• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

LA Lakers

Where in my argument did I state that McHale and Parish won an MVP that you keep on asking it?

I was merely asking you a question if Mchale and Parish won an MVP. Will you answer it or not?

Yeah and who won the 1986 Finals?, the fact that Magic came into his own, facilitated the team in 1987 and then won the trophy is proof enough that he did not have the luxury of having an MVP teammate.

Haha! What about the titles the Lakers won in 1980, 1982 and 1985? Who was the man for the Lakers in those years?

Having good role players > having an MVP teammate, even the Bulls know that, hell even the Dr. J Sixers and Hakeem Rockets know that.

Yes, having an MVP team mate really helps because Dr. J had one in Moses Malone when the Sixers won its latest championship in 1983.

Edited by will robie

I was merely asking you a question if Mchale and Parish won an MVP. Will you answer it or not?

Haha! What about the titles the Lakers won in 1980, 1982 and 1985? Who was the man for the Lakers in those years?

Haha! 1980 Magic dominated the Sixers, Jabbar got injured and Magic scored 42 points while playing as center, 1982 James Worthy and Magic were the one consistent for Lakers, there was even one game where Kareem scored 6 points and 1985 Jabbar was a 37-year old Finals MVP with A LOT of help from Magic and Worthy.

Haha! 1980 Magic dominated the Sixers, Jabbar got injured and Magic scored 42 points while playing as center, 1982 James Worthy and Magic were the one consistent for Lakers, there was even one game where Kareem scored 6 points and 1985 Jabbar was a 37-year old Finals MVP with A LOT of help from Magic and Worthy.

Is one brilliant game a big deal? So what if Magic dominated the Sixers for one game? Johnson scored 42 points in Game 6 but it was Jabbar who carried the Lakers to the Finals in 1980. Say what? 1982 James Worthy and Magic were the one consistent for Lakers? This doesn't make any sense. Consistent for the regular season or playoffs? Now regarding 1985 Jabbar, he was the Finals MVP and he was still playing at a high level. Larry had always been the one who carried the Cs. The Lakers had Jabbar carrying them from 1979 to 1986 and Johnson took over in 1987.

Edited by will robie

Is one brilliant game a big deal? So what if Magic dominated the Sixers for one game? Johnson scored 42 points in Game 6 but it was Jabbar who carried the Lakers to the Finals in 1980. Say what? 1982 James Worthy and Magic were the one consistent for Lakers? This doesn't make any sense. Consistent for the regular season or playoffs? Now regarding 1985 Jabbar, he was the Finals MVP and he was still playing at a high level. Larry had always been the one who carried the Cs. The Lakers had Jabbar carrying them from 1979 to 1986 and Johnson took over in 1987.

LOL it's better to magnify one good game than one 3 point shot

We're talking about the Finals, why would you confuse it with regular season?, do I really need to specify where they were consistent when I was replying about the Finals for my whole post.

Yeah, Bird didn't need the help of McHale, even a game winner of Dennis Johnson, or Danny Ainge, he carried them all by himself, even the one-time Finals MVP Maxwell was useless.

If you want to praise Bird go back to the Boston thread

LOL it's better to magnify one good game than one 3 point shot

I am not magnifying. I am just stating a fact. But that's your opinion. I have mine.

We're talking about the Finals, why would you confuse it with regular season?, do I really need to specify where they were consistent when I was replying about the Finals for my whole post.

Yes, you need to because your post was vague.

Yeah, Bird didn't need the help of McHale, even a game winner of Dennis Johnson, or Danny Ainge, he carried them all by himself, even the one-time Finals MVP Maxwell was useless.

If you want to praise Bird go back to the Boston thread

Misplaced sarcasm. I will answer a question that you don't wanna answer because it will vitiate your argument. Mchale and Parish never won MVPs, let alone five. Jabbar won five of those and there are those who say he is the greatest center of all time. Magic was just a sidekick to Kareem for the first seven years of his career. I wasn't the one who started the "sidekick" post. Nagreact ka lang. I will comment here what I want to comment and my comments are related to the subject.

I agree. Kawhi MVP run have duncan, manu, parker. I am not sure if he can carry the lakers to playoffs. And yes, klay is much better FIT to lakers and an upgrade to KCP/Josh hart.

We can also get anthony davis this year. Probably send ingram and some youngster. Its over for the GSW if we get AD their kryptonite

Well Kawhi when healthy is no doubt top 5 player in NBA. While it's true that he had Duncan, Manu, Parker, he was the clear leader and most consistent player on that team which is why they gave him the MVP. if he signs with LA he won't need to immediately carry the team since they have Lebron. My main concern here is how he handled his 2017-2018 stint with the spurs.. He was very unprofessional and diva-like, considering it was the spurs who developed him into a superstar.

They can get anthony via trade 2019 or they can wait 2020 when he hits free agency. Anthony just bought a mega mansion in LA so there's a good chance that he's really interested in playing for Lakers.

Edited by red60

I was just commenting based on the post. Yes, I admit I am a Lechoke hater. Regarding your opinion that Lechoke is clutch, that's what you think. I think otherwise but let's not forget the fact that someone from Boston made the most clutch shot in Cleveland Cavaliers history, Kyrie Irving.

I would just like to comment on this post regarding sidekicks. Yes, Magic was once a sidekick of Jabbar. Jabbar was the man for the Lakers from the time he donned a Lakers uniform until 1986. In 1987, Magic took over as the man for the Lakers. Magic played second fiddle to Jabbar for around 7 years. Larry Bird never played second fiddle to anyone in Boston. He had always been the man in Boston. Hence, this makes him greater than Magic. If Larry had Kareem, they'd win, at least, 8 championships instead of 5. Imagine a Magic Johnson without a Jabbar. He'd probably struggle for the first few years like MJ. Larry took the Cs to the ECF in his rookie season. Remember, Larry was the only addition to that Cs team that went 29-53 a year earlier. In other words, Larry was the big difference for the Cs. Magic already had a 5-time MVP when he joined the Lakers. Larry didn't have a player of Kareem's caliber when he joined the Cs.

Regarding Lechoke being at par with Mamba and His Airness in terms of being clutch, I beg to disagree. In clutch situations, the Lakers went to Kobe instead of Shaq because of Shaq's atrocious free-throw shooting. After Shaq, Kobe was still the undisputed go-to-guy for the Lakers. Jordan was the unquestioned clutch guy with the Bulls. Before Kyrie, Lechoke was the Cavs' go-to guy but when Kyrie came along, either player was the go-to guy for the Cavs. Lechoke would rather pass than hit the clutch shot.

Kyrie Irving had most clutch shots in cavs history? Do you have data to back this up? Yes he hit the game 7 winner and Kyrie is a good player but he can't carry a team yet. He can't even carry the cavs to the playoffs. His first ever playoff game is with Lebron James. Jordan passed to Kerr in Game 6 vs Jazz and hit the winning shot. Paxson also hit the game winning shot vs Suns when Jordan decided to pass to Grant then Grant passed to Paxson. Did anyone call Jordan choker for passing the ball during the crucial seconds? Furthermore this is the game-tying or go-ahead field goals under 10 seconds in the post season numbers, Lebron 12/23 (52%), Jordan 7/15 (47%), Kobe 5/22 (23%). Lebron is no doubt dependable down the stretch but is he better than Jordan? I don't think so but he is definitely clutch. If you keep insisting that he's a choker then you're either blinded by your hate for Lebron or you ain't a real NBA fan. Lebron will retire top 5 greatest of all time (at the very least top 10), whether you love him, hate him, or don't care about him. :lol:

Larry vs Magic is one of the most debated NBA topics. Yes, Magic had Jabbar but Bird had a very strong team too. Dave Cowens, Tiny Archibald, Robert Parish, Kevin McHale, Dennis Johnson, and Big Bill Walton. Of these 6 players, 5 of them (all except D. Johnson) were part of the 50 greatest player. Magic was more athletic but Bird was mentally strong player. I'd still call it a tie between Magic vs Bird.

Edited by red60

Kyrie Irving had most clutch shots in cavs history? Do you have data to back this up? Yes he hit the game 7 winner and Kyrie is a good player but he can't carry a team yet. He can't even carry the cavs to the playoffs. His first ever playoff game is with Lebron James. Jordan passed to Kerr in Game 6 vs Jazz and hit the winning shot. Paxson also hit the game winning shot vs Suns when Jordan decided to pass to Grant then Grant passed to Paxson. Did anyone call Jordan choker for passing the ball during the crucial seconds? Furthermore this is the game-tying or go-ahead field goals under 10 seconds in the post season numbers, Lebron 12/23 (52%), Jordan 7/15 (47%), Kobe 5/22 (23%). Lebron is no doubt dependable down the stretch but is he better than Jordan? I don't think so but he is definitely clutch. If you keep insisting that he's a choker then you're either blinded by your hate for Lebron or you ain't a real NBA fan. Lebron will retire top 5 greatest of all time (at the very least top 10), whether you love him, hate him, or don't care about him.

I never said Kyrie had the most clutch shots in Cavs history. I said that Kyrie hit the most clutch shot in Cavs history. Read what I posted again. There is a big difference in passing the ball to an open man and agreeing to an isolation play. Lechoke retiring top 5 of all time is your opinion. He isn't even in my top 10 list.

Larry vs Magic is one of the most debated NBA topics. Yes, Magic had Jabbar but Bird had a very strong team too. Dave Cowens, Tiny Archibald, Robert Parish, Kevin McHale, Dennis Johnson, and Big Bill Walton. Of these 6 players, 5 of them (all except D. Johnson) were part of the 50 greatest player. Magic was more athletic but Bird was mentally strong player. I'd still call it a tie between Magic vs Bird.

The fact of the matter is Bird never had a player of Jabbar's caliber when he came on board. The team around Larry in his rookie season sucked as he was the only addition to that 29-53 team, the worst record in Celtics history if I am not mistaken. That's a 31-game turnaround all because of Larry Legend.

Edited by will robie

Well Kawhi when healthy is no doubt top 5 player in NBA. While it's true that he had Duncan, Manu, Parker, he was the clear leader and most consistent player on that team which is why they gave him the MVP. if he signs with LA he won't need to immediately carry the team since they have Lebron. My main concern here is how he handled his 2017-2018 stint with the spurs.. He was very unprofessional and diva-like, considering it was the spurs who developed him into a superstar.

They can get anthony via trade 2019 or they can wait 2020 when he hits free agency. Anthony just bought a mega mansion in LA so there's a good chance that he's really interested in playing for Lakers.

What would you give for AD? Also, AD is looking for a new agent and interested in Klutch (Lebron Agent) Sport: https://www.si.com/nba/2018/09/08/anthony-davis-agent-thad-foucher-klutch-sports

Also, I know AD doesn't want SUPER TEAM and Lakers is not... at the moment. :wub:

-----

Kyrie's shot (game 7) for me is one of the best closers I've seen. BUT, Lebron made that possible and he also carried Kyrie to the Finals.

Without Kyrie, Lebron did a lot of closing last season. Here's a vid of 14 closer he made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UhLPhegA2E (FIRST ONE VS BOSTON and KYRIE) ;)

Edited by Sirbas

Kyrie won that game for the Cavs. It was tied and when he made that one against Curry, it gave the Cavs a cushion. No Kyrie, no championship. If he had the ball during that play? Why didn't he ask for it? Clearly, he implicitly agreed to an isolation play for Kyrie. He's the man for the Cavs, right? Why didn't he ask for it when the Cavs needed him to shoot it? Kyrie won it for Cleveland.

No Kyrie, no championship? How far did Kyrie carry the Cavs before LeBron came back? Not very far, actually. The Warriors ran a man-to-man defense on that play because they know LeBron is a threat in clutch. Kyrie did some choking himself in game 6 when he disappeared in the dying moments, game 7 will only be a fantasy had LeBron not put the Cavs on his shoulders.

What? Kareem played until Game 5 until he got injured in that game. What are you talking about? Johnson had an excellent Game 6. I will give him that but one brilliant game is not the series. You are talking about a freaking game. Kareem was at the twilight of his career? Kareem won the Finals MVP in the 1985 Finals. What are you talking about? He was also an NBA First Teamer in 1980, 1981, 1984 and 1986. A guy in the twilight of his career would not be in the All-NBA First Team. He could not win a title until Magic came along? Really? What about the 1971 NBA championship won by the Bucks when he was still Lew Alcindor? Magic is greater than Bird because of championships? Haha! So that makes Robert Horry greater than Magic and Kareem because he had 7 championships. Again, Larry never had a 5-time MVP already in his team when he came on board. Magic was not the man for the Lakers in 1980. He had one brilliant Game 6. I will give him that but Kareem carried the Lakers to the Finals. Magic was a willing sidekick. I am stating hard facts here. Let's not make general statements like Magic was the overall leader of the Lakers in 1980. I am not making Magic look bad. If stating facts makes Magic look bad, well, it is what it is.

Larry is greater than Magic because he never had a 5-time MVP already in his team when he came along, yet, he took a 29-53 team a year earlier to the ECF with him being the only addition. Magic was not the man for the Lakers until 1987. He shared the spotlight with Kareem in LA with Kareem leading the charge from 1979 until 1986. Larry had always been the man in Boston until he retired.

Magic won Finals MVP of that series, you can't win Finals MVP with just 1 good game.

and yes, Kareem's career was on its long but fruitful end when Magic came along. I am talking about Kareem and not Lew Alcindor. Throughout his stint with the Lakers, he was battling injuries that, at that time, were hard to treat. He was actually quite lucky the Lakers landed Magic. Throughout the 80's he was surrounded by talents who can take him to championships. Those extra trophies won with the Lakers are just beautiful, no doubt, but he would not have won those had Magic not been there to facilitate for Kareem and the Lakers.

If Horry is greater than Magic because he had 7 then I will take it, 3 of those he got with the Lakers anyway and he looks like a pretty likeable guy.... aaaand that makes him greater than Larry Bird and Magic is still greater than Bird.

So what if Bird did not play with a multiple-time MVP, sounds like an excuse for not winning as much championships as he should have. It's not Magic's fault he landed in a team with Kareem on it.

Edited by startoffbeat

No Kyrie, no championship? How far did Kyrie carry the Cavs before LeBron came back? Not very far, actually. The Warriors ran a man-to-man defense on that play because they know LeBron is a threat in clutch. Kyrie did some choking himself in game 6 when he disappeared in the dying moments, game 7 will only be a fantasy had LeBron not put the Cavs on his shoulders.

Yes, you have a point in Kyrie not being able to push the Cavs to the playoffs before Lechoke did his "prodigal son" move to Cleveland. No argument there but we are talking of that series with the Ws. I'll tell you what. The reason why they isolated Kyrie was because he had Curry on him which the Cavs executed perfectly. The play they wanted was to pick off Curry off by making Smith run a high pick in order to pick Klay off and in the process guard Smith. If you were a coach, you wouldn't let Curry guard Kyrie because Kyrie is the best shot creator in the NBA bar none and Curry is not the defender Klay is. So once they had the isolation against Curry, Kyrie could have done anything against Curry because Curry just does not have the tools to guard Kyrie that is why Klay was the main defender on Kyrie. Kyrie disappeared in Game 6? The Cavs won by a rout in Game 6 of the 2016 NBA Finals. What are you talking about?

Edited by will robie