• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Barangay Ginebra Kings

slyfox

7393_957567997661482_4091707537717780499

NBA D-League Showcase Diary: Day 1 — Catching up with Tim Cone.

Tim Cone on his plan to field Othyus Jeffers as ‪Ginebra‬ import: “It’s not the best import,” “it’s the import that fits you best.”

So the next time that Cone and I crossed paths, Wednesday in Santa Cruz, California, at the NBA D-League Showcase, I had to know: Now that he’d completed his first conference as head coach of the Barangay, what part of the job had taken him by surprise? “I always knew there was more pressure coaching Ginebra than other teams,” Cone said.

“But I didn’t really experience it. You’re constantly under the spotlight. Social media is just crazy. You really feel like you’re letting a lot of people down if you don’t succeed.

“Also, I didn’t anticipate how hard teams play against Ginebra,” he added. “We never saw a B-game of anybody. We’d watch [opponents] on video, and then they’d play us and they’d be ten times better.”

Before taking over at Ginebra, Cone had coached 26 years in the PBA, he’d led his teams into dozens of do-or-die Game 7 situations, and he’d won more championships than any other coach in the history of the league. Yet to hear him tell it, even the most impressive coaching resume in the history of Philippine basketball couldn’t prepare him to know how it feels to stand in the Big J’s shadow.

Cone had flown in from Manila to scout imports at this year’s Showcase. Even though he had no immediate need for a reinforcement at Ginebra — Cone has already declared his plan to field former Talk ‘N Text stud Othyus Jeffers back-to-back in this PBA season’s Commissioner’s and Governor’s Cups — “Yeah, it’s a gamble,” Cone told me about his plan to field Jeffers, who stands less than 6’5”, in the upcoming Commissioner’s Cup, when the height limit for imports will be 6’9”. It seems especially risky because it’s Cone’s first import conference with Ginebra, and a slow start would likely lead to calls to bring in an import who matches up more evenly with other teams’ reinforcements. “But, if I may say without sounding like a know-it-all, I think the whole thing has been really well thought out,” Cone said. “We did our homework and we decided what’s gonna be best for our team.”

The driving factor behind Cone’s decision to go small with his import in the next conference was to preserve minutes for Slaughter and Aguilar, similar to San Miguel’s decision to play AZ Reid alongside Fajardo last season. “If you have a big import who has to play inside, then you’re gonna be playing him 40-44 minutes per game,” Cone explained. “That means you’re gonna be splitting the time between Japeth and Greg. I’m not going to take the strength of my team and put it on the bench.”

Besides, Cone pointed to Jeffers’s previous achievements — he was the NBA D-League’s 2013-14 MVP — and suggested that even if he stands a few inches shorter than other teams’ imports, Jeffers might not be giving up much to them. “Othyus is a special kind of 6’5” player,” Cone told me. “He played power forward in the D-League. He defended 6’9”, 6’10” guys all the time. Plus, no local is gonna be able to guard him, and no import at 6’9” is gonna be able to guard him either.

“It’s not the best import,” Cone continued, “it’s the import that fits you best.” Wednesday, in Santa Cruz, the still-new Ginebra coach sounded pretty darn sure that he had found that player in Othyus Jeffers, but then again here he was at the D-League Showcase, scouting more imports, noting plays and actions he liked and disliked, and 27 years into his coaching career still carrying himself like a student of the game.

Edited by Hari ng Spakol
  • Like (+1) 1

7393_957567997661482_4091707537717780499

NBA D-League Showcase Diary: Day 1 — Catching up with Tim Cone.

Tim Cone on his plan to field Othyus Jeffers as ‪Ginebra‬ import: “It’s not the best import,” “it’s the import that fits you best.”

So the next time that Cone and I crossed paths, Wednesday in Santa Cruz, California, at the NBA D-League Showcase, I had to know: Now that he’d completed his first conference as head coach of the Barangay, what part of the job had taken him by surprise? “I always knew there was more pressure coaching Ginebra than other teams,” Cone said.

“But I didn’t really experience it. You’re constantly under the spotlight. Social media is just crazy. You really feel like you’re letting a lot of people down if you don’t succeed.

“Also, I didn’t anticipate how hard teams play against Ginebra,” he added. “We never saw a B-game of anybody. We’d watch [opponents] on video, and then they’d play us and they’d be ten times better.”

Before taking over at Ginebra, Cone had coached 26 years in the PBA, he’d led his teams into dozens of do-or-die Game 7 situations, and he’d won more championships than any other coach in the history of the league. Yet to hear him tell it, even the most impressive coaching resume in the history of Philippine basketball couldn’t prepare him to know how it feels to stand in the Big J’s shadow.

Cone had flown in from Manila to scout imports at this year’s Showcase. Even though he had no immediate need for a reinforcement at Ginebra — Cone has already declared his plan to field former Talk ‘N Text stud Othyus Jeffers back-to-back in this PBA season’s Commissioner’s and Governor’s Cups — “Yeah, it’s a gamble,” Cone told me about his plan to field Jeffers, who stands less than 6’5”, in the upcoming Commissioner’s Cup, when the height limit for imports will be 6’9”. It seems especially risky because it’s Cone’s first import conference with Ginebra, and a slow start would likely lead to calls to bring in an import who matches up more evenly with other teams’ reinforcements. “But, if I may say without sounding like a know-it-all, I think the whole thing has been really well thought out,” Cone said. “We did our homework and we decided what’s gonna be best for our team.”

The driving factor behind Cone’s decision to go small with his import in the next conference was to preserve minutes for Slaughter and Aguilar, similar to San Miguel’s decision to play AZ Reid alongside Fajardo last season. “If you have a big import who has to play inside, then you’re gonna be playing him 40-44 minutes per game,” Cone explained. “That means you’re gonna be splitting the time between Japeth and Greg. I’m not going to take the strength of my team and put it on the bench.”

Besides, Cone pointed to Jeffers’s previous achievements — he was the NBA D-League’s 2013-14 MVP — and suggested that even if he stands a few inches shorter than other teams’ imports, Jeffers might not be giving up much to them. “Othyus is a special kind of 6’5” player,” Cone told me. “He played power forward in the D-League. He defended 6’9”, 6’10” guys all the time. Plus, no local is gonna be able to guard him, and no import at 6’9” is gonna be able to guard him either.

“It’s not the best import,” Cone continued, “it’s the import that fits you best.” Wednesday, in Santa Cruz, the still-new Ginebra coach sounded pretty darn sure that he had found that player in Othyus Jeffers, but then again here he was at the D-League Showcase, scouting more imports, noting plays and actions he liked and disliked, and 27 years into his coaching career still carrying himself like a student of the game.

Pansin ko rin talaga ito.. yung other teams pag ginebra ang kalaban talagang halos lahat ngpapakitang gilas.. even yung mga elimated teams eh..parang beast mode pag ginebra kalaban.. Good luck sa next confe....

OT: Watching Globalport being man handled by Alaska for 3 straight games makes it more painful to us BGSM fans.

If BGSM sana pumasok, I really feel we have a big chance and lagi pang puno ang venue.

basketball is a game of match ups.... pag hindi naka match up ang isang team, most probably yun ang natatalo... pero bilog talaga bola... me mga instances na nananalo ang hindi inaasahan... kaya maganda ang series para walang chamba hehehe

among the teams in the pba, i think only alaska can brag na they had dominated ginebra more than any team especially nung time ni cone sa kanila ... the only season i remember na hirap si cone at aces was nung 1997 yata.. the boars had marlou, noli, vince, pido, val etc... i remember cone's interview sa start ng season na yun.. 'gordon's gin is the team of the future'... and after being beaten by jawo et al nung 2nd conference title, ang sabi ni tim, 'the future is now'...

Edited by *kalel*

basketball is a game of match ups.... pag hindi naka match up ang isang team, most probably yun ang natatalo... pero bilog talaga bola... me mga instances na nananalo ang hindi inaasahan... kaya maganda ang series para walang chamba hehehe

among the teams in the pba, i think only alaska can brag na they had dominated ginebra more than any team especially nung time ni cone sa kanila ... the only season i remember na hirap si cone at aces was nung 1997 yata.. the boars had marlou, noli, vince, pido, val etc... i remember cone's interview sa start ng season na yun.. 'gordon's gin is the team of the future'... and after being beaten by jawo et al nung 2nd conference title, ang sabi ni tim, 'the future is now'...

Ibang klase din talaga ang import nun. Chris King. Napaka versatile. Maglalaro kahit may injury. Kakamiss ang ganung klase na import.

Ibang klase din talaga ang import nun. Chris King. Napaka versatile. Siya nagdala sa ginebra sa finals nung 1997. Remember that 2nd ot win against SMB. Maglalaro kahit may injury. Kakamiss ang ganung klase na import.

Ibang klase din talaga ang import nun. Chris King. Napaka versatile. Siya nagdala sa ginebra sa finals nung 1997. Remember that 2nd ot win against SMB. Maglalaro kahit may injury. Kakamiss ang ganung klase na import.

He reminded me of Joe Ward with an attitude and better D. Chris averaged 7.9 pts in his nba career. That is something.

More on Othyus Jeffers. Sunday na ang dating netong import, and sabak agad ng Monday morning practice.

On other news, the Hodge + Ellis and 2nd round pick has been scrapped (for now).

Another thing, Tim Cone focusing on Greg's upper body strength now. Apparently, CTC wants a direct involvement in Greg's off season training rather than ipaubaya ito sa iba.

Smells like a BIG improvement on our end. Another step towards that championship.

More on Othyus Jeffers. Sunday na ang dating netong import, and sabak agad ng Monday morning practice.

On other news, the Hodge + Ellis and 2nd round pick has been scrapped (for now).

Another thing, Tim Cone focusing on Greg's upper body strength now. Apparently, CTC wants a direct involvement in Greg's off season training rather than ipaubaya ito sa iba.

Smells like a BIG improvement on our end. Another step towards that championship.

This will really be a big improvement for greg...and if we're lucky for us ginebra fans...if youre a junemar fan( i am) ...he jumps for the ball with both hands...good footwork...Fit and good body...while our boy greg...jumps and reach for the ball with one hand(hence kayang kaya kahit ni abueva or kramer).. Moves his upper body lang instead of his feet kaya nawawala sa lugar...and parang awkward yun katawan(parang katawan ni feihl)...hopefully matransform ni tim cone si greg...

As for the other bigs natin...si japhet...ala bang balita kung tutukan din ni cone ito? Or babatukan nalang?

Edited by azraelmd