Overrated Nba/pba Players

Are you saying that the players I mentioned had a long grudge with MJ and that they can't form their own opinions of him? It seems to me you're an apologist for MJ that former players who had negative opinions of MJ were either mad at him or wanted to sabotage him. I don't blame you if you're enjoying the ride in David Stern's "MJ is the greatest of all time" hype train but discrediting former players' opinions is blind fanaticism. Yes, MJ is an athletic freak and he deserves to be in the NBA's top 50 of all time but being labeled the greatest of all time? I don't think so. That would be a stretch.

I'm not saying they can't form their own opinions but their opinions are coming from certain events that created friction between them and MJ. I just go by what i read and make my statements based on that. It's not "blind fanaticism" its facts. Jordan was angry that Oakley was traded away for Bill Cartwright, a veteran player who was suffering from bad injuries to the knees. Medical Bill Cartwright as Jordan often referred to him, often had some disputes because he sometimes was struggling to finish a play when Jordan would pass him the ball. If you were watching NBA basketball in the 80's then you should know the freeze out in the all star game during MJ's rookie career. Some of the all stars on that team felt that MJ was stealing away some of their thunder and made a decision not to pass him the ball. While MJ didn't know anything about it and he was just excited to be part of that event. These are facts mason, i'm not just creating some stories here, i go by what i saw and i saw plenty. You're the one who keeps saying that he's not the greatest of all time and I said i wasn't going to say that but rather he was the greatest player to play in his position. 2 different things. In perspective, I'm not apologizing at all for all these things that happened because if these types of criticisms and slights against MJ didn't happen. It wouldn't have fueled him or motivated him to prove that he belongs amongst the greats and to always strive to play and be the best player each game they play

I checked the stats of Pippen during the 2000 Western Conference Finals. These were his averages for 7 games:

PPG: 15.1 (third on the team behind Sheed and Smitty)

RPG: 9.0 (first on the team)

SPG: 2.6 (first on the team)

Based on the numbers, one can deduce that he was still playing at a high level although he was a little bit past his prime.

It doesn't really matter if MJ scored 63 points. He could have averaged 60 ppg in that series. The bottomline is the Bulls got swept in that series.

THose stats are not even close to what he was averaging in his prime. Try looking at his stats for the whole season and other playoff series. Not even all star level at all. But its not his fault, he was past his prime so at the most he could give some contribution at the defensive end, and bring some veteran leadership to that Blazers team. But his stats are nothing to sneeze at.

I'm not arguing with that. The Bulls lost that series. If I had some Hall of Famers who were in their prime playing on my team. I'd win too. But it doesn't change the fact that the Number 1 Team on defense that year, got dropped 63 by a player in his 2nd year coming off an injured broken foot after missing 64 games in that season.

"Jordan's second season was cut short by a broken foot in the third game of the season, which caused him to miss 64 games. Despite Jordan's injury and a 30–52 record (at the time it was fifth worst record of any team to qualify for the playoffs in NBA history),the Bulls made the playoffs. Jordan recovered in time to participate in the playoffs and performed well upon his return. Against a 1985–86 Boston Celtics team that is often considered one of the greatest in NBA history, Jordan set the still-unbroken record for points in a playoff game with 63 in Game 2"

So Charles Oakley, John Paxson, Dave Corzine and Orlando Woolridge were scrubs. Charles Oakley was the Bulls' best rebounder in that series. Woolridge was averaging 21 ppg in that series. Dave Corzine almost averaged a double double in that series.

Just to put things in perspective, Charles Oakley was one of the reasons your Knicks went to the 1994 NBA Finals. If there was no John Paxson, the Bulls would have been hard-pressed to win against the Lakers in the 1991 NBA Finals as Paxson was one of four Bulls who averaged in double digits in that series. Moreover, no Paxson, no 1993 NBA championship. The guys I mentioned are not scrubs. Them being scrubs is your opinion.

Orlando Woolridge, Dave Corzine? are you kidding me? Woolridge could score yes, but if i were to compare him to Scottie who could play both ends of the court then Scottie would win out that argument. Dave Corzine, i don't even know why you mentioned this scrub. Horace Grant. That's all i'm gonna say about that. Why didn't you mention the other players on the team? You know why? because they weren't worth mentioning because they were scrubs. I didn't say all the players on the team were scrubs. but they weren't all stars either. If you look at my previous post. I said MJ was playing with a bunch of scrubs. Oakley is not a scrub, but he's no all star either. He is a good role player. An enforcer. But his style of play didn't mesh with the talent on the team. THat's why he was traded to the Knicks who fit more into the kind of rugged, tough team that Pat Riley built with Anthony Mason, Patrick Ewing and X. Paxson was a role player who fit well into a spot up shooter. Pax was no scrub but he was a role player at best.

Yeah, Larry marveled at MJ but I am sure Larry was more ecstatic in destroying the Bulls than marvel at Jordan.

Maybe it was realizing that MJ was for real and to be able to drop 63 against a team that prides itself in limiting or shutting down the opposition from scoring. I guess the Celtics did a bang up job in limiting Jordan to 63. If their defense was really bad, MJ might have gone on to score 100 points on them, but good job to the Celtics for only limiting him to 63.

Kobe Bryant. Very inefficient and shoots his team out of games far too often.

People compare him to mj just bec he stole all of mj's moves. But in terms of production and efficiency, he pales badly in comparison. Kobe never even shot better than 45% in a season in his 20yr career. He is more allen iverson than mj.

• 2 months later...

Larry Bird is overrated. He can't even play defense. 2nd team defense during the early part of his career. after that, he didn't even make the list from then on. that's like saying ok, we got the the junior varsity coming in to sub for the Seniors. B team subbing for the A team.

Great, shooter and playmaker sure, but can't play defense on a consistent level. Overrated.

Dave Debusschere is a better player than this guy. Played both ends of the court.

Overrated player of today is Dwight Howard. Been playing for so many years and still can't develop a decent post game nor even know how to play or where to play in the post.

Edited by veeto
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...