Barangay Ginebra Kings

slyfox

NEVER SAY DIE..........NUON PA MAN.....................

THE 1965 UE- UST CAGE FINALS

Its UE's Robert Jaworski vs. UST's Danilo Florencio in the 1965 UAAP basketball finals. The two great basketball warriors later figured in many unforgettable cage wars in the amateur league (MICAA) and the professional league (PBA) in the 6os and 70s.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nxUb2kYKSvI/SDwgqNu-12I/AAAAAAAAGfU/NCuLhD3ARRk/s400/Danilo+Florencio+photo-sf.jpghttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/_nxUb2kYKSvI/SDwgqtu-13I/AAAAAAAAGfc/3Gvcx45ZilA/s400/Robert+Jaworski+photo-sf.jpg

THE UE-UST RUBBER MATCH:

A CLASSIC OF A CAGE CHAMPIONSHIP

"Last minute errors, swift steals decide nerve-wracking contest"

The best of three games for the 1965 UAAP basketball diadem went to the University of the East, but the hero of the third and decisive match came from the losing team. He was Danilo Florencio, a 19-year old UST forward, whom nobody could stop that night--- except the referees. And when Coach Caloy Loyzaga’s prized rookie fouled out in the closing minute after a spectacular 40-point performance, UST’s retention bid for crown crumbled under the terrific pressure put on by the mighty UE warriors.http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_nxUb2kYKSvI/SDwhCdu-14I/AAAAAAAAGfk/GQFbFDGYZ4c/s400/UE-UST+Cage+Finals-65--Loyzaga-sf.jpg

Although spotty officiating hurt the Goldies more than it did the Warriors--- only one of the UST first stringers survived the game--- UE could not be denied its hard-earned victory. But for Florencio’s superb showing, Chief Warrior Robert Jaworski was the outstanding star of the evening, grabbing those rebounds like nobody’s business and scattering 29 precious points, the last two of which came off Florencio’s fifth and costly foul and tied the score at 84-all, with 10 seconds to go. At this stage, UST was a badly crippled lot, and Loyzaga had to scrape the bottom of a shallow bench; the reserves he sent in to face a still intact UE first team fell apart with a series of boners which enabled the Warriors to pull two sensational steals and put in four points to clinch the thrill-chocked contest.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_nxUb2kYKSvI/SDwhCtu-15I/AAAAAAAAGfs/ojOIG2Iq580/s400/UE-UST+Cage+Finals-65--Dalupan-sf.jpg

The ending reminded fans of UST’s triumph in the first of the three-game championship series last Oct. 31, when Florencio made two lightning interceptions in the last few seconds to give his team a hairline 69-67 victory. The Warriors evened matters in the second game, 72-65, by blanking George Lizares, one of UST’s chief gunners. And Florencio was not so hot that time, making only 17 points, most of which came rather too late to check a determined UE crew.

Ironically, that night Florencio was at his hottest--- the entire UE team practically ganged up on him, to no avail--- UST lost the title and made Florencio the most frustrated hero in the history of UAAP cage competitions.

Source: Sunday Times Magazine

November 28, 1965

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nxUb2kYKSvI/SDwhX9u-16I/AAAAAAAAGf0/mcnjVbN036M/s400/UE-UST+Cage+Finals-65-+Jaworski-sf.jpg

Confident Hill insists he's far better than former Ginebra import Vroman By Snow Badua

January 09, 2013, 03:46 pm

http://assets.pinterest.com/images/PinExt.png

http://contents.spin.ph/image/herbhill.jpg

“Who’s better? I feel I’m better but I’ll show that to the fans this season. They have nothing to worry about,” says new Ginebra import Herbert Hill on comparisons with Jackson Vroman. Jerome Ascano

AFTER their forgettable experience with Jackson Vroman last season, Barangay Ginebra and its legions of fans can't help but be skeptical when it comes to new imports.

Herbert Hill, though, was more than willing to give reassurance.

The incoming Ginebra import on Wednesday declared he is "no Jackson Vroman," insisting that he is a far better player than the naturalized Lebanese who became remembered for his atrocious free-throw shooting than anything else during the team's run to the semifinals in the Commissioner's Cup last season.

“Who’s better? I feel I’m better but I’ll show that to the fans this season," said the second-round pick of the Utah Jazz in the 2007 NBA rookie draft. "They have nothing to worry about.”

Hill, a college teammate at Providence of naturalized player Marcus Douthit, also assured that there's nothing to worry about as far as his own free-throw shooting - supposedly an Achilles heel - is concerned.

“Tell them not to worry about my free throws, I’ll be fine,” was Hill’s message to all the 'kabarangays.'

The 6-10 import claimed he and Vroman played for the same team in the Korean league. Vroman was cut while he stayed on, Hill added.

“I replaced him and my stats will back it up. Me and Jackson are totally different players," he said.

When asked if he wants another Jackson Vroman as an import, team superstar Mark Caguioa cracked up while letting his sparring partner Jayjay Heltebrand do the talking.

“I’m praying he (Hill) won’t be … a bum,” Helterbrand said laughing.

Forward Rico Maierhofer had an even more candid take on the two imports.

“Mabait si Hill, normally kasi pag mabait (ang import) hindi magaling, pag mayabang… alam mo na. Pero we’ll see," he said.

"Sana lang di siya tulad ni Vroman. Hindi na mabait, tapos…" Maierhofer added, stopping short of completing his sentence as he burst out laughing.

Japeth Aguilar hints at 'new beginning,' fascinated by talk of Ginebra move, says agent By Snow Badua

January 10, 2013, 11:14 am

http://contents.spin.ph/image/japeth88.jpg

I am looking forward to a new beginning," says Japeth Aguilar through his agent Marvin Espiritu. Jerome Ascano

JAPETH Aguilar is still in the US and even his agent can’t say when he plans to return.

But a message given by Aguilar over the holidays has given his Philippine-based agent, Marvin Espiritu, hope that the enigmatic player is ready to take the next step in his career.

“I am looking forward to a new beginning,” was the statement relayed by Aguilar through Espiritu after coming off a two-week tour of Europe while representing NBA D-League side Santa Cruz Warriors in an all-star US selection.

Espiritu admitted he has not been briefed on what Aguilar’s plans are, but he said a Spin.ph article about a possible four-team, four-player trade that may see him land at his father Peter’s former team Ginebra has aroused the interest of the 6-9 slotman.

“Tuwang-tuwa si Japeth, kasi andami talagang nag-message at nag-tweet sa kanya about it. May iba ngang Ginebra fans parang wine-welcome na siya,” said Espiritu, son of longtime agent Danny.

“Pero hindi siya nagsalita about it, basta ang sabi lang niya gusto niyang maglaro and he wants a new beginning. Ang tanong right now ay hindi kung anong team sa PBA, anong liga siya susunod na lalaro,” he added.

Espiritu said he has been in constant touch with Talk ‘N Text management, which still owns the playing rights on Aguilar and has been regularly asking about the 2009 top rookie pick’s plans.

“Hindi ko pa rin alam ang sagot eh. Ayokong magsabi ng ganito, magsabi ng ganun kasi baka biglang may mag offer sa kanya sa States or Europe,” said Espiritu, who expects a career decision from his client over the next two weeks.

Meanwhile, a source from Ginebra confirmed the team’s interest in Aguilar.

“Gusto namin ‘yan, kaso ang problema paano namin makukuha?” said the team official who requested that he not be named.

Smart Communications media relations head Virgil Villavicencio confirmed the four-team trade that was supposed to also involve Ginebra’s Kerby Raymundo, Meralco’s Jay-R Reyes, and Globalport’s Rabeh Al-Hussaini had indeed been discussed, but he said nothing had come out of it so far.

“Wala pa yan eh. That depends on Japeth, di ba?” said Villavicencio.

okey lang yan.. come game time... di na niya mapapansin si Coach Chua... malayo na si coach sa tabi niya nasa sidelines na saka madami ng tao... :lol:

Ginebra import Herbert Hill still out of shape, undergoing evaluation

Rey Joble, InterAKTV · Sunday, January 20, 2013 · 5:46 pm http://cms.interaksyon.com/interaktv/assets/2013/01/ginebra-coaches-siot-tanquingcen-alfrancis-chua.jpgAKTV/Paolo Papa

New Barangay Ginebra San Miguel coach Alfrancis Chua is known for preaching run-and-gun basketball, which is why having an import that’s out of shape is a big problem for the squad.

Chua said import Herbert Hill is not yet in game shape, leaving his status with the squad uncertain.

“He’s on a day-to-day basis. Kailangan talaga makundisyon siya,” wrote Chua in a text message to InterAKTV.

The 6-foot-10, 240-pound Hill was selected in the second round of the NBA draft in 2007 by the Utah Jazz before being traded to the Philadelphia 76ers.

He spent last season in South Korea, where he averaged 19.1 points, 9.5 rebounds, and 2.2 blocks for the Daegu Orionas, leaving his mark as one of the most productive imports in the league.

But Hill was still groping for form in practice with Ginebra, although Chua said he has been showing flashes of brilliance.

“OK siya, may laro naman talaga. Kailangan lang ng hangin,” said Chua.

Al Chua likes Ginebra to run and gun. What happens should Ginebra reach the Finals wherein fast break points are hard to come by? I remember that Shell team in the late 80s, starring Bobby Parks, Benjie Paras and Ronnie Magsanoc, whose offense depended heavily on the fast break and always went to the Finals only to lose to SMB every time.

Huwag na lang lumayo. Yung Rain or Shine, fast breaking team, sugod ng sugod pero come finals, natigil ang fastbreak nila ng TNT.

Pabor ako sa trade na yan ... loaded na sa guard and SF ang Gin Kings at kulang sa power forward position.

mac B could be playing the stretch 4 position for them. Malamang sila ang magpalitan ni Rico M sa PF position. Could this be a prelude to another trade involving Kerby who also plays the 4 (being his natural position) in exchange of Japeth who I suppose they want to play center?