The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

The A-Team is really good, lots of great action and also some humor. highly recommended!

It's an easy toss-up between two re-dos...The Karate Kid with Jackie Chan filling in for Pat Morita (RIP)'s incomparable Mr. Miyagi...and The A-Team with Liam Neeson, Bradley Cooper et al. filling in the roles from the iconic 80's TV show (which I used to catch on GMA-7 as a kid...Star World once reran it in the mornings round 10am)

The action is relentless - if not a tad bit OTT (but wasn't the original TV series also???). Their MacGyveresque resourcefulness (face it - they pre-dated MacGyver by around 3-4 years) in constructing booby-traps out of everyday scraps is still very much there. The writers manage to amp the violence and language to meet the scale of the big screen - yet never forget to throw in a number of tributes for the hardcore fanbois out there (check out the end credits, you'll know what I mean)

I'd rate The A-Team an "A" for "Awwwwweeee-sommmmme!!!!!"

KARATE KID 2010

BASIC PLOT

post-115838-127657430238.jpg

DRE PARKER (jaden Smith) had to move to china because his mother's work in a car factory requires them to do so. Upon arrival to their new apartment, DRE managed to immediately befriend a cacucasian boy and got invited to shoot a few hoops at the nearby playground. Failing at both basketball and (eventually) ping pong as one of the elder players in the playground made mince meat out of his table tennis skills.

DRE decideds to focus his energy in impressing this young chinese girl named MEI YING. DRE was actually getting into the groove already as he was strutting his dance moves much to the delight of MEI YING.

post-115838-127657430551.jpg

Unfortunately, the party didn't last as a couple of young bullies headed by CHENG came by and started taking roughshots at MEI YING.

post-115838-127657429944.jpg

DRE tried to intervene but got his butt kicked by CHENG who turned out to be quite skillfull in martial arts. And compounding his woes, the school that DRE enrolled in is the same school that the bullies and CHENG go to. Naturally during the next few days, DRE gets bullied on again and again.

post-115838-127657429693.jpg

But for some strange reason, given that DRE is at a disadvantage, he still thought up of a mischiveous prank in which the bullies got doused with dirty water thereby resulting in a chase along the alleys with DRE finally getting cornerned near his apartment and getting beaten to a pulp.

post-115838-127657430755.jpg

Worse injuries for the young DRE would have been inflicted if not for the timely rescue of MR. HAN (played by jackie chan) who is the apartment's maintenance man, but who happens to be a kung-fu master. The young bullies were no match for MR. HAN as he toyed with their martial arts while in the process of getting themselves beaten up. MR. HAN then took the young DRE inside to tend to his injuries.

DRE was able to convince MR. HAN to accompany him to the kung fu school where CHENG and the other bullies were studying so as to make peace with them as well as the Master who was teaching them kung fu. Of course the kung-fu master would have none of it as his philosophy is more rooted on "No mercy". MR. HAN was able to buy some time by proposing to have DRE fight his students in an upcoming kung fu tournament....... so to make a long story short, Mr. HAN trained DRE in the art of kung fu.

post-115838-127657431766.jpg

post-115838-127657432046.jpg

post-115838-127657432369.jpg

They entered the tournament and eventually won the tournament. (spolier ba???? hahahaha)

post-115838-127657431048.jpg

post-115838-127657431455.jpg

ORIGINAL or REMAKE

To those who have watched the original Karate Kid as played Ralph Macchio, this remake will definitly look familiar. (except probably for the new cast and the difference in location.) Below are some of the familiar scenes......

• both movies started with the main characters being newbies in an unfamiliar place. (the original movie was in a different town/city, while the remake was in a different country)
  • both heroes hit it off great with their love interest of the movie when they initially met. Only to be interrupted by bullies.
  • both heroes tried to learn martial arts the easy way (original via book while the remake via instructions on TV)
  • both heroes tried to look for a martial arts school only to find out that their nemesis is the prized student in said school
  • while the initial training methods does seem a bit irrelevant as far as learning martial arts is concerned (wax-on, wax-off for the original and jacket-on jacket-off for the remake) the heroes eventually learned its purpose after the masters has shown it to them.
  • both karate/kung fu masters have a drunken scene. (forgot what Mr. miyagi of the original movie was getting drunk about) but Mr. HAN was getting drunk because he misses his loved ones who perished due to a vehicular accident
  • During the semi-finals, the karate/kung fu master employed the use of a dirty tactic by forcing his other student, who was to face the hero, to use an illegal move to render his opponent severely injured and getting himself disqualified in the process.
  • when all seems lost, Mr. Miyagi/Mr. Han employed some sort of of secret healing technique which gave the heroes a last chance to face their nemesis in the championship.
  • when the villians lost in their championship match against the heroes, they displayed sportmanship by personally handing the championship trophy to the winner. In the remake, as an added twist, CHENG as well as the rest of the bullies approached Mr. HAN and acknowledged their defeat to his student. (much to the embarrassment of their own kung fu master)

----------------------------------------

The fight scenes are definitly more violent than the original version. Even during the tournament wherein hitting the face with fists is allowed to earn a point. Then there are scenes in which the kids, after receiving a kick, gets flown off the mat....... One can't help but think that its kinda hard for 12 year olds to be able to execute and endure that kind of punishment. The finishing move used by DRE was a little over the top for someone who started learning kung fu only for a few weeks (months at the most) but it sure was fun to watch.

JADEN SMITH is a joy to watch ...... a lot of the way he talks and moves is somewhat a clone of his father (will smith). I wouldn't be surprised if this kid grew up to be a better actor than WILL.

Overall I enjoyed this feel good movie very much. So good that I wouldn't mind going for seconds ..... it was made well enough that even if I somehow knew the outcome of the story, I'm still getting the goose bumps especially during the final fight.

Edited by asmodeus

The A-Team 9/10

A great remake/reboot of a classic 80's TV series. The movie captured most of the quirks and comedy of the old cast (Dirk Benedict et al.) including their mannerisms. For those unfamiliar with the TV series the group were portrayed as Vietnam War veterans framed for a crime they didnt commit and constantly being chased by the military. The choice of chartacters to play B.A. Barracus, Face, and Murdoch where dead-on. I previously held reservations about Liam Neeson being cast as Hannibal Smith, but after watching the movie my complaints and skepticism stopped.

Non-stop action, funny dialogue, good plot....A great movie all around. Its a trip down memory lane for people who where big fans of the original tv series. Those new to the A-Team won't get lost since the movie tackles their origins as well (albeit updated for modern times).

Go out and watch it! :D

----------------------------------------

The fight scenes are definitly more violent than the original version. Even during the tournament wherein hitting the face with fists is allowed to earn a point. Then there are scenes in which the kids, after receiving a kick, gets flown off the mat....... One can't help but think that its kinda hard for 12 year olds to be able to execute and endure that kind of punishment. The finishing move used by DRE was a little over the top for someone who started learning kung fu only for a few weeks (months at the most) but it sure was fun to watch.

JADEN SMITH is a joy to watch ...... a lot of the way he talks and moves is somewhat a clone of his father (will smith). I wouldn't be surprised if this kid grew up to be a better actor than WILL.

Overall I enjoyed this feel good movie very much. So good that I wouldn't mind going for seconds ..... it was made well enough that even if I somehow knew the outcome of the story, I'm still getting the goose bumps especially during the final fight.

great review, dude...pretty much covered most of the good scenes...

saw the mixed reviews in idmb.com and rottentomatoes... u just cant please everyone... heck even "Gone With the Wind" had critics as well as "Citizen X" and the great movies of yore hehehe

too bad the first american friend dre met in china was left out...the unknown actor should've been given a slightly bigger role as dre's friend...

the mei ying character's not that strong enough, i believe...but of course she's a cute lady and fun to watch...and jaden gets to kiss the chic in such an early age his dad Will did not have that chance when he was that age hehehe...

fight scenes were brutal enough for 12-year-olds...but for entertainment purposes, twas great...

Jackie Chan can really act and not just be funny like the "Rush Hour" series... he's a good second coming of Mr. Miyagi (Chinese version)...

hope they wont suck in the sequel though...heard Will Smith is not closin the door on lettin his son do a sequel with jackie... why not go to japan for the sequel and rediscover real karate this time? hehe...nah, that's not Mr. Han's forte then... maybe they can go to Chinatown and meet bad guy Jet Li (Lethal Weapon 4-style) and the triads...nah..

for now, families should enjoy watchin' this...especially parents who have kids who always throw their stuff (jacket, hehe) on the floor and not pickin' it up... :lol:

wont hurt too if u buy the DVD...and a plus for justin bieber fans, he's on the soundtrack with rapper jaden smith (he's so followin' will' lead from actor-to-rapper-to-actor again)...

HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON

i will rate it 9.5/10

bukod sa mahilig ako sa animated films

this is one of the best a-films i have watched!

great movie! ganda! :)

Yes I agree...saw it na nga sa big-screen.

In IMAX 3-D pa!!!

Love they way they rendered even the little freckles on the leads' faces....

KARATE KID - 8/10

ok naman yung movie. enjoyable siya. great movie from start to finish. BUT forgettable.

but for me the original is still the best. kahit matagal na yung movie. tumatak na sa isipan natin yung "wax on , wax off" , yung pag chop sa blocks of ice, yung pagkuha ng langaw sa chopstick, and pag narinig mo yung song na "the moment of truth" o kaya "glory of love". papasok agad sa utak mo ang movie na karate kid.

LA BANG NANOOD SA INYO NG ECLIPSE??? MAGANDA UNG MOVIE REVIEW EH,, ANYBODY CAN CONFIRM?????

watched it last friday...

i think the movie can't stand on its own...

meaning, u will not be able to undestand the story unless you were able to watch the first 2 series...

i'm totally lost on the movie and can't even relate what the hell it's about...

it's not like transformers 2 wherein even if you were not able to watch the first movie, the movie still does not bore you...

it has its own story...

sorry but i slept in the movie house for about an hour...

we were 10 that time, 2 of us slept hehe...

got awake on the almost "brokeback mountain" scene..

it was funny, though, haha

girls and the not so girls liked the body of jacob hehe

Eclipse

para kang nanonood ng Mark Herras and Jenelyn Mercado, John Lloyd and Bea Alonzo.

not recommended sa matatanda, pang mga teenager or early 20's na taste.

most of the scenes are not that significant for the stories, basta magawan lang nila ng kwento.

but for me okay ang mga dialogue... lalo na 'yung parang na-bading si Edward kay Jacob...

I'll rate this, 8.

astig kasi! wolves rock, vampires as well.

grown ups.

don't expect anything cerebral with this movie. then again, with adam sandler and rob schneider in the cast, you probably know or expect this already.

if you are a fan of salma hayek and her twins, don't expect, too, anything gratifying to come your way. salma's role is quite minimal.

instead, expect non-stop toilet humor (and a little slapstick thrown in for good measure) delivered by middle aged men playing middle aged men. being a shallow middle aged man myself, i liked it.

wouldn't want to watch it again though. that would be too detrimental for my brain. :D

Inception

Great movie. High-concept, fast paced and well acted. Christopher Nolan is now my favorite director. He just churns out great stuff. This movie is guaranteed to get you talking and debating after you've watched it. Not so much a twist involved, rather its a complicated but well executed film.

9/10

im a bit disappointd with sorcere's apprentice

i feel like it a cliche apprentice movie

there were times na medyo inaantok pa ko

i think he movie lacks some thrill and gulat factor in it

it was kind of predictable

nick was good though (as usual)

6.5/10 for me

well its just me though :)

feeling ko better version lang sya nung The Forbidden Kingdom

some say inception has a very complicated plot and needs to be viewed 2x before getting it..

i say its simple.. just go along the story line and remember the dialogues.

very entertaining and cute and witty yung architect girl :)

Yes, it is complicated enough - it actually took me a couple of viewings before everything got to sink in - but there are good enough action sequences to sate the red-blooded men in the audiences (as if Marion Cotillard isn't enough to get one's loins aflame)

The "architect" girl...that's Ellen Page!!! She's gone a long way from her tomboyish Juno McGuffin character

Inception

My thoughts about the movie

The movie is one of the most original (if not only original) movie I've ever seen and has a plot (story, whatever you want to make out of it) that will make your head spin

Sabi ng date ko na-bobo daw siya dahil sa concept ng movie

The movie is well written. A very smart movie for its genre.

The cast has a somewhat odd chemistry but for some reason it really works, and the performance of Ken Watanabe and Joseph Gordon-Levitt is really something to ponder

All in all it's a movie that will make you think for days and an ending that will make you say OMG! What the hell?

I'm not surprised if it wins an Oscar, Christopher Nolan should get a big pat on the back and those Warner Bros exec should say Good Job Dude!

Overall Rating 10/10

Hindi Sayang Pera ninyo lalo na kung sa iMAX ninyo siya papanoorin kasi High Definition siya hehehe

• 2 weeks later...