Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

We can learn from this. Polska has not reached the FIBA-Worlds in 52 years but now that they are here, they beat a favored Russian squad to advance to the quarterfinals of this tournament. They are in now in the Elite Eight of this tournament.

I truly believe we can duplicate this but we need to have a coaching change. The coach is the key because he will choose the personnel who he believes can fit in his system. The coach is Thomas Anthony Baldwin. As for the players, I leave it up to this brilliant tactician to choose the personnel.

Japeth Aguilar is a freakish athlete by Philippine standards. He also has the height to go with his athleticism. He is not in the NBA because of one reason and one reason only: a low basketball IQ. I hope the next generation of giants like Sotto and Edu have a high basketball IQ.

japeth is just that chief...athletic big man but lacking in basketball IQ. kai, aj, and the rest of the young guns, leave it to coach tab to handle them, i'm sure he knows what to do. but that's for sbp to decide. at this point we can only hope.

We cannot simply put up an all pro team tonight and send them to compete tomorrow... the ncc program under danding and gilas 1 were good formulas... we should build these 2 programs...this iteration of gilas went back to the time that we still think that an all pro team will work... it won't...

japeth is just that chief...athletic big man but lacking in basketball IQ. kai, aj, and the rest of the young guns, leave it to coach tab to handle them, i'm sure he knows what to do. but that's for sbp to decide. at this point we can only hope.

Yes, chief. I guess I am not the only one who noticed Japeth's low basketball IQ. I hope the next generation has that. If they do, we'll be pretty hard to beat in international competitions, especially, if Kai and AJ become post and three-point threats and pass well.

In other news, the Celtics, I mean the USA beat Ante and Greece by 16 points as Marcus Smart and Team USA held down the purported best player in the tournament to only 15 points. The Greek coach benched the best player in the tournament in the 4th quarter. He probably got scared at the physicality that Team USA was putting on the best player of the tournament. Marcus Smart was all over Ante. I am pretty sure Brad got some pointers from Pop on how to defend Ante but then again, Brad may have taught Pop on how to use Smart to defend Ante. To add fuel to the fire, Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown had some words with the Antetekounmpo brothers after the game and this would add flavor if the Bucks and the Celtics meet in the playoffs.

Edited by will robie

Yes, chief. I guess I am not the only one who noticed Japeth's low basketball IQ. I hope the next generation has that. If they do, we'll be pretty hard to beat in international competitions, especially, if Kai and AJ become post and three-point threats and pass well.

In other news, the Celtics, I mean the USA beat Ante and Greece by 16 points as Marcus Smart and Team USA held down the purported best player in the tournament to only 15 points. The Greek coach benched the best player in the tournament in the 4th quarter. He probably got scared at the physicality that Team USA was putting on the best player of the tournament. Marcus Smart was all over Ante. I am pretty sure Brad got some pointers from Pop on how to defend Ante but then again, Brad may have taught Pop on how to use Smart to defend Ante. To add fuel to the fire, Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown had some words with the Antetekounmpo brothers after the game and this would add flavor if the Bucks and the Celtics meet in the playoffs.

it all starts with the coach chief...somebody "KNOWLEDGEABLE" and familiar with international basket. to almost everybody's mind, there's only one name that fits the bill. from there, he knows who the players to pick to run his system. give the team all the time to train, develop chemistry and familiarize themselves to international basketball. imho that's the best solution to philippine basketball's predicament.

it all starts with the coach chief...somebody "KNOWLEDGEABLE" and familiar with international basket. to almost everybody's mind, there's only one name that fits the bill. from there, he knows who the players to pick to run his system. give the team all the time to train, develop chemistry and familiarize themselves to international basketball. imho that's the best solution to philippine basketball's predicament.

I have no argument here, chief. Let Tab handle the coaching and let Paras, Edu, Sotto and Rivero be the core four of Gilas moving forward. Even if they turn pro, the four should be the backbone of Gilas and should be tapped every FIBA-Asia, FIBA-World, and Olympics.

Espana is in the lead by 9 points over Srbija early in the 4th. If Srbija loses, this will be a disappointment. Spain has 5 current or former NBA players in its roster so it is definitely one of the favorites in this tournament. The Spaniards have the personnel to match up with the long and sweet-shooting Serbs.

Edited by will robie

If the system is flawed, what must be done to straighten it out? Maybe, it’s time to revisit the national team development program that San Miguel Corp. chairman Eduardo Cojuangco undertook with coach Ron Jacobs. That program delivered the last FIBA Asia championship to the Philippines in 1986 but it took nursing a crack group of collegiate players reinforced by two naturalized players over a period of at least three years to get the job done. At the time, FIBA allowed two naturalized players for each country and for the Philippines, they were Jeff Moore and Dennis Still. Another naturalized player Chip Engelland never got to play for the national team although he represented the country wearing the San Miguel colors at the FIBA World Clubs Championships in Gerona, Spain and the Jones Cup in 1985.

In today’s context, since FIBA allows only one naturalized player per country, the development program could include a selection of PBA players to join the collegiate stars who’ll be temporarily restrained from entering the pro draft. C. J. Perez, Robert Bolick and Kiefer Ravena would be candidates in the select unit of PBA recruits. Kai Sotto, A. J. Edu and other collegiate standouts will form the nucleus with a naturalized player.

I have no argument here, chief. Let Tab handle the coaching and let Paras, Edu, Sotto and Rivero be the core four of Gilas moving forward. Even if they turn pro, the four should be the backbone of Gilas and should be tapped every FIBA-Asia, FIBA-World, and Olympics.

Remember this? https://www.philstar.com/sports/2015/08/14/1488087/gilas-dilemma-where-are-smc-players

The SBP should demand this: Players in the Gilas training pool drafted to the PBA are required to have a clause in their contract that will automatically release them from their club teams whenever they are called up to the national team.

Coach Tab is not popular with SMC management, so we need this clause in place to add stability to the Gilas program.

There are many problems related to the basketball program, as many of us here have summarized: Short time to practice together, and worse is it the PBA team does not release its players for the national team, etc. etc.

I dont see much hope, unless a godfather like MVP will bankroll a dedicated national team (just like NCC back in the 1980s) with a long term program. Syempre the PBA cannot just agree to release all of the best players, since it is a commercial league and the team owners want to get back their investment in their teams. Ang problem is that the players joining the dedicated national team have to be paid at par with PBA; otherwise, they will choose to play in PBA.

Remember this? https://www.philstar.com/sports/2015/08/14/1488087/gilas-dilemma-where-are-smc-players

The SBP should demand this: Players in the Gilas training pool drafted to the PBA are required to have a clause in their contract that will automatically release them from their club teams whenever they are called up to the national team.

Coach Tab is not popular with SMC management, so we need this clause in place to add stability to the Gilas program.

I am not aware that Tab is not popular with SMC management as I have not read any article to support it.

I did. Nowhere in the article did it state that Tab is not popular with SMC management.

Read between the lines

"The 33- year old Pingris and even LA Tenorio were reportedly asking for their release to the national pool even up to the 11th hour to no avail."

"June Mar Fajardo, Tenorio and Japeth Aguilar, who excused themselves with different health reasons, have made themselves scarce from media and the public since the national pool was announced two weeks ago.

"Si June Mar na back-to-back MVP, ang lakas-lakas nung finals biglang may injury pala. Nakakapagtaka naman 'yun," the source said.

Why did SMC Management forbid all of them to play under Tab Baldwin then?

Read between the lines

"The 33- year old Pingris and even LA Tenorio were reportedly asking for their release to the national pool even up to the 11th hour to no avail."

"June Mar Fajardo, Tenorio and Japeth Aguilar, who excused themselves with different health reasons, have made themselves scarce from media and the public since the national pool was announced two weeks ago.

"Si June Mar na back-to-back MVP, ang lakas-lakas nung finals biglang may injury pala. Nakakapagtaka naman 'yun," the source said.

Why did SMC Management forbid all of them to play under Tab Baldwin then?

It does not imply that SMC management does not like Tab Baldwin. What did Tab do to make SMC have an axe to grind against him?

It does not imply that SMC management does not like Tab Baldwin. What did Tab do to make SMC have an axe to grind against him?

Sadly, I think it's all about politics.

Coach Tab is supported by MVP who is of course the main booster of Ateneo and the Gilas Program.

One of the major shareholders of SMC is Danding Cojuangco who is the main booster of DLSU.

Coach Tab responded to the public clamor to put him back as head coach of Gilas:

https://www.spin.ph/basketball/fiba/tab-baldwin-ready-to-help-gilas-but-says-coach-alone-can-t-solve-problem-a2437-20190909

"The coach can't solve the problem, changing the players can't solve problems, or just developing a program and not looking at anything else can't solve the problem," Baldwin said when asked about the growing clamor for his return to the Gilas job.

"I think that it is virtually a scientific process and it's inexact, so that's contradictory in saying that. But there are people around that should be involved in this discussion and I think that everything has to be considered. I think it is a very, very complex decision that should involve vested, high-quality basketball minds in this country."

chief i cannot see any "DIRECT" link stating that SMC does not like coach tab nor SMC having an axe to grind against the kiwi. nonetheless, IF THIS IS INDEED TRUE, then honestly i feel bad and sorry for philippine basketball. i'm not saying it's the end of it because sbp may be able to find a qualified/competent coach acceptable to smc players (maybe somewhere out there in serbia or latvia or spain or one in south america) but the opportunity lost...coach tab already being based in the country. sayang lang talaga because it now becomes personal rather than national interest. just my 2 cents worth.

Coach Tab responded to the public clamor to put him back as head coach of Gilas:

https://www.spin.ph/basketball/fiba/tab-baldwin-ready-to-help-gilas-but-says-coach-alone-can-t-solve-problem-a2437-20190909

"The coach can't solve the problem, changing the players can't solve problems, or just developing a program and not looking at anything else can't solve the problem," Baldwin said when asked about the growing clamor for his return to the Gilas job.

"I think that it is virtually a scientific process and it's inexact, so that's contradictory in saying that. But there are people around that should be involved in this discussion and I think that everything has to be considered. I think it is a very, very complex decision that should involve vested, high-quality basketball minds in this country."

i like that last sentence," x x x HIGH QUALITY BASKETBALL MINDS x x x." sino kaya itong mga taong ito? tsk tsk tsk

i like that last sentence," x x x HIGH QUALITY BASKETBALL MINDS x x x." sino kaya itong mga taong ito? tsk tsk tsk

In a way, Coach Tab is saying the current basketball leadership has LOW QUALITY basketball minds. I don't want to infer too much, but he's probably referring to the PBA Management. Well, he won't get a lot of love from the PBA with that statement. :lol: