Barangay Ginebra Kings

slyfox

fr pba.ph

As much as Tim Cone would have loved to build a second installment of “The Fast and The Furious,” the Barangay Ginebra coach said picking forward Kevin Ferrer over guard Jio Jalalon boiled down to addressing the Gin Kings’ needs.

Fans clamored for a Jalalon team up with Scottie Thompson in what would be a young version of the team’s iconic tandem of Mark Caguioa and Jayjay Helterbrand, who are already nearing the end of their celebrated careers.

“It becomes to us, ‘What do we do with [Jalalon]? What do we do when we play him with LA (Tenorio), Scottie, and Jayjay (Helterbrand)?’ We’re just overloaded,” Cone said Sunday during the 2016 PBA Rookie Draft at Robinsons Place Manila.

“From a coaching standpoint, in terms of chemistry, you don’t want to overload the talent in one position. Then it becomes a competition between great players and you end up sitting your great players on the bench instead of having them on the floor,” he added.

There’s no questioning Jalalon’s talent and potential, but Cone thinks adding the former Arellano University star just won’t make sense given that the Gin Kings already have a deep guard rotation with LA Tenorio, Sol Mercado, Thompson, Caguioa and Helterbrand.

“So our fear with getting someone like Jalalon was he would have to share time with LA and Scottie and they all share time, and you got great players sitting on the bench and you don’t want to have that.”

Still, that doesn’t discount Cone’s elation with the Gin Kings’ selection of Kevin Ferrer from the Gilas round as they addressed their urgent need in the wing position for a three-and-D forward.

“I made it clear that that’s the guy we’re looking for. But I wasn’t sure we were going to get him, so when they called back to say we got him, I was very happy,” he said. “Ferrer really fills out a role for us, something we can see.”

The two-time Grand Slam-winning mentor is also hoping that this rookie selection, especially with the Ferrer acquisition, would help Ginebra sustain its run at the top this upcoming PBA season.

“We hope we can win some championship with him,” he said.

Si greg ang kumuha ng picture hehe

hahaha...

Not from Angeles but of Dennis Pineda of Lubao, Pampanga. He still has in his stable high schools 6'9" Baltazar who was judged Finals MVP sa UAAP Juniors Championship with N.U. at yuong isa almost 6'11" Pangalangan. Both ipapasok niya sa La Salle.

Malamang may selfie stick yuong kumuha ng picture.................:-)

Thanks for the correction...

Ganda ng mga prospects in the next 5 years..

Theres a rumor of paolo taha going to ginebra for villamor and bonifacio

OT: RR to SMB, Ramos to Star and Arana+Mallari to Mahindra

Mahindra trades Paolo Taha to Ginebra for seldom-used back-ups Villamor, Bonifacio

Mahindra trades Paolo Taha to Ginebra for seldom-used back-ups Villamor, Bonifacio

Paolo Taha impressed last season with Mahindra. Jaime Campos

IN yet another puzzling offseason trade by Mahindra, the three-year franchise shipped rising wingman Paolo Taha in a two-for-one trade with reigning PBA Governors Cup champion Barangay Ginebra.

In exchange for Taha, one of the key players in the Floodbuster's rotation last season, Mahindra got seldon used back-up players Franklin Bonifacio and Denice Villamor.

Taha has yet to be notified about the move, although the trade, according to sources, has already been approved by the Commissioner's Office.

Taha is the latest key player to be let go by Mahindra this offseason after Aldrech Ramos, KG Canaleta, and Bradwyn Guinto - three of the most dependable players in its rotation.

Read more at http://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/news/paolo-taha-to-ginebra-bonifacio-villamor-trade-mahindra#6rQkYX2FmU5I4aY8.99

any news? trade talks?

sana wala na trade na mangyari sa #NSD ko

almost complete na at solid yung roster natin from PG-Center

PG-LA Tenorio/JJ Helterbrand/Paolo Taha
SG-Mark Caguioa/Scottie Thompson/Sol Mercado
SF-Joe Devance/Kevin Ferrer/Chris Ellis/Mariano
PF-Japhet Aguilar/Jervy Cruz/Jammer Jamito
C-Greg Slaugther/Dave Marcelo/Jericho De Guzman

Thank you RSA.. Thank you AFChua.. Thank you CTC and coaching staff..

#WeAreOneGinebra

any news? trade talks?

#WeAreOneGinebra

Si El Granada? Kaso medyo wala na yuong dating bagsik ng kamay niya. Unrestricted free agent na siya tinaggal na sa San Miguel.Maximum pala sweldo niya? Parang lugi San Miguel duon. And I heard medyo meron atang problema sa character niya.

any news? trade talks?

#WeAreOneGinebra

Never saw a Gins line up as solid as this since circa 2001-2008

Btw, me asim pa ba si vmack sa 2nd conference? 6'10" daw height limit...

Edited by *kalel*

Never saw a Gins line up as solid as this since circa 2001-2008

Btw, me asim pa ba si vmack sa 2nd conference? 6'10" daw height limit...

This is a big possibility, lalo na at maganda rin naman ang inilalaro ni VMack nung recent stint nya with Mighty Sports.

If Slaughter is still recuperating at the time, getting him is a + for the team.

• Like (+1) 1

This is a big possibility, lalo na at maganda rin naman ang inilalaro ni VMack nung recent stint nya with Mighty Sports.

If Slaughter is still recuperating at the time, getting him is a + for the team.

Pero..IMO get a marcus thornton type of player, that way was solid lineup natin, with our two bigs and our import at SF...pag nde pRin pwede si greg, wag na si V-mack get a younger import...

Mas excited ako sa all pinoy....kahit ilang governors cup or import laden cup pa ipanalo nila...for me pinaka holy grail ang all pinoy eh...

Pero..IMO get a marcus thornton type of player, that way was solid lineup natin, with our two bigs and our import at SF...pag nde pRin pwede si greg, wag na si V-mack get a younger import...

Mas excited ako sa all pinoy....kahit ilang governors cup or import laden cup pa ipanalo nila...for me pinaka holy grail ang all pinoy eh...

Agree... pero sana sa all pinoy, me gamot na sa 3 ball... either offense or defense... yung sf would be critical... ellis and ferrer need to really step up...

Sa import laden-conference, i think si jbl would be tapped in the next 2 years... either sa 2nd or 3rd conf...or pwede ring sa 2 conferences... upon greg's return, we have two 7-footers who can patrol the paint and we have japeth and probably jamito...

• Like (+1) 1