Barangay Ginebra Kings

slyfox

i miss this era!

====================================================

Fighting spirit inside! Jawo has "the" players during that time. After that medyo nawala yung magic ni Jawo as Ginebra recorded the most number of losses in a season or two. Give Jawo the right kind of players (not necessarily the greatest) and he will surely delivery. I wonder if today, with the present crop of Ginebra players, what will happen kung si Bobby ang coach. Parang hinahanap ng mga Barangay players and fans ang "rah" "rah" or "run-and-gun" plays. With the likes of Caguioa, Helterbrand, Intal and Cortez, the rookies, parang yun ang hinahanap nila.

====================================================

Fighting spirit inside! Jawo has "the" players during that time. After that medyo nawala yung magic ni Jawo as Ginebra recorded the most number of losses in a season or two. Give Jawo the right kind of players (not necessarily the greatest) and he will surely delivery. I wonder if today, with the present crop of Ginebra players, what will happen kung si Bobby ang coach. Parang hinahanap ng mga Barangay players and fans ang "rah" "rah" or "run-and-gun" plays. With the likes of Caguioa, Helterbrand, Intal and Cortez, the rookies, parang yun ang hinahanap nila.

well those were the years. bobby J was able to squeeze out the best in all his players...the likes of gonzalgo, rey cuenco, mamaril, loyzaga brothers hanggang sa mga kapanahunan nina noli boy locsin, vince hizon, bal david and marlou. even the gangling ej feihl and distrito had their best moments under the tutelage of the big j. can you just imagine the big j handling the likes of caguioa, helterbrand, tubid, cortez, intal, canaleta...aba sigurado masaya ang barangay. unfortunately, we'll have to do with the tandem of siot and jong for now.

Just arrived home from a watching a frustrating game ng Ginebra sa Araneta. Talo! One of those days na yung isang team napaka swerte maski sa rebounds at loose balls tapos yung isang team saksakan ng malas. Napansin ko lang sa dalawang team na ito....Barakos and Barangay.....before the start of the game (sa warm up) and before the start of the second half, naghaharutan yung mga players ng dalawang teams. Nagkukwentuhan, nagtatawanan, may naghahabulan pa! Bakit ganun sila ka close? And in that particular game, lumabas na naman yung kakulangan ng height ng Barangay.

Just arrived home from a watching a frustrating game ng Ginebra sa Araneta. Talo! One of those days na yung isang team napaka swerte maski sa rebounds at loose balls tapos yung isang team saksakan ng malas. cNapansin ko lang sa dalawang team na ito....Barakos and Barangay.....before the start of the game (sa warm up) and before the start of the second half, naghaharutan yung mga players ng dalawang teams. Nagkukwentuhan, nagtatawanan, may naghahabulan pa! Bakit ganun sila ka lose? And in that particular game, lumabas na naman yung kakulangan ng height ng Barangay.

yan ang nakaka-frustrate sa pba ngayon. parang walang sense of urgency na manalo. unlike yung era ng 70's hanggang 90's. katulad ng naka-post kong games between ginebra and smb sa taas. walang sister-sister team! talagang bakbakan!

kaya ako bihira na din manood ng pba. mababa na kasi ang quality ng games. at lalong di ako manonood ng live. sayang pera ;)

Sarap pag uumpugin yung mga ulo ng management and coaching staff ng Ginebra sana magising na sila sa realidad na ang tatanda na ng lineup nila lumayo ang Barako Bull kahapon nung nakakatakbo na sila at hindi nakakahabol ang Ginebra at kung kukuha sila sa draft sana gamitin nila kundi wag nalang sila kumuha sa draft sinasayang lang nila pagkakataon.

Labagala's the only one doing the rah rah brand of play. Gusto ni Helterbrandt. Tibid at Caguioa ng ganun plays kaya lang na fu frustrate sila sa kabagalan ng ibang teammates nila. Kitang kita mo sa itsura sa mukha ni MC yung kanyang disappointment. Itong si Yancy, pinasok nga, wala na namang nagawa. Si rookie Wilson, parang tinatamad kasi may lumabas na balita i t trade na siya. Ang mga fighters na lang sina Mamaril at Intal pero they cannot cope up with the run and gun employed by the coach of the Barakos.

Those were the good old days of Ginebra, no superstars just a bunch of rag tag players na ayaw ng ibang teams and yet they won the hearts of many basketball fans....

absolutely...why? because mr. jaworski squeezed out the best from his players. imagine the beanpoled mamaril having the greatest moments of his life under jaworski?...ampalayo playing sick in a very crucial game. iba talaga magdala si big j ng mga players niya. and this is why ginebra had its legions of fans. ngayon? marami pa din naman kaso marami na din ang nadidismaya. sabi nga ni photographer may naghaharutan at nagbibiruan bago maglaro. di pwede kay jawo yan :)

absolutely...why? because mr. jaworski squeezed out the best from his players. imagine the beanpoled mamaril having the greatest moments of his life under jaworski?...ampalayo playing sick in a very crucial game. iba talaga magdala si big j ng mga players niya. and this is why ginebra had its legions of fans. ngayon? marami pa din naman kaso marami na din ang nadidismaya. sabi nga ni photographer may naghaharutan at nagbibiruan bago maglaro. di pwede kay jawo yan :)

That's why even Benjie Paras wanted to play for Ginebra when his contract with shell expired but was prevented from doing so (by the shell management) with the so-called "right of first refusal" clause back then. Paras played under Jaworski sa RP Team which finished second to Asian powerhouse China in 1990. Though sabi ng iba ginamit lang na dahilan ni Paras 'yun to seek a much higher salary from shell but I truly believed that he wanted to play under Jawo. Regarding the harutan at nagbibiruan, well, I guess that is due to the fact that Salvacion and Artadi used to play for Ginebra while Villanueva started his career with barako bull though 'di talaga pwede kay Jawo 'yan. Heck, kung naging varsity player lang ako noon syempre gusto kong maglaro para sa Ginebra hehe.

Khilua23, read this message of yours sa PBA thread. Copy and paste ko lang dito coz, am sure, the Barangay loves its players, as well as, their family. Para lang ma inform sila dito. Thanks

PLEASE PRAY FOR THE SPEEDY RECOVERY OF MRS. CHRISTINE BAYER MAMARIL, WIFE OF BILLY MAMARIL...

BILLY MAMARIL: Bigla na lang siyang nag collapse. Tapos nag seizure kaya tinakbo ko agad siya sa hospital 12 midnight kagabi. Rare illness.

BILLY MAMARIL: ICU pa si Christine. Ino-obserbahan siya. PLEASE PRAY NA MAGISING SIYA w/in 72hrs. I know gigising siya. Please pray for it.

BILLY MAMARIL: Wala siyang sakit o history ng high blood. Bigla lang siya nawalan malay. She's only 28. Please pray for her. We need it.

BILLY MAMARIL: Di pa rin alam ng mga duktor kung ano nangyari. ICU pa siya kaya hindi pa ma-test. With your prayers, I know she'll wake up.

BILLY MAMARIL: I've been seeing how people pass around the prayer movement for my wife. Salamat sa inyo. Please, ituloy niyo lang.

BILLY MAMARIL: Natatanggap ko ung mga text & messages ng mga kaibigan at fans. Tell them I read them. Talagang nakatutok lang ako kay misis.

Khilua23, read this message of yours sa PBA thread. Copy and paste ko lang dito coz, am sure, the Barangay loves its players, as well as, their family. Para lang ma inform sila dito. Thanks

PLEASE PRAY FOR THE SPEEDY RECOVERY OF MRS. CHRISTINE BAYER MAMARIL, WIFE OF BILLY MAMARIL...

BILLY MAMARIL: Bigla na lang siyang nag collapse. Tapos nag seizure kaya tinakbo ko agad siya sa hospital 12 midnight kagabi. Rare illness.

BILLY MAMARIL: ICU pa si Christine. Ino-obserbahan siya. PLEASE PRAY NA MAGISING SIYA w/in 72hrs. I know gigising siya. Please pray for it.

BILLY MAMARIL: Wala siyang sakit o history ng high blood. Bigla lang siya nawalan malay. She's only 28. Please pray for her. We need it.

BILLY MAMARIL: Di pa rin alam ng mga duktor kung ano nangyari. ICU pa siya kaya hindi pa ma-test. With your prayers, I know she'll wake up.

BILLY MAMARIL: I've been seeing how people pass around the prayer movement for my wife. Salamat sa inyo. Please, ituloy niyo lang.

BILLY MAMARIL: Natatanggap ko ung mga text & messages ng mga kaibigan at fans. Tell them I read them. Talagang nakatutok lang ako kay misis.

thanks! darating din ang trade na hinihintay ng mga ka-barangay.. pero sa ngayon, ito muna sana ang ipagdasal natin..

“I can’t put a finger on it if you ask me about the Ginebra mystique,” he said. “We play with a gung-ho attitude, that whatever happens, we’re out there playing with all our heart, with our guts out. I think we play with an attitude, a swagger. As for our style of play, I call it controlled confusion. We try to put a structure in our system but in the end, we let the players go. Even a coach like Tim Cone who uses the triangle realizes that sometimes, you’ve got to let go. I remember when coach Jong first joined Ginebra, he complained of gas pains because of the way our players went out there to do their thing during a pre-season game in Brunei. It’s a little bit of ‘larong kalye.’”

Tanquingcen said he traces the roots of Ginebra’s mystique to the Robert Jaworski era. “Nobody was as charismatic as Sen. Jaworski,” he said. “He started it all with Ginebra and we’re just trying to carry it over. The fans identify with Ginebra, the way we play with our never-say-die attitude. We’re the underdogs. Talent for talent, we’re not as competitive as other teams. But we’ve got fighting spirit, we’ve got heart. Our Fil-Ams like Mark (Caguioa) and Jay-Jay don’t really look like Fil-Ams, they look Pinoy, so fans identify with them more easily.”

http://www.philstar.com/thedeanscorner/articlescontent.aspx?articleid=738587&publicationsubcategoryid=69

Co-coaching pala sila Siot at Jong (altho Siot is the one who makes the final decision)...Parang mahirap yata ang scheme na ito. It's better to identify the head coach, and tag the other as Consultant or Asst. Coach.

I dunno if this is being practiced elsewhere, outside RP basketball leagues...

BILLY MAMARIL: Christine had some minor improvement but still being assisted by a ventilator and has not woken up. Please continue praying.

i wouldn't be surprised if barako bull becomes the new darling of the pba with its never-say-die brand of basketball. after bringing down ginebra last friday then TnT last night, this team composed of rag-tag players (para ngang united nations ito eh...may players na nanggaling sa san miguel...meron sa ginebra...meron sa purefoods) and two dependable rookies might just go a long way this conference.

i wouldn't be surprised if barako bull becomes the new darling of the pba with its never-say-die brand of basketball. after bringing down ginebra last friday then TnT last night, this team composed of rag-tag players (para ngang united nations ito eh...may players na nanggaling sa san miguel...meron sa ginebra...meron sa purefoods) and two dependable rookies might just go a long way this conference.

OO nga, sa totoo lang, isa na ako sa humanga sa kanilang brand of plays and gang-ho style unlike sa nangyayari sa Ginebra ngayon, kapag hindi maganda plays, wala nang hi-fives at puro simangot ang mukha. Sa Barako, maski nalalamangan sila, nakatayo pa ang mga bench players at nagbibigay ng encouragement. Pati nga yung coach nilang si Baculi, kapag may nilalabas siyang player, puro tapik at akap ang inaabot ng player. Contrast naman yan sa Ginebra of today mas lalo ang ugali ni Coach Absentee na hindi namamansin. Ginebra should watch out and guard their invincibility sa crowds and fans! Nuong nanood ako Ginebra vs. Barako, mas malakas na ang sigawan sa Barako kaysa sa Ginebra. Nuong naghahabol Ginebra, nawala na yung Ginebra! Ginebra! Ginebra! Gising, Mr. Cojuangco! Baka umpisa na yan ng erosion ng fan base ng favorite team natin!