What have You Learned Lately?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

heto natutunan ko lately... na medyo delikado na ang sitwasyon ng mundo natin

Antarctica Melt Will Lead to Sea Level Rise

LINK: http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/?id=5163

Just a few years ago, it was theorized that Antarctic continental ice might begin to melt significantly by the end of this century. It has just been discovered that massive, unexpected melt is taking place right now. Satellite measurements show that the Antarctic is losing over 70 cubic miles of ice per year, enough to cause the salinity of the southern ocean to drop dramatically, resulting in even more warming and melt. The melting of the Antarctic would raise world sea levels by a hundred and twenty feet. Even the melting of 25% of the land-based ice would cause a six foot sea level increase, devastating low lying areas worldwide, and rendering cities as diverse as New York, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, London and many others all but unlivable.

Robert Roy Britt writes in LiveScience.com that Antarctica, which is twice the size of Australia, is losing some 36 cubic miles of ice every year. The South Pole has 90% of the Earth’s ice and 70% of its fresh water. An ice sheet a mile thick covers 98% percent of the continent.

In bbcnews, Richard Black reports that this data is coming from a pair of satellites known as Grace, which orbit the Earth together, measuring changes in the gravitational field. When they fly over areas where the crust is thick (such as mountains), they register a tiny increase in gravity.

This new information is confusing because 2001 computer models showed that Antarctica actually would gain ice this century due to increased rainfall due to global warming. But the new information from these satellites shows the opposite will happen—and is happening right now.

that my undergraduate school is a whole lot better than the green school along taft avenue.

or is it too early to tell?

but where do you find a school that exalts high schoolish work in graduate school?

my, my...

i'm so close to admitting that the only reason i'm there is that it is closer to home (no figurative meaning there).

i hope to be wrong. so wrong.

Edited by KristinLavransdatr
  • 3 weeks later...
patience is a virtue.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, blitzz127. Patience is also its own reward. An outcome does not have to be in your favor in order for you to say that your patience has paid off; it could also be the realization of things you otherwise wouldn't have known had you acted rashly. Either way, it always pays to err on the side of caution.