Barangay Ginebra Kings

slyfox

Macklin bound for Manila, but won't make it in time for Sunday game against Petron By Snow Badua

February 15, 2013, 04:46 pm

http://contents.spin.ph/image/vernonmacklin-twitter.jpg

Vernon Macklin posted this photo of himself, supposedly in the airport, on his Instagram account.

NEW import Vernon Macklin is set to arrive on Monday to take over from Herbert Hill as Barangay Ginebra's reinforcement in the PBA Commissioner's Cup.

The former Detroit Piston got Ginebra fans excited when he posted a photo of him in the airport on his Twitter account on Friday (Manila time), raising hope that he can arrive in time to suit up in the Kings' game against Petron on Sunday.

However, a check conducted by Spin.ph showed the hard-banging big man from NBA D-League side Rio Grande Valley Vipers won't board his flight to Manila until Sunday afternoon.

According to sources, Macklin was set to go to Texas to tend to some personal matters on Friday before flying to San Francisco where he will board the inter-continental flight to Manila.

The 6-10 power forward, described as an inside operator who doesn't shy away from contact in the paint, is expected to arrive on Monday morning and join his first practice with the Kings on Tuesday.

He is expected to make his debut in a road game against Alaska Milk in Tubod, Lanao del Norte on February 23.

http://www.pbaddicts.net/t26734-hill-in-farewell-game-as-winless-kings-face-boosters

napanood ko yung game kagabi... hill is no alexander but i think he is being made as the escape goat for a poor showing of my fav team... the guy is averaging 19.5 pts and 19 rebounds... masyadong hi hype yung mahina daw yung import.. kung hindi magaling yung import bakit kinuha pa in the first place? remember me 4 na games sila sa baguio na 1 lang ang pinanalo nila.. dapat dun pa lang pinalitan na nila si hill...

sa nakita ko kagabi, di lang yung import ang problema.... yung local team hindi alam ang gagawin...kanya kanya... walang play... tapos si mark nalilimutan mamasa... kahit malas o gipit tinitira pa rin...

yung coach walang alam na combination...pinaninindigan yung 'free-willing offense' daw.... kahit na si kobe ang import nila kung hindi papalitan yung system at plays, walang mangyayari... 7 games to go...

• Like (+1) 1

http://www.pbaddicts.net/t26734-hill-in-farewell-game-as-winless-kings-face-boosters

napanood ko yung game kagabi... hill is no alexander but i think he is being made as the escape goat for a poor showing of my fav team... the guy is averaging 19.5 pts and 19 rebounds... masyadong hi hype yung mahina daw yung import.. kung hindi magaling yung import bakit kinuha pa in the first place? remember me 4 na games sila sa baguio na 1 lang ang pinanalo nila.. dapat dun pa lang pinalitan na nila si hill...

sa nakita ko kagabi, di lang yung import ang problema.... yung local team hindi alam ang gagawin...kanya kanya... walang play... tapos si mark nalilimutan mamasa... kahit malas o gipit tinitira pa rin...

yung coach walang alam na combination...pinaninindigan yung 'free-willing offense' daw.... kahit na si kobe ang import nila kung hindi papalitan yung system at plays, walang mangyayari... 7 games to go...

Partly I agree with this, ang sagwa panoorin ng mga locals and as stated parang hindi alam ang gagawin kundi ipasa kay MC47 na pag pinasahan mo naman tira na agad kahit alanganin

kung ako si chua, eto kombinasyon ko:

option 1

import

mamaril

hatfield

caguioa

helterbrand

option 2

import

raymundo

ellis

baracael

tenorio

si rico, lagabala at espiritu ready para sa magandang pamalit....

kahit si jawo, na free-wheel offense din, me play at me depensa... sana lagyan ni chua ng ganun....

6 games to go

New Ginebra import Macklin quick to impress teammates in practice By Snow Badua

February 18, 2013, 06:22 pm

http://contents.spin.ph/image/ginebrapractice2.jpg

If Vernon Macklin's first practice is a reliable gauge, Ginebra may soon be headed to a turnaroundc after a woeful 0-3 start with Herbert Hill. Jerome Ascano

HE lacks sleep and is still battling jetlag, yet new Barangay Ginebra import Vernon Macklin has already made a big impression on teammates.

“Ang lakas niya. Talagang nangangalabaw siya sa ilalim,” said Ginebra forward Rico Maierhofer at the end of the Kings’ practice on Monday at the Xavier School gym.

“Bigat bantayan,” he added.

Maierhofer even recalled one play during the three-on-three drills where Macklin put an emphatic finish on an alley-oop pass by Kerby Raymundo with a slam dunk.

“Ang lupit 'nung dunk niya. Puyat at may jetlag pa yun ... kaya tingin ko mas lalakas pa siya,” added the newly-wed Maierhofer.

Another Ginebra big man, Willie Wilson, described Macklin as a Denzel Bowles type of import who can make a big difference inside the paint with his size and behind-the-basket moves.

“Ang lapad niya, na may kilos, na malakas mag post up,” said Wilson, who guarded Macklin during the one-hour drill which coach Alfrancis Chua precisely called to size up Herbert Hill’s replacement.

Both Maierhofer and Wilson, though, want to see their new reinforcement in five-on-five drills before making a full assessment on Macklin.

The former Florida Gators stalwart joined Ginebra’s drills after arriving early Monday to take over from Hill, who was shipped out after the Kings’ 0-3 start to the season.

Aside from Maierhofer, Raymundo and Wilson, also present during the mini-practice were Rob Labagala, Elmer Espiritu and Keith Jensen.

This early, Labagala is sure Macklin will be a lot better than the out-of-shape Hill.

“Tingin ko mas okay ito, kasi may diin yung laro niya eh. Saka nakita ko yung mga bantay niya kanina sa drills napapa-atras,” bared Labagala.

When asked about his first impression with his new team, Macklin said he is happy to join the country’s most popular ballclub.

“Practice is pretty cool, we did some plays ... can’t wait to play with them,” said Macklin.

Macklin is a tough inside operator. Medyo pagod pa nga 'nung naglaro. He'll be okay with the team, just what they needed. Anyway, the locals will take care of the perimeter and farther shots. His free throw percentage 'though has left much to be desired. Bottomline, he's way way better and more valuable then Hill.

The trouble is all of the teams have become competitive, including their selection of the imports. Thus, palyers' chemistry, locals' effort, and coaching will be the decisive factors.

Mukhang magiging short lived ang pag co coach ni long hair.

i am not a fan, i just feel that alfrancis is not a right fit... he might be good during the amateur days, but this is the big league... look at his stint in tanduay and sta lucia... it will speak for itself.... until he wins bigtime, i will always believe he is not the right person for my fav team....