Barangay Ginebra Kings

slyfox

Greg Slaughter will miss Commissioner’s Cup opener due to measles. He will be on a 5 to 7 rest days to recover and it is not sure that he can attend the first two games.

Meanwhile, while he is recovering, Japeth Aguilar will be occupying his slot with the back up of Dave Marcelo and Jervy Cruz.

Let us pray for his fast recovery. Get well soon Gregzilla!

12243240_10154009860434758_5529068149099

http://hoops.ph/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/jeffers-3.png

Othyus Jeffers finally getting rhythm, says Tim Cone

By Richard Dy | FOX Sports PH
February 4, 2016 — 6:31PM

After hitting a game-winner in their tuneup game versus Star, Barangay Ginebra import Othyus Jeffers is already getting his rhythm since being out from basketball for quite a while, according to coach Tim Cone.

“I thought he (Jeffers) played with a lot of aggression today (Thursday). We still feel he has a bunch of ways and levels to go,” said Cone of Jeffers, who took care of his trucking business in the United States.

“We’re really excited with him because he gives us different look from the other teams, so it’s a tougher adjustment for the other teams to adjust to us, rather than us adjusting to them.”

The Ginebra coach noted that the 6-foot-5 Jeffers has yet to show his true potential since arriving two weeks ago.

But what excites him was the fact that the former Robert Morris standout will only get better as he plays more games, hopeful that he’d be able to get back to his sharp form that made him the 2014 NBA D-League MVP.

“He last played in the NBA Summer League. He is working himself back into shape and he’s a little probably 5-day pound overweight but that stuff will shed quickly,” explained Cone.

“He’s not here for short-term but he’ll be here for the second and third conferences,” he added.

“I’ve seen him at his best when he was MVP at D-League. I know what he can do. We haven’t seen his best yet, so the best is yet to come for him.”

Edited by Hari ng Spakol

12631378_1545970652396674_26931185544778

A second chance: Othyus Jeffers raring to win title for Ginebra

February 9, 2016 • 5:34PM

Othyus Jeffers has some unfinished business in the PBA.

Jeffers was spectacular in his lone PBA game, collecting 38 points, 13 rebounds, and 2 steals to lead Talk 'N Text to a 105-99 victory over sister team Meralco in the 2014 Governors' Cup.

The NBA veteran, though, hurriedly left the country after a contract dispute with the Minnesota Timberwolves prevented him from staying longer.

"I feel like I owe them (Talk 'N Text) since the last time I was here I wasn't able to finish due to a contract problem, but I'm grateful for the opportunity that Ginebra gave me. I'm really excited to go out there, play and re-pay their trust," Jeffers told FOX Sports.

While Jeffers is the shortest import this conference at 6-foot-5, his resume isn't lacking in big accomplishments.

After going undrafted in the NBA in 2008, Jeffers went on to become the NBA D-League Rookie of the Year in 2009 and boasts career averages of 19.0 points, 8.3 rebounds, 3.1 assists, 1.9 steals and 35.8 minutes in 185 games.

He became the co-MVP 5 years later after leading the Iowa Energy to the Central Division title and 3rd overall in the league after averaging a team-high 20.9 points (8th-best in the NBA D-League), 9.9 rebounds (4th) and 2.2 steals (5th).

He was a 3-time All-Star and 2-time All-Defensive team member in the NBA's developmental league.

His solid NBA D-League credentials earned him call-ups to play for the Utah Jazz, the Washington Wizards, the San Antonio Spurs and the Minnesota Timberwolves for 5 seasons.

Jeffers has played under Greg Popovich, who like Tim Cone, demands and squeezes the best out of his players.

"He's straight to the point. He's militant, he understands what he wants and wants nothing but the best. He wants the offense to create for everyone and once the stars realize it, you can work it to your advantage," said Jeffers of Cone's style of coaching.

"My teammates are helping me out with the triangle. It's new to me. But there's not a task that can't be done so I will go out there and try my best," he added.

Jeffers sees no problem being the shortest import and instead looks forward to use it to his advantage.

"I played in the NBA with a lot taller guys so it's not new to me. They can say that I'm going to be mismatched but I'm also going to be one who will give them mismatch (at the wings) and we have two of the best big men in the league," said Jeffers.

Greg Slaughter is coming off his best conference in the PBA while Cone openly said he will use him and Japeth Aguilar's size and athleticism to guard the opposing imports to ease up the defensive load on Jeffers.

He has not played a single official game yet for Ginebra but Jeffers is already brimming with excitement and confidence due to their large fan base.

"As soon as it was in the news that I'm going to Ginebra, my Twitter went crazy. The fans here are awesome. I hope to win 1 and have another opportunity in the 3rd conference to come back and win again," Jeffers said.

The Kings and their fans have been waiting for 8 years now to win a title. Jeffers waited 2 years for him to get his 2nd shot in the PBA.

The prolific import, who's been a proven winner, hopes to finish the job done the 2nd time around.

Edited by Hari ng Spakol

Malas wala pala si Greg

Greg Slaughter out with measles as Ginebra makes Commissioner's Cup debut vs NLEX

BARANGAY Ginebra will miss its best big man when begins its PBA Commissioner’s Cup campaign on Friday night against NLEX at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum. The Gin Kings, who had a rough start in their first conference under coach Tim Cone in the Philippine Cup, are without measles-stricken Greg Slaughter for possibly the first two games, starting with the Road Warriors at 7 p.m. “Our immediate goal is to get off to a quicker start to the conference, but with Greg down with measles and possibly missing the first two games, we’ll be hard pressed to reach that goal,” Cone said in a text message to Spin.ph on the eve of their debut. “Still, we have a lot of faith in our depth and the guys we have,” the Grand Slam mentor was quick to add. “We feel there is a good chance we won’t miss a beat.” The Gin Kings, who barely missed a semifinal spot in the all-Filipino conference, are expected to lean heavily on import Othyus Jeffers and from the rest of their local crew led by LA Tenorio, Mark Caguioa, Japeth Aguilar, and Scottie Thompson. “Just like everybody, we’re excited for the start of this conference,” Cone said. The Road Warriors are also excited with the return of prolific reinforcement Al Thornton, who tries to lead the Boyet Fernandez-coached team in at least matching its fifth-place finish in the last Commissioner’s Cup. GlobalPort and Mahindra face off in the curtain-raiser at 4:15 p.m.

Read more at: http://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/news/greg-slaughter-out-with-measles-as-ginebra-makes-commissioners-cup-debut-vs-nlex