Best Nation In Basketball

pls correct me if im wrong. usa basketball program has been in place for a long time. jerry colangelo heads it, coach k is the head coach. from what i know, odom and chandler has been in team usa since 2006. they have a pool of players to tap whenever fiba world basketball championships and olympics comes. proof of this is when the majority of the superstars (wade, bryant, lebron, bosh who won gold in the beijing olympics 08') decided not to play, the reserves stepped in their place.

just wanted to point out that even a basketball powerhouse like the u.s. needs a basketball program to compete competitively in the international scene. i think they do not assemble a team in two months time and win the gold medal. theyve done that before and failed. theyve learned their lesson well so usa basketball program is in place.

well this is my take on the issue:

First and foremost, the selection process/program is different from the men's and the others (ie womens).

For men's basketball, since 1992 USA Basketball have a committee that names the country's representative to international tournaments. This is the first time they did not held a try-out. In 2005 Colangelo was named as Managing Director of USA BAsketball and on his shoulders fell the responsibility of forming a competitive team aimed at winning back the gold in the 2008 Beijing Olympics. He then named 33 of the best players to form part of the program with Coach K as the chief bench tactician.

There is the so-called "program" under Colangelo, but did these 33 guys train together since 2005? Well, those available did every NBA off season in preparation for the upcoming tournaments that year such as the 2006 FIBA World Championship, 2007 FIBA America (an Olympic qualifier) and the 2008 Beijing Olympics. But it's not always that the 33 get to play together and train together. A lot of stars would asked to be excuse in order to rest during the summer for whatever reason. Further, the team would only have at most 2 months to train together in the offseason and that's it.

On our end, sa totoo lang halos wala namang pinagkaiba sa "program" ng USA Basketball. The PBA when it was tasked to form the national team essentially has all the PBA players as well as the the option to tap the top amatures of the country to form the national men's basketball team. The PBA board appoints/selects its head coach and gave that person the sole authority to make the final composition of the team. They would also only train at most for 2 months in the off-season leading to the tournament. This is the program that supposedly the SBP wanted to do away with and insetad replace with the program which the NCC implemented.

With their so-called program, US was able to regain lost glory. Let's face it, the USA players in general are still a cut above the rest so that is one major consideration. Pitting 2 players, naturally the more talented one would probably need less time to train in order to reach competitive level. The less talented one will need to excert more time to be at par.

pls correct me if im wrong. usa basketball program has been in place for a long time. jerry colangelo heads it, coach k is the head coach. from what i know, odom and chandler has been in team usa since 2006. they have a pool of players to tap whenever fiba world basketball championships and olympics comes. proof of this is when the majority of the superstars (wade, bryant, lebron, bosh who won gold in the beijing olympics 08') decided not to play, the reserves stepped in their place.

just wanted to point out that even a basketball powerhouse like the u.s. needs a basketball program to compete competitively in the international scene. i think they do not assemble a team in two months time and win the gold medal. theyve done that before and failed. theyve learned their lesson well so usa basketball program is in place.

That's the dilemma that our national team was facing before Smart Gilas came into the picture. You assemble a team in two months while the other teams from other countries have been playing as a team for a long period of time. I know that USA basketball has been there for a long time. Correction Odom was a part of the Olympic team in 2004. He never played in the 2006 team. Chandler played for the 2006 team.

Even if the other teams clamped on Durant. You still have to worry about the other players on the team. Those other players are go the guys in their respective teams in the NBA. So stopping Durant alone won't derail the US team. I think they need to get a dominant big man for the Olympics. They had problems closing out Brazil in the early phases of the eliminations.

how about the 1992, 1994, 2000, 2003, 2007, 2008 USA basketball teams. They were just assembled in 2 to 3 months but they won the championship :) If they had any failures in the past it happened on the 1998 (no nba players), 2002, 2004,2006 teams.

well this is my take on the issue:

First and foremost, the selection process/program is different from the men's and the others (ie womens).

For men's basketball, since 1992 USA Basketball have a committee that names the country's representative to international tournaments. This is the first time they did not held a try-out. In 2005 Colangelo was named as Managing Director of USA BAsketball and on his shoulders fell the responsibility of forming a competitive team aimed at winning back the gold in the 2008 Beijing Olympics. He then named 33 of the best players to form part of the program with Coach K as the chief bench tactician.

There is the so-called "program" under Colangelo, but did these 33 guys train together since 2005? Well, those available did every NBA off season in preparation for the upcoming tournaments that year such as the 2006 FIBA World Championship, 2007 FIBA America (an Olympic qualifier) and the 2008 Beijing Olympics. But it's not always that the 33 get to play together and train together. A lot of stars would asked to be excuse in order to rest during the summer for whatever reason. Further, the team would only have at most 2 months to train together in the offseason and that's it.

On our end, sa totoo lang halos wala namang pinagkaiba sa "program" ng USA Basketball. The PBA when it was tasked to form the national team essentially has all the PBA players as well as the the option to tap the top amatures of the country to form the national men's basketball team. The PBA board appoints/selects its head coach and gave that person the sole authority to make the final composition of the team. They would also only train at most for 2 months in the off-season leading to the tournament. This is the program that supposedly the SBP wanted to do away with and insetad replace with the program which the NCC implemented.

With their so-called program, US was able to regain lost glory. Let's face it, the USA players in general are still a cut above the rest so that is one major consideration. Pitting 2 players, naturally the more talented one would probably need less time to train in order to reach competitive level. The less talented one will need to excert more time to be at par.

Yes that's what I've been pointing out. You are correct on that one. Just look at the other teams. Argentina, Brazil, Spain just to name a few. These teams are intact. They only lost Pau Gasol in their lineup because he begged off to play in this tournament. The same thing with Argentina. Manu Ginobili and Nocioni did not play. Iba pa rin ung matagal na kayong naglalaro as team. Alam nyo na ang strenghts and weaknesses nyo. Mas mahirap yong nagkakapaan kayo ng laro.

Edited by Vegasboy32

The type of defense the Americans are playing in the World championships is the very reason why they dominate the opposition. It's not their dunks or their other highlight plays, but it's their all out defense. With the US team realizing that they are one of the smallest teams here, they utilized their athleticism and executed the Blitzkrieg almost to its perfection.

The very weapon deemed questionable in the American game is the very weapon other teams launch with the nonchalance of a beach bum. It's almost comical. Whoever said the three-point shot is a low-percentage shot is clearly ignored in these games. Serbia shot 50% from three-point country in their stunning KO win over Spain. By the way, Serbia used a three to win by three over the Spaniards. Lithuania, during their conquest of Argentina in the quarterfinals, started 8-for-8 from three-point distance. Linas Kleiza and company eventually cooled off to finish at a still impressive 12 out of 24.

Against Russia, Team USA didn't need impeccable three-point shooting to win. If players follow Coach K's game plan, they won’t need it in their next two games. Team officials never claimed to assemble the best outside shooting unit in USA Basketball history. While I marvel at how Lithuanian and Serbian shooters made long jumpers like lay-ups even at most crucial times, USA's defensive mindset is just as astounding. Eric Gordon (51% 3pts) and Kevin Durant (44% 3pts) have been lethal from rainbow country. Yet I'm willing to overlook that in favor of highlighting the Americans' defense.

Russell Westrbook, Derrick Rose and Andre Iguodala have combined for 31 steals. They hound players like one-man double-teams. Granted that USA Basketball sent its Team B to Istanbul, the team's combo guards, however, have exhibited Grade A pressure defense. It's the kind of defense that wo'’t allow Delininkaitis and Kleiza to fire perfectly-arched three-point attempts. It's the kind of defense that disrupts the kind of ball movement that leads to the kind of dramatic 22-footers that win games.

I suspect the three other teams in the FIBA Final Four care less about causing Team USA's spectacular downfall and more about winning the championship. Turkey has home-court advantage over Serbia, a team enjoying life without Darko Milicic. Lithuania will try to stop Durant the way they stopped Scola. I still expect Lithuania to launch 3-pointers as if the Americans aren't there. I expect Team USA, however, to play in-your-jersey defense so everyone else will take notice.

Will the players come most from Team B (Durant n Co.)reinforced by some from Team A (Kobe n Co.), or the other way around?

The early prognostications are that Durant, Iguodala and Westbrook from this team will join Howard, Bosh, James, Anthony, Bryant, Wade, Paul and D-Will in 2012. Last slot left open for a shooter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...