Free Legal Advice

Butsoy

What has happened? Why has the niece suddenly decided to file a case for Rape after 15 years of living with his uncle? Unfortunately, the prescriptive period for Rape is 20 years. Moreover, Republic Act No. 8353 (the Anti-Rape Law of 1997) considers only a subsequent marriage between the man and the woman as the valid form of condonation of the crime. The failure of the woman to assert her claim for 15 years is a matter that the court will have to consider (laches - the failure to assert a claim for an unreasonable period of time), but there is no guarantee that it will be accepted as a valid defense. It will depend on the discretion of the judge and the explanation of the woman.

I think the Fiscal can file a case for Rape in court. It is sufficient for a woman to claim she was raped for a case to be filed. There is probable cause. Laches is an issue addressed to the judge, not the Fiscal. Medical evidence is only corroborative. It is not absolutely necessary for conviction. Accordingly, the testimony of the woman can stand on its own for conviction. Furthermore, you state that the accusation is actually true. I think there will be a trial and your friend will be arrested since Rape is a non-bailable offense. However, the question of whether he will be convicted is another matter....

i think its because she wanted money from my friend. You see, they are both foreigners. My friend is a legal alien while the woman isn't. This woman wanted to go back to her home country so she says ( i don't believe her). She was taken cared of by my friend and even his family at was treated as one of their own (his family didn't know of the incident only until last year).

This is what transpired over the last 3 weeks:

She stole my friend's papers last week (passport, ACR for immigration, etc.) So they(my friend and his family) filed a blotter for the police about the matter. After 3 days, here she comes to another police station with a complaint about the rape.

My friend was illegally arrested by some policemen from that station for interrogation. Good thing my friend has friends in high places. Within that day, they made an agreement with the victim that they will take care of her financial needs to be able to go back home, but still looked unsatisfied.

The next day, an immigration guy calls my friend's daughter and told her to meet up with him outside imigration office because he has a case against my friend. They agreed to meet up and surprisingly, my friend's niece was with him. After talking to him, we concluded that the immigration officer only wanted money from my friend (he wanted a cut from the woman's expected money).

My next question is this: Can an immigration officer handle criminal cases of a foreigner? Or is it the local police's job?

pls help me on this guys. I appreciate all the valuable tips i've gotten out of this thread.

Hi. I just wanna ask for your legal opinion regarding my situation. I've a kid born out wedlock. The thing is the guy doesn't provide support and in fact has sired another child by another woman that he left again. The girl(since we're friends now) told me to demand for support like what she did, but they only had an out of court settlement intead and the guy agreed to give 8k/month for their kid. (When i met him, i didn't know that he was married and had 1 kid with her wife).He had aknowledge their kid and that's where my problem lies, he never aknowledge my kid and i from what i know it would be easier for me to demand for support. I was also told i he denies the kid then DNA testing would be needed but he can't be compelled to do that, is that true? Is there anyway that we can have him sent to jail for violence againts women since he seems to have a nasty habit of getting women pregnant and leaving them like crap? What options do i have at this point? Thanks a lot in advance.

i think its because she wanted money from my friend. You see, they are both foreigners. My friend is a legal alien while the woman isn't. This woman wanted to go back to her home country so she says ( i don't believe her). She was taken cared of by my friend and even his family at was treated as one of their own (his family didn't know of the incident only until last year).

This is what transpired over the last 3 weeks:

She stole my friend's papers last week (passport, ACR for immigration, etc.) So they(my friend and his family) filed a blotter for the police about the matter. After 3 days, here she comes to another police station with a complaint about the rape.

My friend was illegally arrested by some policemen from that station for interrogation. Good thing my friend has friends in high places. Within that day, they made an agreement with the victim that they will take care of her financial needs to be able to go back home, but still looked unsatisfied.

The next day, an immigration guy calls my friend's daughter and told her to meet up with him outside imigration office because he has a case against my friend. They agreed to meet up and surprisingly, my friend's niece was with him. After talking to him, we concluded that the immigration officer only wanted money from my friend (he wanted a cut from the woman's expected money).

My next question is this: Can an immigration officer handle criminal cases of a foreigner? Or is it the local police's job?

pls help me on this guys. I appreciate all the valuable tips i've gotten out of this thread.

If this alleged rape took place in their own country, no Philippine court or agency would have jurisdiction over the alleged crime, so he cannot be charged and tried here.

If the alleged rape took place within the Philippines, this is a job of the police. The police can assist the woman in filing a complaint with the Fiscal's Office. The immigration officer has no business interfering. Criminal cases are outside his jurisdiction. If there is indeed a case filed against your friend before the Bureau of Immigration, wait for the subpoena. If there is an attempt to extort money, arrange an entrapment operation before the NBI or the police. Your friend can also try to gain leverage by reporting the woman as an illegal alien to the Bureau of Immigration. If she is deported, there is no case.

Hi. I just wanna ask for your legal opinion regarding my situation. I've a kid born out wedlock. The thing is the guy doesn't provide support and in fact has sired another child by another woman that he left again. The girl(since we're friends now) told me to demand for support like what she did, but they only had an out of court settlement intead and the guy agreed to give 8k/month for their kid. (When i met him, i didn't know that he was married and had 1 kid with her wife).He had aknowledge their kid and that's where my problem lies, he never aknowledge my kid and i from what i know it would be easier for me to demand for support. I was also told i he denies the kid then DNA testing would be needed but he can't be compelled to do that, is that true? Is there anyway that we can have him sent to jail for violence againts women since he seems to have a nasty habit of getting women pregnant and leaving them like crap? What options do i have at this point? Thanks a lot in advance.

File a civil case for acknowledgment of paternity and support in court. The court has the power to order DNA tests. If you have any photos or letters from the guy where it seems that he acknowledges that your child is his, you can use that. At this point, criminal cases for Violation of Republic Act No. 9262 (Violence against Women and their Children) as well as for Republic Act No. 7610 (child abuse) are premature.

Let me cite the recent case of Manny Paquiao. A woman filed last year a criminal case against Paquiao before the Fiscal's Office for Violation of Republic Act No. 9262. The woman claims that Paquiao failed to support her and their alleged love child. The complaint was dismissed for Paquiao denied that the child is his. Moreover, the Fiscal did not have the power to order DNA tests. The complainant was advised to first go to court and file a case for acknowledgment and support.

Edited by mlpf
File a civil case for acknowledgment of paternity and support in court. The court has the power to order DNA tests. If you have any photos or letters from the guy where it seems that he acknowledges that your child is his, you can use that. At this point, criminal cases for Violation of Republic Act No. 9262 (Violence against Women and their Children) as well as for Republic Act No. 7610 (child abuse) are premature.

Let me cite the recent case of Manny Paquiao. A woman filed last year a criminal case against Paquiao before the Fiscal's Office for Violation of Republic Act No. 9262. The woman claims that Paquiao failed to support her and their alleged love child. The complaint was dismissed for Paquiao denied that the child is his. Moreover, the Fiscal did not have the power to order DNA tests. The complainant was advised to first go to court and file a case for acknowledgment and support.

Thanks for the advice. I don't have any written document or photos showing that he's owning the kid. Although, the last woman she lived with knows for a fact the kid's his. He even said that he will never sign any paper to acknowledge the kid. Where should the case be filed?

Thanks for the advice. I don't have any written document or photos showing that he's owning the kid. Although, the last woman she lived with knows for a fact the kid's his. He even said that he will never sign any paper to acknowledge the kid. Where should the case be filed?

File the case at the Regional Trial Court (Family Court). You have two options: file at the court of the city where you reside or where the guy resides.

If the alleged rape took place within the Philippines, this is a job of the police. The police can assist the woman in filing a complaint with the Fiscal's Office. The immigration officer has no business interfering. Criminal cases are outside his jurisdiction. If there is indeed a case filed against your friend before the Bureau of Immigration, wait for the subpoena. If there is an attempt to extort money, arrange an entrapment operation before the NBI or the police. Your friend can also try to gain leverage by reporting the woman as an illegal alien to the Bureau of Immigration. If she is deported, there is no case.

Thanx for the help. My friend will certainly like this

I think there are some differences between bonuses and incentives but, as a whole, they are similar and used interchangeably. Contracts can always be challenged in court but it may be an uphill battle since you agreed to its provisions when you signed it and courts will not easily allow you to set that aside.

thanks dude...

Does his former live-in's testimony would stand in court?

[/

The testimony of the live-in partner cannot be used as proof of filiation or paternity. At most it can be considered as hearsay and will not be allowed in court. At best, a DNA test can be requested through the courts and this will be definite proof of paternity.

I do suggest that you also fight to have your child acknowledged as his illegitimate son. At least he would gain the right to inherit from the father as well as the right to support.

Good luck.

sup guys?

i wanna ask about a friend's problem:

He is being accused of rape by his niece (now 30 years old) and said it happened more or less 15 years ago, but still stayed with him until just last month. So my friend practically shouldered all that his niece needed to live. She was not maltreated in anyway by his family but was treated as one of them. Considering this accusation is true, what are the odds of my friend getting put behind bars? The woman has had already been with a boyfriend, probably also engaging in sexual activities. I need you professional opinion please help me out here. Thanks a lot guys

Sorry if the reply is belated. It will be very hard to prove the rape. Let the woman sue. Counter-sue for perjury if she files a case. Chances are, all evidences would be been lost by the lapse of such time. Thus, you can tell the fiscal that the woman is merely lying or filing a harassment or vengeance suit against you. For that reason, you may sue for perjury because, from all angles, the story of the woman is really hard to believe.

By the way, why do you say that "considering this accusation is true"?

In any case, it would also be very hard to convince the judge that the accused is guilty beyond reasonable doubt, given the length of time of filing, the age of the alleged victim, etc.

Assuming for the sake of argument that the accusation is true, since the alleged crime took place 15 years ago (1993) applicable law is NOT the current Anti-Rape Law of 1997 but the original provisions of the revised penal code on rape (which considers rape as a crime against chastity and hence provisions on pardon or forgiveness by the offended party still applicable).

Therefore, it may be argued that given the length of time and the fact that the offended party stayed with the alleged offender and even allowed the latter to provide for her welfare and needs, pardon and forgiveness have clearly set in. If she had not pardoned the offender, then she would have merely left the house and reported the matter to the authorities.

This pardon or forgiveness would effectively BAR the filing of the criminal case for rape.

Best case -- consult a lawyer....

Good luck and tell him not to worry

Assuming for the sake of argument that the accusation is true, since the alleged crime took place 15 years ago (1993) applicable law is NOT the current Anti-Rape Law of 1997 but the original provisions of the revised penal code on rape (which considers rape as a crime against chastity and hence provisions on pardon or forgiveness by the offended party still applicable).

Therefore, it may be argued that given the length of time and the fact that the offended party stayed with the alleged offender and even allowed the latter to provide for her welfare and needs, pardon and forgiveness have clearly set in. If she had not pardoned the offender, then she would have merely left the house and reported the matter to the authorities.

This pardon or forgiveness would effectively BAR the filing of the criminal case for rape.

I stand corrected. The applicable provision is not Republic Act No. 8353, but Article 344 of the Revised Penal Code.

Article 344 provides for the extinction of criminal liability in private crimes. It mentions two modes: pardon and marriage, which when validly and timely made, result in the total extinction of criminal liability of the offender. The pardon in private crimes must be made before the institution of the criminal action. In adultery and concubinage, the pardon may be express or implied while in seduction, abduction, rape and acts of lasciviousness, the pardon must be express. In all cases, the pardon must come prior to the institution of the criminal action. After the case has been filed in court, any pardon made by the private complainant, whether by sworn statement or on the witness stand, cannot extinguish criminal liability. The only act that extinguishes the penal action and the penalty that may have been imposed is the marriage between the offender and the offended party (Alonte v. Savellano, G.R. No. 131652 March 9, 1998).

I maintain that the filing of a Rape case is not barred since the pardon in this case is only implied. Only an "affidavit of desistance" can be considered as an express pardon. It is the discretion of the Fiscal to file a case since his mandate is only to determine probable cause. He may file despite the long delay or he may dismiss since the long delay in filing a case, if not properly explained, affects her credibility.

Hello !

Can anybody in here help me ? I need a document for the sale of my computer shop medyo rush kase puwede po b maka hinge ng sample or for this purpose. salamat :thumbsupsmiley:

Hello !

Can anybody in here help me ? I need a document for the sale of my computer shop medyo rush kase puwede po b maka hinge ng sample or for this purpose. salamat :thumbsupsmiley:

To all MTC LAWYERS AND WEBSITE DEVELOPER

I was entered into contract last February of this year 2007 regarding website development

ang sabi ko sa sales executive is gusto kong magpagawa ng website na katulad ng jobsDB and jobstreet.com

after ng few days na negotiation i entered into this kind of contract

1. TECHNICAL SERVICES - the service provider will provide the client with the following technical services subject to the following terms and condition:

1.1 Setup and subscription to the WebJobSearch website system with features and demoed in ________.net

Subscription to the WebJobSearch Site covers the use of the site, itsfeatures and the contents Management system for the duration of the service agreement. Service subscription does not cover ownership of the site programs and system. Project scope does not include the set-up of an on-line payment facility

between no. 2 and no. 4 is not really important

and then here is the no.5

5. CHARGES AND PAYMENT TERMS - For and in consideration of the services to be rendered by the service provider, the client agrees to pay the following charges:

5.1 Development Fee equivalent to FIFTY SIX THOUSAND ONE HUNDRED FIFTY PESOS ( P56,150 ) plus VAT

HERE IS MY QUESTION

1. After ng expiration ng contract namin ng web developer at fully paid ako for monthly subscription na P10,500

pwede ko na bang makuha at mailipat ko sa iba ang hosting ng website ko?

2. Meron bang kontrata ang mga web developer na after 1 year at ayaw ng magpahosting sa kanila ay hindi nila ibibigay ang website sa mismong nagpagawa nito?

3. Sa mga web developer - me kontrata ba na pag me nagpagawa sa inyo ng website at pina hosting sa inyo ... after 1 year sasabihin nyo na sa inyo ang website at hindi sa nagpagawa?

Please i need reply

well.. i am not a lawyer, but i handle this things with regards to our IT matters.. as it clearly states in your contract Service subscription does not cover ownership of the site programs and system means you cant own it and have it hosted by another host.

as for the contract for a different host or ownership of the development... during the drafting of the contract.. you should have clearly stated the direction of the developments... like, if this site is being developed wherein after completion of the development all legal rights, copyright and IP rights are transferred to you or your company.. this will make anything developed for you, your own. secondly.. if you have included in the drafting the feasibility that it will be only hosted for 1 year by them to which afterwards you have the right to assign a new hosting company... and lastly... since development yan... part of owning the developed site is the assurance that it can be ported out to any other hosting site.. this will make sure that the developed site will be yours after development, and you will have your own choice of hosting company and that the site will function properly on another site...

dagdag mo na lang is maintenance and modification after 1 year.

May question po ako:

Last december bumili ako ng watch sa TIMEX sale sya kc maganda para sakin at 50% off. unfortunately nagka deffect sya after 4 months, since under warranty sya binalik ko sa drop store nila para ma repair/replacement. Wala na daw parts kaya subject for replacement na. PROBLEM: Kung wla ng same model ang sabi nila ang replacement daw ay yung same price nya kung magkano ko nabili. QUESTION: pano kung di ko gusto o di kasing ganda yung available pang replace nila PEDE KO BANG BAWIIN yung bayad ko? NO REFUND ba pag ganon?

THANKS PO.

any query about legal problems...? wag kang mahiya.. free legal advise ni Butsoy...

[/quote

Bro, need ur help on inheritance issue. Erpat ko namatay sa states last Jan 11, meron sya naiwan na properties dito pinas, nakapangalan sa stepmom ko pero kasal erpat ko ke ermat. Sa death cert ni erpat nakalagay na wife nya stepmom ko. Some of the properties under her maiden name(stepmom) ung iba naman sa kanya pa rin using my dad's surname. Got documents like cenomar na isa lang marriage erpat( that is with my mom). Plano sana namin maghabol sa properties nya. These are my questions:

1. I heard na pag naghabol it should be no less than 6 months from death. Tama ba to?

2. Anu documents kelangan para ma file sa court ung demanda.

Tnx bro. Ur reply will be of great help.

I dont know where to put this ... anyway..

This is regarding traffic rules in qc

I was from gilmore going to EDSA so after crossing EDSA -Aurora Blvd. intersection. I made a U-turn at the first intersection after edsa - aurora blvd. intersection so that I can turn right again to head north (going to sm north). Suddenly right after I made a u - turn, qc cops stopped me and told me I can't make a u - turn because its a central island. This is the first time I was given a violation of not following traffic signs when there isn't even a no U turn traffic sign.

Is there a rule to this? Can i contest this to a LTO judge that there is no sign for me to disobey?

I'm ignorant regarding traffic rules and regulations. I just follow the signs. If it says no left turn, no right turn, no u turn then i wont do the said turns. Ill try to upload a map locating where I was stopped.

Bro, need ur help on inheritance issue. Erpat ko namatay sa states last Jan 11, meron sya naiwan na properties dito pinas, nakapangalan sa stepmom ko pero kasal erpat ko ke ermat. Sa death cert ni erpat nakalagay na wife nya stepmom ko. Some of the properties under her maiden name(stepmom) ung iba naman sa kanya pa rin using my dad's surname. Got documents like cenomar na isa lang marriage erpat( that is with my mom). Plano sana namin maghabol sa properties nya. These are my questions:

1. I heard na pag naghabol it should be no less than 6 months from death. Tama ba to?

Hi,

What exactly do you mean by "pag naghabol"? Are you referring to initiating a probate proceeding to have the properties divided among the heirs or filing a case against your step-mom?

In reply to #1 - An action for partition of the estate does not prescribe. There is no time limit. Your father's estate should be divided only between you and your mother in the absence of a will. The six month period, correct me if i'm wrong cause i'm not a tax lawyer, pertains to filing of estate taxes (or some other period). It does NOT pertain to any time limit to filing an action for settlement of estate.

In reply to #2 - consult a lawyer, you need to file an action for settlement of the estate; have your self appointed as administrator. if you have siblings, your siblings and your mother are entitled to equal shares. if your don't have siblings, you and your mother are entitled to one half each.

under the law, your father cannot give any gifts to your step mom because these are prohibited donations (considering that your father was still legally married to your mother at the time your late father was with your step mom).

initially, you will need a copy of your father's death certificate, copies of land titles under your father's name or your step mom's name, title to property (car, etc.), and your father's marriage certificate. you must asses the entire breadth of your father's estate.

thereafter, consult a lawyer. :-)

hope this helps.

Edited by legalavatar
I dont know where to put this ... anyway..

This is regarding traffic rules in qc

I was from gilmore going to EDSA so after crossing EDSA -Aurora Blvd. intersection. I made a U-turn at the first intersection after edsa - aurora blvd. intersection so that I can turn right again to head north (going to sm north). Suddenly right after I made a u - turn, qc cops stopped me and told me I can't make a u - turn because its a central island. This is the first time I was given a violation of not following traffic signs when there isn't even a no U turn traffic sign.

Is there a rule to this? Can i contest this to a LTO judge that there is no sign for me to disobey?

I'm ignorant regarding traffic rules and regulations. I just follow the signs. If it says no left turn, no right turn, no u turn then i wont do the said turns. Ill try to upload a map locating where I was stopped.

I think it is fitting to quote this maxim "Nullum crimen, nulla poena sine lege" (There is no crime if there is no law which punishes the act). Thus, the rule in ALL cases (including traffic) is as follows:

THE RULE: In the absence of a prohibition, feel free to execute.

Are you sure that there wasn't any "no U-turn" signs? Kung wala, bring your cam phone, take pictures of the area where you were apprehended, and file an admin case against the cops.

cops cannot just say "bawal yan" in the absence of visible and legal traffic sign. they always get a lengthy sermon from me if cops tend to impose something they claim is prohibited when no such prohibition (rule/traffic sign exist).

Fight for principle dude.

I think it is fitting to quote this maxim "Nullum crimen, nulla poena sine lege" (There is no crime if there is no law which punishes the act). Thus, the rule in ALL cases (including traffic) is as follows:

THE RULE: In the absence of a prohibition, feel free to execute.

Are you sure that there wasn't any "no U-turn" signs? Kung wala, bring your cam phone, take pictures of the area where you were apprehended, and file an admin case against the cops.

cops cannot just say "bawal yan" in the absence of visible and legal traffic sign. they always get a lengthy sermon from me if cops tend to impose something they claim is prohibited when no such prohibition (rule/traffic sign exist).

Fight for principle dude.

Not that policemens or MMDAs are giving me any trouble but in regard of the absence of a prohibition, feel free to execute rule.

What about those traffic sign which is either intentionally or unintentionally place of area where a motorist has very least chance of visual contact?

Or traffic lights that is block by branches of trees? Is there law or laws that provide guidelines for placement of such signs?

By the way, does traffic violation makes you are criminal? How about driving without license or a expire license?

Sorry for so many traffic related questions.

And thank you in advance for the enlightenment.

Hi, I was involved in a car crash resulting to damage to my car and the car that bumped me. We never got resolved since the other driver (na aminadong may kasalanan) only wants to pay a fixed amount while I'm pushing to him to pay more (to make things clear, the amount I was asking was only 60% of the repair costs while he wanted to pay only about 30% of the repair costs). Sinabi nia din na sia na lang daw magpapagawa pero sa mekaniko nia. I humored him and went to his mechanic. But the mechanic wanted me to just accept the amount the other driver was offering. He said "Kaya yan gawin (sa amount na offered)". So sabi ko, e di gawin mo. Gusto naman ng mekaniko na iwan ko yung buong kotse for a week! Ayaw nia kalasin yung bumper dahil lalaki daw labor! Sabi ko hindi pwede dahil ginagamit ko ang sasakyan. Bandang huli, sinabi sa kin ng mekaniko, kasuhan ko na lang. I asked the other driver ulit and he still wont budge. So I asked him to return with me sa police but he refused na sumama na. And said, kasuhan mo na lang ako. So I did. Pagdating ng hearing (hindi dumating yung other driver) the state prosecutor asked me to file a supplementary affidavit/statement kasi parang kulang daw yung nakalagay sa statement ko.

Question:

1. What will happen to this case if it goes on?

2. Bakit parang ang dating sa kin ng mga pulis at prosecutor eh parang gusto nilang kalimutan ko na lang angnangyari?

3. What will happen if no appearance pa din yung other driver sa mga susunod?

4. May pag-asa ba ko manalo knowing na parang gusto ng prosecutor na bitawan ko na lang?

5. Anong mangyayari pag nanalo ako upon resolution?

Request for help/advice:

1. Baka naman po mayroong may format ng supplementary affidavit/statement po jan na pwede kong masundan ang format...

2. Any other advice?