Pba's Best Teams

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Three teams and four coaches have achieved the Grand Slam feat:

Season Team Coach Defeated finalists Season record

1976 Crispa Redmanizers Baby Dalupan Toyota Toyota Toyota 47-15 (.758)

1983 Crispa Redmanizers Tommy Manotoc Gilbey's Great Taste Great Taste 46-16 (.742)

1989 San Miguel Beermen Norman Black Shell Purefoods Añejo 50-21 (.704)

1996 Alaska Milkmen Tim Cone Purefoods Shell Ginebra 51-21 (.708)

In addition, several others won the first two conferences but were beaten on the last tournament. They are known as "The Pretenders".

1975 Toyota Tamaraws (lost to Crispa in the All-Philippine Championship)

1977 Crispa Redmanizers (lost to Toyota in the Invitational Conference)

1985 Great Taste Coffee Makers (missed Finals berth in the Reinforced Conference)

1986 Tanduay Rhum Masters (missed Finals berth in the Open Conference)

1995 Sunkist Orange Juicers (missed Finals berth in the Governors Cup)

1998 Alaska Milkmen (missed Finals berth in the Governors Cup)

2004 PBA Fiesta Conference to 2004–05 Barangay Ginebra Kings (missed Finals berth in the Fiesta Conference)

2010-11 Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters (lost to Petron in the Governors Cup)

In other instances, a team won three or even four consecutive conferences in two different seasons. Purists say this is not a true grand slam. These teams were:

1976-1977 Crispa Redmanizers (includes the 1976 All-Philippine Championship which was part of the 1976 Grand Slam)

1984-1985 Great Taste Coffee Makers (four straight championships)

1995-1996 Alaska Milkmen (four straight championship '95 Governor's Cup and '96 Grand Slam)

1997-1998 Alaska Milkmen (three straight championships)

2000-2001 San Miguel Beermen (three straight championships)

1975 toyota comets nearly had the first grand slam leading crispa 2-0 in the 3rd conference. dante silverio and his boys had 3 chances to nail the grandslam only to lose 3 straight games to baby dalupan's redmanizers.

Yes, but in 1986, I believe they won the Open conference with Super Bates and the Mighty Buckett. 1988 was sweeter because they beat a heavily favored Purefoods squad with the Captain, El Presidente, Codinera, and Jolas in that year's All-Filipino conference.

yes ginebra had the super duo of bates and hackett plus the big j, gonzalgo, distrito, loyzaga brothers and ampalayo who was then a rookie. if my memory serves me right, bates lost to michael young (?) for the best import award.

was patrimonio already part of the purefoods team which lost to ginebra in the 1988 AFC?

Yes, he was. Purefoods had a big and imposing frontline but Ginebra had the bigger heart. I remember Chito shutting down Fernandez in that series. If I'm not mstaken, si Ampalayo ang center ng Ginebra in that series and he is only 6'3, Chito is 6'2 and Gonzalgo is also 6'2. Purefoods had a 6'5, 6'4 and 6'3 frontline. They also had an upcoming superstar in Lastimosa. It puzzled me why Purefoods eventually traded Lastimosa to Alaska.

damn...not only an imposing frontline but a strong starting 5 as well. fernandez, codiñera, patrimonio, lastimosa...i think glen capacio was even a part of purefoods then. don't know about the bench...but then anytime you have these guys in one team, it must be a strong team. pero iba ang puso ng ginebra.

Yes, he was. Purefoods had a big and imposing frontline but Ginebra had the bigger heart. I remember Chito shutting down Fernandez in that series. If I'm not mstaken, si Ampalayo ang center ng Ginebra in that series and he is only 6'3, Chito is 6'2 and Gonzalgo is also 6'2. Purefoods had a 6'5, 6'4 and 6'3 frontline. They also had an upcoming superstar in Lastimosa. It puzzled me why Purefoods eventually traded Lastimosa to Alaska.

Yes, Glen Capacio was part of that team. The starting 5 of the Hotdogs that time were the four I mentioned plus Al Solis. They should not have let go of Jolas and Asaytono, who later blossomed with SMB. The Ginebra starting 5 that time were Ampalayo, the two Loyzagas, Gonzalgo and Jawo.

ang pg ata ng PF nuon si dindo di ba?

si Jolas kaya umalis kasi di sila magkasundo ni dalupan, si sanay si jolas sa free flowing game mas gusto nya may sistema

si asaytonon naman lack of playing time

Not to take anything away from Ginebra (or Anejo, as they were called then), but Purefoods, in 1988, was a team still in search of its identity. They were composed of great rookies (the aforementioned Cap, Jolas, Codinera and Capacio) and still serviceable veterans (Yango, Solis, Willie Gen, Padim, etc.). Plus Fernandez was a rookie coach. Being so successful in only its first season was already a feather in its cap. Ginebra/Anejo, on the other hand, was a battle-tested veteran team who have already won their share of championships. Lastly, Fernandez was again in the midst of game-fixing allegations and was benched halfway through the finals. He was traded for Guidaben the next conference.

^^ I know. And that's really due to the immense talent that the team possessed. Plus having one of the PBA's best imports in David Thirdkill. But as I've said, the team was still a bit lacking in chemistry and championship poise. Adding spice to the Anejo-Purefoods match-ups was the Jolas-Jawo tussles.

You're right that if Purefoods had kept all of their young bucks, they could've established a dynasty. Still, a succesful team can only have one true alpha dog - and Purefoods decided that it's gonna be Patrimonio. Cabahug (from Alaska via the Jolas trade) was a better complement to the inside pair of Alvin and Gerry. Same goes for Asaytono - who was too good just to be Patrimonio's backup.

No question about it, Alvin would have still been the franchise player even if Jolas and Asaytono stayed. In my opinion, he is the best PBA power forward of all-tiime. I think Jolas was the better compliment to Jerry and Alvin. Jolas can shoot the lights out from three point country and could slash. I mean if Fernandez stayed and the team was intact with the arrival of Pumaren and Asaytono, I think Purefoods would have lorded it over the PBA. They had the line-up to win 2 grand slams in the early part of the 1990s, in my opinion.

Codinera at the 5, Alvin at the 4 and Fernandez at the 3. Then you have Jolas at the 2 and Pumaren at the 1. That's some starting five. 6th man si Asaytono.

all-star cast...would've been a dynasty. :)

The 1988 Anejo team for me was one of the best all time.... they defeated a well built Purefoods team (Tanduay, if i remember it correctly sold their Team to the Ayalas) that was composed of solid veterans and top of the line rookies... on the other hand, only jaworski was the lone superstar of the team...

They also won the mini tournament of that season composed of foreign clubs....

• Like (+1) 1
  • 2 weeks later...

No question about it, Alvin would have still been the franchise player even if Jolas and Asaytono stayed. In my opinion, he is the best PBA power forward of all-tiime. I think Jolas was the better compliment to Jerry and Alvin. Jolas can shoot the lights out from three point country and could slash. I mean if Fernandez stayed and the team was intact with the arrival of Pumaren and Asaytono, I think Purefoods would have lorded it over the PBA. They had the line-up to win 2 grand slams in the early part of the 1990s, in my opinion.

Codinera at the 5, Alvin at the 4 and Fernandez at the 3. Then you have Jolas at the 2 and Pumaren at the 1. That's some starting five. 6th man si Asaytono.

Naalala ko ung isang game nila nung finals, lamang sila ng 7 less than 20secs sa kanila ang bola. Tumawag na time-out si DonRamon, ang sabi nya "ingat sa bola lamang tayo, san tayo kakain mamaya?"

Purefoods nung time na un has a complete lineup, pero u cant build a dynasty na puro superstar ang team.. idol ko pa c Jolas nun.. kaso nung nag alaska na sya naging idol ko na c cap.. cap showed a lot of heart and showed why he deserved to be the highest paid player.. Jerry compliments the game of cap, laging abang s jumpshot, defense lang.. tapos c Cabahug gnyan din, bullet namn puro pasa and defense lng..

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...