The Football Thread

Labuyo

ayos ang transfer market, the best tlga ang EPL, ang dynamic ng league with its changes as well its style of play, astig :)...

yeah and with foreign owners taking over a lot of teams, i honestly believe this would lead to the demise of the EPL.. give it 6-8 years time..

remember you read it here first. ;)

Edited by bubuy

guys, just a a question, i want to hear your comments. with the sudden investment of the abu dhabi united group and their very very deep pockets, do you think that this will become beneficial to the premier league and in general to the game itself? would these mean a more entertaining and dynamic pace of the game. How will players and clubs themselves benefit or demise from this seemingly infinite source of money?

post-25839-1220543542.jpg

guys, just a a question, i want to hear your comments. with the sudden investment of the abu dhabi united group and their very very deep pockets, do you think that this will become beneficial to the premier league and in general to the game itself? would these mean a more entertaining and dynamic pace of the game. How will players and clubs themselves benefit or demise from this seemingly infinite source of money?

I think if the sudden influx of money in the BPL would be used properly, we could see the league go higher by being the "home" of the biggest names in the game, showcasing their talent week in and out (except during internationals week). Basicaly, the EPL will be the "home" of the who's who in the footie world therefore making it more entertaining to say the least.

Another good reason would be, the increase of competitivity between the clubs. It has always been about ARS,CHE,LIV,MAN UTD (atleast in recent memory) it would be fun to see the likes of BLA,EVE,TOT,NEW heck even MANC to put on a good show and give the big 4 a run for thier money.

And I don't belive money is infinite.

speaking of money, i wonder how much bunyodkor (or whatever that team in uzbekistan is called) is paying rivaldo? they offered eto'o $30million a year...it has to be a pretty hefty sum considering rivaldo got offers from the mls and australia as well. imagine living in uzbekistan over the us and australia?

at first, i thought, my favorite player is a joke now - playing in uzbekistan. but then i thought if i were in his shoes, i'd do the same: go for the money. twilight of his career, might as well make the most of it.

Italy, Germany, Crotia, Portugal, England win their World Cup qualifiers but Argentina draw with Paraguay, 1-1, while France suffer a disastrous 3-1 loss to Austria, ranked 101 in the world, patay na nman ang French hehehe :)

having rich owners in the epl doesn't really change anything, it just makes the league more exciting because they're will be more influx of great talent but what still matters is which 11 players play the best together, for example chelsea, ac milan, liverpool, barcelona, and real madrid have lots of cash but chelsea, ac milan, liverpool and barcelona did not win a trophy last year (correct me if i'm wrong please :D ) and real madrid won la liga but lost to sevilla in the spanish super cup final and recently lost to numancia in their opening match; having lots of money is great but great leadership, chemistry and teamwork are still keys for success..:)

great point redshirt, now several teams in the EPL are emerging to challenge for the top4 places of the league, eventhough Spurs and Blackburn are having a disastrous start, both teams have great potential for success, other teams who I think will be challenge this season are Portsmouth, Middlesborough and Manchester City..Bottom clubs Sunderland, Hull City, and Wigan Athletic are also playing great football early in the season

Edited by _eRon_
Italy, Germany, Crotia, Portugal, England win their World Cup qualifiers but Argentina draw with Paraguay, 1-1, while France suffer a disastrous 3-1 loss to Austria, ranked 101 in the world, patay na nman ang French hehehe :)

having rich owners in the epl doesn't really change anything, it just makes the league more exciting because they're will be more influx of great talent but what still matters is which 11 players play the best together, for example chelsea, ac milan, liverpool, barcelona, and real madrid have lots of cash but chelsea, ac milan, liverpool and barcelona did not win a trophy last year (correct me if i'm wrong please :D ) and real madrid won la liga but lost to sevilla in the spanish super cup final and recently lost to numancia in their opening match; having lots of money is great but great leadership, chemistry and teamwork are still keys for success..:)

great point redshirt, now several teams in the EPL are emerging to challenge for the top4 places of the league, eventhough Spurs and Blackburn are having a disastrous start, both teams have great potential for success, other teams who I think will be challenge this season are Portsmouth, Middlesborough and Manchester City..Bottom clubs Sunderland, Hull City, and Wigan Athletic are also playing great football early in the season

i beg to disagree.

liverpool does not have that much spending power as compared to ac milan, barcelona, and real madrid. the three teams have the best players they can buy, whilst rafa chooses your usual squad player (with the exception of torres so far).

for instance, if youve watched the champs league final between ac milan and liverpool 3 years ago, youd really think that liverpool was going to be massacred.

AC MILAN

Dida

Cafu,Maldini,Stam,Nesta

Gattuso,Seedorf,Pirlo,Kaka,

Shevchenko,Crespo

Literally all the players are world level superstars

whereas for liverpool..

LIVERPOOL

Dudek

Finnan(46),Traore,Hyypia,Carragher

Riise,Gerrard,Luis Garcia,Alonso

Kewell(23),Baros(84)

for non-footballing fans, the only name they can pick out would be gerrard.

my point is, liverpool doesnt need that much money to win cups, yes you were right they ddnt win one last year. blame it on the management mishap, players were being distracted because of this.

another team that comes into mind that doesnt need that much cash is of course arsenal. others include, werder bremen (GER) and sevilla (spain).

tottenham and man city have joined the bandwagon of teams who have a bottomless bank account. these are of course, chelsea, man utd, ac milan, real madrid, barca,

yes, i agree, having lots of money is great but great leadership, chemistry and teamwork are still keys for success..:)

heres a neat list that goes to show who has the largest spending power in the EPL.

Top 10 Premier League Transfers

1. Robinho: Real Madrid to Manchester City - £32.5m (2008)

2. Dimitar Berbatov: Tottenham to Manchester United - £30.75m (2008)

3. Andriy Shevchenko: AC Milan to Chelsea - £30m (2006)

4. Rio Ferdinand: Leeds to Manchester United - £29.1m (2002)

5. Juan Sebastian Veron: Lazio to Manchester United - £28.1m (2001)

6. Michael Essien: Lyon to Chelsea - £24.43m (2005)

7. Didier Drogba: Marseille to Chelsea - £24m (2004)

8. Wayne Rooney: Everton to Manchester United - £23m initially (2004)

9. Shaun Wright-Phillips: Manchester City to Chelsea - £21m (2005)

10. Fernando Torres: Atletico Madrid to Liverpool - £20m (2007)

well there you have a point, liverpool, arsenal, sevilla and werder bremen may not match-up financially with chelsea, ac milan, real, barsa and manutd but we agree on the need for leadership, chemistry and teamwork for success in football :)

si rafa talaga di pa din makuha ang tamang timpla sa kanyang team; the way he did right during the 2005 CL campaign, i still object with his style of mix-matching his players in different competitions; he always gets slack from the espn team because he doesn't give adequate time for his players to gel..

si wenger nman; he still wasn't able to get the holding midfielder he was looking for, eboue for me is still not good enough, as compared to their past players who played in that position: vieira, flamini or hleb..eto talaga poblema ng arsenal..

nasa market2x ko kahapon, may sale ng nike, pero walang mga manutd shirts or jerseys, badtrip!! puro arsenal and barcelona; un lagi napapansin ko sa nike shops dito sa pinas; i've been all over pero puro barsa and gunnars lang meron; i really thought nike philippines is favoring barsa and the gunnars..pero maganda yun naging point ng gf ko: "Kaya wala lagi manutd shirt or jersey sa nike stores dito sa pinas, kasi yun ang mabenta, kaya ganun, marami lagi arsenal and barsa shirts and jerseys!!hehehe" ->wais talaga ng gf ko mwahahahahahaha!! go manutd!!! :)

Edited by _eRon_
well there you have a point, liverpool, arsenal, sevilla and werder bremen may not match-up financially with chelsea, ac milan, real, barsa and manutd but we agree on the need for leadership, chemistry and teamwork for success in football :)

si rafa talaga di pa din makuha ang tamang timpla sa kanyang team; the way he did right during the 2005 CL campaign, i still object with his style of mix-matching his players in different competitions; he always gets slack from the espn team because he doesn't give adequate time for his players to gel..

si wenger nman; he still wasn't able to get the holding midfielder he was looking for, eboue for me is still not good enough, as compared to their past players who played in that position: vieira, flamini or hleb..eto talaga poblema ng arsenal..

nasa market2x ko kahapon, may sale ng nike, pero walang mga manutd shirts or jerseys, badtrip!! puro arsenal and barcelona; un lagi napapansin ko sa nike shops dito sa pinas; i've been all over pero puro barsa and gunnars lang meron; i really thought nike philippines is favoring barsa and the gunnars..pero maganda yun naging point ng gf ko: "Kaya wala lagi manutd shirt or jersey sa nike stores dito sa pinas, kasi yun ang mabenta, kaya ganun, marami lagi arsenal and barsa shirts and jerseys!!hehehe" ->wais talaga ng gf ko mwahahahahahaha!! go manutd!!! :)

eboue is a natural right back, hes just using him there as a utility man due to the absence of flamini.

well everyone is entitled to their own opinion with regards to rafa. At least despite the criticism being received hes not in the likes of King Kev and Curbishley. not to mention the owners of manc city, Thaksin Shinawatra.

give him more time, as man utd did with Sir alex 16 years ago, and the trophies will come.

rafa is a mechanical engineer, still looking for the best parts at value sale at a surplus store and removing pieces that disrupt the chemistry of the team.

brazil 3 chile 0

despite the flattering scoreline, we can safely say brazil is no longer brazil. the last matches of brazil (including the olympics) were disheartening - they looked like germany. the magic, the attacking flair, the artistry and sophistication that the world loved about the brazilians is no longer there. instead, they rely on "effective" physical play and the counter attack.

what is it with the counter anyway? most national teams seem to have adapted this style. in fact, the most attractive national team lately is russia (especially against sweden and the dutch in the recent euros). what is the world coming to?

brazil 3 chile 0

despite the flattering scoreline, we can safely say brazil is no longer brazil. the last matches of brazil (including the olympics) were disheartening - they looked like germany. the magic, the attacking flair, the artistry and sophistication that the world loved about the brazilians is no longer there. instead, they rely on "effective" physical play and the counter attack.

what is it with the counter anyway? most national teams seem to have adapted this style. in fact, the most attractive national team lately is russia (especially against sweden and the dutch in the recent euros). what is the world coming to?

blame it on skyrocketing wages and management problems.

1- for country, its all about pride and honor. for club, its about millions of pounds. in a very pragmatic world amidst inflation and recession, its not hard to choose among the two. incentive scheme is much more better for club level.

2- management problems are hitting everywhere, capello, domenech, KK, curbishley. i agree with the andorran coach that hes better than capello. i mean ur playing up against a team ranked 186th, and with a team filled with so-called superstars, you only achieve 2-0? wth. hes just in there for the money and glamour. domenech a nomad right now, cant choose the right players. KK, well, in connection with wages, the tripartite relationship in the toon camp hadnt blended too well. curbishleys a joke. nuff said.

Edited by duchessXI

what a win by england against croatia, beating the croats 4-1 in zagreb, theo walcott with a hatrick and rooney scoring 1 for the three lions :)

portugal got upset by denmark, 3-2, while france is back in winning form by beating serbia, 2-1, with goals from henry and anelka; mukhang safe na ulit ang coaching job ni domenech pansamantala hehehe :)

what a win by england against croatia, beating the croats 4-1 in zagreb, theo walcott with a hatrick and rooney scoring 1 for the three lions :)

portugal got upset by denmark, 3-2, while france is back in winning form by beating serbia, 2-1, with goals from henry and anelka; mukhang safe na ulit ang coaching job ni domenech pansamantala hehehe :)

you have to give props to emile heskey. everyone was questioning his inclusion in the squad but he was excellent! strong in the air and holding up play for rooney and walcott to play off on.

domenech should still go. i read somewhere that during one of france's goals, everyone in the field and the bench congratulated each other but no one even shook domenech's hand. haha - buti nga.

tama ka biggyprox, without c.ronaldo, portugal is missing one of its key members in attack..

at least, the three lions has banished the past ghosts of losing 2 straight matches to croatia, mukhang narevitalize na ang world cup campaign nila, sana tuloy2x na hanggang South Africa 2010 :)..tama nga ang pundits sa ESPN, capello should take chances with youth, rooney and walcott teaming up to win the game for england pero siyempre take nothing away from heskey, well experience to help the 2 young fellows to score goals :)