• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

sinister

the film was creepy. it focused on one character and his knack to be popular once again. very paranormal activity like in terms of the usage of filmed footages. a lot of questions though lingered in the end. overall a good horror flick.

so.... is it scary? Im having second thoughts of horror flicks nowadays, most of them disappoints me.

my friends were asking me to watch it.. heck I dont want to waste good money

so.... is it scary? Im having second thoughts of horror flicks nowadays, most of them disappoints me.

my friends were asking me to watch it.. heck I dont want to waste good money

if you scare easy like me, then it's scary. it involved some pretty gruesome images of people being killed so the part of it that wasn't supernatural, was disturbing. ethan hawke turned in a good performance, and was convincing as a self-absorbed, selfish writer more interested in resurrecting his career than in protecting his family.

though there are moments when the film succumbs to the usual horror flick cliches, overall it held its audience in suspense, and there were plenty of creepy moments to keep the audience invested in the protagonist's fate.

i'd give it 3 out 5 stars.

if you scare easy like me, then it's scary. it involved some pretty gruesome images of people being killed so the part of it that wasn't supernatural, was disturbing. ethan hawke turned in a good performance, and was convincing as a self-absorbed, selfish writer more interested in resurrecting his career than in protecting his family.

though there are moments when the film succumbs to the usual horror flick cliches, overall it held its audience in suspense, and there were plenty of creepy moments to keep the audience invested in the protagonist's fate.

i'd give it 3 out 5 stars.

thanks happy.gif

hmm ethan hawke is there?? mellow.gif maybe ill give it a try

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised there aren't any reviews for Looper. So I suppose I'll go ahead and give it a whirl...

Halfway through this movie, I thought to myself how appropriate the title was, as the story arc kind of threw me for a loop. I knew the basic premise - that hitmen called loopers in the film's present assassinate people from a future whose criminal network sends unfortunate fellows back through a time machine, back to a past where it's convenient to dispose of bodies. Okay. I knew that Bruce Willis was in it, and that Joseph Gordon-Levitt (3rd Rock from the Sun, Inception) plays Willis' younger self, brilliantly too, without resorting to a comical impression of the action star. Okay.

(SPOILER ALERT)

But did anyone expect this movie was also going to be about a kid who's a cross between ultimate-evil-kid Damien and Anakin Skywalker? Not I.

Remember how Anakin turned to the dark side because of the traumatic way in which his mother died? Same idea, better acting. Emily Blunt, who does a fantastic job as a shotgun-toting farm mom, must keep her son Cid shielded from further becoming embittered, ensuring that he turns out okay, instead of becoming Darth Vader…er, I mean, the Rainmaker.

Fun to think about a future where you can count TK (telekinetic) skills as part of your repertoire for picking up women. Interesting to think about what you would do when faced with the possibility of ending the life of your future self. Ultimately, though, the most compelling thing about the film was the presence of so many parallel character threads and story loops that the audience was allowed to ruminate on. Joe and Cid thoughtfully regarding each other as they revealed their stories of loss; Cid protecting present Joe, as future Joe surely worked his way to killing him; stripper mom and farmer mom moving heaven and earth to make sure their children are going to be alright. All these layers provide a depth to this movie that was one heck of a sleeper.

db

Edited by dungeonbaby

Surprised there aren't any reviews for Looper. So I suppose I'll go ahead and give it a whirl...

Halfway through this movie, I thought to myself how appropriate the title was, as the story arc kind of threw me for a loop. I knew the basic premise - that hitmen called loopers in the film's present assassinate people from a future whose criminal network sends unfortunate fellows back through a time machine, back to a past where it's convenient to dispose of bodies. Okay. I knew that Bruce Willis was in it, and that Joseph Gordon-Levitt (3rd Rock from the Sun, Inception) plays Willis' younger self, brilliantly too, without resorting to a comical impression of the action star. Okay.

(SPOILER ALERT)

But did anyone expect this movie was also going to be about a kid who's a cross between ultimate-evil-kid Damien and Anakin Skywalker? Not I.

Remember how Anakin turned to the dark side because of the traumatic way in which his mother died? Same idea, better acting. Emily Blunt, who does a fantastic job as a shotgun-toting farm mom, must keep her son Cid shielded from further becoming embittered, ensuring that he turns out okay, instead of becoming Darth Vader…er, I mean, the Rainmaker.

Fun to think about a future where you can count TK (telekinetic) skills as part of your repertoire for picking up women. Interesting to think about what you would do when faced with the possibility of ending the life of your future self. Ultimately, though, the most compelling thing about the film was the presence of so many parallel character threads and story loops that the audience was allowed to ruminate on. Joe and Cid thoughtfully regarding each other as they revealed their stories of loss; Cid protecting present Joe, as future Joe surely worked his way to killing him; stripper mom and farmer mom moving heaven and earth to make sure their children are going to be alright. All these layers provide a depth to this movie that was one heck of a sleeper.

db

It kinda reminds me of Akira, in some angles...Johnson should pay Otomo-san royalties

hmmmm well, yung mga nageexpect ng new gadgets & car na gagamitin ni james bond sa skyfall, mafu-frustrate lng dahil wala masyado gadget, dalawang bagay lng ang ginamit na medyo techy, and wala pa dun sa dalawa yung sasakyan nya. to add, may different twist ang story sa huli, and some changes sa character/s portrayal.

hmmmm well, yung mga nageexpect ng new gadgets & car na gagamitin ni james bond sa skyfall, mafu-frustrate lng dahil wala masyado gadget, dalawang bagay lng ang ginamit na medyo techy, and wala pa dun sa dalawa yung sasakyan nya. to add, may different twist ang story sa huli, and some changes sa character/s portrayal.

Then again, Daniel Craig portrays a rebooted James Bond, so it keeps with a strict chronology not to get him too reliant on gadgets and whatnot. 21st century cinema audiences are a whole lot different from their '60's and '70's counterparts.

Edited by johnnydrama

James Bond: "A gun and a radio. Not exactly Christmas, is it?"

Q: "What were you expecting, an exploding pen?"

That just about sums up the lack of high tech stuff in Skyfall. For me, though, that's actually a plus. This is the James Bond for a world reeling from tough economic times - a little rough around the edges, gritty, and more akin to a cowboy than to the 007 brand. There were so many great things about this reboot: the plentiful nods to past Bond movies, references to old-school gadgets like an ejector seat, dry humor that'll get you chuckling, Judi Dench reciting 'Ulysses,' and yes, Javier Bardem. Didn't think I'd enjoy seeing him, but he truly delivered. Everyone delivered, and the story tied up nicely in the end into the Bond mythos.

I'd give it an 8.5/10.