The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

Click on titles for reviews to:

Pacific Rim

"i like big 'bots and i cannot lie" -- good one! i watched pacific rim on the basis of two reviews - yours and another jap giant-robot anime geek's. the movie was entertaining with an understandably simple plot, but why was the female lead so strange and slow in her reactions? she spent half the film with her mouth agape i thought. was that purposely done or is she just a terrible actress? sorry if you're a fan.

(did you catch the dubbed portions that were apparently integral to the movie?)

for this girl - who grew up religiously watching Voltes V, Mazinger Z, and Daimos - the visual effects and the action scenes were indeed stupendous and an obvious paean to the genre. gotta love guillermo del toro.

"i like big 'bots and i cannot lie" -- good one! i watched pacific rim on the basis of two reviews - yours and another jap giant-robot anime geek's. the movie was entertaining with an understandably simple plot, but why was the female lead so strange and slow in her reactions? she spent half the film with her mouth agape i thought. was that purposely done or is she just a terrible actress? sorry if you're a fan.

for this girl - who grew up religiously watching Voltes V, Mazinger Z, and Daimos - the visual effects and the action scenes were indeed stupendous and an obvious paean to the genre. gotta love guillermo del toro.

Thanks for the love...still hungover from that film's stupendous awesomeness. Keep your eyes peeled for my upcoming The Wolverine review, among others.

oooh...1970s mechas. finished all episodes of those three. maybe ron pearlman can play doctor hell in a mazinger z movie.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gravity is a breathtaking feast for the eyes. This is must-see cinema, but not just for its technical achievements. After a slew of noisy blockbusters, this movie manages to deliver a quieter brand of claustrophobic tension in the frightening vastness of space. Sandra Bullock is a riveting, familiar center in this survival flick, and an attractive one as well (how does a 50-year old woman look that sensational?). Her character's strength, as she deals with the mind-boggling isolation of a disaster unfolding rapidly above our blue planet, harks back to Sigourney Weaver's Lt. Ripley in Alien. This girl Sandra rocks, and Alfonso Cuaron gets an honorary seat at the women's wing of historic films for this one.

Edited by dungeonbaby
  • 2 months later...

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

One of the things that first leaped out to me about this movie is it's stunning visuals. The beautiful shots of capitol and the game landscape are amazing. Capitol is sort of like a mix between Las Vegas and Los Angeles with many bright lights with loads of celebrity like influence. Catching Fire also gives you a good connection to the characters. During one moment in the movie, I was rubbing my neck and cringing at how painful certain parts felt.

One problem with Catching Fire as a book though is that it feels too similar to the first book. Catching Fire seems in many ways like the first movie shot in different ways with slight plot changes and this makes you feel like the author used this book to milk the franchise rather than actually have more substance. While this is reviewing the book rather than the movie, I feel this is important because one good thing about the movie is how well it does follow the book. Those are however, the original creator's faults and the director has no control over that.

As a book this particular story has issues, but in my mind the director and screen writer did their best with this movie and it turned out great.

The 47 Ronin

keanu reeves

Movie Info

From ancient Japan's most enduring tale, the epic 3D fantasy-adventure 47 Ronin is born. Keanu Reeves leads the cast as Kai, an outcast who joins Oishi (Hiroyuki Sanada), the leader of 47 outcast samurai. Together they seek vengeance upon the treacherous overlord who killed their master and banished their kind. To restore honor to their homeland, the warriors embark upon a quest that challenges them with a series of trials that would destroy ordinary warriors. 47 Ronin is helmed by visionarydirector Carl Erik Rinsch (The Gift). Inspired by styles as diverse as Miyazaki and Hokusai, Rinsch will bring to life the stunning landscapes and enormous battles that will display the timeless Ronin story to global audiences in a way that's never been seen before. -- © Universal

if your not a fan of japanese samurai better not watch this or much better watch hercules. rotten tomatoes not surprisingly rate this low,well they are hard to please.but if your a fan of keanu reeves for sure you would love the movie.the audience may give it a lukewarm welcome but watching it, is not truly a waste of time and money,With history as its part and interest in the way of samurai,you can say out of 5 i can give it a 3.

Wolf of Wall Street is an excellent movie. Based on the true story of New York stock broker Jordan Belfort whose hedonistic lifestyle was brought to life by Leonardo DiCarprio in probably what is his best performance yet.

The guy can really act. I'm casting my vote on him for best actor in the upcoming Oscar Awards.

• 2 weeks later...