Free Legal Advice

Butsoy

Have a Q

I have this file from a bad quality scratched dvd disc that I want to transfer to my pc

Problem is after a few seconds of copying from dvd to hard drive it just stays at 30 seconds tas pataas ng pataas to 1 minute eh 50 mb lang un..

So I just click on the dvd writer drive habang may ilaw pa siya dilikado ba yun baka masira ung drive ko?

:cry:

Have a Q

I have this file from a bad quality scratched dvd disc that I want to transfer to my pc

Problem is after a few seconds of copying from dvd to hard drive it just stays at 30 seconds tas pataas ng pataas to 1 minute eh 50 mb lang un..

So I just click on the dvd writer drive habang may ilaw pa siya dilikado ba yun baka masira ung drive ko?

:cry:

It's ok bro it doesn't harm your drive, in some cases it adds scratches to your disc because sometimes when it hangs while reading then you immediately eject the disc you may see the disc still turning while the tray is going out. about the problem you encountered, it's normal for copying process to hang or stop at a certain point especially copying files from low-quality discs, mainly because the drive is having a hard time reading the disc itself because of scratches or the disc quality itself. :cool:

Happy Holidays to Everyone!

I would like to ask for help regarding a little problem

A little background first:

My mom died when I was in 3rd year highschool. A few years after that, my father remarried and had a son with my stepmom. They have a house of their own while I am living alone in the house that my mom and my dad built for us.

Now, recently, I overheard a conversation between my stepmom and my dad, in which I heard that my stepmom is planning to sell/pawn the house I'm currently living in. I overheard her citing something along the lines of "..conjugal property, so whats half of yours is mine as well.." Of course, I can not allow that to happen. What are my options?

> The title of the house and lot is in my dad's name. I would like to maybe transfer the title to my own name so that it will forever be safe from my stepmom's evil clutches. How would I go do that and how much would I be expected to spend?

> Supposing she had already coerced my dad to pawn the house, would I have any options to retake the title from the pawnshop since it wasn't hers in the first place?

Thank you very much everyone.

i have a problem w/ my mobo... i only have 2 slots for memory.. is there a hardware that can function as additional slots?

i dont think there is such a device pre...

why dont you try upgrading your memory by replacing the current ones that you have?

i do have a question of my own.

my win xp reboots upon startup. when i disable the option 'automatically reboot on system failure' when i press F8, it works and i get an error log:

C:\DOCUME~1\Intel\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER6331.dir00\Mini122506-01.dmp

C:\DOCUME~1\Intel\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER6331.dir00\sysdata.xml

these are temporary files. any idea what might cause this?

Edited by heartbreak18

am planning to buy new laptop.

which is better - XP Pro or XP Media? dual core or non dual core processor?

i saw toshiba satellite U205-S5022, eto features nya : intel core duo processor, XP Pro OS, 1.83GHz, 1GBmemory, 120GB hard, 12.1in WXGA, 8xDVD+/-RW. what do you think. what other useful hi tech features can you suggest? what brands have built-in videocam. which brands have internet card USB slot?

assistance much appreciated guys.

i have a problem w/ my mobo... i only have 2 slots for memory.. is there a hardware that can function as additional slots?

sa pagkaka alam ko, walang expansion card to increase the number of memory slots.

im afraid pareng 'heartbreak18' was correct when he said "find a new mobo"

i dont think there is such a device pre...

why dont you try upgrading your memory by replacing the current ones that you have?

i do have a question of my own.

my win xp reboots upon startup. when i disable the option 'automatically reboot on system failure' when i press F8, it works and i get an error log:

C:\DOCUME~1\Intel\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER6331.dir00\Mini122506-01.dmp

C:\DOCUME~1\Intel\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER6331.dir00\sysdata.xml

these are temporary files. any idea what might cause this?

baka corrupted ung mga files na yun bro, try running CHKDSK /R.

Hello po!

I switched on my laptop kanina and was confronted by: "Fixed Disk Parameter Table or BIOS error. System Halted" error message on a black screen.

Nag-power-off ako twice, ganun pa rin.

Patulong naman po. Pano ba 'to?

try mong mag power cycle. nga pala anong laptop to bro? Dell? Compaq? or Acer? details pa. ;)

i saw toshiba satellite U205-S5022, eto features nya : intel core duo processor, XP Pro OS, 1.83GHz, 1GBmemory, 120GB hard, 12.1in WXGA, 8xDVD+/-RW. what do you think. what other useful hi tech features can you suggest? what brands have built-in videocam. which brands have internet card USB slot?

anong purpose? kung plain usage lang like surfing the net etc... pro ka nlng.

kung for media purposes ka naman like watching DVDs, TV from the PC Media Center ka. HTH

Happy Holidays to Everyone!

I would like to ask for help regarding a little problem

A little background first:

My mom died when I was in 3rd year highschool. A few years after that, my father remarried and had a son with my stepmom. They have a house of their own while I am living alone in the house that my mom and my dad built for us.

Now, recently, I overheard a conversation between my stepmom and my dad, in which I heard that my stepmom is planning to sell/pawn the house I'm currently living in. I overheard her citing something along the lines of "..conjugal property, so whats half of yours is mine as well.." Of course, I can not allow that to happen. What are my options?

> The title of the house and lot is in my dad's name. I would like to maybe transfer the title to my own name so that it will forever be safe from my stepmom's evil clutches. How would I go do that and how much would I be expected to spend?

> Supposing she had already coerced my dad to pawn the house, would I have any options to retake the title from the pawnshop since it wasn't hers in the first place?

Thank you very much everyone.

There are incomplete facts in your story that would render any legal advice likewise incomplete. One is the year of your parents' marriage (before or after August of 1988?) that would dictate if the house is conjugal property (if earned within the marriage under the Civil Code) or paraphernal property (if your Dad inherited the house from his parents, likewise under the the Civil Code) or community property under the Family Code (which governs marriage property regimes after August 1988).

In any case, unless it was inherited by your Dad as paraphernal property (which means it is solely his), your Dad should have settled your late mother's estate making you co-owner of the house and lot. If he did not settle this after your mom's death, the law dictates that the marriage regime of your step mom and your dad will be one of separate properties. Meaning she should have no claim over what your mom and dad once had.

It is very hard to transfer the title of the house straight to you, unless your father settles your mother's part to you (again I am supposing this property is either conjugal or community) and donates his part to you. At any rate, a huge amount of taxes would be paid to effect transfer.

It is better to talk to your Father about your concerns, because all other actions would entail either adversarial legal work, meaning suing him and your step mom, or at the very least pissing him off. One way of making people shy away from lending against your house is to make an Affidavit of Adverse Claim which you can submit to the Registry of Deeds. Though it only has a life of 30 days, it will give lenders notice that your Dad does not solely own the house. The Adverse Claim likewise needs court action to be removed (unless the one who filed the Adverse Claim submits another affidavit allowing its removal)

Land cannot be pawned in a legal sense because it is not a movable object, however it can be mortgaged. To perfect the mortgage against other people, it must be inscribed as an annotation in the back of the title. You can check this in the Registry of Deeds in your city if you have a photcopy or a Title Number.

You may be able to break the mortgage, but it will be again adversarial. This can be made by making a formal demand against the lenders which will put them on notice about the problem. In the worse case, you may have to sue. So, my advise please talk to your Dad first.

Hope this helps.

Just to answer your questions: Both XP versions are great but XP Pro has a little edge, Dual Core is better, Nowadays almost all new model laptops come with built-in webcam, as far as i know ACER has a wide variety of laptop models with webcam to choose from, for the other features, you might want to consider looking for a laptop with built-in 5-in-1 card reader-writer to accommodate your videocam, digicam and phone memory cards. Integrated wireless LAN and Bluetooth are common features too :cool:

If you realy want to buy a laptop, I suggest you wait until Feb or March next year because Win Vista OS will be released to the public on 30th Jan 2007. Win Vista is by far better than all windows OS based on benchmark results. if you could wait until next year you can go for Win Vista Ultimate Edition which is the best of all the Vista versions and at the same time you can be sure that your laptop components have the proper drivers to run on Vista :cool:

Best way to answer this would be to ask you what are you going to use the laptop for? You might buy yeah a very high end high tech laptop but you may not be able to really use it or maximize its use. If for simple office use, you may opt for an ordinary processor since dual core ones are quite pricy as of the moment.

_Pabling, ssirn2000, David Aames,

guys thanks so much for replies. i learned so much. i think i can wait for the new OS (Win Vista, btw, is this MS or LINUX type?). as far as to question on what i will use it for, the reply is for everything. i want my laptop to be versatile. it may be expensive at start but cheaper in long term since i need not upgrade or buy another laptop to fit into other usage. i also don't want the heavy and/or bulky ones (13.3in screen i think is max) but not also too small. definitely, i wish to watch DVDs in my laptop. the webcam i need for chats, i also want to be able to play games on it, as well as surf wherever whenever at high speed.

right now, i am enticed with the ACER that was mentioned, since i really prefer built-in webcams.

_Pabling, ssirn2000, David Aames,

guys thanks so much for replies. i learned so much. i think i can wait for the new OS (Win Vista, btw, is this MS or LINUX type?). as far as to question on what i will use it for, the reply is for everything. i want my laptop to be versatile. it may be expensive at start but cheaper in long term since i need not upgrade or buy another laptop to fit into other usage. i also don't want the heavy and/or bulky ones (13.3in screen i think is max) but not also too small. definitely, i wish to watch DVDs in my laptop. the webcam i need for chats, i also want to be able to play games on it, as well as surf wherever whenever at high speed.

right now, i am enticed with the ACER that was mentioned, since i really prefer built-in webcams.

IMHO Vista is an overkill. It eats up too much resources plus it still has a lot of bugs. :hypocritesmiley:

Guest djunya2006

I apologize if this question is not within the realm of your topic, kaya I did not find any thread for this. Could anyone recommend a web designer? I have an in-law who is interested in setting one up for their business. I appreciate your attention. Again sorry, and I wish everyone a very Happy New Year. :mtc:

Hello all.

It's been a while since I posted on this thread, hope somebody could enlighten me on this...

Is there anyway one can check if there's a pending warrant of arrest / criminal or civil case filed against him/her?

A good friend of mine is currently overseas, he left a couple of bank debts back in PH last year and is wondering if he'll get into any trouble if he gets back. On a side note, he said in good faith, he would settle his obligations when he's ready, he was just discouraged by the harassments thus cut-off of communciation to the banks... now he's wondering if those institutions actually sued him...

I suggested he hire an attorney prior to visiting manila to do the check for him, Im not 100% confident with the my advice though..

Are there any lawyers out there who provide this kind of service?

Thanks!

Hello po....

I'd like to ask lang po in behalf of my friend, my friend have a debt sa bank, personal loan po, medyo ilang months na sya overdue kasi sabi nya may financial problem lang sya pero he's willing to settle it little by little.

One day, he received a WRITTEN COMPLAINT WITH PRELIMINARY ATTACHMENT. tapos may nakalagay na sa civil case number sa letter. His trying to seek kindness if the law office to grant him a little time to settle even partial payment.

But, the person he spoke told him na nai-file na daw sa rtc ang civil case nya.

Question ko po:

Is there any way na mai-pull out pa yung written complaint with preliminary attachment na may civil case number?

Pag may nakalagay na po bang number ng civil case, does it mean na-file na talaga sa court?

Does it mean it's already subpoena?

Based po sa na-received nya, wala pa naman docs stamp yun, so it means na di po naipa-file pa yun?

Pwede ba syang hulihin at kunin ang mga gamit nya using that complaint?

help naman nyo po ang friend ko. Thanks in advance.

Hello po....

I'd like to ask lang po in behalf of my friend, my friend have a debt sa bank, personal loan po, medyo ilang months na sya overdue kasi sabi nya may financial problem lang sya pero he's willing to settle it little by little.

One day, he received a WRITTEN COMPLAINT WITH PRELIMINARY ATTACHMENT. tapos may nakalagay na sa civil case number sa letter. His trying to seek kindness if the law office to grant him a little time to settle even partial payment.

But, the person he spoke told him na nai-file na daw sa rtc ang civil case nya.

Question ko po:

Is there any way na mai-pull out pa yung written complaint with preliminary attachment na may civil case number?

Pag may nakalagay na po bang number ng civil case, does it mean na-file na talaga sa court?

Does it mean it's already subpoena?

Based po sa na-received nya, wala pa naman docs stamp yun, so it means na di po naipa-file pa yun?

Pwede ba syang hulihin at kunin ang mga gamit nya using that complaint?

help naman nyo po ang friend ko. Thanks in advance.

hello,

eto lang advice ko sa iyong friend.

1. check nyo muna kung talagang me kaso. in my practice, maramin na akong nakitang ganyan na bogus complaint, panakot lang. check mo kung me summons from the court itself. why? because the court itself ang magpapadala ng kopya ng complaint and require the person to answer it. not the law office na nag-file (kung yung letter galing sa isang collecting agency at hindi galing sa korte, wala pang kaso talaga yan).

MAG INGAT SA MGA PANANAKOT NG MGA COLLECTING FIRMS.

2. kung talagang me kaso nga, get a lawyer to protect your interests, lalo na sa preliminary attachment. the lawyer will tell you what to do. wag hayaan na umusad yung kaso na walang ginagawa.

3. pwede yan ma-withdraw. the plaintiff itself can file a motion to withdraw the complaint, or pwede magkaroon ng settlement sa mediation or pwede magkaroon ng compromise agreement na i-aaprove ng koret.

4. no, hindi sya pwedeng ikulong. however, pwede makuha yung mga gamit nya in case matalo sya sa kaso. at kung talagang me preliminary attachment, meron mga properties nya na kukunin. so again, its best to get a lawyer.

IMHO Vista is an overkill. It eats up too much resources plus it still has a lot of bugs. :hypocritesmiley:

This is also the same thing people said before Win XP was released, but look at XP now, it turned to be a common standard OS nowadays whether you use your PC for business, mainframe or just simple home use for playing pacman and even older games. We must face the truth that technology is fast evolving to change how we do our daily routines. You might say it's an overkill at the moment but whether you like it or not all upcoming technologies will be designed to run on Win Vista for these manufacturers and programmers to earn profit and continue with their business just like what they did from Win 98 - ME - XP. i'm not opposing you just for the sake of argument but my point is Technology is fast evolving and these technologies are being developed to cope up with every man's needs when they use these machines. So why limit yourself with the current technology if you can afford to buy the upcoming new ones, after all it's where we're all heading to. Peace bro :cool:

Hello all.

It's been a while since I posted on this thread, hope somebody could enlighten me on this...

Is there anyway one can check if there's a pending warrant of arrest / criminal or civil case filed against him/her?

A good friend of mine is currently overseas, he left a couple of bank debts back in PH last year and is wondering if he'll get into any trouble if he gets back. On a side note, he said in good faith, he would settle his obligations when he's ready, he was just discouraged by the harassments thus cut-off of communciation to the banks... now he's wondering if those institutions actually sued him...

I suggested he hire an attorney prior to visiting manila to do the check for him, Im not 100% confident with the my advice though..

Are there any lawyers out there who provide this kind of service?

Thanks!

Unless the bank debts were incurred in the province, I suggest your friend have his name checked in the major Regional Trial Courts like Makati (where most of the banks have their mother office), Pasig, Quezon City and Paranaque.

Generally debts are civil in nature, specially if they are credit card debts(I surmise this by the harassment factor your friend is getting). One possiblity of getting a criminal complaint is when your friend issues a bad check. So ask your friend if he issued any, otherwise, it would be hard to fathom why there is a criminal case hence necessitating a warrant.

Your advice is very sound, and indeed there are law firms who do this kind of stuff.

Jopoc's observation is very true, collection agencies can get very desperate by doing sly stuff to get their debtors to pay. Among others, they threaten a debtor with a criminal suit, which inappropriate given the nature of the problem. Unfortunately for Creditor banks, most of the debts are civil in nature and therefore will not merit the criminal case and the warrants that they bring. Worse, the debts are below the 100,000 pesos threshold which would not be worth one's day in court. A civil case runs into at least P 200,000 pesos under today's legal fees, so these guys resort to weird stuff. I'm not encouraging anyone to be a deadbeat (or balasubas in our language) because it makes the cost of credit, which we all pay, very high. But these are the facts of life my friends. :zorro: