• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

t'was even an unknown film just before it won numerous awards including the Golden Globe Best Picture.

another best picture win for the overrated Slumdog Millionaire. :thumbsupsmiley:

Friday the 13th Remake is way way better than Rob Zombie's Halloween.

Ah... so this movie is a must see for those who's into horror films?

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE is not as rosy as I was made to believe it was. While ultimately it is a feel-good movie, it is NOT exactly looking at the world through rose colored glasses. Damn, it's looking at the world through a pile s@%t and seeing all the beauty in it. I liked it. But I was a little shocked by some of the more brutal scenes (the blinding of the little boy).

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - it was a pretty slow movie, kinda dragging at times, but it had a good story. A what if's. A love story that can never really be because of the circumstances. I liked it really. It's a story of how loves accepts anything. A must see if you want to cry really hard in the ending.

Changeling - Angelina deserves the nomination. She was great in this movie. I was glad that she did something like this again. She's been known to do a lot of action movies lately and I miss the heavy crying Jolie. One really feels the sadness of a mother and the power of knowing who her child is. You feel the longing her character has for her child and the fear when she found out what might've really happened to her son. Love it.

Revolutionary Road - DiCaprio and Winslet back together. Kate deserves the nods she got from this movie. She was great! The movie depicted the story of a suburban family that looked like a perfect family outside but really has some issues behind that facade.

Milk - it's a movie based on the life and assassination of Harvey Milk during the 70's. Milk fought for the rights of gay citizens in California first and the whole United States afterwards. He wanted equal treatment/equal rights for everyone whether they be gay or straight. A GREAT movie.

The Reader - based on the book by Bernhard Schlink. About a 15 year old having an affair with a woman twice his age during post-WWII West Germany. A few years later he meets with his former lover but in a different situation. He was a law student studying an ongoing case against WWII war criminals. She was one of the defendants. He was torn between his love and the justice he's learning at the time. Kate Winslet scored GREAT again on this one! And Hollywood newcomer David Kross was sensational!

streetfighter--the legend of chun li...imho pang tv lang, wasn't much impressed on the action scenes let alone the main character portrayed by kristin kreuk (of smallville) who was so frail in the film it ws hard to imagine she could kick butts. 95 mins waste of time...suggest you watch it in dvd instead :thumbsdownsmiley:

Changeling, starring Angelina Jolie.

If you can survive the first half of the movie then you'll be rewarded. The movie starts out like a run-of-the-mill tearjerker of a melodrama. You know, the usual mother loses her child, the fodder for most Mexican telenovelas. I almost yanked the DVD out of the machine until I realized that I have no other movie to watch. And I am glad. For when the plot twists (which I will not mention here so as not to ruin it for you), the movie takes on a different pace. It's a little incredible, until you remind yourself that is based on a TRUE STORY.

Good movie. Even Angelina Jolie is not so irritating. She even allowed herself to look less than glamorous (you can see the flaws on her haggard face). I rate it as 8-10. No gimmicks. Just good story-telling.

Taken

Directed by: Pierre Morel

Written by: Luc Besson

Starring: Liam Neeson

This is a movie about an ex spec ops operator, who's out of the game but was unwittingly drawn back when his daughter gets kidnapped by an Eastern European white slavery ring.

If you loved the Bourne series, you'll absolutely love this movie.

Liam Neeson makes it seem that he's Jason Bourne's father in this movie. Tons of kicking ass and taking names, and people getting shot without remorse nor emotion.

Loved it for the action.

-----

Punisher, War Zone

Directed by: Lexi Alexander

Starring: Ray Stevenson and Dominic West.

Staying true to the Punisher Max line of comics, this movie ranks up there as one of the most violent films ever made. As one reviewer put it, people didn't get shot in the movie, they get big gaping holes in their bodies. Punisher just doesn't break your face when he punches you, he caves your skull in.

Lots of amazing kills, some taken directly from the comic. Definitely for the fanboy, as there are many nods to the Garth Ennis era Punisher.

What's curious though is that Julie Benz is in this flick again, and this is the 3rd time that she's been paired up with a killer character in a movie/tv series (Dexter, John Rambo, and Punisher: War Zone)

the violence is astounding, but the visuals were excellent. One of the most brilliantly shot films I've ever seen, kudos to the cinematographer.

Another interesting thing to note, despite the extremely violent nature of the movie, this movie is directed to perfection by a woman, Lexi Alexander, who's hot to boot.

Just for that I rate this film 8/12

The Wrestler

Directed by: Darren Aronofsky

Starring: Mickey Rourke and Marisa Tomei's nipples.

About a wrestler at the tail end of his career. Excellent and surprisingly accurate portrayal of the washed out pro-wrestling superstar. Shot, documentary style which added to the "organic" feel of the movie. Also a great look behind the scenes of a pro-wrestling match.

Mickey Rourke is an amazing actor. period. If they had gotten Nicholas Cage as what was originally planned, it would not have worked so well. Mickey Rourke became Randy "The Ram". Some people would argue that he didn't do anything special, since the role is actually a parallel of what he has experienced in his own life, but then again it takes skill to be able to pull out those unfortunate experiences and make them work for a movie. Haven't seen milk yet, but Rourke really did deserve that nomination.

Oh Marisa Tomei did an excellent acting job as well, and she still has a pretty banging body for a girl her age. Her nipples are great as well.

Edited by Larry