The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

The Expendables Rating 1/10

Boasts of seasoned action stars in the credits yet falls short on the plot of the movie. It's just the same old crap - guns, explosives and blood - nothing much to see. They tried to inject a bit of humor in the movie but I didn't really find it funny. There were some parts where the scenes were dragging, i almost fell asleep. Watch at your own risk.

Edited by SamanthaJones

Just watched the expendables the other day

Its like watching the last Rambo movie with all New and Old hardcore action stars present.

Almost same plot and setting.

But the action scenes are so huge and edge of your seat type. you will miss something if you blink.

Bone crushing humors also are added treat.

Rating: 4/5 stars

a sequel is already in planning according to Stallone. (check movie site)

Spoiler: Stone Cold, Arnold S, and Bruce Willis roles were surprising. Arnold S, and Bruce W names were not flashed during opening and ending credits.

Trivia: Jean-Claude Van Damme did not accept his role because supposedly, he will be beat up by Jet Li in a Karate Showdown on the movie.

hmmm.. i think his ego is out of place huh?

Just watched the expendables the other day

Its like watching the last Rambo movie with all New and Old hardcore action stars present.

Almost same plot and setting.

But the action scenes are so huge and edge of your seat type. you will miss something if you blink.

Bone crushing humors also are added treat.

Rating: 4/5 stars

a sequel is already in planning according to Stallone. (check movie site)

Spoiler: Stone Cold, Arnold S, and Bruce Willis roles were surprising. Arnold S, and Bruce W names were not flashed during opening and ending credits.

Trivia: Jean-Claude Van Damme did not accept his role because supposedly, he will be beat up by Jet Li in a Karate Showdown on the movie.

hmmm.. i think his ego is out of place huh?

Apparently, the character played by veteran British kickboxer Gary Daniels (as the "other" muscle of main heavy Vince McMah...oops, I mean Eric Roberts) was originally intended for JCVD

The absence of Willis & Ah-Nuld on the credits was intentional...just doing an old friend a favour (it's his show anyhoo)

Grabe, kulang na lang pina-stunner ni Stone Cold si Rambo!!! Aba, wala 'yan sa WWE!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Saw Devil. Liked it.

I was ready to be disappointed just in case Mr Night delivered another doozy like Signs, but this movie kept my hair on end for most of its 80 minutes.

Then again, I'm easy to please (and it was cold in the theater). I kind of liked The Village and Lady in the Water so if those films didn’t do it for you, this might not either. But even with most critics giving this movie scathing reviews, I have no problem wasting P180 on it. It was fun. Especially since a lot of the people in the theater I was at were screaming indulgently at even the most hackneyed ‘lights out, vague figure appears’ moments.

If you've seen the trailer you know that most of the action happens inside a claustrophobe's worst urban nightmare - an elevator. (I was surprised at how swiftly the characters were placed in that elevator, the foreplay was very short.) Outside the elevator, it’s watching the fear grow first in the eyes of the security guards and then in Chris Messina’s detective – as they watch what unfolds through the closed-circuit camera – that keeps the audience riveted. That and the foreboding cinematography.

Of course, your enjoyment of the film is dependent on a few things:

If you find enclosed spaces and unreliable lighting unnerving, you’re ripe for at least a shudder. If you allow yourself to be creeped out by a story of the devil roaming the earth looking to retire a few damned souls earlier than scheduled then this movie won’t be bad. If you grew up in the Philippines and were surrounded by superstition and serious stories of things that go bump in the night you might find some wild fear to relate to. If you don’t struggle against the irrational actions of some characters – such as touching a live wire in a dark basement when there’s a puddle of water near your feet (don’t they know they’re in a Shyamalan movie and being unbelieving characters are bound to die?!) – then you’ll be ok.

This movie is an extreme folk story in an urban setting, with modern themes like alcoholism mixed in with timeless ones like repentance and redemption. It was good for a Saturday night thrill.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/4e/Boondock_2_poster.JPG/220px-Boondock_2_poster.JPG

hip & funny action -

can't wait to get a hold of the first movie.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_3Lud_9_uocs/TMewSS1C1bI/AAAAAAAACHM/ZVDqExa-VbM/narutoVery_Good.gifhttp://lh3.ggpht.com/_3Lud_9_uocs/TMewSS1C1bI/AAAAAAAACHM/ZVDqExa-VbM/narutoVery_Good.gifhttp://lh3.ggpht.com/_3Lud_9_uocs/TMewSS1C1bI/AAAAAAAACHM/ZVDqExa-VbM/narutoVery_Good.gifhttp://lh3.ggpht.com/_3Lud_9_uocs/TMewSS1C1bI/AAAAAAAACHM/ZVDqExa-VbM/narutoVery_Good.gif out of http://lh4.ggpht.com/_3Lud_9_uocs/TMewRwt9GCI/AAAAAAAACHM/HFR0v85dtzo/narutoClaping.gifhttp://lh4.ggpht.com/_3Lud_9_uocs/TMewRwt9GCI/AAAAAAAACHM/HFR0v85dtzo/narutoClaping.gifhttp://lh4.ggpht.com/_3Lud_9_uocs/TMewRwt9GCI/AAAAAAAACHM/HFR0v85dtzo/narutoClaping.gifhttp://lh4.ggpht.com/_3Lud_9_uocs/TMewRwt9GCI/AAAAAAAACHM/HFR0v85dtzo/narutoClaping.gif

Edited by Itto Ogami
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone watched Let Me In?

i felt like i was watching the sleeper movie of the year with Let Me In. it's just the right palate cleanser after all that gooey teenage Twilight hoo-hah. though the mood is a bit depressing, it's necessary, and used effectively.

Let Me In is a remake of the swedish film Let the Right One In, but this version was fresh to me. the vampire here is nothing like anne rice's, bram stoker's, or (thankfully) stephenie meyer's vampires. there are many unexplored allusions to what kind of creature this is - "you smell funny," owen the young protagonist, says to it and its tummy rumbles grotesquely because we know it hasn't fed in a while. this isn't a perfumed cullen we're talking about here. there is no gloss on this vampire, except for a certain luminosity in her 12-year old face when she is fed, content, and defending her outcast friend.

definitely worth watching.

i felt like i was watching the sleeper movie of the year with Let Me In. it's just the right palate cleanser after all that gooey teenage Twilight hoo-hah. though the mood is a bit depressing, it's necessary, and used effectively.

Let Me In is a remake of the swedish film Let the Right One In, but this version was fresh to me. the vampire here is nothing like anne rice's, bram stoker's, or (thankfully) stephenie meyer's vampires. there are many unexplored allusions to what kind of creature this is - "you smell funny," owen the young protagonist, says to it and its tummy rumbles grotesquely because we know it hasn't fed in a while. this isn't a perfumed cullen we're talking about here. there is no gloss on this vampire, except for a certain luminosity in her 12-year old face when she is fed, content, and defending her outcast friend.

definitely worth watching.

SPOILER ALERT!!!

I read the book after I've watched the movie. Though the movie seemed to have stayed loyal to the book, the few tweaks actually profoundly changed the nature of the Abby, and most specially her relationship with Owen.

In the book, the guardian is purely a hired-hand. He's a pedophile and so harbors his own interests with his employer, Eli, the vampire girl. But in the movie, it was shown that the guardian was a former 12-year-old friend/boyfriend turned old. So with the guardian presently burdened with middle age, the movie now implied that the girl sought out a new 12-year-old boy to replace what the function was of the guardian in her life.

So from the supposedly innocent yet pure relationship between Abby and Owen in the book, it was turned 180 degrees in the movie, for one based on function and for the other an escape from loneliness.

But at least in the movie, Abby simply said she's not a girl, so further fanning the mystery of these creatures. But in the book, she/he is indeed really a boy, whose real name is Elias, making their relationship, hmm.. icky! :rolleyes:

Edited by fortune_cookie

highly recommend The Fighter starring Mark Wahlberg and Christian Slater, in what is probably the latter's best performance yet. this is the movie that Wahlberg was making when he was visiting Pacquiao in the wild card gym.

all Pinoys should watch this film if only because we love Pacquiao and, by extension, boxing. but more than that, the acting from all quarters was superb, even the honky tonk sisters that one review called "a bouffant, virulent version of the seven dwarves" were perfect.

watch the movie before its swept away by the manila film fest.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/reviews/2010-12-10-fighter10_ST_N.htm?csp=IMDBreviews

• 4 weeks later...

ANY MOVIE REVIEWS ABOUT TRON HERE>???

Anyone who would see Tron Legacy should see Tron first. Tron is the 1982 film which I think is ahead of it's time. Though perhaps not as strong dramatically as it is technologically, TRON is an original and visually stunning piece of science fiction that represents a landmark work in the history of computer animation. Now comes Tron Legacy. The sequel after almost 28 years. with all the technologies and break thoughs in movie making. like CGI..it's no longer as stunning anymore.

But still Tron Legacy boasts dazzling visuals, but its human characters and story get lost amidst its state-of-the-art production design.. Still worth the watch.. It's good to see two Jeff Bridges in this film. the other is his younger version..

Edited by mightytor

Tourist is not that bad and not that good. Angelina Jolie did not perform any action scenes in here so don't expect that the tourist' action scenes are like SALT. The plot and content of the movie is a bit good. This movie is more of a content than an action/stunt movie po.....

After you watched the tourist, you might say... "ok lang..."