• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Barangay Ginebra Kings

slyfox

Tim Cone, the Philippine Basketball Association’s winningest coach of all-time, will be transferring to Barangay Ginebra in the coming days, the announcement of which will be made official by the San Miguel group any day after the on-going Governors’ Cup Finals.

Also to be announced is the appointment of former PBA point guard Jason Webb as Cone’s replacement at Star, whom Come guided to only the league’s fifth Grand Slam last season before failing to make any Final Four round in the season that’s about to end.

The Inquirer broke this story on Tuesday in a blind item that referred to a multi-titled mentor in Cone transferring to a popular ball club, in this case, Ginebra, which, despite a loaded roster, also fared badly this year.

That same report also said that an upstart bench tactician will be taking over one of the two popular clubs that will have a coaching change, with Webb earning the appointment over the likes of long-time Star assistant Richard del Rosario and Cone protégé Johnny Abarrientos.

What is yet to be determined at this time is whether Abarrientos and or Del Rosario will be joining Cone at Ginebra, which has a slew of assistants to its last coach, Frankie Lim.

Lim, who finished with a losing record in his only conference as a coach, reportedly got the boot because of the fracas he was involved in when the Gin Kings lost to Alaska in their quarterfinal clash.

Ginebra, needing to beat the Aces two straight times to make the semifinals, blew control late in the third quarter when a commotion involving Alaska’s Calvin Abueva, Ginebra players LA Tenorio and Orlando Johnson, and Lim, came into contact with Abueva.

Lim was fined P50,000 and suspended one game by the Office of the Commissioner for physically contacting Abueva. That incident also sparked the Alaska comeback and ultimately ousted the Gin Kings from contention.

Edited by photographer

Triangle offense na sinusuka ng dalawang divas. Now what?

chief, question now is - will it be divas or tim cone who will have the say at ginebra? i'm pretty sure napag-usapan na ang papel ni coach tim diyan. kung sa purefoods siya ang nasunod pati sa pagpili ng mga imports, palagay ko ganyan din sa ginebra. nothing to worry about.

• Like (+1) 1

exciting developments indeed chief...ito ang talagang dapat abangan. if rumor is true that it will be tim cone, then i don't think lanete will be the pick of ginebra. as far as i know, tim cone wants tall, fast and mobile players...someone in the mold of joe devance. pero abangan natin kung si coach tim na nga para sa ginebra.

for me ayaw ko din si Lanete ang kunin ni Tim Cone, ayaw ko din si PJ Simon, madami ng #1 and #2 sa GSM ngayon, mas kelangan nila ang #3 or #4 position kaya mas prefer ko sana kung si Ian Sangalang ang kunin nila sa hotshots pero sa tingin ko malabo siya ibigay.

wala naman say ang 2 divas sa GSM, basketball player lang sila at hindi coaching staff or management, at hindi din team owners, they don't call the shot or kung sino ang coach na gusto ilagay sa Ginebra. Kung i apply man ni Cone ang Triangle Offense sa GSM, eh diskarte na nya yun, ang importante mag champion ang Ginebra.

The team owner is doing his best to utilize all their resources para lang mapag champion ulit ang team natin... let's just support them instead of criticizing them.

Let's wait and see kung sino ang napipisil ni Tim Cone sa draft. sana #3 or #4 ang player na makuha nya.

since multi-titled at 2x grand slam coach na ang ilalagay sa GSM, siguro naman wala ng dahilan para hindi sila mag champion, kapag hindi pa din nangyari ito... eh wala ng problema sa coaching staff... ayaw ko man sabihin eh baka puro ban ban na yung karamihan sa mga players natin at kelangan na silang palitan or mag retire. .

Edited by dinibdib

Yes...ano nang papel ngayon ni headband47...now that si tim na ang headcoach....pati na rin si chua...ala nang epal sa pagcocoach,,,,will tim make greg better? Pati na rin si japhet? (Who got his mojos back during FLs tenure)...from what i know also...Triangle offense is not frontcourt oriented or bigs friendly(correct me guys)...

However...tims has a good record on his draft picks( abarrientos, cariaso, cortez, cablay, and medyo sablay kay arigo, tapos ok din sina..melton and sanggalang)....tapos magaling mamili ng imports...good trades din...getting lastimosa,hawkins and duremdes during his alaska tenure..will all of these make ginebra better? Lanete anyone? Newsome? Opstal( might be good fit for tim)....or pj simon? Sanggalang? ...now mas exciting pa to kesa sa ongoing championship between smb and alaska :)

Edited by azraelmd

IMO....mukhang madami lang silang players sa 1and 2 positions...pero ilan lang ba ang seviceable sa kanila? PG ...LA, sol and monfort...parang baroca, mallari and melton lang... Sa SG? Headband47... Compared sa yap, simon and mallari....so lanete would be a great pick for the gins...sa SF...barracael and ellis....frontcourt nandyan yun twin towers, brondial, marcelo and pena....considering na guard oriented yun majority ng teams sa PBA...wouldnt it makes sense na pagandahin ang guard rotation natin?

Transfer to Ginebra gives Cone chance to achieve a rare feat.

Tim Cone, the PBA’s winningest coach with 18 titles under his belt, will have a chance to chase a record shared by coaches Chot Reyes, Yeng Guiao and Norman Black if talks of his transfer from Star to Barangay Ginebra come to fruition.

If ever, Cone will have a shot at winning championships with three different teams – a feat done by Reyes, Guiao and Black.

Reyes bagged crowns with Purefoods, Coca-Cola and Talk n Text, Guiao with Swift, Red Bull and Rain or Shine while Black with San Miguel, Sta. Lucia and Talk n Text.

Cone became the league’s most decorated coach with 13 titles with Alaska Milk and five with Purefoods/Star. He’s had grand slam championships with both teams.

Edited by Robo Cop

let us just watch them whip.... and maybe nae nae.... LOL...

after the fl hype here comes another coaching change... until its announced officially...

According to insider reports, the bomb drops tomorrow chief.

IMHO, nagpanic agad si RSA nung parehong sumemplang ang Barangay at ang Star. As far as the draft picks are concerned, if Rayray Parks is gonna be joining, I say trade Ellis or Baracael to Kia then get that pick to either get Rosario or Tautuua.

As far as the triangle goes, well, MC47 and the rest of the agency should brush up on their shooting. After all, the triangle always looks for the open man. Or it could also maximize Greg and Japeth, after all, CTC made stars out of Thoss and Poch Juinio, as well as Sanggalang and Pingris.

They might need more than ellis or barracael if theyd want to improve their draft standings...id say...ellis/barracael + another player + ginebras draft pick....for me go for all na...get that 2nd pick...since tinatarget na ng TnT..win-win situation for them yun...getting cone tapos rosario? No more boracay!!!!!

They might need more than ellis or barracael if theyd want to improve their draft standings...id say...ellis/barracael + another player + ginebras draft pick....for me go for all na...get that 2nd pick...since tinatarget na ng TnT..win-win situation for them yun...getting cone tapos rosario? No more boracay!!!!!

baracael + urbiztondo + the 4th pick = 2nd pick of kia = troy rosario?...not bad...rather than TnT getting the 2nd pick :)

if, however, that 2nd pick doesn't land on cone's lap, marami pa naman pwedeng kunin - torres, khobuntin, thompson. i think the rookie class is deep with talent...baka hanggang 2nd round makakuha si coach tim.

Edited by junix

Actually, mas makukumbinsi natin si Pacman kung si Ellis at si Urbiztondo ang ittrade sa kanya, after all, he did say na interesado sya sa dalawang ito noon. 2nd pick + 4th pick. Rosario/Lanete. Gandang kuha panigurado. Solve and deficiency sa SG/SF position.

• Like (+1) 1