• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Free Legal Advice

Butsoy

I have a question for our legal eagles out there.

Can a United States court subpoena data that is stored on a Philippine server?

Case in point: A company in the U.S. is providing data storage services to U.S. residents. Now the data itself is stored on a computer that is physically in the Philippines. Does a U.S. court have any jurisdiction over the data itself and if not, what would a U.S. court need to do to access the data?

US company needs to get a judgment from a US Court. Ang problema jan ay ang enforcement dito sa Pinas. You need to file an independent action for "enforcement of foreign judgment" sa trial court.

Ang novelty ng kaso na to ay yung nature ng "data". The computer which stores the data may be here physically, but how about getting the data electronically from the US? Pag kaya yung ganun, kung ako abogado na kano, ilalaban ko na yan. I mean its defensible.

Sirs, Question lang po...

A friend of mine is troubled. She loaned money from ChinaTrust, duration is 24 months. I think the total loaned money is around 36k. She was able to pay for the first installment, now a situation happened that led her to miss about 4 months up to now. Let's just say, she just gave birth last Nov and had not been reporting for work until Feb.

The problem is, she received a text message from someone claiming that she was from the bank and asking to settle a specified amount or they will be forced to forward her account to a law firm or their lawyer for legal actions. I advised her to call the number and ask if she could make payment arrangement to pay for the overdue installments by Feb since that's the time she will be reporting back to work. They declined the arrangement and is asking her to pay about only 5k before 25 this month, even after explaining the situation.

My question is, if it would result to legal proceedings what's the worse that could happen? Take note that my friend did not intentionally/maliciously opted not to pay her debt, its just because of the current situation that she is unable to do so. Does this constitute to imprisonment, since I believe that this would be against the constitution.

Thank You.

Constitution Article III Sec. 20 No person shall be imprisoned for debt or non-payment of poll tax.

even if it proceeds to litigation, she just has to promise to pay.

I think both are sound choices, however, if it were up to me, i would go with the second option because you are not left at the whim of the seller when he/she will work out the release of the title. Secondly, with the execution of the Absolute Deed of Sale, you are immediately cutting off any right/interest the seller may have on the property, hence, he/she can no longer go after the same should he/she change his mind. Just remember to ask for an SPA so that you could transact with the bank directly.

Thanks for the reply sir.

I have a followup question. There is another property, I am considering to acquire in case the first property mentioned earlier does not push through (the ownwe seems to be having second thoughts selling his property).

This second property is still titled in the name of elderly spouses Mr and Mrs Santos, Mrs Santos died five years ago, her estate hasn't been extra judicially settled. They have no children. Can Mr Santos sell the property to me by executing an Affidavit of Self adjudication with an Absolute Deed of Sale for the property?

smart has a promotion from dec 9 2008 to jan 15 2009 with dti permit as advertised in their website

their personnel violated the policy (it should have read promotion) by telling me there's no memory card in the nokia package i got

where as in their website, they claimed 1 gm micro sd card goes with the package

basically, the wrieless center employee lied about the micro sd card by claiming there was none

to further aggravate the matter, when i reported this to smart via email, another employee lied by claiming he was able to talk to me an expained to me that the memory card is just out of stock and i will be informed when it will become available

two smart employees lying

i really hated them

and it seemed smart is ignoring my demand for explanation how they will resolve this issue :thumbsdownsmiley:

i have returned the phone package and opted for terminating the retention program i signed

where do i file a complaint? dti? at smart directly to their head office? are they liable for not conforming with their published promotion?

Edited by xerxes
smart has a promotion from dec 9 2008 to jan 15 2009 with dti permit as advertised in their website

their personnel violated the policy by telling me there's no memory card in the nokia package i got

where as in their website, they claimed 1 gm micro sd card goes with the package

basically, the wrieless center employee lied about the micro sd card by claiming there was none

to further aggravate the matter, when i reported this to smart via email, another employee lied by claiming he was able to talk to me an expained to me that the memory card is just out of stock and i will be informed when it will become available

two smart employees lying

i really hated them

and it seemed smart is ignoring my demand for explanation how they will resolve this issue :thumbsdownsmiley:

i have returned the phone package and opted for terminating the retention program i signed

where do i file a complaint? dti? at smart directly to their head office? are they liable for not conforming with their published promotion?

If you are not given any satisfactory explanation by SMART, you can go the Department of Trade and Industry to file a complaint.

good afternoon po.

i would like to seek advice about training bond. i have been working for a year in this company as a programmer. when i was employed, i was asked to sign a training bond worth almost 100k. they have promised (verbally) a certification training but all i had is an in house training. now i was offered a good position in a large company but i cant pay the bond here.

please give me some idea on how legal are training bonds.

ask lng po mga attorneys:

We filed a complaint against someone to the police then to city hall. the proceedings took some time and it was finally decided by the fiscal that there is indeed a valid criminal complain thru a registered letter send to us from city hall.

May i know what is the next move? Will city hall be the one to file the case in court and subpoena us and the respondent? or do we need to get a lawyer to file the file case in court.

if the respondent is nowhere to be found coz she went into hiding, how do we go from there?

thanks in advance.

ask lng po mga attorneys:

We filed a complaint against someone to the police then to city hall. the proceedings took some time and it was finally decided by the fiscal that there is indeed a valid criminal complain thru a registered letter send to us from city hall.

May i know what is the next move? Will city hall be the one to file the case in court and subpoena us and the respondent? or do we need to get a lawyer to file the file case in court.

if the respondent is nowhere to be found coz she went into hiding, how do we go from there?

thanks in advance.

When you say city hall, i think you are referring to the prosecutor's office. Anyway, after the fiscal finds probable cause, they will file an information (criminal complaint) with the court having jurisdiction over the case. Afterwards, a warrant usually follows. The fiscal will be the one who will represent you but you may secure the services of a private counsel if you want. If the respondent is in hiding, you have to wait when he/she will be arrested. After the arrest, or when the court acquires jurisdiction over the accused, then you proceed to trial.

If you are not given any satisfactory explanation by SMART, you can go the Department of Trade and Industry to file a complaint.

i was simply told that the wireless center will provide me with the micvro sd once the stock becomes available

the two personnel simply called to say sorry,

dishonesty should not be tolerated by smart :thumbsdownsmiley:

Need your help Sirs...

Nine-years ago, my cousin married his wife unaware that his wife is still married to her first husband. To make it short, their marriage is invalid.

Now, my cousin wants their marriage be voided. I mean with complete legal documents and stuff.

What are the steps needed to be done?

Thanks in advance and more power to MTC.

Edited by stL
i was simply told that the wireless center will provide me with the micvro sd once the stock becomes available

the two personnel simply called to say sorry,

dishonesty should not be tolerated by smart :thumbsdownsmiley:

You can still go to the Consumer Complaint Department of the DTI because Smart apparently violated the terms of the promo by not giving you the micro sd card when you availed of it.

Constitution Article III Sec. 20 No person shall be imprisoned for debt or non-payment of poll tax.

even if it proceeds to litigation, she just has to promise to pay.

Mali ka dyan bro. kasi nde ka makaka loan sa banko without issuing PDC checks so ang kaso nyan is bouncing check. BP22 ata un hehe.. pero maliit na amount lang yan. payo ko is call the chinatrust bank. mabilis lang ayusin yan. explain mo lang side mo and start paying.. y i know it?? gnyan din ako hehe. dami ko na delayed tinakot pa nga ako ng banko na warrant of arrest. pero kausapin lang den ayus na lahat... no big deal. small amount lang kasi.. well i have to pay mins in the 10th kasi pangatlong buwan ko na delayed hehe..