The Football Thread

Labuyo

If ever Fabregas leaves Arsenal..it will most likely be for Barca..as I previously stated he is a Catalunian and will never ever don a Madrid jersey..I could not think of a player that hopped from Barca to Madrid..only 1..that is Figo...what the heck he Portugese anyway...well he is bound to Arsenal for several more years... i wish!

Its Real Madrid who prefers swashbuckling football- thats why Capello was fired. Real Madrid has always preferred football that is pleasing to its fans- which is attacking football. Capello, in some ways, resemble Mourinho the way they assemble their tactics.

As for players that moved from Barca to Madrid, well there are plenty unfortunately, and are considered legends in both squads. Madrid's new manager- Bernd Schuster is considered a Barca legend. And Figo is not the only galactico that "betrayed" Barca, Ronaldo who used to spearhead Real's attack is also considered a Barca legend. So, if Fabregas chooses to move, he wont be the last. And then you have Saviola... On the other hand, Etoo is formerly from Real Madrid until they insulted him by mispelling his name on his contract and failed to pick-up the lost kid at the airport...

As for Arsenal, I can only hope they give a good fight next season... on paper, Liverpool has better edge over Arsenal, with their new signings, Babel and whew! Torres... But then again, you win on the pitch, not on paper.

Its sad, I havent seen Copa America..hopefully when i get my own place then i can start buying some stuff Im just starting out..I read that Argentina did very well, particularly Messi. It would have been better if Mexico and Argentina met in the finals, instead of Brazil.

cesc fabregas, arjen robben and kaka (madrid summer targets) will all be staying put.

after giving it some thought, i think chelsea (mainly bec of robben staying and florent malouda signing) and fc barca (henry, toure, abidal and now, milito) have outdone real (failing to lure a high profile midfielder) in the transfer market this season.. with only pepe, metzelder and saviola coming on board, real would be hardpressed to compete in both primera liga and ecl..

and the most disappointing of it all (at least for me) is that gabi milito is going to barca!!! i have been saying it here in mtc since 2 years ago, they should've gotten milito to orchestrate and lead the back four.. and now he is going to our main rivals.. tsk tsk tsk..

the loss of beckham for real madrid didn't help their cause too, becks was a quality right winger & provided rm with quality free kicks..rm need more quality wingplay if they want raul&ruud to score goals :)

ang galing ng iraq, they beat australia 3-1 in the asian cup, the socceroos were in it during the 1st half but the iraqis looked the better side during the 2nd half..japan, korea and china are playing great as well as all the southeast asian sides namely indonesia, malaysia, thailand & vietnam (incidentally they are all co-hosts of the asian cup, iba tlga natutulong ng home court advantage)..sayang naman na wala team natin dito :(..

here are the signings of some of the teams in the EPL :)

MANUTD - Nani (Sporting, undisclosed), Anderson, (Porto, undisclosed), Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich, undisclosed), Carlos Tevez (West Ham United, undisclosed)

CHELSEA - Steve Sidwell (Reading, free), Danny Philliskirk (Oldham, undisclosed), Claudio Pizarro (Bayern Munich, free), Tal Ben Haim (Bolton Wanderers, free), Florent Malouda (Lyon, undisclosed)

LIVERPOOL - Fernando Torres (Atletico Madrid, undisclosed), Krisztian Nemeth, Andras Simon (both MTK Hungaria, undisclosed), Andriy Voronin (Bayer Leverkusen, free), Yossi Benayoun (West Ham United, undisclosed), Ryan Babel (Ajax, £11.5million)

ARSENAL - Lukasz Fabianski (Legia Warsaw, undisclosed), Eduardo da Silva (Dinamo Zagreb, undisclosed), Bacary Sagna (Auxerre, undisclosed)

BOLTON - Jlloyd Samuel (Aston Villa, free), Gavin McCann (Aston Villa, undisclosed), Danny Guthrie (Liverpool, season loan)

TOTTENHAM - Gareth Bale (Southampton, undisclosed), Darren Bent (Charlton Athletic, £16.5million), Younes Kaboul (Auxerre, undisclosed)

NEWCASTLE - Mark Viduka (Middlesbrough, free), Joey Barton (Manchester City, £5.8million), David Rozehnal (Paris St Germain, £3.1million), Geremi (Chelsea, free)

WEST HAM - Scott Parker (Newcastle United, £7million), Julien Faubert (Bordeaux, £6.1million), Richard Wright (Everton, free), Craig Bellamy (Liverpool, £7.5million)

:D

the loss of beckham for real madrid didn't help their cause too, becks was a quality right winger & provided rm with quality free kicks..rm need more quality wingplay if they want raul&ruud to score goals :)

ang galing ng iraq, they beat australia 3-1 in the asian cup, the socceroos were in it during the 1st half but the iraqis looked the better side during the 2nd half..japan, korea and china are playing great as well as all the southeast asian sides namely indonesia, malaysia, thailand & vietnam (incidentally they are all co-hosts of the asian cup, iba tlga natutulong ng home court advantage)..sayang naman na wala team natin dito :(..

here are the signings of some of the teams in the EPL :)

MANUTD - Nani (Sporting, undisclosed), Anderson, (Porto, undisclosed), Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich, undisclosed), Carlos Tevez (West Ham United, undisclosed)

CHELSEA - Steve Sidwell (Reading, free), Danny Philliskirk (Oldham, undisclosed), Claudio Pizarro (Bayern Munich, free), Tal Ben Haim (Bolton Wanderers, free), Florent Malouda (Lyon, undisclosed)

LIVERPOOL - Fernando Torres (Atletico Madrid, undisclosed), Krisztian Nemeth, Andras Simon (both MTK Hungaria, undisclosed), Andriy Voronin (Bayer Leverkusen, free), Yossi Benayoun (West Ham United, undisclosed), Ryan Babel (Ajax, £11.5million)

ARSENAL - Lukasz Fabianski (Legia Warsaw, undisclosed), Eduardo da Silva (Dinamo Zagreb, undisclosed), Bacary Sagna (Auxerre, undisclosed)

BOLTON - Jlloyd Samuel (Aston Villa, free), Gavin McCann (Aston Villa, undisclosed), Danny Guthrie (Liverpool, season loan)

TOTTENHAM - Gareth Bale (Southampton, undisclosed), Darren Bent (Charlton Athletic, £16.5million), Younes Kaboul (Auxerre, undisclosed)

NEWCASTLE - Mark Viduka (Middlesbrough, free), Joey Barton (Manchester City, £5.8million), David Rozehnal (Paris St Germain, £3.1million), Geremi (Chelsea, free)

WEST HAM - Scott Parker (Newcastle United, £7million), Julien Faubert (Bordeaux, £6.1million), Richard Wright (Everton, free), Craig Bellamy (Liverpool, £7.5million)

:D

Geremi is now part of the Toon Army!

Edited by redshirt
with the imminent coming of carlos tevez... i bet na may aangal sa manchester united dahil nabawasan ang playing time n'ya... :D

most likeley it's going to be O'shea or Fletcher.

I saw goal 2 a while ago.... Now that Becks is in America, the only thing he "REALLY" won was the UEFA Champion's League Final.....

Oh wait! That only happened in a world where in Nick Cannon is a footballer named TJ Harper! :P

Edited by redshirt

the agent of carlos tevez has given a statement that weds next week, tevez will have his medical at old trafford and by the end of next week he will sign for manutd :)..

the players most likely to leave old trafford this season is kieran richardson who has been rumored to go to either everton or sunderland (with the manager, roy keane, trying to lure the leftback to the black cats)..

alan smith is also being rumored to go to everton due to the tevez signing as he has been demoted in the forward pecking order with the red devils having rooney, saha, & solskjaer, but smith is still determined to fight for his place in the 1st team..:)

Its Real Madrid who prefers swashbuckling football- thats why Capello was fired. Real Madrid has always preferred football that is pleasing to its fans- which is attacking football. Capello, in some ways, resemble Mourinho the way they assemble their tactics.As for players that moved from Barca to Madrid, well there are plenty unfortunately, and are considered legends in both squads. Madrid's new manager- Bernd Schuster is considered a Barca legend. And Figo is not the only galactico that "betrayed" Barca, Ronaldo who used to spearhead Real's attack is also considered a Barca legend. So, if Fabregas chooses to move, he wont be the last. And then you have Saviola... On the other hand, Etoo is formerly from Real Madrid until they insulted him by mispelling his name on his contract and failed to pick-up the lost kid at the airport... As for Arsenal, I can only hope they give a good fight next season... on paper, Liverpool has better edge over Arsenal, with their new signings, Babel and whew! Torres... But then again, you win on the pitch, not on paper. Its sad, I havent seen Copa America..hopefully when i get my own place then i can start buying some stuff Im just starting out..I read that Argentina did very well, particularly Messi. It would have been better if Mexico and Argentina met in the finals, instead of Brazil.
1. Bernd Schuster is German2. Figo is Portugese3. Ronaldo is Brazilian4. Saviola is ArgentinianHow can you compare the mentality of these foreigners to a Catalunian like Fabregas?...read up on Spanish history and you will know...there is an ingrained animosity between the 2 regions of Spain...Para mo na ring sinabi na pwede magsigasigaan si FPJ sa Cavite...nde pwede galit si Nardong Putik...Just like all of you guys...cant wait till August for the EPL season kick off
wow what a come from behind win by bahrain, against korea pa, astig, the best tlga asian cup this year, dami upsets, thats football for you :D..
I seen in the news that Australia lost to Iraq 2-1....nde nakaya ng powers ni Viduka...tsk tsk
1. Bernd Schuster is German2. Figo is Portugese3. Ronaldo is Brazilian4. Saviola is ArgentinianHow can you compare the mentality of these foreigners to a Catalunian like Fabregas?...read up on Spanish history and you will know...there is an ingrained animosity between the 2 regions of Spain...Para mo na ring sinabi na pwede magsigasigaan si FPJ sa Cavite...nde pwede galit si Nardong Putik...Just like all of you guys...cant wait till August for the EPL season kick offI seen in the news that Australia lost to Iraq 2-1....nde nakaya ng powers ni Viduka...tsk tsk

Well, don't forget Alfredo Di Stefano, Madrid santched him also from Barca. I don't see any concern as far as Fabregas joining madird,well, except for his parents who said to felt bad when he joined the gunners. Though, it's a good point that you mentioned the nationalities of ex-Barca players who joined Madrid and the animosity between the 2 cities.

Anyway, any news as far as transfer season is concerned?

jerzey dudek's a nice free transfer signing by RM.. he will keep iker working hard for his place in the madrid XI..

my wishlist for RM:

Andrea Pirlo - yeah yeah i know, an italian playing for the european champions, farfetched.. but hey who knows..

Edited by bubuy
fabio cannavaro? antonio cassano?

cannavaro was able to demand a transfer easily because juve was demoted (and probably needed money) and cassano was at odds with roma management over his contract renewal and a falling out with roma captain francesco totti..

i think cassano would soon be out of RM though, the differences between player and club has reached a point wherein a transfer would be imminent..

1. Bernd Schuster is German2. Figo is Portugese3. Ronaldo is Brazilian4. Saviola is ArgentinianHow can you compare the mentality of these foreigners to a Catalunian like Fabregas?...read up on Spanish history and you will know...there is an ingrained animosity between the 2 regions of Spain...Para mo na ring sinabi na pwede magsigasigaan si FPJ sa Cavite...nde pwede galit si Nardong Putik...Just like all of you guys...cant wait till August for the EPL season kick offI seen in the news that Australia lost to Iraq 2-1....nde nakaya ng powers ni Viduka...tsk tsk

Good point. I'm faintly aware of Catalonia's independence struggles. It will just depend on Fabregas though, whether the call of money could lure him to Madrid or if his pride as a Catalonian will stop him. Personally, Id really want him to see in Barca colors! I almost forgot my patients at the ER last time i watched Arsenal vs Barca at 3 am live. Go Barca!

I hope Smith will not leave ManU. Solskjaer is quite old and injury-prone so he would provide good cover for him.

Just an observation, why do italian teams feature old dudes in the squads? is it the style of play? ive seen how they play only to wake up and realize its already morning. defensive?

another question, what channels that regularly feature soccer games and what cable companies that offer these channels? what about satellite? i was enjoying the first half of the world cup in palawan and returned to manila only to find that theyre exclusive. damn! i want to avoid lousy local networks and their telenovelas. any suggestion? thanks!

update on the tevez saga:

West Ham Refuse Tevez Medical

West Ham have refused Manchester United permission to give Carlos Tevez a medical as the stand-off between the two clubs goes on.

The Argentine ace returned to England following Sunday's Copa America final defeat and was expected to undergo a medical examination at Old Trafford on Wednesday.

However, after talks involving West Ham chairman Eggert Magnusson and United lawyer Maurice Watkins in London today there was no resolution over the future of the 23-year-old, who has been the centre of so much controversy since his arrival from Corinthians 11 months ago.

A West Ham spokesman told PA Sport: "Meetings have taken place between the two clubs but no agreement has been reached in relation to Carlos Tevez."

Manchester United will have to wait for West Ham's approval before they are permitted to give Tevez a medical, but there is still plenty of confusion over who holds Tevez's registration.

West Ham insist they have ownership of the player having terminated all third-party agreements with his representative Kia Joorabchian, but the businessman still claims to own the economic rights to the player.

It is Joorabchian that has reached an agreement with Manchester United, but this will not please the Premier League, who appear to be under the belief that Tevez is owned by West Ham and if it is found that they are not they may be forced into issuing further punishment.

United's chief executive David Gill had earlier said: "Effectively, we are trying to work with four parties - the player, West Ham, the company who own Carlos' economic rights and the Premier League - in order to sort it out.

"The process is ongoing. The player will have a medical at some point this week, then we will take it from there.

"We still have to sort out the paperwork but we are confident that can be achieved in the course of the next week or so."

Fergie Admits Heinze Wants Out

Following speculation of his departure to Liverpool, Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson has hinted that Gabriel Heinze is likely to leave Old Trafford this summer.

Heinze was usurped by Patrice Evra for the left-back position at United last season, but has recently said that he was comfortable at Old Trafford. However in a change of stance, the Argentinean later stated that following the Copa America, he would consider his future.

Now that the competition is over, he may act on interest shown in him from Real Madrid, Juventus, Newcastle and most controversially, Liverpool. Indeed following comments from his manager on the situation, the exit door looks the most likely outcome.

Speaking to Sky Sports, Ferguson said: “Gaby's agent has advised us that he wants to move on.

“I am not too sure about that and we do not have a concrete offer from any particular club. But there is some momentum regarding the player's next move in terms of through his agent, even if nothing is close at this moment in time.”

Ferguson would be keen to hold onto Heinze as back-up to the first-team squad, but if the player decides he wants out, he could enforce a Fifa ruling that would allow him to buy-out the remainder of his contract.

RM in the running again to sign the argentinian left back. He would be a useful replacement for the legendary Roberto Carlos. He can easily capture the left back position at madrid as i believe the team doesnt have a solid option in that position as of now.

we still need a winger!!! grrr.

update on the tevez saga:

RM in the running again to sign the argentinian left back. He would be a useful replacement for the legendary Roberto Carlos. He can easily capture the left back position at madrid as i believe the team doesnt have a solid option in that position as of now.

we still need a winger!!! grrr.

Too bad Mourinho is still clinging on to Robben...he would be a good winger for RM...

Just an observation, why do italian teams feature old dudes in the squads? is it the style of play? ive seen how they play only to wake up and realize its already morning. defensive?

Italian teams seem to favor defense much more than offense.....dunno why (could be because of what you said..."they've got old dudes in their team". Maybe they would not be able to sustain a 90 minute running game). Just like you bro, I do get bored watching Italian teams,lest when Gatusso is playing! He's the Jaworski of Italy!

Have you seen the USA v Italy game during the last world cup?.....Classic! parang 300 (ung movie) 90 minutes of blood and gore!