Supplements - to Take or Not to Take?

that's weird, i see three-band white traces in the inside of my dark shirts as well. and i thought i was a freak :boo:

hypertension runs in my family tho, so i just make do with what salt my food comes with.

but then these past few weeks i've been eating gyudon beef/sushi + wasabi/soy sauce EVERY SINGLE FRICKIN DAY- hafta check my BP sooner or later....

it seems ur getting plenty then... and then some

me, I take Optimum Whey Gold standard. I'm not sure if it's still true with how fast these supplements get developed/enhanced. The Gold standard has 24 grams of protein per scoop. One of the highest if not the highest in its class. Low carb pa sya as it uses Splenda to sweeten it plus its friendly to lactose intollerant people. I used to pair it with creatine as well kaya lang I noticed that it tends to bloat me. I'm targetting a lean physique so that doesn't work. Yoko naman mag mukhang wrestler.

Some tips for you guys targetting the lean, ripped look.

I got this from an ebook I bought and mukha namang it's working for me.

You only achieve the ripped (not buffed) look by achieving balance in 3 main aspects of your fitness plan.

a. diet

b. cardio exercise

c. resistance training

I'll try to discuss each in detail (on a series of posts)

For now, I'll start with the diet; (just a tip, don't measure your progress with the amount of weight you lost (muscle is heavier than fat and the more you develop them the heavier you get), 1 of the most effective measures would be your waist line. Using the approach I'll discuss, I was able to go back 4 belt holes (and mind you I didn't even start really fat) and I've managed to stay at a very nice level.

To start off, your diet should be a nice balance of protein, carbohydrates and believe it or not fat (the good ones atleast). Do not go with those fad diets that take out any of the three. They will work in the beginning but you're guaranteed to yoyo back to if not your starting point, somewhere worse. It f*cks up your metabolism, believe it.

To lose weight, you'll have to count calories (yep, it's inevitable). You'll have to get some guidance though on what you're calorie intake should be to sustain your day to day activities. As a rule of thumb, for middle aged, office people like me, 2000 calories is all I need to sustain all my activities. To lose weight, you can play around with either

a. consuming less calories

b. burning more calories

Getting ripped continued..

So, to summarize, your goal is to burn more than you eat. This is where it gets interesting.

To aid your body in burning what you eat, you have to raise your basal metabolic rate. Yup, the rate at which your body burns food on your normal day to day state.

How do you achieve this? By achieving a balance on the kind of food you eat and your training plan. Since we're still on the topic of the proper diet, here's the suggested diet plan;

target to consume less than the 2000 calorie limit, a 20% deficit is a nice target. So that's like 1600 calories for the day.

Where and when you get the calories also matter. To answer the where, target getting aroud 50% to 60% of your calories from protein, the rest from a combination of good fats (nuts is a good source) and carbs (wheat bread or brown rice or even kamote).

Use the tapering approach when you spread your calorie intake throughout the day. You'll have to spread the 1600 calories in atleast 4 to 6 small meals.

Don't skip breakfast. This can and should be your heaviest meal of the day. You can concentrate your carbs here. You have the rest of the day to burn them. But then again, don't overdo the "heavy meal" here. You still have 3 or 4 more meals to worry about. You have to do this so that your body gets acquainted to burning food constantly and not store it as fat. Your last meal should be atleast 3 hours before you sleep so that you still get to burn it before you retire for the day.

• 2 weeks later...

when i was starting weight training, i used celltech from muscletech. stacked it up with optimum whey protein. i gained a few pounds only and was not able to maximize the suplements full potential with the program i was in at that time. proper training (weight, sets, reps, rest, form, cycling) is what people should really focus on and not just depend on the suplements that they're taking.. :D

Some tips for you guys targetting the lean, ripped look.

I got this from an ebook I bought and mukha namang it's working for me.

dude, what ebook exactly do u have there with you? how much was it? thanks.. :mtc:

when i was starting weight training, i used celltech from muscletech. stacked it up with optimum whey protein. i gained a few pounds only and was not able to maximize the suplements full potential with the program i was in at that time. proper training (weight, sets, reps, rest, form, cycling) is what people should really focus on and not just depend on the suplements that they're taking..  :D

dude, what ebook exactly do u have there with you? how much was it? thanks..  :mtc:

It's "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle". Costs me around $40. Comprehensive approach sya towards losing weight and gaining lean mass. Most of the info are already known in the fitness world pero what's unique about it is how it's puts things together to come up with a complete approach to achieving your goals.

QUICK QUESTION SIRS: WHAT ELSE DOES WHEY PROTEIN DO ASIDE FROM BULKING YOU UP? IS IT TRUE IT SPEEDS UP THE METABOLISM AS WELL SO YOU CAN BURN FAT FASTER? GOT THIS INFO FROM A FRIEND. THANKS!

That may be partly true. The thing is, whey protein in essence is still food. From what I've learned so far, the body deals with different types of food by adjusting your metabolism accordingly. Arranged from easiest to hardest to digest/breakdown, here's how the food groups fare; carbohydrates, fat, protein. If your diet consist mainly of carbs then your body doesn't have to do much to get the energy from it. If you eat more of protein rich food, then your body has to raise its metabolic rate to process the protein. What happens is that your body will consume easier to digest food before it taps into the harder to digest ones. So, in theory, if you only eat protein, your body will try to process the fats in your body including some of your body fat. This concept is mostly the basis for most fad diets like Atkins and Soutbeach. To add, if you're into lifting weights, the whey protein aids in building/repairing your muscles translating to a more muscular body type which in turn translates to a higher metabolic rate.

i take whey protein by champion nutrition. double chocolate flavor. :mtc:

It's "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle".  Costs me around $40.  Comprehensive approach sya towards losing weight and gaining lean mass.  Most of the info are already known in the fitness world pero what's unique about it is how it's puts things together to come up with a complete approach to achieving your goals.

dude, this ebook that u mentioned here on this thread, may tungkol ba sa exercises to use to get ripped? nabasa ko sumwer that in order to have cuts para makita definition is to lower body fat. ganon din ba dyan sa ebook mo? or may certain exercises lang din? sets and reps? thanks dude.. :mtc:

Quick question- if youre taking creatine, are you supposed to avoid citric acid all the time? Here's my case: I take the stuff (creatine) 5x/week on maintenance periods (on training days), and in 2 days of those usually I still drink orange juice (boxed, not the sugar calorie-infested powdered ones), usually on my cheat meal days..am I rendering the creatine usuless, or worse, hurting myself this way? :huh:

Nope. In fact, there was once a prpduct released called creatine citrate, and grape juice is actually believed the best combo with creatine.

Quick question- if youre taking creatine, are you supposed to avoid citric acid all the time? Here's my case: I take the stuff (creatine) 5x/week on maintenance periods (on training days), and in 2 days of those usually I still drink orange juice (boxed, not the sugar calorie-infested powdered ones), usually on my cheat meal days..am I rendering the creatine usuless, or worse, hurting myself this way? :huh:

Nope.  In fact, there was once a prpduct released called creatine citrate, and grape juice is actually believed the best combo with creatine.

right. apple and grape juice are the best complements to creatine (or at least the bottle says, in fine print, hahah), but arent they not citric acid- (for the purpose of the discussion, citric acid being that taken/derived from the citronella family (oranges, lemon, grapefruit?, dalanghita, ponkan, calamansi..LOL)

You worry too much. if that was the case, then orange and lime flavors would have not appeared in some creatine products.

right. apple and grape juice are the best complements to creatine (or at least the bottle says, in fine print, hahah), but arent they not citric acid- (for the purpose of the discussion, citric acid being that taken/derived from the citronella family (oranges, lemon, grapefruit?, dalanghita, ponkan, calamansi..LOL)

I will defer to the more experienced people here...

I've been weight training for more than a year. I lost a good amount of weight initially, but I gained some of it back because I had to skip the gym for a good 6 months because I broke my left arm in a non-training accident. Couldn't do proper cardio either because anything that rocked my body beat the s**t ou of my left arm.

I'm back in the gym, back with the flab, but not as much when I was not training at all. Losing some of it now I can feel but the weight is still up. Muscle? Hopefully....

Right now I'm using Xenadrine NRG 4 tabs a day. No side effects for me. Not like a friend of mine who got nosebleeds and palpitations from it. Anybody else with experience using NRG? Saw an ad for this other brand Thermogain, which is supposed to help you build muscle along with the thermogenic effect...anybody who has used this?

Inputs appreciated...thanks...

B)

it will still boil down to your diet. I know several people taking the best supplements money can buy but look and lift like crap since they aren't eating right. Get your diet in check and i'm sure you can do away with the fat burners. remember that the old timers had grat bodies without any supplements available.

I will defer to the more experienced people here...

I've been weight training for more than a year.  I lost a good amount of weight initially, but I gained some of it back because I had to skip the gym for a good 6 months because I broke my left arm in a non-training accident.  Couldn't do proper cardio either because anything that rocked my body beat the s**t ou of my left arm.

I'm back in the gym, back with the flab, but not as much when I was not training at all.  Losing some of it now I can feel but the weight is still up.  Muscle?  Hopefully....

Right now I'm using Xenadrine NRG 4 tabs a day.  No side effects for me.  Not like a friend of mine who got nosebleeds and palpitations from it.  Anybody else with experience using NRG?  Saw an ad for this other brand Thermogain, which is supposed to help you build muscle along with the thermogenic effect...anybody who has used this? 

Inputs appreciated...thanks...

B)

Im taking ripped fuel extreme right now and im working out 3x a week. On the insturctions it says that you should take 2 capsules a day pero diba american dosage yun?

My friend said that for asian standards i should always take half of what the recommended dosage says dahil nga american standards yun. I am currently taking just one capsule a day pero my body says i can take one more.

Should i follow my body or just the asian standards? Ayaw ko lang magsisi sa huli.

Get your diet clean first. Honestly, if your diet is good, you won't have to deal with these supplements. One capsule a day would work fine. Even if you take the prescribed dosage but your diet is crap, you'll never get the results.

Im taking ripped fuel extreme right now and im working out 3x a week. On the insturctions it says that you should take 2 capsules a day pero diba american dosage yun?

My friend said that for asian standards i should always take half of what the recommended dosage says dahil nga american standards yun. I am currently taking just one capsule a day pero my body says i can take one more.

Should i follow my body or just the asian standards? Ayaw ko lang magsisi sa huli.