The Football Thread

Labuyo

Robben is only 23.. i think..

i hope RM can land Cesc Fabregas.. i really see him as the man that would orchestrate and boss the midfield ala Zidane despite being only in his early 20s..

some news

Angry Milan Will Not Respond To AS Over Kaka Claims

The Rossoneri do not want to continue being involved in the Kaka stories being published by the Spanish newspaper 'AS'.

The war between Milan and AS continues as the Rossoneri have taken a stand against the Spanish newspaper and will not continue responding to the 'invented' stories by AS.

In fact, on Sunday, AS published a story where it stated that Kaka has demanded a move to Madrid, something which the Italian giants categorically denied.

In the meantime, Milan have published an announcement on their official website.

"AC Milan announces that from today onwards, they will not respond to the lies published by the daily Spanish newspaper 'AS' with regards to the unreal transfer of Kaka to Real Madrid."

However, this will unlikely stop AS from publishing further stories on this transfer as the Merengues will continue to try to convince the newly crowned European Champions to let their star player go.

No Preference Between Milan, Chelsea And Inter, Insists Pato

Brazilian whiz-kid Pato Alexandre has acknowledged that Milan, Inter and Chelsea are all vying for his signature but refused to admit a preference between either of the European giants.

Speaking shortly after his disappointing U-20 World Cup debut during a shock loss to Poland, the 17-year-old insisted that he is equally intrigued by all three of his most determined suitors.

“To be perfectly honest I really don’t have a preference. For me the most important thing is to make the leap towards a great European club,” said the player affectionately nicknamed the duck in his native Brazil.

“To me there is no difference between playing in England or Italy,” he added, “even though I would be amongst a magnificent group of Brazilians in Milan.”

The Rossoneri will indeed be hoping that the presence of Ronaldo, Kakà, Dida, Cafu will prove the decisive factor in Pato’s choice for the future.

However, the latest reports from Italy suggest that Inter’s apparent willingness to shell out 25m Euro for the boy wonder – which is said to be 10m Euro more than Milan are prepared to spend for a player who is yet to turn 18- has put them in the driving seat in the bid to land the 'new Kakà'.

Torres Cuts Short Holiday To Close Deal

Fernando Torres has cut short his summer holiday to return to Madrid where he is locked in talks to iron out the final details of his move from Atlético to Liverpool.

The Spain international striker was asked by both clubs to come back from Polynesia in order to complete the transfer after a fee was agreed as reports that he was demanding €40m over six years was dismissed.

Liverpool have refuted reports that the 23-year-old was holding out for wages of around €150,000-a-week and it is believed that a deal worth €15,000 less has been agreed.

Torres gave his verbal agreement to the move and is now set to compolete the formalities on a deal that would break both clubs' record transfers with €32m changing hands.

The Reds' have proven that they are willing to spend big in order to close the gap with Manchester United and Chelsea and the Torres' transfer dwarfs their previous highest fee paid for Djibril Cisse at €19m in 2004.

Liverpool's chief executive, Rick Parry, was given the task of realising the move for Torres and he is now only hours away from being able to announce that it is official.

The reaction of the Atlético de Madrid supporters who held a protest in the Spanish capital last week should be softened after los Colchoneros brought in Diego Forlán and Juan Román Riquelme.

Ricardo Quaresma is also said to be close to agreeing a switch to Vicente Calderón, meaning that the club could have a stronger squad that last term even without Torres.

While the Liverpool front line is being strengthened, the Reds are close to snapping up Gabriel Heinze from Manchester United.

Inter And Madrid Set For Diarra-Adriano Talks

The Corriere dello Sport are reporting that Inter Milan and Real Madrid are ready to begin discussions over a swap deal involving Adriano and Mahamadou Diarra.

Following’s Suazo signing, Inter are now focusing on finalising Cristian Chivu’s transfer, so that they can move on and focus on strengthening the midfield department.

The idea is that if Inter would not manage to net a playmaker who could substitute Figo, then president Moratti would follow coach Roberto Mancini’s advice to chase Real Madrid’s Mahamadou Diarria.

It is understood that Real Madrid could be willing to sell him, only on the condition that Inter would offer a cash-plus Adriano deal.

In fact, the Merengues are in search for a striker would could make up for Van Nistelrooy, who is currently out injured.

The Dutchman will miss the pre-season, and return only just in time for the start of the La Liga season, and the doctors have advised against playing him twice a week at least until October, if not November.

Inter and Real Madrid officials are set to meet soon in order to discuss the transfer.

Robben is only 23.. i think..

i hope RM can land Cesc Fabregas.. i really see him as the man that would orchestrate and boss the midfield ala Zidane despite being only in his early 20s..

some news

but he looks way older than becks :P I think it's because of his hair.

If RM lands Fabregas... Whats going to happen to ARS? That would mean another loss of their key player.

but he looks way older than becks :P I think it's because of his hair.

If RM lands Fabregas... Whats going to happen to ARS? That would mean another loss of their key player.

Fabregas would never end up in a RM shirt...he is a Catalan native and there is now ay that you will see him don a RM jersey. If he is to leave Arsenal..it would be again to Barcelona..though this would not happen it the next 8 years...

Arsenal Football Club can confirm that terms have been agreed with Dinamo Zagreb for the transfer of striker Eduardo Da Silva on a four year contract for an undisclosed fee, subject to a medical.

damn, liverpool is really breaking the bank to get fernando torres, 32million for the spanish striker..i really hoped that if he stayed another year in atletico madrid, manutd can get him next year hehehe :D..

The F.Torres - Liverpool negotiation's over. He finally agreed to join the reds.

west ham has signed france midfielder julien faubert.

though relatively unknown, he is the heir to zidane's no. 10 shirt for france...

Faubert is a promising midfielder, pero ang alam ko he's more of a right winger than a central.

Eduardo daSilva is Dinamo Zagreb (and the Croatian league's) top scorer for the past two seaseons already. I'm sure he can do well with the Gunners.

Also, Cesc will not leave Arsenal (unless Wenger leaves).

damn, with Fernando Torres as well as their new additions this year, i think the Reds can really challenge not only in the EPL but in the CL too..

Newcastle are starting to look like true contenders under Big Sam's management, excited na ko magstart ang new season ng EPL..at siyempre gusto ko ManUtd ko ulit magchampion ehehehe :D

Adu Hat Trick at U20 WC

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2007/July/04...trick-at-u20-wc

Written by: Richard DeLaurell

Montreal (July 4) US captain Freddy Adu scored three times here last night, to lead his side to a 6-1 Group D victory over Poland at the U20 World Cup finals currently underway in Canada.

"Today just happened to be one of those days where it worked out great," said the 18 year old striker who combined with teammate Danny Szetela for five of the US' final tally.

"In the first game I didnt take any shots, said Adu of his performance in the team's earlier group match, a 1-1 draw with Korea Republic. I think tonight, as a team, we were more aggressive about shooting the ball."

As well as earning man-of-the-match honors, Adu's three goals earned him a place in history as the only player ever to score a hat trick in both the U17-, and U20 World Cup finals; his previous one coming against Korea in 2003.

The win puts coach Thomas Rongen's US squad at the head of Group D with one match to play against the much-favored team from Brazil on Friday.

The second stage of the U20 World Cup begins July 11 with the final set for the 22d.

Damn, i watched the vid, this kid is good, he has speed&skill, i hope he can play in the epl, dpat sa ManUtd hehe..

Dong Fangzhuo, China´s next superstar?

Written by: AFP

http://manilatonight.com/index.php?showtop...&start=3520

KUALA LUMPUR (AFP) - If anyone can kick the Chinese juggernaut into life at the Asian Cup, it is probably Manchester United forward Dong Fangzhuo.

Big, quick and with a knack for goals, the talented 22-year-old has caught the eye of Sir Alex Ferguson since joining the Premier League champions -- and not just for his marketing potential.

Despite being loaned to Belgium's Royal Antwerp until he became eligible to play in England, Dong has impressed, finishing his first season as the league's top scorer.

"Dong has been doing exceptionally well and scoring a lot of goals at Antwerp," the Manchester United coach said.

"He's got some terrific attributes. He is lightning quick, has a marvellous physique and is a very athletic boy."

Dong was rewarded with a first-team debut in May against Chelsea, albeit after the Premiership title was already won.

But the gesture was an unmistakeable reward for his patience and hard work since signing from Dalian Shide for 500,000 pounds (991,000 dollars) in January 2004.

Dong had to wait another 18 months for his chance but he grabbed it when it came, scoring in a friendly against Hong Kong in his first appearance in United's colours.

"He was under a lot of pressure and he did very well -- and the best way to make an impression is to score a goal," commented defender Gary Neville.

Further accolades came after Dong hit the late winner in a 2006 tour match against South Africa's Kaiser Chiefs.

"The goal Dong scored to win the game was a great example of a young player showing composure and taking his time with a chance when he could have taken it first time. He waited and picked his shot," enthused Ferguson.

Meanwhile, Dong has been steadily building his international experience, scoring his first goal for China against Switzerland last year.

In January, he signed a contract extension that will keep him at United until 2010.

A successful Asian Cup, and regular appearances for his club, could soon transform him into China's biggest football superstar.

*Liverpool clarifies transfer cost of Fernando Torres last night at Sportscenter, he was bought for 40million not 54million..damn, thats a lot of money pero i think he is worth the money, especially for the reds who are searching for a forward who can score consistently..exciting na tlga ang EPL this coming August :)

United close to Tevez deal: reports

Written by: AFP

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2007/July/5/...z-deal-reports/

LONDON (AFP) - Manchester United are on the verge of signing Argentina striker Carlos Tevez from West Ham, according to reports in England.

United are believed to have reached an agreement with Tevez and his owner, businessman Kia Joorabchian, to sign the West Ham forward on July 14, when he has finished playing for his country at the Copa America.

Tevez impressed Sir Alex Ferguson with his superb form in the final weeks of the season, which included scoring the winner against United to keep West Ham in the Premiership on the final day of the season.

Ferguson has already spent 50 million pounds bringing Owen Hargreaves, Anderson and Nani to Old Trafford in the close season and the United manager has sanctioned a 20 million pounds move for Tevez.

The 23-year-old, who was a guest of fellow Argentine Gabriel Heinze at United's end of season party, is under contract to West Ham for another three years, but it is uncertain if the London club will actually receive a fee if Tevez leaves.

It is thought that the terms of his controversial move from Corinthians last season included a clause that gives the majority of any transfer fee to Joorabchian rather than the club.

The Hammers are embroiled in a legal dispute with Joorabchian, who runs the company Media Sports Investment (MSI), after the club apparently terminated that agreement.

If Tevez does sign on, it is likely to signal the end of Alan Smith's spell at Old Trafford, with Everton, Aston Villa and Middlesbrough keen on the England striker.

*i think Carlos Tevez is a quality signing for ManUtd, i hope they get him, he has great pace&skill, go ManUtd!! :D

uh oh! One of my favorite strikers has joined the Dark Side :P

Nice. Mukhang ang daming contending ngayon sa EPL sana maka 4th ag toon army like dun sa movie nila. xD Bring in Harris and Munez! If the toon need new good defenders I think they should grab Mexes from AS R.I like that lad his pretty solid.

Sven is now officialy the gaffer of the weaker Manchester team.They might even finish 10th this season!1 to 2 months wait nlanag and start na ng EPS season.

Glory Glory Manchester United!

Reyes Will Be A Madrid Player Next Season - Agent

Real Madrid are holding talks to make José Antonio Reyes' move from Arsenal permanent and his agent is confident that a deal will be pushed through.The Spanish international has made it clear that he does not want to return to the north London outfit and would rather stay at the Bernabéu.After an inconsistent season on loan at Madrid, los Merengues did not appear interested in securing his services his full-time.In-coming coach Bernd Schuster has asked if a bid could be made as he believes that the left-sided midfielder will be an important player next term.Arsenal are not placed a huge price tag on Reyes, according to his representative Jesús Rodríguez de Moya."Reyes doesn't want to return to London," he explained."If the logical steps are taken, Reyes will be a Madrid player next year."Arsenal are not asking for €20m but they are asking for a reasonable fee in accordance with what they paid to Sevilla."The negotiations are on the table."Before Madrid's interest, Reyes was linked with a move to city rivals Atlético and even a return to his former club, Sevilla, was mooted.

Metzelder has landed

"It is a great honour and a great challenge for me to be a part of this team"As soon as he landed in Madrid on Sunday afternoon, Christoph Metzelder went to the Mirasierra Suites Hotel, where he gave an interview to RealmadridTV and Realmadrid.com. He praised his new Club and promised to work hard in order to win titles. Christoph Metzelder arrived at Madrid Airport's T4 approximately at 4 pm. He then went straight to the Mirasierra Suites Hotel, where he will stay until he is officially presented as a Real Madrid player."I am very excited with being here. I signed my contract a few days ago and I can’t wait to get started.""It is an honour and a great challenge for me to have joined Real Madrid, especially after they won the League title last season. Let’s hope the team does well again this year.""This is a dream come true for me and I hope I can help the team to win more titles this season." "I am going to bring to the team what I do best. I will work to strengthen Real Madrid. I wish to adapt in the first few weeks to help the team in all I can.""I have never met any of the players on the squad personally, but I obviously know many of them because they are internationally famous, especially those who play for their national teams. I admire Ruud van Nistelrooy, Cannavaro and Casillas. I think they are very good players."

Benitez Confirms Double Striker Sale

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has confirmed the sale of Craig Bellamy and Djibril Cisse and revealed a hope that Yossi Benayoun will join from West Ham United.West Ham is the destination for Bellamy, who completed his move to Upton Park for a reported £8m, which will earn the Welsh international £75,000 per week.However, any future transfer of Israeli captain Benayoun will follow seperately, although Benitez does believe that the player is keen on making the move to the Champions League runners-up."The deals for Bellamy and Cisse are completed," said Benitez."And any move for Benayoun to join us from West Ham will not be linked with the Bellamy sale. We have made an offer which has been rejected."He is a player I like and would want to sign, and I believe he wants to join us, but that deal will be separate now. We will have to wait and see what happens now next week."Cisse was also linked with a move to West Ham, but chose to stay with Marseille where he had been on loan last season. The transfer fee is believed to be around £6m.Meanwhile reserve winger Paul Anderson has joined Swansea on a season-long loan.

and the best piece of news for Madridistas around the world:

Cesc Wants Arsenal To Hear Madrid's Pleas

According to the Spanish media, Cesc is set for an emotional showdown with his mentor, Arsene Wenger, regarding Real Madrid's transfer interest in the young midfielder.The Sunday edition of Marca reports that Francesc Fabregas, aware of Real Madrid's interest, is set to meet with Arsene Wenger, his sporting father figure, on Wednesday to ask the Frenchman to acknowledge the Spanish side's approach.Despite settling in well at Arsenal and establishing himself as a first team regular, Cesc may yet follow Thierry Henry in departing the Emirates for distant shores - albeit for a very different club.After Arsenal return for pre-season on Wednesday, Cesc is expected to discuss his future with Wenger, with a possible switch to the Bernabeu high on the agenda.Real Madrid are expected to have to pay at least 25 million euros to land the midfield starlet, should Cesc opt to fulfil his ambition of Liga football during the summer transfer window.Wenger would be bitterly disappointed to lose his protege, but may yet decide on another audacious offer for Madrid's Robinho should Cesc insist on a move back to Spain.

Who said that being a Catalan would make you not notice Real Madrid? :P I expect Cesc to pressure Arsene and Arsenal to sell him. :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by bubuy

and the best piece of news for Madridistas around the world:

Who said that being a Catalan would make you not notice Real Madrid? :P I expect Cesc to pressure Arsene and Arsenal to sell him. :thumbsupsmiley:

With the recent movements, particularly with the loss of Henry at Arsenal, I believe that Wenger might follow his direction and Arsenal will no longer attract major players. Wenger is largely instrumental in changing Arsenal's fortunes and his ability to spot talents (like Henry, Viera and yes, Fabregas) and transform them into world-class acts is at par with Ferguson, his long-time EPL rival and admirer.

However, given Arsenal's direction or non-direction, if I am Wenger, I would chose not to renew my contract with Arsenal and pursue another team. And given Real Madrid's penchant for swashbuckling football (Capello who is known for his defensive solidity was still fired despite wrestling the crown from Barca), Wenger is a good match for Madrid. Wenger's French revolution at Arsenal showed the league what swashbuckling style is.

Personally though, I would prefer that Fabregas returns to the Catalan giants and reunite with youth buddies Iniesta and Messi. Their defeat against International showed that Barca lacks a strong midfield anchor and Fabregas can certainly fill that shoes as the lad had shown in its Champions League match against Juventus (versus of all people, Viera).

However, given Arsenal's direction or non-direction, if I am Wenger, I would chose not to renew my contract with Arsenal and pursue another team. And given Real Madrid's penchant for swashbuckling football (Capello who is known for his defensive solidity was still fired despite wrestling the crown from Barca), Wenger is a good match for Madrid. Wenger's French revolution at Arsenal showed the league what swashbuckling style is.

i would've loved wenger transfer to RM but RM recently signed ex real madrid and german international bernd schuster (getafe) to take over capello.

sportscenter just reported that ben-ayoun (tama ba spelling?) has signed for liverpool..

the new manager of real madrid (schulster nga ba?) has declared that their main priority is to sign cesc fabregas of arsenal..

manutd are still close to signing carlos tevez of westham, the only problem is the dispute of who will get the bulk of the 3omillion, west ham or Kia Joorabchian, tevez's rep from the managing firm who brought the 2 argentinians to westham..

nanunuod ba kyo ng asian cup? ayos ang mga upsets ng malaysia&vietnam, katuwa manuod..kawawa lang malaysia sa china, 5-1..:D

wow cesc to rm..

san b mapupunta si cisse? and bkt ang mura nya?

@ redshirt

just dropped kanina sa sm centerpoint, and i went in sa american blvd and saw football jerseys. they sell 2 types. 1 is 500 pesos ung manipis ang tela. and 1 is 900 pesos ung maganda tela and may tatak. i bought an rm shirt; adidas tapos may fifa patch sa right. (blue; alternate away). may chelsea, barcelona, liverpool (meron plng white and green), manu...

With the recent movements, particularly with the loss of Henry at Arsenal, I believe that Wenger might follow his direction and Arsenal will no longer attract major players. Wenger is largely instrumental in changing Arsenal's fortunes and his ability to spot talents (like Henry, Viera and yes, Fabregas) and transform them into world-class acts is at par with Ferguson, his long-time EPL rival and admirer.

nice analysis buntot..i definitely agree that Wenger has the Midas touch in spotting talents, the following were virtual unknowns when signed by Arsenal Dennis Bergkamp , Patrick Viera(£3.5m...sold to Juventus for £13m),Anelka,Marc Overmars (bought for peanuts and sold to Barca for £25m in 2000...much more expensive than Thierry), Henry(£10m..sold to Barca for £16m),Pires,Wiltord to name of few...However I dont agree with your statement, that Arsenal will no longer attract major players. Because Arsenal does not buy major players, Arsenal creates them! Was Fabregas a household name prior to becoming a Gunner? One star in the making is Fran Merida..another Spaniard on the Arsenal youth team..watch this space he maybe another player to be by Barca,RM,and the rest, in the next 2-3 years.

we could only assume at this stage...the whole thing really started when Gunners vice chairman left the club (David Dein) because of a possible takeover by another American (bastards!) businessman...Arsenal may well be dancing in the same direction and in the same tune as 1. ManU 2. Liverpool...bought by American (bastards!) businessmen as an accessory for their American (bastards!) Football Teams.

As of yet theres no news as to his contract renewal beyond this coming season. One thing that may well hold him to Arsenal is the new stadium...he was involved in the actual planning and design of the Emirates...he may still consider the stadium his baby and may well write Aresnal's history post Highbury. Capello...swahbuckling?...I think the 2 dont mix well....Italians are not and never will be renowed for swashbuckling football.....defensive...shall i say too defensive, slow and boring maybe...that's why I could not finish a whole Serie A game in 1 sitting.

Personally though, I would prefer that Fabregas returns to the Catalan giants and reunite with youth buddies Iniesta and Messi. Their defeat against International showed that Barca lacks a strong midfield anchor and Fabregas can certainly fill that shoes as the lad had shown in its Champions League match against Juventus (versus of all people, Viera).

If ever Fabregas leaves Arsenal..it will most likely be for Barca..as I previously stated he is a Catalunian and will never ever don a Madrid jersey..I could not think of a player that hopped from Barca to Madrid..only 1..that is Figo...what the heck he Portugese anyway...well he is bound to Arsenal for several more years... i wish!

@ redshirt

just dropped kanina sa sm centerpoint, and i went in sa american blvd and saw football jerseys. they sell 2 types. 1 is 500 pesos ung manipis ang tela. and 1 is 900 pesos ung maganda tela and may tatak. i bought an rm shirt; adidas tapos may fifa patch sa right. (blue; alternate away). may chelsea, barcelona, liverpool (meron plng white and green), manu...

I better go to an AMBLVD store one of this days....

Beckham's stay on the US might not be a fairy-tale story as he would have hoped. He is already being ridiculed by some "soccer" analysists.