Barangay Ginebra Kings

slyfox

10801949_10153896083668327_2187172471922

Ginebra misses Greg Slaughter more than ever.

For the 2015 Governor’s Cup, Barangay Ginebra San Miguel has made a ton of changes. From getting a new head coach and trading a couple of players, the Barangay is determined to make this conference count.

However, Ginebra currently has a 1-3 record and can be found in the back end of the standings. For a franchise as powerful and as storied as Ginebra, a 1-3 record is usually the time to start wondering what the heck is going on. Pretty much like the previous conferences, the Governor’s Cup elimination format leaves no room for error. An awful record in the beginning could bite you in the ass when you try to get into the quarterfinals later on.

Despite the coaching change and player movement of this San Miguel Corp. franchise, there is one player that deserves to be the center (pun, intended) of attention – Greg Slaughter.

Obviously, without Slaughter, Ginebra is lacking scoring, defense in the paint, and rebounding. Their team is clearly missing the big man’s 15-20 points a game and 10-plus rebounds. In the Commissioner’s Cup, Slaughter averaged 16.2 ppg while attempting 12 shots per outing, both of which were career-highs for him. His rebounding numbers dipped a bit, but he was still able to grab almost 10 a game. Japeth Aguilar also contributes well for Ginebra, but the loss of Greg Slaughter is a bigger concern.

On the defensive end, Ginebra is allowing an average of 47 percent shooting from their opponents. Even in their lone win against KIA, they surrendered 46.8 percent. Ginebra misses Slaughter’s 1.3 blocks per game and his mere presence in the paint can alter shots as well.

The void left by the numbers provided by Slaughter are strongly felt by the team. It’s no wonder their import Orlando Johnson is having to put up those 40-point outbursts. More than the double-doubles of Greg-zilla, Ginebra’s flow on both offense and defense has been rattled.

No rebounds, no possessions, no run ‘n gun game

In Ginebra’s four games, they only won the rebounding battle once, against the Blackwater Elite. Even against Kia, their sole win so far, they were only able to grab 39 while the Carnival brought down 56.

The run ‘n gun style of Ginebra stems from securing the ball, pushing it before the defense sets up, and attacking quickly. It’s simple but at the same time complicated. Without someone like Greg Slaughter or even a Japeth Aguilar, Ginebra is forced to gang-rebound. If everyone is lurking in the paint for a carom, the guards and the wing players can’t leak out into transition.

Coach Frankie Lim’s team is relatively “okay” in terms of fastbreak points. And when I say “okay” I mean that their fastbreak game is just like any other team’s in the league. They run when they have the opportunity to run and always try to find easy baskets. Their numbers on the break don’t jump out at you, and their opponents don’t really feel threatened by their so-called run ‘n gun pace.

When Slaughter finally gets into the mix, he can secure the rebound and provide some nifty outlet passes to an LA Tenorio or Sol Mercado. Speaking of Mercado, it’s too early to say if he’s a perfect fit for Ginebra, but I really like the way he attacks the basket. Turn the ball over against him and it’s a guaranteed two points for Ginebra. Mercado has a lot of potential in Frankie Lim’s system and Slaughter’s inclusion in the rotation will be a big plus.

Ginebra’s new era

If they lose early, Ginebra can have a different coach or a totally new set of players after this conference. The management, as well as the fans, all want a championship as soon as possible. Whatever happens in the foreseeable future and no matter how many players they trade, I feel that Greg Slaughter will be part of Ginebra for the long run.

Right now, it’s still Mark Caguioa and Jayjay Helterbrand’s team. Ginebra’s main strength for the longest time has been their backcourt. Aside from Caguioa and Helterband, they still have Tenorio, Josh Urbiztondo, Emman Monfort, and not to mention Mercado. They live and die by their guards and wing players.

The only problem is that Caguioa and Helterbrand are not the same players anymore. They may still be the most popular backcourt in the league, but their speed and agility have already left them a couple of conferences back. The other guards like Urbiztondo and Monfort are not consistent scorers, and for Tenorio to be effective, he needs a post player he can dump the ball into. Mercado is great at slashing to the rim, but he’s no longer the type that averages 20 points a game.

Ginebra has their “Twin Towers” in Aguilar and Slaughter, but even in past conferences, they don’t use the two as much as they should. Oftentimes Slaughter gets his touches at the beginning of the game but then Ginebra’s offense shifts into a different direction by the fourth period, leaving fans to wonder, “Why aren’t they giving the ball back to Greg?”

The league in general is already shifting into using more big men or at the very least having more options in the post. San Miguel has June Mar Fajardo. NLEX have Enrio Villanueva, Asi Taulava, and import Kwame Alexander. Take for example also PJ Ramos for the KIA Carnival last conference. It’s no fluke they won a couple of games last conference. Ramos was simply too big and too dominant.

Think about it. Aside from June Mar Fajardo, which other post player has the potential to be as towering as Greg Slaughter? Ginebra has one of the most dominant big men right now in the PBA! Slaughter has the complete combination of post moves, mid-range, rebounding, defense, and a winner’s attitude. It’s a shame if they don’t maximize his abilities.

Greg Slaughter coming back to the line-up should increase their win total by at least a few games, likely enough to book a place in the quarterfinals. I believe Slaughter is that good and can be that empowering.

It’s only Slaughter’s second season but he is Ginebra’s next franchise player. You know what, he probably is right now but the old Ginebra faithful is just too scared to disregard Mark Caguioa. I’m not saying that Caguioa should retire, but I’m saying the spotlight should now shift.

Caguioa can still be the heart and soul while Slaughter could be “the guy” for the team. Just as the Beermen are revolving their lineup and creating their offense to build around Fajardo, Ginebra should do the same.

Ginebra may not realize it fully or maybe they don’t care to admit it just yet, but they’re missing Greg Slaughter more than ever. -- Yoyo Sarmenta

I agree.... but them missing greg should not be a reason...the old ginebra of jaworski did not have a menk, an aquino nor a greg.... but they defended well and they rebounded as a team..

http://hoops.ph/never-say-die-ginebra-fans-should-exercise-patience/

Waiting for 7 years.... if its not patience, i do not know what to call it....smc had upgraded purefoods and san miguel... pero ang ginebra, b3came stagnant at ginulo pa w the coaching changes... now someone is telling fans to be patient? After 7 long years.... he is asking fans to be patient?

baka grade 5 pa lang yung player na mag papa champion sa aten..ibig sabihin mga 13 years more pa hihintayin naten hehehe. dinadaan ko na lang sa biro pero nakakaurat na nga.

Waiting for 7 years.... if its not patience, i do not know what to call it....smc had upgraded purefoods and san miguel... pero ang ginebra, b3came stagnant at ginulo pa w the coaching changes... now someone is telling fans to be patient? After 7 long years.... he is asking fans to be patient?

baka grade 5 pa lang yung player na mag papa champion sa aten..ibig sabihin mga 13 years more pa hihintayin naten hehehe. dinadaan ko na lang sa biro pero nakakaurat na nga.

Tama ka brod... nakakaurat na nga... tapos makakbasa ka pa ng article na para bang kulang sa suporta ang mga kabaranggay....

Di ko alam kung kabaranggay yung nagsulat o pakawala na naman ng management...

For me winning a single championship is still under achieving... with that line up, they should aim to equal if not surpass Crispa's 6 straigth

Edited by *kalel*

Tama ka brod... nakakaurat na nga... tapos makakbasa ka pa ng article na para bang kulang sa suporta ang mga kabaranggay....

For me winning a single championship is still under achieving... with that line up, they should aim to equal if not surpass Crispa's 6 straigth

buong buo pa din ang suporta ng barangay pero syempre mga tao lang din tayo na may hangganan.

buong buo pa din ang suporta ng barangay pero syempre mga tao lang din tayo na may hangganan.

nanalo rin.. sulit puyat... 93-81

parang masyado lang babad si marcelo.... ako lang ba o pangit tawag ng mga refs?

iba yung maturity nung oj... hindi basta napipikon...

lumalaban yung brondial sa sa loose ball at rebound

ganda nung defensive adjustment sa import ng ros

GINEBRA 93 – Johnson 25, Caguioa 21, Tenorio 20, Aguilar 15, Marcelo 5, Baracael 5, Brondial 2, Urbiztondo 0, Mercado 0, Pena 0, Tungalag 0.

RAIN OR SHINE 81 – McKines 35, Lee 10, Cruz Jericho 9, Arana 9, Norwood 5, Cruz Jervy 4, Uyloan 2, Ibanes 2, Tang 2, Almazan 2, Quinahan 1, Belga 0.

Nag collapse na naman from 20 point lead ng Barangay biglang lumamang ng tatlo ang ROS. Yan monumental collapse parati ang perennial problem ng team. Buti na lang at nakabalik si Japeth at umandar ang run and gun.

ginamit ba si sanchir?

Yup...sandali lang...

Oh wait sinagot na pala ni daphne...

pero for me...id prefer na mas malaki sana PT nya...sakit sa mata na panoorin yun titira ng outside shot si caguioa...tapos sablay...rebound ng kalaban...fastbreak..dadaan sa harap ni caguioa na ala cyang magawa...tho maayos laro nya kagabi..dami nga lang sablay na tira sa labas...pasalamat cya medyo pagod sina arana and uyloan...pati nga si jericho cruz nagdradrive ng harap harapn pag nakikita si caguioa ang bantay eh hehehe...

Medyo babad nga yung marcelo... nung lumamang ng 20, madamidami syang error at missed shots kaya medyo nakahabol ang ros nun...

Ok yung brondial, nakikipagpalitan ng mukha para sa rebound at loose ball...

pagbalik ni Greg sa game vs. SMB for sure mababawasan na ang minuto nitong si Marcelo. FL wants to justify his acquisition by giving lots of minutes wanting the guy to show potential and justice to that trade (if there is any, until now i see none). Mas madami pa nga ang rebound sa kanya ni Tenorio.

I really like the way JJ is playing - CHESS

Edited by daphne loves derby

Salamat naman at nanalo against ros, at least ros is a tough teams kesa sa kia, bad trip lang nasilat pa sa blackwater. Nakaka-asar si Dave Marcelo, putik sinayang si Mamaril for this player na pag binigyan mo ng bola fumble, pag sa defense naman puro foul ang lang ang alam, i'd rather go for Mamaril or JR Reyes na maski me edad ay 'di mo matatawaran sa depensa. Si Peña naman ganun din, matanda na, kung nakuha s'ya ng Ginebra around 7-10 years ago pwede pa, Dave Marcelo suck! Mas ok pa siguro kung si Jake Pascual ang kinuha nila, at least he's an offensive option, si Marcelo fave lang ni FL sa SBC kaya andyan eh

Edited by Agent_mulder

pagbalik ni Greg sa game vs. SMB for sure mababawasan na ang minuto nitong si Marcelo. FL wants to justify his acquisition by giving lots of minutes wanting the guy to show potential and justice to that trade (if there is any, until now i see none). Mas madami pa nga ang rebound sa kanya ni Tenorio.

I really like the way JJ is playing - CHESS

hihihi! Pinararamdam na dapat ng mag retire

• Like (+1) 1