Rugby in the Philippines

Headroom

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings!

I'm A Rugby Player Myself, and been Playing Rugby Union and Rugby League since 2007. Since then I love the game for its Quick exchanges, passes, Tackles, Scrums, and the plays. Blood rushes on your brain, think fast, act quickly, and score a try at the enemy's base. I am a member of the "real" all-Filipino Rugby Team, No Half-bloods included, unlike Volcanoes. (Since Matt Cullen, my Former coach, put some politics on it, damn him.).My Experience is that after a Hard-grueling game, battling the expats from Nomads Tamarraw, Alabang Ibons, Manila Hapons, Pot Bellied Pigs, and Other teams, and also had a chance to Play against Andrew James Peñaflorida Wolff and Derek Ramsay (year 2009), BEER is a must!! There would be a celebration,doesn't matter if you win or lose, we are brothers and sisters just noy by blood, but also in spirit, and plenty of Hot Girls roaming around checking us out. All I can say is that, after the pain in the game, we are greatly rewarded of what we have done. laugh.gif

I am also inviting everyone to watch the coming

Cebu 10s Rugby Game to be held at Cebu International School,

Pit-Os, Talamban, Cebu, on November 16, 2013.

The 6th Annual International Cebu 10s Rugby Festival! laugh.gif

See you there!!

P.S.

If you want to know more about Rugby, you can message me, or Read the Articles of my Good Friend, "Erick Elefante" at http://www.rugbyleagueplanet.com/.

Juice Bits: The Dirty Secret of the Phrase "All Filipino Player Rugby Team" of Philippine Volcanoes is "NOT TRUE". Ask me why and I will get back to you. See you soon Guys!

Crassus.... no doubt you and I know each other.

Just a quick note.... the PRFU decided several year ago to phase out the expat players from the Volcanoes.... I was actually one of those players. The idea was to create a team of "Filipino heritage" players and that was the correct thing to do for many reasons - not the least of which was to promote the game locally. Filipino heritage meaning either having been born and growing up here or having Filipino ancestry.

While the current crop of Volcanoes mostly grew up outside the Philippines they all have direct Filipino heritage and Filipino passports.

I was privy to a lot of the politics in the PRFU and still am... I can tell you sincerely that Matt Cullen, while contributing to the decision making process, was not the ultimate decision maker. Perhaps you don't have to feel so badly towards him now.

What Matt has provided to rugby in the Philippines over the last 13 or so years is immeasurable and he deserves lots of praise - I guess as the most visible person in the PRFU he will get criticism as well as the praise on occasion.

Anyways agree that beer after the game is a must.

Unfortunately will miss the Cebu 10's this year but hope you have a good one.

Greetings!

I'm A Rugby Player Myself, and been Playing Rugby Union and Rugby League since 2007. Since then I love the game for its Quick exchanges, passes, Tackles, Scrums, and the plays. Blood rushes on your brain, think fast, act quickly, and score a try at the enemy's base. I am a member of the "real" all-Filipino Rugby Team, No Half-bloods included, unlike Volcanoes. (Since Matt Cullen, my Former coach, put some politics on it, damn him.).My Experience is that after a Hard-grueling game, battling the expats from Nomads Tamarraw, Alabang Ibons, Manila Hapons, Pot Bellied Pigs, and Other teams, and also had a chance to Play against Andrew James Peñaflorida Wolff and Derek Ramsay (year 2009), BEER is a must!! There would be a celebration,doesn't matter if you win or lose, we are brothers and sisters just noy by blood, but also in spirit, and plenty of Hot Girls roaming around checking us out. All I can say is that, after the pain in the game, we are greatly rewarded of what we have done. laugh.gif

I am also inviting everyone to watch the coming

Cebu 10s Rugby Game to be held at Cebu International School,

Pit-Os, Talamban, Cebu, on November 16, 2013.

The 6th Annual International Cebu 10s Rugby Festival! laugh.gif

See you there!!

P.S.

If you want to know more about Rugby, you can message me, or Read the Articles of my Good Friend, "Erick Elefante" at http://www.rugbyleagueplanet.com/.

Juice Bits: The Dirty Secret of the Phrase "All Filipino Player Rugby Team" of Philippine Volcanoes is "NOT TRUE". Ask me why and I will get back to you. See you soon Guys!

Edited by Headroom

Just a quick note.... the PRFU decided several year ago to phase out the expat players from the Volcanoes.... I was actually one of those players. The idea was to create a team of "Filipino heritage" players and that was the correct thing to do for many reasons - not the least of which was to promote the game locally. Filipino heritage meaning either having been born and growing up here or having Filipino ancestry.

While the current crop of Volcanoes mostly grew up outside the Philippines they all have direct Filipino heritage and Filipino passports.

I was privy to a lot of the politics in the PRFU and still am... I can tell you sincerely that Matt Cullen, while contributing to the decision making process, was not the ultimate decision maker. Perhaps you don't have to feel so badly towards him now.

What Matt has provided to rugby in the Philippines over the last 13 or so years is immeasurable and he deserves lots of praise - I guess as the most visible person in the PRFU he will get criticism as well as the praise on occasion.

Wow, nice meeting you here! rolleyes.gif

Thank you for the information, but I still don't know if my teammates will believe this story, or not. Our coach said that there is still something going on when he talks with the PRFU board and the RFU in Australia regarding this situation, and there I think, there is still some bad blood going on. Our team are now practicing Rugby League, for our coach decided that let them handle the Union, but we will start the League, as PNRL.

As for Matt Cullen. me and my teammates have personal grudges with him, maybe I understand where he is coming from, and I have understand why did he do that, but I don't know about my mates' reaction. I will ask for an apology if I say something not nice, but I still can't forget and forgive him. I don't know why, but it is rooted on our minds.

Thanks for this very important information, and I will let them know asap on Saturday at practice.

Take care ! rolleyes.gif

So you are training with Rick Hartley?

Philippine Volcanoes all set for Singapore Sevens

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine Volcanoes, the country’s National Rugby team, is ready to make more noise for the sport and banner Filipino pride once again.

Fresh from back-to-back Plate Division Championship wins in Thailand and India, the Philippine Volcanoes will travel to the Singapore 7s on Friday, November 8 to compete in the 4th and final leg of the HSBC Asian Sevens Series.

The Volcanoes have missed out on a Cup Division spot in the past 3 tournaments, and currently rank 5th in a field of 12 teams from all over Asia that make up the core participants of the series. They are hoping a refreshed and fortified team will result in a better finish.

The Philippines are in Pool C of the tournament and will see action on day one against Indonesia and Sri Lanka. Wins in both these games will set up a Cup Quarter Final showdown with either Singapore or China.

Volcanoes coach Matt Cullen has been impressed with this week’s preparations at the PRFU High Performance Facility in Canlubang, Laguna. He believes that the Volcanoes can equal their feats from the same tournament in 2012, where they edged Korea for a bronze medal and a ticket to the 2013 Rugby World Cup Sevens.

“This is the strongest squad we have assembled for 2013 since competing in the Rugby World Cup Sevens,” he said in a statement. “The players are very determined to prove that they are one of the top teams in Asia.”

Co-Captian Oliver Saunders also said that the team has been working hard to prepare for the tournament. “The boys have all worked very hard at training camp and everyone knows the importance of a top 3 finish for us in Singapore.”

He added that apart from hard work, a positive mindset also resonates within the team.

“There is a good feeling amongst the team and we all know what needs to be done to achieve our goal. As always, we are looking forward to representing the Philippines in the big challenge ahead.”

This 2013 Asian Sevens series will also serve as the ranking series for the 2014 Asian Games, which will be held in Korea next September. A top three performance this weekend will definitely set the foundations for the Volcanoes to enter the Asian Games with the confidence to claim a medal.

The Singapore Sevens will be played on November 9-10 at the Yio Chu Kang Sports Complex, Ang Mo Kio, Singapore. The games will be streamed live on www.youtube.com/asian5nationstv. PRFU will be posting updates on www.facebook.com/PhilippineRugby and www.twitter.com/PhilippineRugby. – Rappler.com

• 1 month later...

Happy New Year to everyone...

I hope that 2014 is a healthy and prosperous one for you all.

Keep checking here for updates on Rugby in the Philippines and I hope that I can get some of you to give Rugby a go or at least watch and support the Philippines National Team....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A general invite to all who are interested:

next weekend March 22 & 23 the Manila 10's rugby tournament will be held at Nomad Sports Club in Paranaque.

There will be 36 teams from around the world attending and lots of great rugby on both days.

Lots of fun and entrance is free - come along and check it out.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...