The Football Thread

Labuyo

one of the best lefties ive seen aside from roberto carlos ian harte, and robben. good professional.

its a shame though that he left the european stage and international scene with brazil so early in his career.

know why? its be cause ronaldinho stole the limelight from him.

but do you see the progression? ronnie being out of favour in barca, now just recently transferred to ac milan. the same teams rivaldo played in.

i think i see wer ronnies headed at next. olympiakos. lol

it was actually louis van gaal who forced rivaldo out. rivaldo and van gaal were already butting heads when van gaal managed barcelona till 2000. van gaal was then hired to coach the dutch team which eventually failed to reach the 2002 world cup, the same tournament where rivaldo shined in brazil's win. the dutch fa fired van gaal and in one of the worst decisions in blaugarana history, barca management rehired van gaal in 2002. his first move was to release rivaldo, who wanted to stay. rivaldo was even quoted "i'd play goalkeeper if that meant i could stay with barcelona". van gaal lasted half a season before he was fired. but the damage was done: barcelona ended up in 6th place in the league, their lowest in decades.

ronaldinho joined barcelona the season after, in 2003.

pero i hope ronaldinho does fare better than rivaldo did in milan. he has a better chance, since milan now has a more free flow feel to them as opposed to the structured style they had before, which did not suit creative players.

I agree Rivaldo was a force to reckon with during his hay day....

Sadly Rivaldo lost his shine when he infamously "won" the best actor award during 2002 world cup....

another brazilian nominatedfor best actor but did not win :rolleyes:

anyone monitoring olympic football?

olympics starts tomorrow i think. big setback is the courts ruled that the clubs can prevent their players from joining the olympics.

barcelona again looking good in preseason, this time dominating ny redbulls 6-2. eto'o again leading the way with 2 goals. hello? is there any question still that eto'o should stay?

first half highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cREdYFmfSM

valdes is the only weak link in this team.

Edited by damaso
olympics starts tomorrow i think. big setback is the courts ruled that the clubs can prevent their players from joining the olympics.

barcelona again looking good in preseason, this time dominating ny redbulls 6-2. eto'o again leading the way with 2 goals. hello? is there any question still that eto'o should stay?

first half highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cREdYFmfSM

valdes is the only weak link in this team.

Rafa actually allowed three of his players to play in the olympics.

babel (holland) 21

mascherano (argentina) 23

lucas leiva (brazil) 21

all youngsters with rich international experience on their way..