multiforme bro...

it must be very difficult for you...

• 1 month later...
Is there any medicine for maintenance ng migraine? And could this be connected somehow to poor sleep posture or TMJ?

studies done seem to indicate that there are correlations between poor sleep posture and TMJ disorders vs. migraine headaches..

for general pain management of migraine, several types of meds are used :

narcotic analgesics

non-narcotic analgesics

NSAIDS

OTC pain medications

i would suggest that you should consult with a physician if you suffer from persistent/recurrent migraine headaches..

Edited by peterparker
Guest mirang

been taking dolcet- a combination of tramadol and paracetamol, it works for me, 1 tablet lang and a cup of black coffee, 15 minutes lang, wla ng pain... it's also recommended for persons who have allergic reaction on ibuprofen or naproxen

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

meron akong nalaman sa isang palabas na puro DOCTORS.. well all you have to do when you feel it, just go to a dark place.. really dark. maybe close all your light in your room and put a cold cloth in you head. Me history kami ng migraine sa family and this simple way works.. well according to the doctor parang effective daw ang botox.. pero syempre sa mga walang budget and for first aid purposes this simple way is recommended.. happy.gif

meron akong nalaman sa isang palabas na puro DOCTORS.. well all you have to do when you feel it, just go to a dark place.. really dark. maybe close all your light in your room and put a cold cloth in you head. Me history kami ng migraine sa family and this simple way works.. well according to the doctor parang effective daw ang botox.. pero syempre sa mga walang budget and for first aid purposes this simple way is recommended.. happy.gif

• 2 months later...